PDA

View Full Version : Is shedding "short" hairs normal??

ebillan
November 25th, 2020, 06:56 PM
I always feel like I shed a *lot* of hair. For years I've worried I'm going bald and while it's never happened, lately it feels like I'm losing even more hair than usual. I ran my fingers through my hair before bed tonight and lost about 20-25 hairs - and this is after running my fingers through my hair all day at work and pulling out hairs! I took a closer look and a lot of them are really short - like shoulder-length, which is short compared to my TBL hair. They aren't broken hairs, they're straight from my scalp. Does anyone else experience this?? Is this normal?

Bat
November 25th, 2020, 07:02 PM
Those hairs could have possibly reached the end of their cycle so they came out so new growth can take their place

ebillan
November 25th, 2020, 07:06 PM
Those hairs could have possibly reached the end of their cycle so they came out so new growth can take their place

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that all of your hairs would have about the same cycle length? I wouldn't expect to have some hairs with a 5 year cycle and others with a 15 year cycle.

MusicalSpoons
November 25th, 2020, 07:52 PM
No, not all have the same length growth cycle, that's why at very long lengths it will naturally taper as more hairs reach their terminal length. Often hairs from the sides and near the hairline (all round) will have shorter growth cycles than those nearer the middle.

Are you shedding more short hairs than usual, or is this just the first time you've noticed it? I shed hairs of all lengths every day, including some as short as about 4inches long. Considering my hair overall is calf length, I think we can agree those are extremely short :lol: but it's normal for me so I don't worry.

You can keep an eye on it though, and ultimately the thing that will tell you if you're shedding more than usual will be your ponytail circumference :)

Bat
November 25th, 2020, 09:10 PM
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought that all of your hairs would have about the same cycle length? I wouldn't expect to have some hairs with a 5 year cycle and others with a 15 year cycle.

Nope if they all had the same growth cycle we'd be bald when the cycle ends

Amenahh
November 26th, 2020, 12:56 AM
I also shed hairs of all lengths, I think it's normal :)

lapushka
November 26th, 2020, 01:33 AM
I always feel like I shed a *lot* of hair. For years I've worried I'm going bald and while it's never happened, lately it feels like I'm losing even more hair than usual. I ran my fingers through my hair before bed tonight and lost about 20-25 hairs - and this is after running my fingers through my hair all day at work and pulling out hairs! I took a closer look and a lot of them are really short - like shoulder-length, which is short compared to my TBL hair. They aren't broken hairs, they're straight from my scalp. Does anyone else experience this?? Is this normal?

I would not run fingers through long hair... just... no! I mean, I finger detangle myself, but I never stick my fingers in. I "separate" the strands to get sheds out in all the more smaller sections until I feel I got it, most of it. I think running fingers through, so actually poking fingers in, might be good for shorter hair, but it might take out hairs that you just "pull" at and would not have come out if you hadn't done that. If that makes any sense.

I would just limit the mechanical wear and tear on the hair.

If your hair is ii/iii and basically stays in that range, I would not worry.

We all go through periods during the year where there is just more hair there. But sometimes we have to look at our habits and what we do as well. Not that I am accusing you of anything. I mean I hope you don't take it that way. :flower: It's coming from a good place. :o

Hairkay
November 26th, 2020, 10:59 AM
Hair lengths vary and so do their cycles. I've even noticed little curls two inches long being shed. They're some of the wispies that frame my hairline. The ends are tapered. Check the ends of your shed hairs to observe this. Longer hairs tend to get trimmed but the shortest don't.

spidermom
November 26th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Totally normal. When I paid attention, I would notice shed hairs as short as only a few inches.

One way mammals keep themselves warm is by hairs "standing on end", which lifts other hairs up and increases the insulation value (heat being trapped between hairs). Those hairs tend to be shorter and more coarse than hairs that grow longer.

Belgrade Beauty
November 26th, 2020, 11:13 AM
I don't know why, but it also happens to me.. Hairs of All lengths shed...

lapushka
November 26th, 2020, 11:31 AM
I don't know why, but it also happens to me.. Hairs of All lengths shed...

Very simply stated (I like that), and oh so true! :)

Lady Stardust
November 26th, 2020, 03:17 PM
I shed a few short hairs recently and I was really annoyed :) They were from my face framing layers.

I’ve been growing out henna for over 2 and a half years, and the face framing layers are all my natural colour. I’d rather the slowest growing sections (around to the side) would shed because there’s loads of henna still left in there!

ebillan
November 27th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Thank you all for the information!! I feel much better now.
I've always shed a lot of hair, but it was just recently where I started actually looking closely at the hairs and counting them to see how much I was losing. It's a relief to hear about hairs having different cycle lengths. And yes, I do need to stop touching my hair - it's such a hard habit to break!!