PDA

View Full Version : 4-strand disc bun?

The Lizard Wife
October 24th, 2020, 05:05 PM
So, I like the Disc bun (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137377&page=5&p=3509639&viewfull=1#post3509639) because it's one my hair will actually consent to do, and for me it's sturdy and comfy. But I do it solely as a topknot (drastic undercut, tender scalp, etc), so it makes a sort of fan-shape that is probably trendy but not really for me, and also causes people to call me Pebbles from The Flintstones, especially when I use a large stick.

With a little more length I can also do the 3-strand disc bun (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332), which is a little more work but it's also sturdy and comfy, and I feel it looks more elegant as a topknot as it has a more rounded, cinnabun-type shape. I also really like the two-sticks look since the sticks don't actually cross (which would pull hairs and give me tension headaches), and instead I get a lovely V shape.

In the 3-strand tutorial above, Arctic mentions a hypothetical 4-strand disc bun, but hadn't been able to get it to work yet. At the time I first read the tutorial I tried it out of curiosity, and didn't have any better luck (I'm pretty sure I tried putting the sticks parallel to avoid crossing them, which doesn't hold at all.) But in the meantime, has anyone figured out a good working 4-strand disc bun? I don't see it in the Hairstyle Thesaurus, but.

I think I've come up with two potential ways a 4-strand might work, so I wanted to share my methods and see if anyone else wanted to test it out, to see if it's actually viable or if it's just a fluke of my hair. I've been doing these with very dirty hair, so it's like using a lot of product to get a good hold. I might be getting false positive results here.

1st Method

- Gather hair into a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. The directions for other disc buns say you can use a ponytail holder if you like; I never do. Because I am right-handed, I hold my ponytail in my left hand so I can wrap with my right.

- Divide the ponytail into 4 equal sections; you'll hold each section in one of the spaces between your fingers. So one section between thumb and pointer; pointer and middle; middle and ring; ring and pinky. Make sure the sections are properly separated by raking through them.

- On a 2-strand disc I always do the section on the right counter-clockwise, then the section on the left clockwise. I do the same idea with this bun, except that I have 2 right sections and 2 left sections. So: I take the outer right section, wrap it over my pinky going counter-clockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure to tuck the ends of the tail. The size your loop needs to be will depend on the size the base of your ponytail will be after you've wrapped all the sections around it--so for more length and thickness, you'll want to manually loosen the loop to make it bigger before you wrap. You may have to experiment to figure out how big your loops need to be. Also: one of the selling points of a disc bun is that you don't have to twist your hair, but I always twist at least the loop and a small part of the first wrap, and then usually don't bother to continue twisting down the rest of the section. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel like my straight hair behaves better and the loops have better tension that way.

- Next I take the inner right section wrap it over my ring finger going counter-clockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure to tuck the ends of the tail. Then I take the outer left section, wrap it over my thumb clockwise to make a loop, continue wrapping, etc. Then finally the inner right section, wrapped over my pointer clockwise to make a loop.

- Now I use a pair of hair sticks, which will cross in an X shape. The first stick will go in through the ring finger loop, go under the wrapped base of the bun, and come straight out the other side to exit through the thumb loop. It's a little awkward trying to extricate your fingers, but I find for me it gets easier with practice and because I twist the hair that's making the loops. Depending on how you want your sticks arranged, you have a little wiggle room to rotate the bun slightly to make your sticks more of an x or a +, if that makes sense. The second stick will go in through the pinky loop, go under the wrapped base of the bun and cross under the other stick, and come straight out the other side to exit through the pointer loop. I didn't write down exactly what I did here, but if your second set of loops aren't already arranged so that the sticks will cross, you'll want to make sure you maneuver one to one side of the first stick and the other to the opposite side of the first stick, if that makes sense. One will need to be at the top and one at the bottom.

I found that this did seem to work, and crossing the sticks wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, but while the bun was very steady on the bottom stick, the bun would wobble on its axis if I touched the stick on top. Not enough to be an issue with a small bun, but it bothered me. This bun is taller than the 3-strand, but it's still more rounded than oblong like the regular disc is for me.

So I came up with an alternative experiment that I thought might be better.

(My post was too long because I'm too wordy when I explain! 2nd Method will be in the comments, along with some pictures for comparison.)

The Lizard Wife
October 24th, 2020, 05:07 PM
2nd Method

- Gather hair into a ponytail at the height you want the bun to be. The directions for other disc buns say you can use a ponytail holder if you like; I never do. Because I am right-handed, I hold my ponytail in my left hand so I can wrap with my right.

- Divide the ponytail into 4 equal sections; you'll hold each section in one of the spaces between your fingers. So one section between thumb and pointer; pointer and middle; middle and ring; ring and pinky. Make sure the sections are properly separated by raking through them.

