PDA

View Full Version : Hair mask fail that wasn't a fail after all

Hexana
November 19th, 2020, 01:35 AM
Hey guys, my hair has been super dry lately and no store bought mask seems to help. Then I came across Brenda Blanco on yt and found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZPIPFrqaNc&t=241s&ab_channel=BrendaBlanco) where she gives a recipe for a DIY hair mask. I am not one for DIYs but I was desperate so I tried it. I substituted coconut oil with castor and olive oil with jojoba (I didn't have anything else at hand).
I HATED IT! It dripped, smelled like sour mayo and it took 2 weeks to get the banana to be as ripe as hers in the video. I left it on my hair for 45 min while adding heat.
When I went to wash it out my hair felt horrible! really ruff and even dryer. I shampooed it with a SF shampoo and then conditioned for 2 min like normally with a cone free conditioner. By the time I was done I was sure my hair would be even drier, crunchy and frizzy.

BUT! When my hair dried it was OK. Not just OK, it was shiny! And soft and not dry at all! Here are some pictures:

https://i.ibb.co/FmVWWPg/after-mask1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rkGbr85/after-mask2.jpg

So I guess what I wanted to say is that this hair mask is pretty good if anyone wants to try it :)

EDIT: Do you guys think I should get a trim? My hair is a bit wet still in these pictures but the ends look a bit ratty.

SleepyTangles
November 19th, 2020, 02:20 AM
Castor oil has always been a pain to wash out ;)

The results are amazing! Your hair looks super soft and shiny. I actually don't think that you Need a trim, your ends look fine to me.

Bat
November 19th, 2020, 03:59 AM
So lovely! I like the occasional wurl I see peeking out!

sipnsun
November 19th, 2020, 06:00 AM
I think it looks great, not ratty at all and the shine is amazing!

cat11
November 19th, 2020, 07:44 AM
Looks nice and shiny! I have noticed too that If I do a mask and its too heavy and leaves buildup, when I wash again and actually get it out its really nice.

Hexana
November 19th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Looks nice and shiny! I have noticed too that If I do a mask and its too heavy and leaves buildup, when I wash again and actually get it out its really nice.

I use only masks without cones, and I clarify 1 a month. But somehow nothing helped the dryness. Except for this mask a bit :) I mean my hair is not 100% better, but definitely more hydrated than before.

MusicalSpoons
November 19th, 2020, 09:42 AM
I use only masks without cones, and I clarify 1 a month. But somehow nothing helped the dryness. Except for this mask a bit :) I mean my hair is not 100% better, but definitely more hydrated than before.

If nothing's really working, maybe you could consider protein - it sounds counterintuitive but our hair needs enough protein to be able to hold onto moisture. I'm glad this mask turned out to help a bit though :)

mary_whitney
November 19th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Oh my gosh! I just came across that video a few days ago and was thinking maybe I should try it, too - although I might leave out the mayo. I'm glad it worked out well for you - your hair does look really shiny.

Also, you have a GREAT color!

Hexana
November 19th, 2020, 11:26 AM
Oh my gosh! I just came across that video a few days ago and was thinking maybe I should try it, too - although I might leave out the mayo. I'm glad it worked out well for you - your hair does look really shiny.

Also, you have a GREAT color!

Thank you! Make sure the banana is really really ripe and blend it well so you don't end up with chunks in your hair. Do report back how it worked for you :)

mary_whitney
November 19th, 2020, 12:09 PM
Thank you! Make sure the banana is really really ripe and blend it well so you don't end up with chunks in your hair. Do report back how it worked for you :)

I will! I'll have to pick up some bananas this weekend. I heard you can put bananas in a paper bag to speed up ripening. Good excuse to make some banana bread, too :)

ExpectoPatronum
November 19th, 2020, 10:21 PM
Oh wow, your hair looks so happy after that mask! Isn't it weird how sometimes our hair can feel bad after a treatment, but then look fine?

I don't think you need to trim your ends. They look fine to me, not ratty at all :flower:

Hexana
November 20th, 2020, 12:12 AM
Oh wow, your hair looks so happy after that mask! Isn't it weird how sometimes our hair can feel bad after a treatment, but then look fine?

Yes, this surprised me a lot. So you really can't know if something worked until your hair is dry.

Mariekeeee14
November 20th, 2020, 07:29 AM
If nothing's really working, maybe you could consider protein - it sounds counterintuitive but our hair needs enough protein to be able to hold onto moisture. I'm glad this mask turned out to help a bit though :)

The same thing happened to me too! Thought I was protein sensitive but they make my hair so smooth!

Yes, this surprised me a lot. So you really can't know if something worked until your hair is dry.

I agree wholeheartedly, I cannot tell if I’ve used too much product for example until it’s 100% dry