PDA

View Full Version : Unscented Hair Products???

fieldsofflowers
November 11th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Hi! So just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there was any unscented products (shampoo, conditioner, hair masks, etc) anyone would recommend or has tried. I have no allergies to any scents or anything like that, this is just pure curiosity. I use Garnier Frutis shampoo and conditioner now and I think their scents are light and don't seem to stick to hair too much, but I was wondering if there were any truly scentless products out there.

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2020, 09:26 PM
I love Whole Foods’ 365 conditioner in unscented.

akurah
November 11th, 2020, 09:39 PM
There are a lot of unscented products, there is a list someone else compiled here. Be advised the list and post is old, so some may be discontinued:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47921

Some things to consider:
Fragrance free doesn't necessarily mean odor free. Biolage's fragrance free shampoo and conditioner (the one I'm referring to appears to be discontinued) smelled like chamomile, which was horrible for me because I hate the smell of chamomile. But it didn't have added perfumes or fragrances--the odor came from the fact that chamomile itself was an ingredient.
Humans smell bad. Wet hair smells like wet dog. Fragrance hides that. If you do not need to avoid fragrance for skin reasons, you may find you prefer the fragrance.

If you do decide to go fragrance free for whatever reason and find one you like and want to keep using it? Stockpile it like you'll never find it again unless it's a line that's been around for years (I do mean years). Head and Shoulders keeps making, then discontinuing, their fragrance free versions of their shampoos and conditioners (they've done it 2x now), and I've seen other brands do the same thing. This is pretty infuriating to me because I really like Head & Shoulder's fragrance free shampoo, and generally I have not liked the other fragrance free brands I've tried, and I've tried several.

Kat
November 11th, 2020, 09:54 PM
The good thing about fragrance-free is that if the product itself doesn't have a strong smell, one can add one's own fragrance...

Mariekeeee14
November 12th, 2020, 01:29 AM
From that list akurah linked, I've tried the fragrance free conditioner from Desert Essence and I'm pleased! I love the coconut version more though.

I've tried Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment, though with fragrance but if I look at the ingredients list, it's basically the same as the fragrance free version. The only difference is the fragrance. I love it as a deep conditioning treatment indeed!

sipnsun
November 12th, 2020, 05:05 AM
There is a product line called Function of Beauty that you can custom order your shampoo and conditioner exactly the way you want it. For example: with or without fragrance, cones, sulfates ect. I haven't tried it yet but plan to when I use up the bulk of my current stash of Living Proof products. I love LP but the smell is way too strong for me. I'm very prone to headaches and strong scents are a trigger.

Obsidian
November 12th, 2020, 08:05 AM
Field day makes a fragrance free shampoo. It has no scent that I could detect. Sulfate free, not a bad product.

MusicalSpoons
November 12th, 2020, 12:58 PM
Depends where you are as to whether it's available for you, but Faith in Nature do an unscented shampoo and conditioner. I've not used either so I don't know how they smell. I believe Suma do as well, also Free and Clear (bit more expensive). Oh, and Classikool, but again I've not tried them. Not sure whether any are available outside of the UK or EU though.

jane_marie
November 12th, 2020, 01:16 PM
Nexxus Hydra Light Conditioner lists fragrance in their ingredients but I cannot detect a scent.

MusicalSpoons
November 12th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Oops, random double post, sorry!

akurah
November 12th, 2020, 01:38 PM
The good thing about fragrance-free is that if the product itself doesn't have a strong smell, one can add one's own fragrance...

Oh this is brilliant. If I source a fragrance my skin tolerates I am totally doing this