- My theory for this method is that a 4-strand might hold better if I make it as 2 regular disc buns, but on top of each other. I was really sure I was coming up with a terrible idea and was very surprised when I got away with it. So, first I'm going to do the two outer sections and make a disc bun; then after securing it with a stick, I'll make a second disc bun around the first, arrange the loops so I cross my sticks, and voila.

- First I take the outer right section, wrap it over my pinky going counter-clockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure to tuck the ends of the tail. The size your loop needs to be will depend on the size the base of your ponytail will be after you've wrapped all the sections around it--so for more length and thickness, you'll want to manually loosen the loop to make it bigger before you wrap. You may have to experiment to figure out how big your loops need to be. Also: one of the selling points of a disc bun is that you don't have to twist your hair, but I always twist at least the loop and a small part of the first wrap, and then usually don't bother to continue twisting down the rest of the section. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel like my straight hair behaves better and the loops have better tension that way. Then, I take take the outer left section, wrap it over my thumb going clockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure to tuck the ends of the tail. Take your first stick, insert it through the pinky loop, go under the wrapped base of the bun, and come straight out the other side, exiting through the thumb loop. It's a little awkward trying to extricate your fingers, but I find for me it gets easier with practice and because I twist the hair that's making the loops.

- Now to make the second disc, I take the inner right section, wrap it over my ring finger going counterclockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure I am wrapping below the first stick, and tuck ends securely. Then I take the inner left section, wrap it over my pointer finger going clockwise to make a loop, and continue wrapping around the base of the ponytail, making sure I am wrapping below the first stick, and tuck ends securely. (I didn't try it, but if you preferred, I assume you could move the sections in between the fingers where the first sections originally were, if you felt it was easier to work with pinky and thumb than ring and pointer.) Then I arrange my loops so that my ring loop is toward the top (for me, as a topknot, the front) of the bun, and my pointer loop is moved toward the bottom (for me, as a topknot, the back) of the bun. I insert the second stick through the ring loop, go under the wrapped base of the bun, and come straight out the other side, exiting through the pointer loop.

With my hair at least, the bun gets a little taller when I build the base the second time, so even though my sticks are "crossed" I don't have the tension of them both tugging up scalp hair, so this is a very comfortable style. The first time, because I did it right before bed probably, it seemed like the perfect solution. After doing it a couple more times, I'm finding that it has the same "wobbling on the axis" problem that the first method has, although that hasn't actually made the bun not sturdy for me. But my bun is pretty small at the moment.

Another thing I've found is that my ends of the "second" bun are unwrapping. This might be a flaw in the construction, but since I've been wearing the bun all day doing chores and it hasn't loosened, I think it means I simply don't have enough length to keep the ends from popping out. Each strand you add to the disc bun seems to require more length, because the base of the bun gets wider; so even though your sections are smaller, they have a larger distance to wrap around, and need to be getting proportionally longer. Since I've just reached the proper length for 3-strand disc bun with my current hair, I suspect that's the problem.

So if anyone tries this out, let me know! I'm curious if this bun technique works for other people with different hair types and lengths, or in different positions besides topknot. Or if someone already came up with a great tutorial for a 4-strand disc bun and I just didn't know, haha.

The Lizard Wife
October 24th, 2020, 05:10 PM
And pictures, for comparison, because I can:

https://i.postimg.cc/1XRWsL2P/20201023-164601.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: Disc bun top knot, front view]

https://i.postimg.cc/G3z7qmTp/20201023-164636.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: Disc bun top knot, top view]

https://i.postimg.cc/wMWwvwYN/20201023-164304.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: 3-strand disc top knot, front view]

https://i.postimg.cc/ydyQqVfv/20201023-164348.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: 3-strand disc top knot, top view]

https://i.postimg.cc/FsBPXCZ5/20201023-165846.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: 4-strand disc top knot, front view]

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKRfgz6x/20201023-165900.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
[Description: 4-strand disc top knot, top view]

illicitlizard
October 25th, 2020, 12:27 AM
Ooooh! That's super cool, I'd never heard of a 3 strand disc bun, will have to try it! The four stranded one seems a little fiddly for me, but still want to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing your bun making escapades :)

Hexana
October 25th, 2020, 02:07 AM
I tried it (although I thought my hair would be to short for it) and it worked! It's not as neat as yours but I bet with a bit of practice (and more length) this will be one of my go-to stiles soon. Thank you for sharing!

https://i.ibb.co/1LF3mt3/4disc-1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/v3CWmpb/4disc-2.jpg

The Lizard Wife
October 25th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Ooooh! That's super cool, I'd never heard of a 3 strand disc bun, will have to try it! The four stranded one seems a little fiddly for me, but still want to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing your bun making escapades :)

The 3-strand disc bun is definitely one of my new favorites. I'm glad I could introduce you to it!

I tried it (although I thought my hair would be to short for it) and it worked! It's not as neat as yours but I bet with a bit of practice (and more length) this will be one of my go-to stiles soon. Thank you for sharing!

