PDA

View Full Version : how many bumps on a braid is considered long?

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I am now an 8 bumper and I still think my braid looks dumpy and small. So silly question but what is considered a long braid?

I personally think a 10 bumper is the start of looking long!

What are your views? :p

Curlsgirl
November 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I am now an 8 bumper and I still think my braid looks dumpy and small. So silly question but what is considered a long braid?

I personally think a 10 bumper is the start of looking long!

What are your views? :p

I think it would vary a lot according to your hair thickness and how tight you braid also. Plus, I am sure if you are a member of LHC it might be skewed a bit also!!! :D

Chromis
November 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
It's long if it's tedious to count the bumps. ;)

Ursula
November 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I agree that it depends on the thickness of your hair, and the way in which you form the braid. A braid arranged firmly will have more "bumps" than a braid of the same hair done quickly and loosely. And thick hair will have fewer "bumps" than thinner hair of the same length. The thick hair will also loose more length to the braiding process.

jivete
November 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I think it's just a physical length since # braid bumps depend not only on length but thickness as well (and taper). Someone with thicker hair will have less bumps that their thinner haired counterpart. I too have between 8 & 9 bumps and I'm about the same length you are. I think by the time the braid length is BSL (bottom not top) it'd start to look long.

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
some good points, I too think a BSL braid would be considered long, but a waist long braid and id be in heaven!

lora410
November 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
some good points, I too think a BSL braid would be considered long, but a waist long braid and id be in heaven!

My bsl braid looks short but swings long (make sence?) I bet a hip length woudl be fantastic :thud: I can't wait :D

Periwinkle
November 12th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I think it really depends on the hair. My hair is waist when straight, but very thick, and so braiding eats up my length, but the tassel makes the braid seem much longer. My braided part finishes just past APL, which I don't consider long, but many of my friends think it's amazing as my hair braided is longer than most people's hair around here when loose.

Duchess of Erat
November 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm at 9 or 10 bumps with quite a long tassel (I don't like to braid all the way down the taper due to layers, it makes my braid too thin). The tip of the tassel just about touches waist, and I still don't think it's long... I would have before finding LHC though.

kate46
November 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't know the answer to your question Jojo but I have to say I love your ideas for threads :).

RocketDog
November 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
anything that swings past waist is long to me :)

akurah
November 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
If you can braid your hair at ALL, you're probably a longhair by modern standards.

That being said, my braids are uber short if I do one braid, and almost twice as long when I do two. The thickness majorly eats my length.

spidermom
November 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM
A long-haired friend of mine once told me 10 bumps counted down one side only = long hair. (I've got 20-22.)

Euphony
November 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM
hahaha great thread jojo! I have no clue what would be considered long - I don't think I have more than 8 or 10 bumps on one side in a braid, but I also have to tie it off at waist due to layers. I like braids, but they make my hair look so short.

xrosiex
November 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I just took my braid out and I didnt count my bumps. Next time I will. I really think this is a cute topic Jojo.:)

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
A long-haired friend of mine once told me 10 bumps counted down one side only = long hair. (I've got 20-22.) OMG thats not long thats supercalifragilitiously looooong!!!:cool:

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I have 2 more bumps to go then!

Its the cold weather you see it gets my brain ticking, most people chatter their teeth or fidget to get warm, me well i just think up crazy threads!!!

Calista
November 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I have nine bumps, and my braid is at lower BSL. Does that make me a longhair, now?

sneakybea
November 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
My braids are always shorter than you would think, because I braid tightly and the volume eats up the length. Plus I like to leave a long tassel, which looks thicker and I can sometimes curl it into a sausage curl using just a comb. My hair's just weird like that.
But maybe I'll count the bumps and measure the tassel next time I braid.

paper
November 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I just started to be able to braid my hair. :) Now, I'll have to count my bumps.

Another goal, 10 bumps! lol

Cute idea, Jojo. Keep them coming!

eadwine
November 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hey fellow 8 bumper!! I am having 8 in a looooose braid (sleeping braid) and I am waiting for the 10 as well. And 8 is long! If you think you had only 4 a while ago ;)

Boudicca
November 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I just counted: 24 bumps and a long tassel. You know your plait is long if, while you're plaiting it, it starts to plait itself from the bottom up.

Euphony
November 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I just counted: 24 bumps and a long tassel. You know your plait is long if, while you're plaiting it, it starts to plait itself from the bottom up.
hahahahaha I do this, it drives me crazy!

Okay back to your regularly scheduled thread :cheese:

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Heck 24???:thud::thud::thud:that is some hair :couch: <---- me hiding until my 8 bumps, bumpity bump a bit more <:pray: please give me another 16 bumps by morning>

Boudicca
November 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Heh! It's quite a mean, thin plait I have, though. I only plait it for braided buns - it's not nice as a plain plait.

Islandgrrl
November 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I have 6 bumps at BSL. It's thick. I'm thinking 40 bumps would be kinda nice......:silly:

Vitalai
November 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Heh, this is a cute, creative thread!

