PDA

View Full Version : Is there a heat and chemical free way to straighten hair?

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 07:58 AM
Hello!

The past few months I had a lot of fun experimenting to see how wavy/curly I could get my hair. Recently though, I have been doing a lot of braids and find them easier when my hair dries straighter.

I'm curious if there is some way to ensure that hair dries straight without brushing it straight, adding heat or using chemicals. I was thinking there should be some way of wrapping it like rag curls but to straighten instead.

Thanks so much!

Raventresses
October 21st, 2020, 08:13 AM
I would love to know the answer to this too!

I have had "decent" luck with using henndigo. The only reason I don't still is because I want my natural shade of brown to grow out. May need to reconsider though. It smoothed my hair out a bit, and cut back on some of the frizz.

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 08:20 AM
I decided to test my idea of wrapping the hair since my hair was already just wet from my wash (and I'd normally plop so I'm not used to having wet hair on me air drying :lol:).

Here's what it looks like (quite silly but oh well).

https://i.imgur.com/W24aEbv.png

The scarf is made of cotton knit (t-shirt fabric). Hopefully that won't be too rough on the cuticle... Also, who knows if it will actually dry like this sans heat.

Although it looks ridiculous it's very comfy and warm. :)

I'll check back in when it's dry in case anyone is interested in how it goes.

florenonite
October 21st, 2020, 08:24 AM
There IS a way of wrapping it around your head to make it dry straight(ish), but YMMV on how straight it goes. This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_W19d3IDk&ab_channel=CurlyHairDontCare) video focusses on already-straightened hair, but the method is the same if you do it on damp hair (assuming it dries at all like that).

I have 2a hair as well, and personally I have good success with brushing my hair with a Tangle Teezer after I take it down from my towel twist - I still get curly frizzies in my baby hairs, but the general character of my hair is straight rather than wavy. I actually don't even need to comb or brush it wet; for years I thought I was, at best, a 1c even without combing it wet, simply because as my hair dries I tend to run my fingers through it, pull it over my shoulder, move it out of my face, twist it up out of the way, etc., and all of that combines to make it dry straight.

lapushka
October 21st, 2020, 09:40 AM
Other than wet-wrapping it around your head (with bobby pins, switch them over not to leave crinkles, or get the ones without them - they do exist), I don't know any other method. It just is not possible. And a lot depends on how straight your hair naturally is. If it's in the 1s it is very do-able. 2s? Not so sure. Have not tried it myself.

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 10:01 AM
Other than wet-wrapping it around your head (with bobby pins, switch them over not to leave crinkles, or get the ones without them - they do exist), I don't know any other method. It just is not possible. And a lot depends on how straight your hair naturally is. If it's in the 1s it is very do-able. 2s? Not so sure. Have not tried it myself.

It's a bit too early to tell but it looks like this method might be working. I unwrapped the headband/pony wrap after an hour, oiled it and brushed it with my knock-off TT before rewrapping it. I had my bangs "pressed" the first time around and they were already dry (my virgin hair seriously dries in less than an hour idk why). The lengths looked much straighter (with no frizz) and my bangs are super straight and shiny. :)

https://i.imgur.com/D13lwTb.png

Now I just need to wait an hour or three to see how the rest turns out.

cat11
October 21st, 2020, 10:04 AM
There's a member called Glitch who had great results wrapping and she has a blog post about it :)

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 10:10 AM
There IS a way of wrapping it around your head to make it dry straight(ish), but YMMV on how straight it goes. This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i_W19d3IDk&ab_channel=CurlyHairDontCare) video focusses on already-straightened hair, but the method is the same if you do it on damp hair (assuming it dries at all like that).

I have 2a hair as well, and personally I have good success with brushing my hair with a Tangle Teezer after I take it down from my towel twist - I still get curly frizzies in my baby hairs, but the general character of my hair is straight rather than wavy. I actually don't even need to comb or brush it wet; for years I thought I was, at best, a 1c even without combing it wet, simply because as my hair dries I tend to run my fingers through it, pull it over my shoulder, move it out of my face, twist it up out of the way, etc., and all of that combines to make it dry straight.

That's a really cool idea. I'll try it when my hair is dry some night instead of a sleep braid. I'm pretty doubtful it would dry like that though.

I can usually brush my hair pretty straight but it always ends up "puffy" I'm hoping to find a way that leaves it more sleek.

There's a member called Glitch who had great results wrapping and she has a blog post about it :)

Thank you! I'll check that out!

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 12:37 PM
Results

https://i.imgur.com/FCKn6B8.png

It ended up straighter than it would have if I let it air dry naturally but just as frizzy as it would be if I had brushed it straight... my hair also has annoying bumps now and looks like it is throwing a temper tantrum. :lol:

So, while what I tried will work for straightening bangs it's not awesome at dealing with the lengths. Frankly a wide headband might work better for the bangs.

Oh well no harm in trying.

spidermom
October 21st, 2020, 01:15 PM
I use the blow-dryer on warm. I don't think blow drying is harmful unless you do a lot of stretching with a brush and/or use the hottest setting.

