PDA

View Full Version : Super easy updos for those who know nothing about long hair? Where to start?

LoungeLady
October 15th, 2020, 12:58 PM
I finally have long hair for the first time in my life. I grew up a tomboy. I use scrunchies and jaw clips and that’s it really. I can’t stand the hassle of bobby pins and all these hair tools are like a foreign language to me right now 🤣. I’ll get there but I need the updo for dummies tutorial please!!! I generally just wrap my hair around itself into something resembling a bun and secure it with a scrunchie OR I twist my hair and secure with one large or two small jaw clips. That’s it. I can French braid so there’s a saving grace here 🤣. I have fine thin (but lots of it) hair.... could someone help me with some basics? I Google some of what I read on here but out come bobby pins and I’m out. Please reply with links if this is already a clearly visible thread elsewhere. Otherwise thank you so much- I’m a lost little long haired birdie right about now 🤣

HaMalka
October 15th, 2020, 01:59 PM
There are several threads that may help you.

First, the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus. The 2nd post has an explanation of the tools used. It is an invaluable resource for finding new hairstyles. Some hairstyles you might want to start with are the disc bun, the nautilus bun, the lazy wrap bun, or the cinnamon bun depending on your length and thickness.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554

Second, the Glossary. It defines the commonly used abbreviations on the forum.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874
(https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874)

ETA: Since you can already french braid a tucked french braid might be a good style to try.

Finda
October 15th, 2020, 02:45 PM
Before I was able to use sticks or forks I discovered spin pins (or scroos). They hold buns very securly with only minimal effort. One easy bun is the cinnamon bun. What you described sounds a bit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ewuTEDJjY

This is just one of many youtube videos

LoungeLady
October 15th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Thank you so much for suggesting the easier styles to start with. I *think* that’s what’s hard to find in the stickies but could be wrong. Much appreciated- I have some direction to dig into now. Thank you!

Jane99
October 15th, 2020, 06:14 PM
I’m the same way Loungelady except I can’t really french braid. The buns mentioned above are super easy. My BSL hair isn’t long enough for nautilus bun yet but the other ones I can do. The youtube videos are lifesavers!

knobbly
October 15th, 2020, 06:23 PM
The thesaurus is a great reference, but for my learning style, I need to watch a video and then play it back while performing the movement (years of dance training lol) so written instruction don’t help me much. But everyone is different as far as learning style! I just type in the name of the bun on YouTube and try to pick the person who has a hair type similar to mine.

I know you said you don’t have any hair sticks but you can use chopsticks or a pencil to see if you like it. Or craft dowels are cheap at dollar stores. Claw clips also work well and are comfortable for most people and available everywhere.

sipnsun
October 16th, 2020, 05:43 AM
With this video I was finally able to do a LWB with a hair stick. She makes it very easy and it's now my go-to hairstyle everyday. Before this, I had never used a hair stick or fork and my only bun was a cinnabun with a claw clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LieuoYWtq8&list=LL&index=12

Lady Neeva
October 16th, 2020, 07:15 AM
I would second the hair scroos and also double pointed knitting needles that you can bend into a u shaped pin if you want to make buns

LoungeLady
October 16th, 2020, 10:57 AM
With this video I was finally able to do a LWB with a hair stick. She makes it very easy and it's now my go-to hairstyle everyday. Before this, I had never used a hair stick or fork and my only bun was a cinnabun with a claw clip.

OOOH! I just did this! I feel instantly girly haha! Oh no, this means I'm going to have to buy some hair sticks now, doesn't it?! Thank you. I just needed to start somewhere and everything I was finding was way too complicated! I just need some simple easy options and I'll figure out complicated once I master easy.

sipnsun
October 16th, 2020, 07:01 PM
OOOH! I just did this! I feel instantly girly haha! Oh no, this means I'm going to have to buy some hair sticks now, doesn't it?! Thank you. I just needed to start somewhere and everything I was finding was way too complicated! I just need some simple easy options and I'll figure out complicated once I master easy.

You are very welcome! I was excited when I came across her videos, there are a few good ones! You have opened a huge can of worms, hair toys are addictive lol!

