PDA

View Full Version : Disabled and longhaired - *Public Edition*

MusicalSpoons
November 26th, 2020, 01:24 PM
We had a thread for a long time before but that got moved, however I think it could be helpful to have a thread publicly available for people who might be looking for help or ideas without wanting to join just yet, so they can see it is very possible to have long hair even while dealing with various disabilities.

There is only one rule for this thread:
ONLY SHARE WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH BEING PUBLICLY SEEN.

That's it. If you decide to post here you are welcome to share as much or as little as you like; you don't have to disclose your disability (but you are welcome to if you wish) - you are welcome to post whatever YOU are comfortable with. If anyone is not comfortable responding to or discussing something publicly, they don't have to :)

[I don't actually have enough brainpower to post anything to start us off, but the idea for a public version has been rolling around my mind for a while now :lol:]

0xalis
November 26th, 2020, 09:59 PM
I'm not quite longhaired yet- but I am disabled!
I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, with a side of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome :p
I rely on mobility aids- I used a manual wheelchair for 3 years, now I use a rollator walker when I go to public places in which I can't sit down on short notice, and a cane everywhere else.
Edit to add: I was reading through the non-public thread and realized it included mental conditions. I have several of those too, the most notable being Asperger's, Anxiety, OCD, and PTSD.

In late 2017 I decided I was "too disabled to deal with having hair" and cut my collarbone length hair back to a very short pixie. I kept it super-short until November of last year.
But the thing is, I was born with these disabilities and I have had long hair before, so I know damn well it's not impossible.
It was between waist and hip when I cut it on my 11th birthday, and I grew to APL+ in my senior year of highschool, and both lengths were completely tolerable I just cut for other reasons.
In 2017 I had just been in a time in my life where I didn't have the spoons for much self-care at all, and decided that cutting my hair would somehow be easier.
I find that silly now, because I have to wash my hair far more often when I can't wear it up... But whatever, that was then and this is now!

I plan on growing my hair as long as I can until I get sick of it, then finding a good place to maintain, even if it's not "LHC long".
I liked APL before and it looked good on me, if that's as long as I can grow I'd still rather only grow that far than have super-short hair again.
My disabilities will very likely influence how long I can grow, because my neck is extremely sensitive to weight, and my scalp may end up being that way too.
If my hair is too heavy to wear it in a bun all the time, and wearing it down or braided is the only comfortable option, I'm going to have to accept that I'll never extremely long and supremely good quality hair. Oh well!

Excited for the day I can come back to this thread and post from the perspective of someone who actually has long hair!

Bat
November 26th, 2020, 11:30 PM
I'm not quite longhaired yet- but I am disabled!
I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, with a side of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome :p
I rely on mobility aids- I used a manual wheelchair for 3 years, now I use a rollator walker when I go to public places in which I can't sit down on short notice, and a cane everywhere else.
Edit to add: I was reading through the non-public thread and realized it included mental conditions. I have several of those too, the most notable being Asperger's, Anxiety, OCD, and PTSD.

In late 2017 I decided I was "too disabled to deal with having hair" and cut my collarbone length hair back to a very short pixie. I kept it super-short until November of last year.
But the thing is, I was born with these disabilities and I have had long hair before, so I know damn well it's not impossible.
It was between waist and hip when I cut it on my 11th birthday, and I grew to APL+ in my senior year of highschool, and both lengths were completely tolerable I just cut for other reasons.
In 2017 I had just been in a time in my life where I didn't have the spoons for much self-care at all, and decided that cutting my hair would somehow be easier.
I find that silly now, because I have to wash my hair far more often when I can't wear it up... But whatever, that was then and this is now!

I plan on growing my hair as long as I can until I get sick of it, then finding a good place to maintain, even if it's not "LHC long".
I liked APL before and it looked good on me, if that's as long as I can grow I'd still rather only grow that far than have super-short hair again.
My disabilities will very likely influence how long I can grow, because my neck is extremely sensitive to weight, and my scalp may end up being that way too.
If my hair is too heavy to wear it in a bun all the time, and wearing it down or braided is the only comfortable option, I'm going to have to accept that I'll never extremely long and supremely good quality hair. Oh well!

Excited for the day I can come back to this thread and post from the perspective of someone who actually has long hair!

Your hair quality is great I wouldn't sell yourself short in that department

0xalis
November 27th, 2020, 01:05 AM
Your hair quality is great I wouldn't sell yourself short in that department

You're too sweet, Bat! :o Thank you!

GordonMurphella
November 27th, 2020, 02:34 AM
Don't hurt me :eek: but I'm not sure this is a good idea for the public boards. It's kind of why there are "earned" boards. And there are a lot of very very wierd people out there. JMHO.

Bat
November 27th, 2020, 03:30 AM
I understand what you are saying and that it's coming out of concern, but at the end of the days it's people's choice to post publically about their disabilities, it isn't something to be ashamed of or hidden,

GordonMurphella
November 27th, 2020, 04:23 AM
I understand what you are saying and that it's coming out of concern, but at the end of the days it's people's choice to post publically about their disabilities, it isn't something to be ashamed of or hidden,

I'm not sure where you're getting ashamed or hidden, just not out there for the non-member wierdness out there. Private doesn't mean hidden. Private doesn't mean ashamed.

Peace

MusicalSpoons
November 27th, 2020, 09:18 AM
Don't hurt me :eek: but I'm not sure this is a good idea for the public boards. It's kind of why there are "earned" boards. And there are a lot of very very wierd people out there. JMHO.