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 01:20 PM
I use the blow-dryer on warm. I don't think blow drying is harmful unless you do a lot of stretching with a brush and/or use the hottest setting.

For whatever reason blow drying (even on cool) does not make my hair happy.

An example from when I last went to the salon and my sytlist gave me a cool air blowout.
https://i.imgur.com/uNqrlbY.jpg?1

Generally speaking blow driers make my ends look similar to chemically straightened hair. :shrug:

lapushka
October 21st, 2020, 02:43 PM
Yeah blow drying 2 hair straight is not easy without getting fuzz & frizzy bits. I did it all throughout my teens and always looked like I had been pulled through a hedge backwards. :o :lol: Not that you look like that!!!

jane_marie
October 21st, 2020, 02:53 PM
Yeah blow drying 2 hair straight is not easy without getting fuzz & frizzy bits. I did it all throughout my teens and always looked like I had been pulled through a hedge backwards. :o :lol: Not that you look like that!!!

Oh no, I certainly think that my hair does look like that in the striped shirt pic. :lol:

I think it might be because the ends still want to curl/wave out. :shrug:

MusicalSpoons
October 21st, 2020, 03:46 PM
Results

https://i.imgur.com/FCKn6B8.png

It ended up straighter than it would have if I let it air dry naturally but just as frizzy as it would be if I had brushed it straight... my hair also has annoying bumps now and looks like it is throwing a temper tantrum. :lol:

So, while what I tried will work for straightening bangs it's not awesome at dealing with the lengths. Frankly a wide headband might work better for the bangs.

Oh well no harm in trying.

I wonder whether the jersey cotton caused frizz*? Although it shouldn't rough up the cuticle, I don't know. I just sort of have a gut feeling that satin might make it dry smoother than cotton. Perhaps satin, wrapped really carefully and evenly, and then wrapped around your head to create mild tension? Just a thought.

*Edit: Just to clarify, it doesn't appear frizzy in the pic, I'm just going by how you said it was!

baanoo
October 21st, 2020, 04:44 PM

Ooof yes I know that story!

Jane, the best method I have found for my hair (which is nowhere near as thick as yours!) is to comb it out straight (even finger combing works) then twist it into rope braids and let it dry that way. There’s no significant braid waves and it’s a lot straighter with much less frizz. I also tie a silk scarf like a kerchief over my head and behind my nape to keep it all still. Ymmv but worth a shot maybe?

ynne
October 21st, 2020, 05:16 PM
I know two main ways – the first one is wrapping like Glitch does (same as the video florenonite linked, I tried it once but it was a disaster & needed a lot of combing; your hair is straighter so it might work?). The second one is a series of elastics (or scrunchies), like a sectioned ponytail but maybe more close together.

But I also saw a method really similar to what you improvised. If only I could remember where I found it. :/ I saw a store selling long stripes of fabric (?) for the wrapping, and it was a traditional method of some region, I think.

Your result looks great! And frizz-free.

cat11
October 21st, 2020, 05:19 PM
I have tried the caterpillar "braid" way where you use hair ties to make it into a straight line and had pretty good results with it. Not stick straight but good. it was a long time ago though. And I would only use soft fabric ties not strong elastics personally.

ExpectoPatronum
October 22nd, 2020, 02:01 PM
When you guys talk about using a series of scrunchies to straighten, do you do your hair in sections or all together? I might want to try this out.

C_Bookworm
October 22nd, 2020, 02:26 PM
If I brush my hair in the sweet spot of damp, it makes it much straighter. Waiting until it’s damp/dry makes it poofy, but if I catch damp early enough (like when it’s exiting the wet stage), it seems to help straighten without the poof. Idk if you’re open to the brushing option, but if so I use my wet brush and it’s quite gentle.

Crysania
October 25th, 2020, 09:48 AM
I know two main ways – the first one is wrapping like Glitch does (same as the video florenonite linked, I tried it once but it was a disaster & needed a lot of combing; your hair is straighter so it might work?). The second one is a series of elastics (or scrunchies), like a sectioned ponytail but maybe more close together.

But I also saw a method really similar to what you improvised. If only I could remember where I found it. :/ I saw a store selling long stripes of fabric (?) for the wrapping, and it was a traditional method of some region, I think.

Your result looks great! And frizz-free.

The long stripes of fabric that you saw are probably the 'Kardoune'' I bought one myself and it works.

Here's a youtube video I found for a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNzTNTb6kY

blackgothicdoll
October 25th, 2020, 10:15 AM
The long stripes of fabric that you saw are probably the 'Kardoune'' I bought one myself and it works.

Here's a youtube video I found for a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNzTNTb6kY

I've seen these before but can't find many examples of people with very tight curls using it. I found this video but I'm not sure what she's saying, such as how long it took to dry and how she feels about the results. Can anyone please summarize for me?

https://youtu.be/efVkcoXub8U

Eta: I use the wrapping around the head and scarf method myself to keep my hair smooth when I straighten it. It is very effective in keeping out the frizzies.

