PDA

View Full Version : High shedding rate?

meepster
November 16th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Both my mother and I are growing out our pandemic hair, and we are making the identical discovery: we shed hair like crazy. Neither one of us has hair loss (or ever had it), but our floor is covered in hair, our drains are clogged, and there's hair everywhere I look (I sweep up drifts of hair off the bathroom floor - that sort of thing). My wife (who admittedly has short hair) doesn't shed like that, and neither does my daughter (whose hair is longer than mine).

Does anyone here have more hair-shedding than normal, and is there some way to reduce the shedding rate? How does this play out when one's hair grows even longer? At present my hair is not quite shoulder length, and it's never been longer than APL, so I don't know what happens at longer lengths with hair like this.

Kat
November 16th, 2020, 07:38 PM
I was reading a news story just today that people are seeing increased hairfall due to illness and stress right now. It said the shedding rate should go back to normal later, but people can use things like minoxidil in the meantime if they want to, to try to reduce the rate.

lapis_lazuli
November 16th, 2020, 08:37 PM
I think that's true, Kat.

I don't think I'm seeing more than my normal shedding but I relate - I find hair everywhere. I really need to stay on top of it to keep it contained. It's one of the worst parts of long hair for me, and it just gets worse as it grows.

Is it possible you're only noticing it now as your hair has gotten longer? If your hair isn't thinning, then your shedding rate is normal and it's just a process we unfortunately have to deal with :lol:

Kat
November 16th, 2020, 09:45 PM
I don't think I'm seeing more than my normal shedding but I relate - I find hair everywhere. I really need to stay on top of it to keep it contained. It's one of the worst parts of long hair for me, and it just gets worse as it grows.

:

Oh yes. I've said before that some days, dealing with my shed hairs makes me want to shave my head! (You should see it when my shed hairs get together with the kitty's... makes for interesting dust bunnies...)

GoddesJourney
November 16th, 2020, 10:49 PM
I think that's true, Kat.

Is it possible you're only noticing it now as your hair has gotten longer? If your hair isn't thinning, then your shedding rate is normal and it's just a process we unfortunately have to deal with :lol:

This. I shed a lot and so does my mom. Is what it is. My mom has been swearing she'll be bald soon for my whole life. It still hasn't happened. It grows back at the same rate. Nor worries.

Swan Maiden
November 17th, 2020, 07:57 AM
Could be seasonal. I would also suggest getting your thyroid, iron, and vitamin levels checked. It wouldn't hurt to take a vitamin D supplement this time of year. I use birch leaf tea to help ease the shedding. Coffee rinses also help my hair grow faster so you could try that to have your baby hairs catch up.

cat11
November 17th, 2020, 08:24 AM
I think I have a somewhat high shed rate too. But then I wonder if it just looks like a lot because my hair is thick and the pieces are long so 1 shed hair at fingertip is like ... still a lot of hair lengthwise so can look like more in a comb. I don't think its more than it was 5 years ago so I try to relax. If I stress about losing hairs due to covid stress ill shed even more lol

lapushka
November 17th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I gather from the post that it's not always been like that, or that it is something you recently noticed?

Could very well be seasonal!

I keep my hair contained (updo) and only comb it out over the sink; so does my mom. This helps hugely, and she only discovers about 5 to 10 hairs on all of the floors when sweeping. Also get yourself a drain thingie to catch the hair; you do not want to clog your drain! Also comb out your hair prior to hair washing... Anyway, just FYI and a couple tips that just came to mind.

I lose 3 handfuls of hair every wash (every Sunday). And during the week, it still comes out every night when I finger detangle. My thickness is still untouched, and I have had bald spots in the past (start of puberty due to hormones).