I do understand your concern, but the original thread was public for YEARS, until someone posted info they weren't comfortable with being public and it ended up being moved :)

0xalis thanks for kicking us off! Your hair is gorgeous already and I look forward to seeing how far you can grow :D

0xalis
November 28th, 2020, 01:19 AM
0xalis thanks for kicking us off! Your hair is gorgeous already and I look forward to seeing how far you can grow :D

You're so sweet, thank you!!! :o Your hair is also gorgeous, so that's really nice to hear coming from you!

I genuinely appreciate your concern, but as the others have said, this is a place for people who are comfortable posting about it publicly! I hope the private board will become more active as well.

lapushka
November 28th, 2020, 03:59 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting ashamed or hidden, just not out there for the non-member wierdness out there. Private doesn't mean hidden. Private doesn't mean ashamed.

Peace

Agree!

I don't think it's a good thing to tell the whole world there are "those types" of boards hidden here as well, there's a reason people need to pass muster; you never know who it's gonna attract, but all that is not up to me, or little old us. ;)

Obsidian
November 28th, 2020, 04:58 AM
There are weirdos out there who are interested in just about anything to do with hair, whether is be washing/brushing or color yet there are plenty of detailed posts about washing/brushing and all the hair pictures.

In this day and age, the only way to keep weirdos from seeing any info on you is to never post, about anything. Who want to live with that kind of fear?

GordonMurphella
November 28th, 2020, 05:47 AM
Agree!

I don't think it's a good thing to tell the whole world there are "those types" of boards hidden here as well, there's a reason people need to pass muster; you never know who it's gonna attract, but all that is not up to me, or little old us. ;)

Thanks Lapushka, seems you understand where I'm coming from.

And Obsidian, please understand I'm not being any more cantankerous than I usually am, but again, I think you're missing my point. Anyway, I'd better just back out of the room. I've expressed my opinion.

Peace

lapushka
November 28th, 2020, 07:19 AM
Thanks Lapushka, seems you understand where I'm coming from.

And Obsidian, please understand I'm not being any more cantankerous than I usually am, but again, I think you're missing my point. Anyway, I'd better just back out of the room. I've expressed my opinion.

Peace

As did I. ;) :p
Probably not the best idea, but oh well.

MusicalSpoons
November 28th, 2020, 08:14 AM
1) I didn't want people moaning they didn't want to post stuff publicly

2) the link to the original thread is publicly available on the public list of important threads and resources

3) the existence of the Off-Topic parts of the forum is very clearly explained in the publicly-available list of permissions that newbies are supposed to read

4) any weirdos aren't going to find much by way of photos on the original thread

4.5) we as a community are pretty good at identifying and booting off weirdos

4.5.5) permissions have to be manually approved so even if someone hits the post count with rubbish that doesn't contribute, they won't automatically get access

I'll edit the first post though if that will make people happier?

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2020, 09:19 AM
Mod note: mods have no issue with the location or existence of this thread. Many of our reasons are below. Everyone has the freewill to choose what and where they post. The good of providing information to others with disabilities or their caregivers must also be considered.

1) I didn't want people moaning they didn't want to post stuff publicly

2) the link to the original thread is publicly available on the public list of important threads and resources

3) the existence of the Off-Topic parts of the forum is very clearly explained in the publicly-available list of permissions that newbies are supposed to read

4) any weirdos aren't going to find much by way of photos on the original thread

4.5) we as a community are pretty good at identifying and booting off weirdos

4.5.5) permissions have to be manually approved so even if someone hits the post count with rubbish that doesn't contribute, they won't automatically get access

I'll edit the first post though if that will make people happier?

lapushka
November 28th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Gotcha! :)

leayellena
December 1st, 2020, 05:37 AM
I started a similar thread years ago. no matter anyway. I figured out myself that lhc hairstyles are way faster and easier than those pinterest-y hairstyles (no one irl walking out like that though) that are only made for gaining clicks. just check out the lhc hairstyle thesaurus and see what you can do. I'd also suggest you to keep notes of the failed and the success buns just to not stumble upon your mistakes again. also, because of disabilities pains may occur some days and you may not be able to create an updo you create when you don't have pains. keep a track on variations of the same buns if you like. for example:
a cinnabun:
- one day I may have neck pains so simply twisting a cinnabun just doesn't happen. I need to start with either a braid (usually french or dutch braid) or a ponytail base.
- some days my hair gets knotted in my fingers (need to s&d or it's just dry hair) so braiding doesn't happen either. twisting my hair into a cinnabun may also be a problem sometimes if my back hurts.
- 4 days after a wash my hair cooperates and I can pin my sleep french or dutch braid into a cinnabun. call it one of the best hair days.
- on fresh hair cinnabuns don't happen. my hair is too slippery. I get back pains and by the half of a coil my hair falls lumpy and loopsided. starting with a french braid is more stable than a dutch braid on my clumsy fingers. I start with a french braid, a braid that's upper area of my head so in 2 hours my bun will kinda slip down a bit.
- also I never bobby pin my hair. I use spin pins and u-pins.
- also if my hair is freshly washed a cinnabun with a stick won't happen. any bun on freshly washed hair starts with a french braid or a ponytail (scrunchie).
- buns on freshly washed hair are usually knott buns or similar: knot bun or the nautilus for example.
or double buns/braid that never happen in my case. my parts go diagonals and the buns are always loopsided and unequal. just. nope. I will learn how to double bun with ponytail base instead but I give myself time. I am looking for the quickiness in a bun, not necesary the beauty in a style.
I'm still on blogging about my hair and I am about to create my own hairstyle thesaurus.