AmaryllisRed
October 25th, 2020, 10:35 AM
I used to do something with a scrunchie... I think I did a low ponytail on damp hair and slid the scrunchie lower and lower as it dried.
Nothing works like an iron, though. :couch:

ynne
October 25th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Crysania, that's it! Thanks so much, I wasn't able to find it again. :)

cat11
October 26th, 2020, 10:41 AM
When you guys talk about using a series of scrunchies to straighten, do you do your hair in sections or all together? I might want to try this out.

When I did it I did it with 2 sections and each one I put on I put it higher than I wanted and then pulled it down some to really straighten out the section between. Id say they were each 3 inches apart

jane_marie
October 26th, 2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I managed to get it straight (with minimal frizz) two days ago when I washed last by squeezing the hair straight to remove water while washing/conditioning, gently brushing my conditioner in, and brushing my oil in with my TT when it was on the wetter side of damp, and brushing again with my BBB (with a box fan across the room pointed at me pointed at me.

FOr what it's worth I also switched my conditioner from something that was leaving a lot of dbuild up to Nexxus Hydra-Light.

It ended up smooth, shiny and with 1b texture.

When I did it I did it with 2 sections and each one I put on I put it higher than I wanted and then pulled it down some to really straighten out the section between. Id say they were each 3 inches apart

Did doing it that way create a crease where the first scrunchie went in?

spidermom
October 26th, 2020, 12:07 PM
No argument, just to double check. Those who don't get good results from blow-drying: do you use a product for smoothing and heat protection, or at least smoothing since you really don't want to use much heat? And do you make sure that you point the blow dryer so that the air is flowing down the hair shaft? For good results, you can't point straight on at the hair, and you can't blow up through the hair.

I know all our hair has its own individual characteristics, so I'm sure there are those who do blow drying exactly right and it still doesn't give good results.

P.S: My best hair stylist didn't blow dry right. She always pointed the air directly at the hair.

curlynyi
October 26th, 2020, 12:16 PM
I saw many YT videos with the following method, where you put on your hair and put multiple pins on them and leave it like that overnight. The next day you have straight hair.
When I was little I'd put gel on my hair and comb it until it dries, at least it worked :D

jane_marie
October 26th, 2020, 12:18 PM
No argument, just to double check. Those who don't get good results from blow-drying: do you use a product for smoothing and heat protection, or at least smoothing since you really don't want to use much heat? And do you make sure that you point the blow dryer so that the air is flowing down the hair shaft? For good results, you can't point straight on at the hair, and you can't blow up through the hair.

I know all our hair has its own individual characteristics, so I'm sure there are those who do blow drying exactly right and it still doesn't give good results.

P.S: My best hair stylist didn't blow dry right. She always pointed the air directly at the hair.

Yep. I blow dry properly. I feel like I have noticed that coarse hair might not play well with a hair dryer. :shrug:

That said, I have issues with blow driers anyway. It's too much... stimuli for me. It's too loud and sort of freaks me out. :couch:

So, I don't think I'll be experimenting with changing up my blow drying technique any time soon. :haha:

curlynyi
October 26th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKbfZ6gxeQ

jane_marie
October 26th, 2020, 12:24 PM
Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKbfZ6gxeQ

I think you might be a bit mixed up. As I stated in the post I am looking for a heat and chemical free way to Straighten hair not curl it. There's quite a bit of info online about how to do heatless curls.

I'm not sure how you got it flip flopped.

curlynyi
October 26th, 2020, 12:44 PM
I think you might be a bit mixed up. As I stated in the post I am looking for a heat and chemical free way to Straighten hair not curl it. There's quite a bit of info online about how to do heatless curls.

I'm not sure how you got it flip flopped.

The video I wanted to send was of the same youtuber, lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWHG4m16rCM

cat11
October 26th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Did doing it that way create a crease where the first scrunchie went in?

Slightly. But as I remember I did not do it tightly to my head for this reason. I did the first one at around shoulder or CBL. Sort of pulled it down. It was minimal. I need to try this again its been years.

Kalamazoo
October 27th, 2020, 07:00 AM
I have a comb very similar to the first 8 listed here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bamboo+comb+fine&_sop=15

If I comb my hair with it (when my hair's totally dry), I wind up with extremely straight hair.

Note: Although many longhairs say they need an extremely wide-toothed comb for detangling, I normally use a fine-toothed comb, 8-10 teeth/inch; but these bamboo combs? Mine has 34 teeth/inch.

I know not everybody can do this method. My hair type's wurly, varying from 1b to 2c/F/i.

Another detail super-important to avoiding frizz: Do NOT use a plastic comb! (unless you're combing in the shower with TONS of conditioner!), because plastic combs cause static electricity, which = frizz. Non-static-producing combs can be made of: wood, or ox horn, or bone, or cellulose acetate, or etc. What seems so weird to me is that I haven't ever seen a comb made of anything but plastic in a brick & mortar store. I mean, Houston's a big city, & there are people here who have hair... (I bought all my combs on eBay.)