PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive fabrics

Curlsgirl
November 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Do you watch out for certain types of clothing and avoid it because your hair might rub against it and be roughened, weakened and perhaps damaged from it? I have this acrylic sweater that I love (I am fairly cold-natured) but I was just wondering this morning if it is perhaps a little rough on my hair. I wear it up some but get scalp-aches easily so I wear it down or in a braid a lot. Also I bought a really nice light-weight Northface jacket that tends to get my hair caught in the velcro that I NEVER wear now :shudder: . I hate worrying about this but I guess it's another part of taking care of long hair! I am going to be more careful when I buy jackets for sure and other types of clothing too.

Dientje
November 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
No, not particularly with clothing, although I can understand you fear of velcro. I just don't own anything with velcro. Oh, but my scarf knots up my hair at the nape, and I am careful about that (but I love the scarf and insist on wearing it)

But, we have this elevator and the walls are made of panels. Whenever you lean against it (which I quite frequently do) and then want to get out, your hair gets stuck between the iron bars and the plastic panels so you'll leave the elevator with a few hairs less shudder:

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I do, not abrasive particularly but any fabric that is not soft or smooth. I deliberately bought a winter hat, that is fake fur on the outside and has a satin acetate lining. It is washable and warm.

Copasetic
November 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
i don't really pay attention to what fabric my top is made from, but i do watch out for velcro. i also make sure that my hair is out of the way when i do up my zipper. a lot of hair can get caught in a zipper.

i am considering getting pillow cases made of a smoother fabric. i have heard that rough pillow cases can do a lot of damage to your hair.

harpgal
November 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Oh yes, I really am careful with clothing. Any kind of fleecy stuff builds static and catches strands of hair. Also, velco is definitely something to avoid.

kwaniesiam
November 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Usually, but I'm picky about the feel of things overall and if its rough and icky, I don't want it anywhere on me. Velcro can be scary, as can zippers. The best thing is to just keep your hair up if you can, or at least contained in a braid and over your shoulder in plain sight so you know its not at risk :)

Siava
November 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've got a wool jacket that I love, but am hard pressed to wear it. It feels scratchy on my neck so I can just imagine what it does to my hair.

Curlsgirl
November 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
:ponder: Maybe "abrasive" wasn't the right word. I guess I meant "rough" more than anything. :)

MsBubbles
November 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
For my thin hair, woolly or fake-woolly tops are bad news. For warmer weather the slicker nylon, spandex, acrylic mix etc work well - my hair lies flat against it or just slides around on it. Not sure what I'm gonna do this winter though because this time last year I had shoulder-length hair and it wasn't an issue. Guess I'll wear it up more.

may1em
November 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Let's just say I got a new sweater last week. I wore my hair down with it, and when I combed it out to put it in my sleep braid, there were about a million sweater-colored fuzzballs in the hair I threw away. Hair up with that sweater from now on.

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I wear my hair up 99% of the time so I really don't pay attention to the material of clothes but I am aware of fastenings more like zips and press studs more since I got longer when I am putting my clothes on initially, I need to put my hair up before I put my clothes on I guess!

Aisha25
November 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I avoid anything that will be remotly damaging to my hairs like this one Anarkali suit my boyfriend gifted to me it is beautiful but so many designs that will pull my hairs out cause of the stones and ruff gold lining and that scares me too much to even try it on:lol:

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I do use satin acetate pillow cases and I got a deal on satin sheets and a comforter, so all of my bedding is satin acetate.

Medvssa
November 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have satin pillowcases because that is serious rubbing (I move a lot, what? :D), but I do not particularly care for the roughness of the fabrics I wear. My hair is gonna have to put up with me :tongue: it's pretty strong though.

GibsonGirlV
November 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Oooh, I definitely stay away from velcro. In the winter when heavy jackets, hats, scarves and turtlenecks abound I often wear my hair in braids to minimize any catching or pulling.

I tried sleeping with a sating pillowcase, but "fake" satin (as in anything artificial that is not made from silk) really bothers me. I can't stand the feeling of it against my face, and I find it makes me sweat. So, i use extremely soft cotton sateen pillowcases and either wear my hair up while sleeping, or use a satin sleep cap. It definitely helps a lot.

rhodochrosite
November 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Velcro and zipper damage is my winter worry. Last winter, I damaged the ends of my hair from my winter coat and had to cut the damage off (I did so over this past year). My hair got caught in the zipper repeatedly. I don't think the velcro did as much damage (the coat has both zipper and velcro). I learned to tuck my hair in before zipping up. I'd rather have a coat than freeze, so finding a way to have both hair and a coat is excellent. :) I'd have had a coat with buttons only, but I like the heavier coats that tend to be made with zippers.

frodolaughs
November 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I've never had a problem with zippers. I just keep track of my hair when I'm doing them up. Velcro, though, is a huge problem. I can't find a good winter parka that doesn't have velcro closures on the hood. I also want a raincoat without velcro, and they all seem to have it now. When my hair is braided it gets stuck in the velcro while I walk.