PDA

View Full Version : Things Longhairs Say

Saldana
October 25th, 2020, 02:03 PM
There might be another thread out there with this, if so, I apologize, mods, please move/combine/modmagic as needed...

Anyway, I'm back here at LHC after a long hiatus, and loving being here. One of the things that spurred my return is something that I said which made my housemate look at me like I had lost my mind, although it seemed quite normal to me. And afterwards, I thought "hmmmmm....the Hair Board would understand.....", and back I came.

OK, longhairs, this makes perfect sense, right...?

"Oh, look, the sun is out....I have a break before my next Zoom....I'm going to take my hair for a walk."

What that means is that I take my hair completely down (no claw clips, bobby pins, etc)....fluff it out, and take it for a walk in the fresh air, let it move in the breeze, catch some sunlight. Then when I get home, it goes back into whatever hair restraint I'm employing that day.

My HM looked at me like I was crazy, but it made sense to me. And it spurred me to return to the community that would surely understand.

What are some things you've said about hair that people just don't get...and you know that you could say them without much thought here, and know that people would 'get it'?

Saldana
October 25th, 2020, 04:48 PM
OK, maybe it's just me....:cool:

Zesty
October 25th, 2020, 04:54 PM
If DH tries to hand me anything when I'm getting out of the car with my hair down I say, "I can't, I have to carry my hair!"

Saldana
October 25th, 2020, 05:22 PM
If DH tries to hand me anything when I'm getting out of the car with my hair down I say, "I can't, I have to carry my hair!"

Well, of COURSE you do! He should know better :)

lapis_lazuli
October 25th, 2020, 05:45 PM

Yeah that's a real one :laugh:

You're not the only one Saldana, and what you said makes perfect sense ;) I can't think of anything specific at the moment except, "I'm unavailable that day - I have to wash my hair!" tends to confuse people.
With all the weird looks I get surrounding topics of my hair, I'm sure I can think of something better.

Bat
October 25th, 2020, 05:54 PM
I'm not a long hair yet but I got one!

"Sorry I can't go swimming today it's not wash day!"

truepeacenik
October 25th, 2020, 06:55 PM
“Sweetie, you are pinning me. I can’t move.”

cjk
October 25th, 2020, 09:15 PM
While working in the yard today began to drizzle, almost a fine mist.

Oh great, it'll be 36 hours before my hair is dry. And I have work tomorrow.

HaMalka
October 25th, 2020, 09:54 PM
"Would you like a hug?"

"Only if you don't mind being stabbed."

Jo Ann
October 25th, 2020, 11:11 PM
"Has anyone seen my hairstick???"

One time, I was sitting outside at work--hair was down, about HL, and I was letting it air-dry during my lunch. One of my co-worker's had his girlfriend over for lunch, and I said my good-byes and started to walk away, bunning my hair as I went. All of a sudden, she exclaimed, "Did you see how fast she made all of that hair DISAPPEAR??"

Feral_
October 26th, 2020, 02:26 AM
I’m not sure ALL the hair in the shower trap is mine...:whistle:

sipnsun
October 26th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Excuse my greasy hair, tomorrow is shampoo day!

TatsuOni
October 26th, 2020, 01:48 PM
When I have my hair loose I tell my boyfriend to hold it, while I put my jacket on :p We do this every christmas, so he's used to it.

When ever someone finds a long black hair. "It's not mine!"

truepeacenik
October 26th, 2020, 02:01 PM
(A pair of longhairs, finding a shed hair)
Is this yours or mine?

(Ok, I do not have that issue, but....)

Jane99
October 26th, 2020, 02:02 PM
“Oh, I might trim off 1/4 inch in January”

cat11
October 26th, 2020, 02:39 PM
"please don't use the last of the honey (or various other food product) its for my hair"

MusicalSpoons
October 26th, 2020, 03:56 PM

In my case, that's actually true! All my hairs are caught partly because they're long and partly because most of them come out when I run my hand down my hair to catch them and ball them up. Then I clean it out after a shower, so any hairs that go down the drain are shorter and therefore must be from other people's heads :shrug:

Instead of 'I need to wash my hair', I usually say I need to wash my scalp. Most of my hair's just fine! :laugh:

embee
October 26th, 2020, 04:16 PM
I've taken my hair out for a walk. It's a grand thing to do in summer - the sun feels so good. :)

ETA: something I say: "yes, just one stick. No, no elastics, no pins... just the one stick!"

