PDA

View Full Version : Best alternative to BBB

elvenelk
November 24th, 2020, 01:24 AM
Has anyone has used any brushes that aren't boar bristle that offer the similar stiffness? I have one brush made from bamboo fibres but It pales in comparison to a proper bbb.

SleepyTangles
November 24th, 2020, 05:03 AM
Has anyone has used any brushes that aren't boar bristle that offer the similar stiffness? I have one brush made from bamboo fibres but It pales in comparison to a proper bbb.

Sorry, no clue! It's difficult to find a plant-derived or plastic fibre that behaves like real animal bristles... Hope someone has better advice :flower:

embee
November 24th, 2020, 05:13 AM
Personally I like Denman brushes. I have had good luck even with cheaper knock-offs. BBB never did anything for me.

Feral_
November 26th, 2020, 12:27 AM
Something like this? I googled vegan BBB
https://www.amazon.co.uk/cosmundi-vegan-brush-plastic-packaging/dp/B01N99UF2V

lilbee
November 26th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Vegan "BBB" out of ... plastic ?

Kat
November 26th, 2020, 08:55 PM
Plastic-bristle brushes should do it. They're more stiff than boar bristles; a lot of boar-bristle brushes that need to be extra-stiff are fortified with plastic bristles.

illicitlizard
November 27th, 2020, 03:10 AM
Would plastic do the same as a BBB though in terms of smoothing hair and distributing oils? I thought that was the main purpose of a BBB...

Kat
November 27th, 2020, 06:40 AM
Possibly not, but it might be a case of "one or the other: choose which is your priority." People don't generally use BBBs to get stiff bristles, which is what OP is seeking. In fact, I've seen it said here that one should not expect a BBB to detangle, that that's not what it's meant to do.

illicitlizard
November 27th, 2020, 06:47 AM
Possibly not, but it might be a case of "one or the other: choose which is your priority." People don't generally use BBBs to get stiff bristles, which is what OP is seeking. In fact, I've seen it said here that one should not expect a BBB to detangle, that that's not what it's meant to do.

Yeah, fair enough! Thats what I meant, I thought a BBB is not used for detangling, but I'm unsure I guess what the OP is hoping to gain from a BBB substitute, is detangling the goal?
If so the only options I've seen for 'natural' brushes are wood and bamboo, so if that's not working, no suggestions, sorry!

Carrie's hair
November 29th, 2020, 04:54 AM
I'll be testing a body massage brush that has horsehair. It is cheaper than a boar bristle brush. We'll see if it's as good.

Feral_
November 29th, 2020, 05:53 AM
I'll be testing a body massage brush that has horsehair. It is cheaper than a boar bristle brush. We'll see if it's as good.

The bristles on a body massage brush will be denser and closer together than a BBB, so will be interesting to see how it fairs. One of the issues I had with a softer BBB was it not getting through my hair to the scalp. Now I’ve a stiffer bristled one, and section the hair to brush it’s great :)