PDA

View Full Version : Big Shed Today

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
For some reason I shed a LOT today. Before I started taking care of my hair, I'd loose nearly a HANDFUL of hair with each shower! Since I began taking care of it I have not been shedding nearly as much, but today I did :confused:. I'm trying to think what I've done differently today. I did use some honey in my vinegar rinse today which I don't normally do, but I noticed I shed a lot just while combing out before my shower, so that can't be it. Hmmmm. I did wait an extra day between washings, but that's never done anything except make my scalp itchy. I hope this isn't going to start happening regularly :(.

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I am wondering if those shed hairs have just come out because you have just washed and they were due to fall anyway. I know I freak out when I get what I consider to be a huge shed but you are getting longer (YAY!) and these shed hairs are more obvious due to the length. Like you probably shed the same amount before but because they were shorter they were less obvious. I doubt the vinegar and honey contributed to this.

Katze
November 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have to agree with Jojo. Not washing, or having hair up, and contained, can allow shed hairs to "collect" then fall out when you do wash. I have had this myself, too, and still have big shed days (though pregnant!) but my hair is still getting thicker at the crown.

Do you shed more if you scalp massage, or shampoo, or without shampooing? It could just be a one-time thing, and probably no cause for worry at all. If it continues over several days, and really happens in a big way, then see a doctor. Otherwise, what you describe sounds normal.

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I HAVE had my hair up a lot more lately though, so hopefully that's it.

Melisande
November 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
From what I read, there is always a delay between the trigger for the shed and the shed itself. Scalp and roots do not react quickly, like fingers touching a hot plate or a stomach fed with bad food. It's only acquired knowledge but it seems logical that the reaction takes some time. A one-time event, especially with beneficial and gentle products like honey and vinegar, won't trigger a huge shed, I'm quite sure. It seems, like others said above, like a normal albeit upsetting day with a larger than usual shed.

I notice that I have nearly shed-less days, and others when big heaps fall on the floor while I comb myself :mad:

Continue to treat your hair well and watch it. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hmmmmm, i have to go back and red my blog, I know a few days ago I tried something and my hair did NOT seem to like it, so I had to wash twice, I bet that was it! Thank you Melisande!!

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ok, a couple days ago I tried adding a little conditioner and EO to my vinegar rinse and NOT rinsing out after. I think I added too much EO too. I noticed my hair did NOT like that and the next day it was dry and gross. I bet that was what triggered it! Whether it was too much EO or just not rinsing, my hair did not like that!

GibsonGirlV
November 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I have a feeling it was just that extra day between washings. I find the longer I go between washing my hair, the more hair sheds in the shower. The hair that sheds from day to day doesn't all fall out, then once you shower it seems like it's all coming out at once...i hope that makes sense...I don't feel like I've articulated that very well...

Fantak
November 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
A change in diet triggers shedding for me. I have to make sure I get my protein in the morning (useually a glass of milk&egg or a peanut butter sandwich) or my hair revolts lol. In all fairness it does give me a week or so leeway though :>