C_Bookworm
October 26th, 2020, 05:01 PM
“I can’t move the laundry, I’ve got mud on my head for the next three hours.”

**thing I do that always earns an odd look from the cashier**
Buying 5 bottles of conditioner for every 1 bottle of shampoo

Jane99
October 26th, 2020, 05:05 PM
What would happen if I put that in my hair?

Jo Ann
October 26th, 2020, 11:01 PM
Son: Mom, your hair is all over the place!

Me: What makes you so sure it's MY hair?

Son: First off, MY hair isn't *pick whatever color I'm wearing/have worn in the past* and second, no one else in this house dyes their hair.

Saldana
October 27th, 2020, 07:35 AM
LOL Oh, I *love* that! I'm not a longhair yet (growing out a big chop) but when I was at HL, I heard versions of that as well - one hairstick, 15 seconds - nearly 3 feet of hair vanishes into a bun!

Saldana
October 27th, 2020, 07:37 AM

Right? I gave up on swimming after about BSL - too much wet hair to deal with, especially in the damp, cool PNW winter. I don't use heat on my hair, so essentially if I went swimming, my hair would never get dry until, oh, maybe late June..

Saldana
October 27th, 2020, 07:38 AM

LOL......the other two people in the house are super-short hairs (including the cat), soooooooo.....I could never ever get away with that one....:)

Saldana
October 27th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Is this yours or mine?

LOL - I can hear the ongoing discussion......"Hmmmm....looks like there's about 2" of virgin hair here...you didn't dye, did you?" "That could be mine, but is that 1B/M? or maybe 1C? I didn't S/C today, so my halo is flat..." "Can't tell, oh, look, there's a velcro....I SD'd a lot last week, so it's probably not mine..."

Saldana
October 27th, 2020, 07:42 AM
"please don't use the last of the honey (or various other food product) its for my hair"

Omigosh, I actually said that last week!!

GoddesJourney
October 27th, 2020, 09:10 AM
There might be another thread out there with this, if so, I apologize, mods, please move/combine/modmagic as needed...

Anyway, I'm back here at LHC after a long hiatus, and loving being here. One of the things that spurred my return is something that I said which made my housemate look at me like I had lost my mind, although it seemed quite normal to me. And afterwards, I thought "hmmmmm....the Hair Board would understand.....", and back I came.

"Oh, look, the sun is out....I have a break before my next Zoom....I'm going to take my hair for a walk."

What that means is that I take my hair completely down (no claw clips, bobby pins, etc)....fluff it out, and take it for a walk in the fresh air, let it move in the breeze, catch some sunlight. Then when I get home, it goes back into whatever hair restraint I'm employing that day.

My HM looked at me like I was crazy, but it made sense to me. And it spurred me to return to the community that would surely understand.

What are some things you've said about hair that people just don't get...and you know that you could say them without much thought here, and know that people would 'get it'?

I do occasionally do exactly this. I actually take my kid for a walk, but if the weather cooperates and maybe if my hair is still damp from the night before, I brush it out and let it be down on the walk. My kid cuddles with it and tries to wear it in the mirror before we leave. Then I put the leash back on when we get back (I keep it braided at least 95% of the time).

So I get it. When I lived alone and had no kid, I walked a nearby nature preserve almost every day I could. It was a board walk so I could let my feet and hair be free.

SleepyTangles
October 27th, 2020, 10:44 AM

Me, lol! ;)

Also me, when I have an event that doesn't fit my tetris-like gym/job washday schedule: "Oh great! Now all my plans are ruined!"

Vacurlylady
October 27th, 2020, 04:05 PM
I’m here and always get a look when I say “it’s hair wash day tomorrow”. 😂😂 and “yes, my bun is held with one stick!” I’m actually loving all and everything that goes with my long hair! I would not change it for the world. And when I mention the LHC???? I get a TON of looks. 🤪

trolleypup
October 27th, 2020, 06:57 PM
What would happen if I put that in my hair?
No matter what it is, if it ends up in your hair it MIGHT be a treatment! Riiight? (I'm post wash as a bird hit me with bright yellow poo)

At one job, they waxed the floor overnight...in the morning, the three longhairs checked that we had marked the floor permanently (red, blonde, black). We were giggling for hours.