Haha, mine only looks "neat" because it's so oiled and it's hard to see the sheer amount of ends poking out since my hair is so dark, I think. The photo doesn't really show all the ends poking out from the bottom and trailing down the side of my head. I bet it'll clean up as nicely as it looks here when I have another couple inches, though.

Anyway I'm glad you tried it, and thanks for sharing pictures! It looks good; I think all the various loops add a lot of interest. Also, your hair color is really pretty!

ynne
October 27th, 2020, 02:05 AM
The photos look great! :) 3-strand is really cute, and I like the crossing of hairsticks in 4-strand. My hair falls out of a regular disc bun so I can't try them yet, but hoping to see other people's takes on it. :)

Hexana
October 27th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Also, your hair color is really pretty!
Thank you! :)

jane_marie
October 27th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Have you tried doing the four strand as a braided bun? I think that would be where I would start. It seems like braiding each strand might help make things easier to manage in the long run. I'll try that later.

Off topic but thank you for suggesting the disc bun to me some time back. It didn't work for quite a while but now it's one of two buns I get to work.

The Lizard Wife
October 27th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Have you tried doing the four strand as a braided bun? I think that would be where I would start. It seems like braiding each strand might help make things easier to manage in the long run. I'll try that later.

Off topic but thank you for suggesting the disc bun to me some time back. It didn't work for quite a while but now it's one of two buns I get to work.

I haven't tried a braided version. I feel like with my hair braids eat up a lot of length and are less flexible, and because it's straight I get a lot of ends poking out, so I probably can't successfully experiment with a braided one until I have a fair amount more length. I'm also not sure how I'd manage so many braids....put in a ponytail holder around the whole ponytail first, then braid each section, finish with small ponytail holders that I would take out in the wrapping process, and ease the big ponytail holder off over the braids...? I wonder if me twisting each strand sort of accomplishes the same thing (keeping the strands separated and contained) for my hair? If I'm really thorough about making sure no hairs from other strands get caught up with the strand I'm wrapping, my hair's generally slick enough that I can slide my fingers out pretty easily, but I expect it doesn't work so well for other hair types.
(I have a vague memory that I might have tried a braided 2-strand disc when my hair was closer to waist [it's about APL at the moment], and it worked pretty well and looked neat, but something about the way the hair was gathered for braids instead of how it's gathered for the ponytail was uncomfortable to my scalp? Hm.)

You're welcome, and yay! It's such a great feeling when you can get a particular bun to work at last, isn't it?

ynne
October 28th, 2020, 07:47 AM
I haven't tried a braided version. I feel like with my hair braids eat up a lot of length and are less flexible, and because it's straight I get a lot of ends poking out, so I probably can't successfully experiment with a braided one until I have a fair amount more length. I'm also not sure how I'd manage so many braids....put in a ponytail holder around the whole ponytail first, then braid each section, finish with small ponytail holders that I would take out in the wrapping process, and ease the big ponytail holder off over the braids...? I wonder if me twisting each strand sort of accomplishes the same thing (keeping the strands separated and contained) for my hair? If I'm really thorough about making sure no hairs from other strands get caught up with the strand I'm wrapping, my hair's generally slick enough that I can slide my fingers out pretty easily, but I expect it doesn't work so well for other hair types.
(I have a vague memory that I might have tried a braided 2-strand disc when my hair was closer to waist [it's about APL at the moment], and it worked pretty well and looked neat, but something about the way the hair was gathered for braids instead of how it's gathered for the ponytail was uncomfortable to my scalp? Hm.)

You're welcome, and yay! It's such a great feeling when you can get a particular bun to work at last, isn't it?

My hair is curly but the ends poke out anyways!

How did you do the braided disc bun back then, with or without a ponytail base to braid it? I suspect my hair is too short for that as well, but I'd really like to try at some point. :)

The Lizard Wife
October 28th, 2020, 04:04 PM
My hair is curly but the ends poke out anyways!

How did you do the braided disc bun back then, with or without a ponytail base to braid it? I suspect my hair is too short for that as well, but I'd really like to try at some point. :)

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I suspect I put in a ponytail holder at the base, sectioned my hair, braided each section, probably put a ponytail holder on the ends of the braids because otherwise I wouldn't have had a braid anymore by the time I finished the second, and then taken the original ponytail holder off over the braids before positioning my left hand and wrapping as usual. I think what happened was I was trying some other sort of bun that involved a ponytail holder at the base and two braids that wrapped around (it would have been this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avl3ykSPaw4)), discovered that the ponytail holder and braids combo made my bun incredibly tall and also I didn't have enough length, so I probably took out the ponytail holder at the base and said "I wonder if I could just wrap this around as a disc bun?" and tried it. Without the ponytail holder, the braids would have been loose enough at the base that the bun wasn't so very tall, but I'm sure it's a personal preference.

bparnell75
October 28th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Can you show me a tutorial for a 4-strand disc bun?

The Lizard Wife
October 28th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Can you show me a tutorial for a 4-strand disc bun?

Unfortunately I don't know how to make a video tutorial, sorry.