PDA

View Full Version : Bun Recommendations?

fieldsofflowers
November 28th, 2020, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for buns and up-dos that evenly distribute the weight of your hair (ex. Haartraum's Amish Bun). I tend to secure buns at the nape of my neck, and it becomes uncomfortable if I have to look up and my bun is pushed into onto my shoulders (and I'm very short, so I often have to look up). I loved the Amish bun because my hair was evenly laid over the back of my head and overall my hair felt more light in this style. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other hairstyles like this. I looked through the hairstyle index but I have no clue where to begin with finding hairstyles like this.

Kat
November 28th, 2020, 03:51 PM
I like to use Heidi braids, or a French braid with the tail tucked up underneath, when I want my hair "up" but it needs to be secure/durable. Part of the security of both is because the weight of the hair is more widely distributed.

AmaryllisRed
November 28th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I like Kat's suggestions.
Interlaced braids are very similar to Haartraum's Amish bun. Also Dutch/French milkmaid braids (two Dutch/French braids, crossed in the back and wrapped around the head). Also check out the Madora.
I find anything with root braids is good for weight distribution. And if you're feeling adventurous, a crown braid is super comfortable and well-balanced in my opinion.

Bat
November 29th, 2020, 01:59 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/764832695171547146/782518042978549780/Screenshot_2020-11-29-18-04-48-43.jpg

Seriously though, good luck in finding a bun style!

Elodea
November 30th, 2020, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I like Kat's suggestions.
Interlaced braids are very similar to Haartraum's Amish bun. Also Dutch/French milkmaid braids (two Dutch/French braids, crossed in the back and wrapped around the head). Also check out the Madora.
I find anything with root braids is good for weight distribution. And if you're feeling adventurous, a crown braid is super comfortable and well-balanced in my opinion.

Double buns might be worth a try as well. I also like braided styles (such as the ones mentioned above) for weight distribution, either wearing the braids down or doing a braided bun. Right now I wear double dutch braids a lot. Depending on how intricate you want to get, there are lots of different braided styles to try. Depending on how long your hair is, some styles might be more suitable than others. You could also look up hair taping; it's a way of securing a braided updo.

fieldsofflowers
December 1st, 2020, 08:35 PM
Double buns might be worth a try as well. I also like braided styles (such as the ones mentioned above) for weight distribution, either wearing the braids down or doing a braided bun. Right now I wear double dutch braids a lot. Depending on how intricate you want to get, there are lots of different braided styles to try. Depending on how long your hair is, some styles might be more suitable than others. You could also look up hair taping; it's a way of securing a braided updo.

I've actually tried hair taping with milkmaid braids, although it was very amateur. It was very comfortable, though!

fieldsofflowers
December 1st, 2020, 08:36 PM
Also that is a great meme, and very true :lol:

fieldsofflowers
December 1st, 2020, 08:39 PM
And I just realized I forgot to clarify my hair length which is helpful for recommending styles lol, but it's about BSL, and maybe an inch or two lower at the longest point (my hair is cut into a slight u so it's not even across the bottom....yet)