PDA

View Full Version : What is your most protective day to day hairstyle?

Boucles d'or
November 24th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm curious! What is your go to (most) protective hairstyle? Which bun or braid do you think protects your hair best and which tools do you use? :)

I'm working in healthcare and have MBL hair. I'm on the search for a sturdy hairtoy that doesn't stick out too much (as my patients can grab it), I can wear every day and does a good job in pinning my hair in the back without pulling it too much. Could you advise me something?

Kind regards!

Bonsai
November 24th, 2020, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm curious! What is your go to (most) protective hairstyle? Which bun or braid do you think protects your hair best and which tools do you use? :)

Usually I made nautilus bun. Sometimes lazy wrap bun.

I'm working in healthcare and have MBL hair. I'm on the search for a sturdy hairtoy that doesn't stick out too much (as my patients can grab it), I can wear every day and does a good job in pinning my hair in the back without pulling it too much. Could you advise me something?

Kind regards!

Do you thought about ficcare? I never had that, but I heard only good opinions... It should be better option than stick for you.

cat11
November 24th, 2020, 04:54 PM
I would do a braided bun with amish pins, or a cinnamon bun. Because the pins wouldnt be easily ripped out and they hold solid like a rock. Both buns are flat to the head too. Milkmaid braids would work too.

My go to protective style is a bun with a stick. But i think maybe sticks are out of the question for you because a patient could snatch it.

baanoo
November 24th, 2020, 04:59 PM
I second cat's suggestion of a braided bun, only I use spin pins when I want to be sure nothing moves without feeling like my hair is pulled very tightly. You might also try a spock bun, I think that would work well with ii mbl hair.

GoddesJourney
November 24th, 2020, 05:17 PM
Spin pins were the only thing that really worked for me as far as practical all day use. At your length I could make a pretty sturdy low bun for military use. It stayed tight even while working outdoors and putting on and taking off hats. There is nothing to grab and the spin pins hide inside the bun so they are not very visible. Two big ones could hold but I preferred four either big or little ones alternating and parallel. I even hasmd some other girls ask me how I kept it looking tight without hair bands. They're not expensive.

Lady Neeva
November 24th, 2020, 05:50 PM
My hair is about BSL, my best bet would be three spin pins in a cinnamon bun and they don’t really pull at my scalp

Saldana
November 24th, 2020, 06:01 PM
When I was working healthcare and needing to really secure mid-back to waist length hair, my go-to was a folded french braid, secured with medium-sized claw clips at the top and sides of the folded braid. Held like crazy (I mean, it NEVER budged), didn't pull (which is super important for me, I can't stand even one little hair pulling), and super protective. Also, inexpensive (plastic claw clips and an elastic), no danger to patients, and essentially invisible. Win win win. :)

0xalis
November 24th, 2020, 07:25 PM
Claw clips are my #1 go-to no matter what length my hair is.
I've had issues with hairs snapping when I insert sticks, but I still use them sometimes for the ~aesthetic~.

Anything that tucks the ends out of the way is great. I do a modified peacock twist with a claw in which I fold down the part that would "peacock out" to tuck my ends in.
I need to make a video of this style eventually I think it's kind of hard to explain in just words lol, hope I did an okay enough job though.
Whatever the style I do, I put my satin-lined beanie over it in the winter. Hair does not like cold!!
The hat is very roomy inside so it fits even with a claw, just have to be careful putting it on so I don't damage the satin.

The thing about claw clips is you want a good quality one, that isn't going to get hairs caught in the joint every time you use it.
You also don't want a lot of ridges where the plastic was put together, those can be rough on hair too.
I use scunci brand ones with a lot of success, they're cheap and easy to find at target.
But if you have really thick hair that breaks most claws, or just want something a little nicer, you'll have to dish out some extra dollars. That's true of all hair toys though :p

ExpectoPatronum
November 24th, 2020, 07:58 PM
My go-to style lately has been a cinnabun held with a four-pronged fork. It holds like a rock all day and doesn't pull on my hair. Spin pins are also great for securing the hair without anything sticking out.

I agree with others that a braided bun would be a good choice too.