I have six bumps in a snug braid at APL. I think my short-term goal will be 10 bumps.

darkwaves
November 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I didn't know other people counted braid bumps! Mine has only five or six. I braid ridiculously loosely, and my hair is thick.

coppercurls
November 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I agree that it depends on the thickness of your hair, and the way in which you form the braid. A braid arranged firmly will have more "bumps" than a braid of the same hair done quickly and loosely. And thick hair will have fewer "bumps" than thinner hair of the same length. The thick hair will also loose more length to the braiding process.

I agree with Ursula.;)

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Hey fellow 8 bumper!! I am having 8 in a looooose braid (sleeping braid) and I am waiting for the 10 as well. And 8 is long! If you think you had only 4 a while ago ;)

hey thats right gee you have a good memory, I think it was in Feb so I grow 0.4 bumps every 9 months or 4.8 a year, but try telling that to my belly its winning in the ever increasing bump stakes!

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I have 6 bumps at BSL. It's thick. I'm thinking 40 bumps would be kinda nice......:silly:

holy moly now that would be a mean feat!

Lady Godiva
November 13th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Braid bumps alternate in my braids, which usually are medium tight. If tightly braided, the bumps can look more paired-up, but that's not normal for me. Are we counting each and every bump? I can start now...:lol:

happymommy
November 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Now I have a short bump complex...I've only got 8 on my just past BSL hair.

Calista
November 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Erm, we&#180;r counting one side only, right? I mean, if I braid once I get two bumps but only count one? Or do I count both sides? I can&#180;t imagine how some people get more than 20 bumps. :bigeyes:

Chromis
November 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Erm, we´r counting one side only, right? I mean, if I braid once I get two bumps but only count one? Or do I count both sides? I can´t imagine how some people get more than 20 bumps. :bigeyes:

I get more than 20 bumps. Just depends on how long your hair is, thickness and how you braid it really :)

Duchess of Erat
November 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM

This is also a skill thing though... My hair used to do that when it was much shorter that it is now and I somehow figured out how to not let it do that.

I thought of another one: I always start my braid at my nape and braid the first couple of iterations downward, and then I pull my hair up towards the top of my head and braid straight up. So at some point, my hair should be too long for me to keep braiding upwards, I think that would be a moment I'd remember as getting a looooong braid.

sneakybea
November 13th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I think I have about ten bumps, with about a six inch tassel.

Calista
November 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Duchess of Erat, I do the same thing while braiding, but the finished part of my braid starts to form a loop or a "u" - it goes downwards and then upwards again towards my hands. So I imagine that I would always be able to braid it like that. I cannot braid any other way, at all.

Duchess of Erat
November 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Duchess of Erat, I do the same thing while braiding, but the finished part of my braid starts to form a loop or a "u" - it goes downwards and then upwards again towards my hands. So I imagine that I would always be able to braid it like that. I cannot braid any other way, at all.

I just had to try what I do exactly, I keep tension on the hair at my nape, so I will reach a point where my arms are too short to do that... The u-shape thing may work though, thanks for the tip!

florenonite
November 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm only at five braid bumps :( It's going to be ages before I reach ten!

Lady Godiva
November 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Erm, we&#180;r counting one side only, right? I mean, if I braid once I get two bumps but only count one? Or do I count both sides? I can&#180;t imagine how some people get more than 20 bumps. :bigeyes:This is what I was talking about earlier, just worded differently.

If I count ALL bumps, there are 76 when counting the braid in one image of me from about seven months ago, where the braid begins at the nape and has a 6-inch tassel. Counting down one side totals 38.

Robinlyn
November 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I think a 10 bump braid would be great & considered a good length! Can't wait!!

Euphony
November 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Now I have a short bump complex...I've only got 8 on my just past BSL hair.
Nope don't feel bad, I am at my desk bored so I took my hair down and braided it. My hair is about 2" when pulled straight away from my tail bone (36") and I have 6 bumps...6 freaking braid bumps - no wonder my braids looks short.

florenonite
November 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Nope don't feel bad, I am at my desk bored so I took my hair down and braided it. My hair is about 2" when pulled straight away from my tail bone (36") and I have 6 bumps...6 freaking braid bumps - no wonder my braids looks short.

I feel better about my five bumps at can-I-call-this-BSL now.

Isblå
November 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I feel better about my five bumps at can-I-call-this-BSL now.

I have four at solid BSL, no need to worry:)

berr
November 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've got 20 bumps down one side. The top 4 bumps are at the nape and down my neck, as the hair thins towards the ends I have double the bumps of the area at my nape for virtually the same distance. If that makes sense. It's like the top bumps are double spaces because I can never get that part real tight. (or real neat for that matter) My braid is waist length.

Dianyla
November 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
It's long if it's tedious to count the bumps. ;)
What she said. :p

Addy
November 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I have 3 bumps on my braid. I had 4 before my trim on the 1st of the month.

This is the first I've ever said this but... I can't wait for more bumps! :D

jojo
November 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
This is what I was talking about earlier, just worded differently.

If I count ALL bumps, there are 76 when counting the braid in one image of me from about seven months ago, where the braid begins at the nape and has a 6-inch tassel. Counting down one side totals 38.