After getting a ride from someone, reminding them that you probably have marked their car, and their SO shouldn't freak out.

lapis_lazuli
October 27th, 2020, 07:22 PM
Yes these scissors are for hair cutting only!!!!:rant:

Robot Ninja
October 27th, 2020, 07:23 PM
My daughter and I, every time we sweep: "Where is all this hair coming from? HOW ARE WE NOT BALD?"

Jane99
October 27th, 2020, 09:30 PM
I’m here and always get a look when I say “it’s hair wash day tomorrow”. 😂😂 and “yes, my bun is held with one stick!” I’m actually loving all and everything that goes with my long hair! I would not change it for the world. And when I mention the LHC???? I get a TON of looks. 🤪
I don’t think anyone outside my household knows I frequent this hair forum. I do refer to other members here as “the hair people” and my partner was talking about how all the forums he goes on, they always end in arguments and insults and all the regular social media news internet stuff that nobody would actually say in real life. But not here!

purple_omelette
October 27th, 2020, 10:25 PM
"Have your shower first, I'm washing my hair today"

Jo Ann
October 27th, 2020, 10:28 PM
Oh, the muttering that goes on when you have to stop and clean the vacuum repeatedly because of the hair that collects on the beater brush... :tmi:

I'm so glad I'm not usually at home when it's time for someone else to do that chore :whistle:

Jo Ann
October 27th, 2020, 10:43 PM
No matter what it is, if it ends up in your hair it MIGHT be a treatment! Riiight? (I'm post wash as a bird hit me with bright yellow poo)

At one job, they waxed the floor overnight...in the morning, the three longhairs checked that we had marked the floor permanently (red, blonde, black). We were giggling for hours.

After getting a ride from someone, reminding them that you probably have marked their car, and their SO shouldn't freak out.

It's enough to make you wonder why birds don't wear diapers, isn't it.

I'm still laughing over marking the floor! :rollin:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 28th, 2020, 03:57 AM
When I'm on LHC and DH asks me what I'm doing. "I'm talking to the hairies". :p

sugar&nutmeg
October 28th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Oh, I love this thread!

Them: Oh, your hair is so long!

Me: Not really. It's only about 2 feet (~60 cm).

Them. ... :confused:

Jo Ann
October 28th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Has anyone else ever given a bun tutorial in public, to show someone how to use a hairstick? :eyebrows:

Or used their hairstick as a tool at work (great to push coupons into their holder at the cash register) and NOT have a bun drop? :disco:

Vacurlylady
October 28th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Has anyone else ever given a bun tutorial in public, to show someone how to use a hairstick? :eyebrows:

Or used their hairstick as a tool at work (great to push coupons into their holder at the cash register) and NOT have a bun drop? :disco:

🤔 Now that I think about it, I have actually given a hair stick to a coworker and showed her how to use it by putting her hair in a bun for her and explaining how to get some head hair to make it secure. She wears it that way a lot now. 🤗

And, I have also demonstrated how to do one on myself for another coworker. 🤣🤣🤣 so funny. I forgot all about it until you mentioned it....

Ada-banana
October 28th, 2020, 01:36 PM
This thread made me laugh.

“I have hairpain.”
I say this when my scalp hurts, it feel like my hair hurts.

trolleypup
October 29th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Absolutely. Mostly when I was operating streetcars (trams). Drop it (maybe while still moving)(usually operated cars with standing controls), then put it back up at a traffic light...usually too fast for them to see what I did. Maybe demonstrate more slowly at a longer light. Very fast with a no twist single stick style. But I did warn them that the bun requires a lot of length to hold.

Absolutely no change of my bun staying up if I pull the stick, but putting it back up is so trivial, if I need to use my stick as a tool, I do.

Saldana
October 29th, 2020, 08:53 PM
I am *loving* this thread!! I think I have said/done every single one of these things when my hair was waist length (or longer), before the big chops. Getting there again....fortunately, my hair grows pretty quickly, so waist is about a year away for me.