Lucy McLucyFace
November 25th, 2020, 03:55 AM
For me it's the lazy wrap bun. Not only is it easy and convenient, it also protects the ends without being tight or twisted and only requires a stick to hold.

Aw just read the rest of the OP. I've seen people do this bun with other accessories so that should keep grabbing at bay

Nini
November 25th, 2020, 06:02 AM
I would've gone with a Ficcare Max and a cinnamon bun. It's been my go to for years. Currently I work in a kindergarden, and although the kids like the Max they don't have access to pull it unless I present the back of my head.

For me it's rock solid and keeps all day.

Deborah
November 25th, 2020, 10:35 AM
Spin pins are very comfortable and hold perfectly.

elise.autumn
November 25th, 2020, 10:41 AM
My protective style (that's so comfortable I sleep in it) is a simple braided bun with a Quattro fork. Here's an example (https://i.imgur.com/mc089H7.jpg) of this style with two lengths of hair (I'm on the left and my little sister is to the right).

lapushka
November 25th, 2020, 11:57 AM
I wear my hair in a bun whenever I'm out of bed and that used to be a LWB (lazy wrap bun), but is now a Nautilus. I tend to learn a bun, then stick with it for a long time. LOL That's just me. :)

For bed it's always down. I barely move in my sleep, and "fold" the hair under my head (side sleeper). It's easiest for me.

Maybe I'll get to learn a new bun soon. I don't know. Depends on my willingness to experiment with it. I don't want to keep doing a bun, putting it up 10 times just to learn it, it will make my hair oilier faster and I am a weekly washer, so it matters to me to keep that schedule, to be able to do so.

But the Nautilus is a really easy one!

I wear Quattro's too. Aluminum forks (2-prong especially) are my very favorite. I used to get them from Ravenslair, and Quattro, but Ravenslair is no longer making any, and it's been a while since I bought a piece from Quattro. At least half a year, if not longer!

Feral_
November 25th, 2020, 12:32 PM
English plait or a bun secured with a hair fork or stick. I don’t (ok, can’t!) do anything fancy :shrug: I honestly don’t know how you guys sleep in buns and braids at the back of your heads!

For sleep I usually do a high ponytail and braid that, or have it loose. If loose I just instinctively move it above the pillow so it doesn’t really get in the way, unless my OH lays on it :rolleyes: I alternate between sleeping on my back and sides though.

MusicalSpoons
November 25th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Most protective day-to-day, for me personally: pretty much any simple bun with a fork. LWB holds great with a 4-prong fork, Nessa bun holds really well with 4 prongs, braided nautilus tends to be rock-solid if I really really need it to be ultra-secure. A twisted LWB secured with a flexi tends to be rock-solid too. Overnight with oiled hair I like to do a Gibraltar bun, preferably secured vertically with a short fork.

A short fork the same width as the bun would likely be difficult to grab (especially if it has a rounded top), and more prongs = more secure.

Flexis and Ficcares are also not easy to pull out, but it depends how grabby the patients are likely to be as to whether those would still be a temptation.

But yes, spin pins as already recommended are fabulous.

You could also (if you have time) do a coronet braid and sew it in place. That would be ultra secure :D though I don't know how long hair needs to be for that. A crown braid would also work but is way more complicated and I assume takes a lot longer than a coronet braid.

Tucked French braid could also work.

Bri-Chan
November 25th, 2020, 02:32 PM
LWB with an hair fork. Easy, fast, stays all day.

Hexana
November 26th, 2020, 12:42 PM
For me a disc bun or my african butterfly hair clip hold the most without hurting my scalp. I am almost BSL.

tseh
December 8th, 2020, 11:16 AM
I work as a practical nurse and my day to day work style is cinnabun held with claw clip

Hairkay
December 8th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Mostly I keep my hair in a number of plaits/braids that can be wrapped into a bun. Sometimes I use twists. Or I have one or two jumbo flat twists with the ends woven back into the hair so it's worn up.

Boucles d'or
December 12th, 2020, 08:28 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies! It is very intresting to read and this for sure helps! I ordered some starlites from Quattro which should be just the right size and plan to look for a fork with more than 2 prongs.

