PDA

View Full Version : Any Equestrians that wear helmets here? Hair protection help.

Aeowen
November 8th, 2020, 08:13 AM
My hair is finally reaching a length (BSL) where I’m getting sensitive about how much I wash it. My biggest issue with stretching washes is that I ride daily. I wear a helmet (because I don’t make a living from my looks) and my hair gets all sweaty and gross. It also means I’m constantly tearing at it to put it in a pony tail or braid (scrunchies don’t hold it).

I’m assuming those who work out probably face the same issues - what do you do to protect your hair? TIA!

sipnsun
November 8th, 2020, 12:42 PM
I used to ride and in shows we had to wear our hair in a bun below our helmet. I don't ride horseback anymore but I do bike a lot and still wear the same hairstyle with my bicycle helmet. I use spin pins to hold it and try not to move my helmet around a lot to reduce friction. On days I get super sweaty whether it's biking or running I will CO wash between shampoos. I wish I could help more but helmets are a tough one!

Pouncequick
November 8th, 2020, 03:09 PM
I don't ride horses but I cycle. I'm not sure how different the helmets are honestly, but this may help. I braid my hair and wrap a bandana - or some other cloth barrier - between my hair and the helmet. Since my hair is longer I like coronet braids because a single braid hangs too low and a folded french braid is itchy on my neck.

Amapola
November 8th, 2020, 07:07 PM
I put my hair in a braid and.... put it down inside my T-shirt. It won't fit under my helmet, no matter what I do. I can have it in a braided bun before I put the helmet on but as soon as I get out that helmet, I just undo my hair toy (usually a Ficcare) and just put it inside my shirt. I drive more than ride but you need to wear a helmet out driving. The reason you wear that helmet is to protect your head, so whatever you do, don't try and compromise your helmet. (DH works in the ER and therefore sees the results of not wearing a helmet and it's not a pretty sight. :()

I have sometimes done a scalp only wash afterwards. No need to wash the length, it's fine, but I do end up with helmet hair. Fortunately the horses don't seem to care. :)

Aeowen
November 8th, 2020, 07:15 PM
Thank you all!! I bought some new spin pins so I’ll see if I can make a bun low enough to not interfere (I have one of the newer helmets with MIPS and it comes down quite low in the back. I will try a kerchief and cowash, and see if I can stand myself day 2 :) It’s hard too because I’ve reached a certain age where I tend to sweat at night too, so just...ugh!