I am STILL laughing about the longhairs 'memorialized' in the waxed floor at work! :-D

LittleHealthy
October 30th, 2020, 04:59 AM
"You're on my hair,"
Daily quote from me.

LittleHealthy
October 30th, 2020, 05:01 AM
Oh, and constantly explaining my bun. I've reduced it down to "go on YouTube and search for 'lazy wrap bun', I promise you it's easy!"

Carrie's hair
October 30th, 2020, 04:33 PM
My guy comes into the house: What's that stinky?

Me: I cook fucus for my hair.

lapushka
October 30th, 2020, 06:24 PM

Not in public. At home, and showed my youngest aunt (this was last year, mind you). She was impressed. :D

cjk
October 30th, 2020, 10:35 PM
Has anyone else ever given a bun tutorial in public, to show someone how to use a hairstick?

Absolutely! In fact, I did that yesterday while I was on site at a kidney dialysis center.

A Jehovah's witness lady and I were comparing hair.

BexLocks
November 1st, 2020, 08:38 AM
Is this yours or mine?

This made me laugh out loud. Totally the situation at our house! And then add in the two long haired cats and the large dog - we obviously don't get grossed out by hair too easily.

TatsuOni
November 1st, 2020, 09:12 AM
I tell my SO, that if he doesn't want hair everywhere, then he shouldn't have gotten three cats and a long haired girlfriend :laugh:

He doesn't have any real problems with it, he just likes to inform me, whenever he finds hair in weird places or vacuums :p

Zesty
November 1st, 2020, 11:01 AM
Is this yours or mine?

My husband's hair is past waist and we have just about the same hair color so... yeah.

We did fuss at each other about the hair left in the shower and both swore that it was the other... Now we have separate bathrooms and it becomes apparent that it wasn't me. :wannabe:

truepeacenik
November 1st, 2020, 12:30 PM
To a salesperson
“Is there a vacuum that won’t be killed by hair on a beater brush?”

And then I learn one model has a silicone flap.
Hmmmmm

baanoo
November 1st, 2020, 06:00 PM
To a salesperson
“Is there a vacuum that won’t be killed by hair on a beater brush?”

And then I learn one model has a silicone flap.
Hmmmmm

uh, as an aside, I bought a miele canister vacuum nearly 10 years ago and in addition to my long hair, have a longhaired husband and two longhaired cats and it's an absolute champ...

Jane99
November 1st, 2020, 08:47 PM
My husband's hair is past waist and we have just about the same hair color so... yeah.

We did fuss at each other about the hair left in the shower and both swore that it was the other... Now we have separate bathrooms and it becomes apparent that it wasn't me. :wannabe:

Haha, A victory for you to not be the drain clogging culprit!

Madeline C.
November 4th, 2020, 02:21 PM
"my head looks like an onion"

Me with my hair slicked back from an oil scalp treatment.

UncommonTart
November 4th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Hm. Time to take out the garbage. Let me put my hair up first.

GoddesJourney
November 4th, 2020, 03:52 PM
^^ on that subject... "That one stays by the bed." (Of the intimate clip or scrunchie that gets the braid out of the way)

For that matter, you can probably say the same about the hair restraints you keep in the kitchen, by the couch, in the car, maybe the garden...

Jo Ann
November 4th, 2020, 11:56 PM
I hear you on the hair toys in the car! I have at least two hairsticks in the console between the seats, a couple of clips and hair ties in the storage box above the stick shift and at least one pair of chopsticks (in their package) in the glove box :D

paulownia
November 5th, 2020, 01:48 AM
When I'm on LHC and DH asks me what I'm doing. "I'm talking to the hairies". :p
How lovely! Hairies= hair fairies:D
In the beginning of our relationship my boyfriend would be slightly puzzled whenever I said : I'm going to take a shower and wash my hair. Then he would come over for coffee and see that I still didn't wash my hair...
- Have you not washed your hair?
- No, I just took a shower...
- Couldn't you wash your hair while in the shower?
- No, its two totally different procedures...;)

Siv
November 5th, 2020, 02:17 AM
This thread made me laugh.

“I have hairpain.”
I say this when my scalp hurts, it feel like my hair hurts.

Haha yes, "my hair hurts" is frequent around here!