38??? now i feel stumpy!

wendyg
November 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think it's like what they say about money: if you can count it, you haven't got any.

wg

Sam-I-Am
November 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I have never counted braid bumps before! I have 23 bumps with a 5" tassel and my tassel ends just at the top of my butt crack.

Xan
November 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
A long-haired friend of mine once told me 10 bumps counted down one side only = long hair. (I've got 20-22.) 20-22 bumps Way to go Spidermom besides the fact your hair is gorgeous I thought I would be close but only 15 here I quess I will be patient

Raven69
November 14th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I just did a tight pigtail braid (2 braids) and each are 20 bumps...making my braid hit the middle of my bottom...when straight and dry it is past TB length, touching my thighs.

It really all depends. Short hairs can appear to have long hair due to their braid and long hairs can appear to have shorter hair with their braids...

eadwine
November 14th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I just did a slightly tighter braid than a sleeping braid and I end up at 9 bumps. Thing is that my braids tend to twist these days, like the DNA strands do, so it looks weird :lol:

Euphony
November 15th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I think I'm braid inept, which is odd because since I was about 15 I've been able to Dutch and French braid very neatly, but now I'm thinking I'm doing something really wrong. My hair is currently 36", I did a Dutch braid yesterday tightly and as far down as I could leaving about a 2" tassel and only had 9 bumps (one of which was questionable). And since my hair is still layered my braid got considerably smaller after the 6th bump (that's usually where I tie it off).

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
What a fun way to measure length! It's way dependent on hair thickness and the tightness of the braid, but still neat. I've a friend and another cousin, both with very thick, straight hair below their shoulders, and it's very hard to put into a braid. I've done historical updos on both of them. One I had to put into three or four braids, just so it could wrap around itself enough to hide the ends.

I just did a quick 'n' dirty braid on mine and got 7 bumps to a side, with at least 5" in the tassel.

neon-dream
November 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Well my hair is 31 inches long, but incredibly thick
and i have 7 bumps.
so i think it all depends on the thickness of the hair :)

venividibxtchy
November 17th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I was actually just thinking of this today. I wondered how many more inches of length it will take to create the braid I have in mind?

I have a 10-bumper now, with about a 5" tassle, and it feels...relatively short. At least the layers are blending in better, I suppose...

Arcana
November 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Wow, it's interesting to see the variation in number of braid bumps! It really must depend on how fine/coarse, and how thick/thin your hair is, as well as length. My BSL (it's BSL curly, a few inches past pulled straight) hair has 7 bumps down one side when braided from the nape. And then about a 3" tassel after the tie. Mind you that's a fairly loose braid, and when i do a tighter braid I can get 10 bumps down one side, so that would have an effect as well.

Radulfr
November 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
This is what I was talking about earlier, just worded differently.

That's one heckuva long braid, LG.

I can get 10 bumps down one side, sounds longer than it is.
Wish it would grow to about 15.

Lady Lilya
November 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM

My hair does this even when it is as short as it is now. Since it is curly, the ends of each strand catch onto each other and it happens. I guess with longer hair it is due to the increased friction of the amount of hair surfaces in contact with each other.

Lady Lilya
November 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hmmmm. How many bumps I get in my braid varies greatly based on how wet/damp/dry my hair is at the time of braiding. If I braid it wet, I get a tighter braid and more bumps. As it dries, it curls and puffs up, so each strand is a lot wider than before. Then I can get a very short and fat braid. I don't like the look of those so much, because each bump isn't smooth and shiny like it should be.

pdy2kn6
November 23rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
how long is a piece of string??? it is entirely relative. Long can be whatever you consider to be long. when i used to have neck length hair in school that was considered long for guys, and i considered it long too. Entirely relative on your opinion of long

Elenna
November 24th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Last year, I could only get three bumps (or is it lumps) on one side. Today five bumps look infinitely better.

I thought Lady Godiva was going to say 100 bumps. :D

Arctic_Mama
November 25th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Even with waist length hair I'd only get maybe ten bumps to my braid, because I have ridiculously thick hair, so I don't count bumps. I would LOVE a braid that is TBL, and that would probably be calf-length hair on me (I'm short). We'll see! I consider BSL hair to be 'getting long' and waist to truly be entering the longhair realm. My own hair is SHORT by longhair definition (getting past APL) even though most hair dressers consider it to be truly long. They're weird though :p

Lady Lilya
November 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I braided my hair 2 days ago for the first time in a long while. I was so disappointed to see it. I lost a lot of hair due to childbirth. Now it is only about 2 inches around at the base of my neck. :( Also, I cut off a bunch of it when I was so overwhelmed with childcare that I didn't have time to take care of it. Now it feels so short at BSL and like there isn't enough hair to do anything.

I didn't count the bumps, but it was a lot more than I would have had with my usual thickness. This one braid is like what each braid used to look like when I made one on each side.

julya
November 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I just counted 19 bumps. I remember posting in a thread like this a while back, but sadly I don't remember how many I had last time.