PDA

View Full Version : Starting out for the last time

Starbunny
November 11th, 2020, 02:33 PM
Howdy all.

I am starting my long hair journey HOPEFULLY for the last time. I'm trying to grow from pixie to hips, but I'm trying to keep goals managable (like, make it to my shoulders, then APL, then mid back, then hips...etc.) I'm keeping things pretty simple right now. Washing about every other day to every 3 days with Head and Shoulders + Conditioner. My hair is soft and healthy with this. I have scalp psoriasis, but it is managed using clobetasol after every shower.

I am hopeful that I'll make this goal by my 36th birthday (I'm 32.5 at the moment).

Hope to be a regular around here.

Insights and advice welcome! I've wanted to grow my hair out since I was 18 and have made it only to my shoulders 2x. I really REALLY want to make it this time.

lapushka
November 11th, 2020, 02:36 PM
The best advice is the advice you gave yourself, go in small increments, from one tiny milestone to the next.

Welcome (back). :D :thumbsup:

Jane99
November 11th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Welcome!! Sounds like you have a good plan of starting small. Just stay away from the scissors!!

CuteCrow
November 11th, 2020, 07:45 PM
I think it depends on what your reasons are to cut it short every time. I've grown my hair from very short twice (I've never gotten beyond BSL, so there's that) and to be honest my main advice is to avoid mirrors like the plague when you feel like you are in an awkward stage. And to find a style that's easy and simple to keep it out of sight, I used to do two half-up flat twists once my hair was more than two inches and forget about it until it reached SL.

Lainey
November 12th, 2020, 03:07 AM
I think it depends on what your reasons are to cut it short every time. I've grown my hair from very short twice (I've never gotten beyond BSL, so there's that) and to be honest my main advice is to avoid mirrors like the plague when you feel like you are in an awkward stage. And to find a style that's easy and simple to keep it out of sight, I used to do two half-up flat twists once my hair was more than two inches and forget about it until it reached SL.

Hi CuteCrow... do you mean sort of up at the sides? Did you use claw clips? Thanks

DropStitches
November 12th, 2020, 04:50 AM
Welcome! I've grown out from a buzzcut/basically bald twice, and from a pixie several times - I also hope that this will be my last time on this 'growing from short' thing! What's worked for me is to get it trimmed into a short bob when the front bits (pixie 'ear holes') grow past your ears, and it's a relatively painless journey after that. Others are less bothered by the mullet that develops as short hair grows longer (if you have any curl, it might soften the edges a bit), so you can also leave it be if that works for you, and expect to be able to tie it up in a very short ponytail maybe around month 9 or 10 of the grow out.

I echo what CuteCrow said about avoiding mirrors for the first few months - I really did feel very unfortunate-looking for a good long while! The one thing that kind of helped in the early phase was a little bandana, folded into a headband.

I would add to try to keep busy during those first six months until it might be ready for bobbing - when the grow out process has been best for me has been when I had a lot to occupy me, and I just sort of turned around one day and found my hair had grown without me even noticing it; conversely, when it has been worst was when the worst, awkward phase coincided with pandemic lockdown, and I had faaaaar too much time to obsess about how awful it looked!

Good luck! And know that it will end, and that your hair *is* growing, even if it might not seem like it sometimes!

sipnsun
November 12th, 2020, 04:53 AM
Good luck and welcome back! As long as I check in here regularly it inspires me to keep going, when I leave for any length of time I start thinking about cutting for some reason. I look forward to seeing your progress, setting mini-milestones is a great start!

Starbunny
November 12th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Thank you everyone for all of your insight, encouragement, and support! I have wanted hip-length hair for 14 years, but have always felt pressured to keep it short. I like it short, but I love it long, too, and it is time for a change. I just became a mommy via adoption and I'm ready to lose the 60 pounds I need to lose, grow out my hair, and have a whole new healthier look!

TatsuOni
November 12th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Welcome back! :) I started with less than 1 cm hair, so you can do it too! :)

lapis_lazuli
November 12th, 2020, 10:54 AM
I wish you the best :flower: It'll be challenging, but always keep your end goal in mind to resist pressure and urges. This is your life; prioritize what you want out of it. You can do it!

(congrats on your adoption!)