PDA

View Full Version : Will a minute of blow drying hurt my hair?

arylkin
November 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I usually air dry my hair, but now that it's cold outside it takes even longer for my hair to dry and I hate the cold wet feeling forever.

If, after airdrying for a little while, I blow dry my roots (upside down) for about a minute or less (I timed it yesterday and it worked out to be about 35 seconds) my hair is significantly drier.

I never stop moving the hairdryer, so it's never on one part of my hair long enough to make it hot. I did the same movement and distance I did to my hair on my arm, and while it was warm, it certainly wasn't hot.

So, do you think I'm really harming my hair? I wash about every other day so I wouldn't be doing this daily, and only while the weather is cold. I also never ever have a blowdryer near my ends.

What do you think?

Periwinkle
November 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think that that's really going to hurt your hair at all, especially since you're being so careful about it.

If your hairdryer has a cool setting, you could use that, which would prevent damage even more, but I doubt that you'll cause yourself serious damage, especially since it's only as a temporary thing while it's cold.

Chromis
November 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That depends on your hair. I have no doubt that would cause grave damage for me, but some have very tolerant locks. My hair would not tolerate me doing anything with it flipped over either. I would recommend showering after you get home. It's relaxing, solves the going out with a cold wet head problem, and you can normally time it so it isn't sopping wet by bed.

ChloeDharma
November 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I really can't see it hurting your hair. The main things to remember are, low heat, low speed, keep the direction of airflow down the shaft towards the ends so as not to ruffle the cuticle and don't dry it completely so that some moisture is left in the hair.

RocketDog
November 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think it will cause any lasting damage, the only thing I'd be worried about is possible tangling from flipping my head upside-down like that - I know my hair tangles like crazy when I do that ;)

Curlsgirl
November 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I do this too at my roots to speed the drying time when it's cold. Instead of flipping my head over, I lift my hair at the roots in sections and use a diffuser or a vent brush to gently get more at the roots. It takes forever for my hair to dry if I don't do this and I think it's fine.

Kirin
November 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I do this, especially as where i am can get in single digits or below zero occassionally...... wet hair and outside = horrible chills.

Siava
November 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I've been cold blowdrying for the past week, but like others, there's no way I could flip my head. My hair would be very angry. :) I haven't noticed any damage.

Katze
November 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I do this, especially after swimming. If I bike the 5 minutes from pool to house with wet hair, I get an earache!

Air- and towel-drying first, focusing on the roots (and in my case ears), keeping the dryer moving, not drying completely, and using low heat all - IMO - make this "okay." I do prefer air drying but swimming is important for me right now as I am pregnant and still have a broken foot, so I am enjoying the extra volume I can get from some lifting at the roots while drying.

However, i would not flip my hair upside down. Used to do this in high school and got Bigger Hair that way, but my hair was in terrible shape then.

Isblå
November 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I used to have a knitted wool hat that had room for all my hair inside. As I rarely have the pacience to blowdry this is a solution that saves me from most of the pains of wet hair outside. I hope I still have it somewhere.

Dreamernz
November 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
i agree with everything people have said in that a cold blowdry is definitely a good idea, generally i think if you wash your hair rather vigorously and sponge a lot water off with a towel, parts of it will dry instantly by itself, your hair looks similiar to mine so maybe try it out :D

butterflykisses
November 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Just wanted to add my opinion, which is agreement with everyone else =)

I touched a blowdryer for the first time last weekend after not using one for about 3months. It was on the cool setting and my hair felt just fine/normal after.

On the other hand, i used a straightener a while back (also after not using one for about 2 months) and my hair felt horrible for a few days/week after. it took intense moisturizing to get rid of that crunchy, dry, tangly, feeling.

Just try to shower at time when you have time to let hair dry naturally, and blowdry slightly when you otherwise need to.