I'm not a worrier, though. ;)

mary_whitney
November 17th, 2020, 10:50 AM
I want to add that for me, personally, I shed A LOT more during the summer months. Even when my hair was extremely short. I think it's something to do with the heat and sweating, and probably wearing hair up more frequently. I've always lived somewhere with super hot summers, too. I've seen a drastic decrease in shedding since oct/nov now that it's sweater-weather. I noticed you're in CA, maybe it's weather related for you too?

catysue
November 17th, 2020, 11:53 AM
what I have to do for my own sanity is completely not freak out about the amount of shed hairs and instead pay attention to my scalp. shedding is normal - a LOT of shedding is normal - and shed hairs are much more noticeable and alarming when you have long, dark, or thick hair. significant hair loss will be reflected in the scalp, so if i feel like i notice an increase in shed hairs i'll give my scalp a good inspection. most of the time, there is no noticeable hair loss. make sure you are taking a good multivitamin, eating a healthy diet, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of sleep - easier said than done, i know, but the multivitamin is the most important and also the easiest to do. give your scalp some love with scalp massage, scalp oils, and rosemary tea rinses. i have long black hair and my shedding situation is exactly as you described - all over the bathroom sink, on the floor, clogging drains, etc. this is normal and consistent for me.

meepster
November 18th, 2020, 01:05 PM
I gather from the post that it's not always been like that, or that it is something you recently noticed?

Could very well be seasonal!

I keep my hair contained (updo) and only comb it out over the sink; so does my mom. This helps hugely, and she only discovers about 5 to 10 hairs on all of the floors when sweeping. Also get yourself a drain thingie to catch the hair; you do not want to clog your drain! Also comb out your hair prior to hair washing... Anyway, just FYI and a couple tips that just came to mind.

I lose 3 handfuls of hair every wash (every Sunday). And during the week, it still comes out every night when I finger detangle. My thickness is still untouched, and I have had bald spots in the past (start of puberty due to hormones).

I'm not a worrier, though. ;)

I’ve always had short hair, so I never really noticed just how hairy my floor could get. My mother has also always kept her hair short for the same reason. She actually says that growing her hair longer increases shedding; is that something that can actually happen? It doesn’t sound likely.

I’m curious as to whether it is seasonal. Does seasonal shedding happen in the fall? Fascinating.

And yes, a drain thingy appears to be a must. I just snaked the drain in the tub.

meepster
November 18th, 2020, 01:07 PM
what I have to do for my own sanity is completely not freak out about the amount of shed hairs and instead pay attention to my scalp. shedding is normal - a LOT of shedding is normal - and shed hairs are much more noticeable and alarming when you have long, dark, or thick hair. significant hair loss will be reflected in the scalp, so if i feel like i notice an increase in shed hairs i'll give my scalp a good inspection. most of the time, there is no noticeable hair loss. make sure you are taking a good multivitamin, eating a healthy diet, drinking lots of water and getting plenty of sleep - easier said than done, i know, but the multivitamin is the most important and also the easiest to do. give your scalp some love with scalp massage, scalp oils, and rosemary tea rinses. i have long black hair and my shedding situation is exactly as you described - all over the bathroom sink, on the floor, clogging drains, etc. this is normal and consistent for me.

My scalp appears to be fine - there are no bald spots or anything. I eat pretty healthy, but I’m not exercising as much as I used to; maybe that’s the issue?

Feral_
November 18th, 2020, 01:33 PM
I definitely notice the shedding more as my hair has got longer, but I pretty much do what Lapushka does. I have less shedding when I use my wet brush compared to my BBB, yet I like the latter for sebum distribution as I do WO. Maybe try less brushing and more finger combing or using a wide tooth comb?

PM
November 18th, 2020, 04:58 PM
I’ll second what some others have said. I didn’t notice my shed hairs until my hair started getting to around shoulder length and then I panicked thinking that make pattern baldness had come for me. It hasn’t but I sure thought it had. It took my quite a while to get used to it. I also have noticed that I tend to shed a bit more late summer for whatever reason.

lapushka
November 21st, 2020, 04:58 PM
I’ve always had short hair, so I never really noticed just how hairy my floor could get. My mother has also always kept her hair short for the same reason. She actually says that growing her hair longer increases shedding; is that something that can actually happen? It doesn’t sound likely.

I’m curious as to whether it is seasonal. Does seasonal shedding happen in the fall? Fascinating.

And yes, a drain thingy appears to be a must. I just snaked the drain in the tub.

Longer hair doesn't increase shedding, but it just looks like it's more hair, due to the sheer volume of it when it is longer vs this itty bitty hair. Hope that makes sense. :)