Also explaining that I won't wear my hair down or braided for bed because I or any bedmate will get strangled

Bonsai
November 5th, 2020, 04:21 AM
"I can't go to shop! I have half kilo mud on my head!"

victor_tinyduck
November 8th, 2020, 08:47 AM
At the climbing wall with a friend yesterday, while I was up on the wall & he was belaying me-

Him: "The end of your braid is almost in your chalk bag"

Me: "I guess I'm going to have to find a different hair style for climbing :"

Saldana
November 8th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Things heard at my house...(I'm the only long hair)

(looking at the donation pile) "Oh, are you giving that barrette away?" "Yes....my hair keeps spitting it out"

(little jar open on bathroom counter, me gooping my head with something thick and greasy) "uhhhhh.....what IS that...?" "Oh! I finally found a good source of bear grease!!"

(me meaning to send a text to a friend who speaks hair, and sending it to my mom instead)

Me: "i don't do much SD just sometimes E does microtrims for me. right now i'm doing an SMT - just Suave C and some EVOO because I don't have any honey - will SC this afternoon, then put just a bit of argan while damp - that's working well. Oh, and did i tell you - new BBB for b'day! That and maybe a fork, not sure yet"

*send*
*long pause, then phone dings*

My Mom: "...............what.....??"

Oh. Right. Sorry, Mom, wrong chat. :)

cjk
November 8th, 2020, 01:38 PM
"Oh, are you giving that barrette away?" "Yes....my hair keeps spitting it out"

Barrette? I'll send you my address! 😉

Me: "i don't do much SD just sometimes E does microtrims for me. right now i'm doing an SMT - just Suave C and some EVOO because I don't have any honey - will SC this afternoon, then put just a bit of argan while damp - that's working well. Oh, and did i tell you - new BBB for b'day! That and maybe a fork, not sure yet"

I think the scariest part is that I understood every bit of that. Lol!

Siv
November 8th, 2020, 02:22 PM
I got offended for a bit the other day when a relative exclaimed that my hair is so long now, it must be waist length. Yeah, if your waist is at your BUTT it is lol

I guess I felt that I've put in so much work to get to BCL/TBL that assuming it was "only" WL was offensive :lol: I backtracked and realised I was being ridiculous!

BexLocks
November 8th, 2020, 02:27 PM
I got offended for a bit the other day when a relative exclaimed that my hair is so long now, it must be waist length. Yeah, if your waist is at your BUTT it is lol

I guess I felt that I've put in so much work to get to BCL/TBL that assuming it was "only" WL was offensive :lol: I backtracked and realised I was being ridiculous!
Anatomy is a really hard subject! 😉

GoddesJourney
November 8th, 2020, 03:52 PM

I've seen this a lot. I think a lot of people think your waist is at your pants (although these days it often is). This was common thought when everyone wore hip huggers! So I don't count on people's definitions or visual acuity. That's why size charts often include a section on how to measure so people can follow a standard.

Speaking of visual acuity, does anyone else have people only notice your hair length if you cut it? They say, "Oh, your hair is really getting long!" And you're like, "It was until today. I just chopped off four inches!" But to most people that's still super long.

truepeacenik
November 11th, 2020, 09:38 PM
I've seen this a lot. I think a lot of people think your waist is at your pants (although these days it often is). This was common thought when everyone wore hip huggers! So I don't count on people's definitions or visual acuity. That's why size charts often include a section on how to measure so people can follow a standard.

Speaking of visual acuity, does anyone else have people only notice your hair length if you cut it? They say, "Oh, your hair is really getting long!" And you're like, "It was until today. I just chopped off four inches!" But to most people that's still super long.

I think they register “difference”, and the logical thing is “it must be longer.”

When people ask how long I have been growing, I often say I’ve chopped a foot off “recently.” (2018, but whatever)

tuanyiji
October 1st, 2022, 06:34 AM
I am having a good time reading this thread, and here’s my contribution.
Open a tutorial titled “xxx hairstyle for long hair” video and….
“That’s not long, that’s apl/bsl/mbl (or other accurate body markers)”.

"Even though I can strangle you with my braid, I won’t, because that’s too much mechanical friction and your life isn’t worth the risk."