DarleneH
July 31st, 2021, 09:34 AM
I'm on here looking for a better way of protecting my hair than the braid I've been doing, and thought I'd toss this video out for anyone interested. I've been doing a half-up bun, then braiding what's down, but that braid is obviously getting friction and wear & tear. I'm hoping something like this will look uber pretty and give that protection. I can't put it all in one big bun because I get headaches from the weight pulling in one spot, and I don't like how severe that looks on me.

Double Dutch Braid Upstyle in Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G9GqVebSLc

JasminxCat
July 31st, 2021, 11:10 AM
Left down most of the time except before bed I'll keep it in a high ponytail on the very top of my head, a loose top knot, or in a English/dutch/French braid. But on windy days when I leave the house I would keep it secured in a LWB or any type of braid

bparnell75
July 31st, 2021, 11:39 AM
My most worn protective style is a Spock wrap. Its a Spock bun with no thumb so that the loops are much closer.
https://live.staticflickr.com/752/31528750854_0083982531_z.jpg

Lesley8
July 31st, 2021, 03:21 PM
Mine is the nautilus bun with either a hairstick or silk scrunchie.

Pouncequick
August 1st, 2021, 07:13 AM
My most worn protective style is a Spock wrap. Its a Spock bun with no thumb so that the loops are much closer.
https://live.staticflickr.com/752/31528750854_0083982531_z.jpg

I'm curious how you do a no thumb Spock bun. I experimented for a bit but I seem to be a bit spatially challenged and I can't make a stable bun with only the wrap around the fingers.

zhivago
August 29th, 2021, 07:03 AM
I just throw it in a loose bun and go, it's seemed to work best overall for me. Stops me from playing with it

Kathie
August 29th, 2021, 01:54 PM
One that I have to re-do the least, or with the least amount of fuss.

Arciela
August 29th, 2021, 02:59 PM
My go to is always lazy wrap bun :)

cinamio
August 30th, 2021, 06:54 PM
Any type of braid

Allorapisma
August 31st, 2021, 05:40 PM
nautilus bun or loose braid

bparnell75
September 1st, 2021, 10:51 AM
I'm curious how you do a no thumb Spock bun. I experimented for a bit but I seem to be a bit spatially challenged and I can't make a stable bun with only the wrap around the fingers.

To make a Spock bun with no thumb, start with the Spock Vulcan salute. Then bring the pony tail up through the two parted fingers, go under the the two fingers to the front of the head. Next start wrapping around the base of the bun very loosely actually forming a cinnabun around the base of the loop. Do not make a compact base stem like in a nautilus. To anchor, put the stick through the loop around the fingers and push up through the far edge of the cinnabun. Very quick and very easy.

Glitch
September 1st, 2021, 11:59 AM
Mine is a very loose bun (for my headache-free needs) with a silk satin scrunchie, followed by a small claw clip to help keep it together.

MoonLady
September 8th, 2021, 12:11 AM
I've just gotten the hang of the disc bun and that's been my go-to with a U shaped french twist pin

LillyoftheValie
September 8th, 2021, 11:47 AM
How do we make sure that there isn't tension on the hair follicles? I try to style as loose as possible...

PatchouliSoleil
September 8th, 2021, 12:33 PM
I usually go for:
- a single regular braid
- a single French braid
- two Dutch braids

I try to leave them in for a couple days (satin pillow cases help with this!) so I'm not fiddling with my hair all the time, which is where most of my damage comes from. Though, if I'm too lazy to brush out & detangle my hair I generally just throw it up in a messy bun with a satin scrunchie and that seems to also do well.

Since I get headaches fairly quickly from my hair being pulled up, the bun can be tricky to get right so I do try to go for some sort of braid more often than not

sipnsun
September 11th, 2021, 07:17 AM
My go-to for 2 years has been the lazy wrap bun secured with a metal u-pin. It's loose enough that I don't get a headache but secure enough that it will hold all day unless I go for a run. For running, I put it in a braided ponytail.

cinamio
September 13th, 2021, 11:41 AM
How do we make sure that there isn't tension on the hair follicles? I try to style as loose as possible...

I find that using hair sticks for updos helps distribute the weight of my hair better. If I use elastics I feel tension on the hair at the front of my head. I definitely agree with what you said about styling loose when braiding!