Brethil
October 16th, 2020, 11:47 PM

Buy, or make! Wooden ones are super quick and easy if you have a tree to cut a branch off of and a pocket knife, but there are a number of different options including the above knitting needles.

I fell instantly in love when I discovered hairstick buns as well. So quick! So easy! So comfortable! If you want to be extra fancy and dressy, you can follow any of the gazillion fancy french braid updo tutorials (google 'french braid updo") and just do a hairstick bun instead of the one originally in the tutorial. Add a few face framing bits and you are set. I also recommend keeping an emergency hairstick in your purse, for when you just need your hair off your neck or out of the way.

LoungeLady
October 17th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Buy, or make! Wooden ones are super quick and easy if you have a tree to cut a branch off of and a pocket knife, but there are a number of different options including the above knitting needles.

I fell instantly in love when I discovered hairstick buns as well. So quick! So easy! So comfortable! If you want to be extra fancy and dressy, you can follow any of the gazillion fancy french braid updo tutorials (google 'french braid updo") and just do a hairstick bun instead of the one originally in the tutorial. Add a few face framing bits and you are set. I also recommend keeping an emergency hairstick in your purse, for when you just need your hair off your neck or out of the way.

Awesome idea! We just pulled down some cedar branches. I just walked out back and started whittling 🤣. Thanks for what will be today’s obsessive hobby. I’m so glad I asked a simple question and stopped the bobby pin rabbit hole I falling down. Thank you all so much. Made my first post here an amazing experience- I was feeling self conscious because I just never grew up knowing anything about hair or hair care and my once shaved head is now full of this stuff I hardly know what to do with 🤣. Thank you all

Brethil
October 17th, 2020, 09:28 AM
I thought a self professed tomboy might know how to whittle. Hope you have fun!

My bits of advice on carving, which you may not need: I like to start with a stick 2.5-3 times the desired final diameter and a bit longer than you want. Choose a bit with as few knots as possible. Straight is easier, but curves can be really awesome in the final product. Green wood is good, easier to work. I've never had any problems with strength with any species of wood, but if your hair likes to break hairtoys that might be a concern. Obviously nothing sticky like pine.

I start by splitting the wood into quarters, that way I don't have to deal with the pithy middle, which is always RIGHT in the pointy bit of any whole stick hairstick I've tried to make. Strip away the bark and carve away the pith & the torn bits from the splitting. At this point there is always a narrower end that obviously should be the point. Taper down to that end, turning it as you go so you can see any ugly shapes and carve them off. Sometimes there will be a lovely shape to the wood you can just follow and emphasize. Make sure it ends up quite smooth-you don't want any rough bits to catch in your hair. Give it a good sanding, and put up your hair! Some people stain, oil, paint or shellac them, but I always just leave the bare wood. The oils in your hair will eventually coat it anyway. And that way you don't have to wait for it to dry.

You'll want a stick that is a bit longer than your bun is wide. It can be longer, of course, but that tends to look funny. Width is pretty much entirely a matter of preference. Mine end up being very pointy and tapered, but I've seen a lot of blunter chunkier ones for sale so they probably work great too.

ZoeZ
October 17th, 2020, 01:51 PM

My bits of advice on carving, which you may not need: I like to start with a stick 2.5-3 times the desired final diameter and a bit longer than you want. Choose a bit with as few knots as possible. Straight is easier, but curves can be really awesome in the final product. Green wood is good, easier to work. I've never had any problems with strength with any species of wood, but if your hair likes to break hairtoys that might be a concern. Obviously nothing sticky like pine.

I start by splitting the wood into quarters, that way I don't have to deal with the pithy middle, which is always RIGHT in the pointy bit of any whole stick hairstick I've tried to make. Strip away the bark and carve away the pith & the torn bits from the splitting. At this point there is always a narrower end that obviously should be the point. Taper down to that end, turning it as you go so you can see any ugly shapes and carve them off. Sometimes there will be a lovely shape to the wood you can just follow and emphasize. Make sure it ends up quite smooth-you don't want any rough bits to catch in your hair. Give it a good sanding, and put up your hair! Some people stain, oil, paint or shellac them, but I always just leave the bare wood. The oils in your hair will eventually coat it anyway. And that way you don't have to wait for it to dry.

You'll want a stick that is a bit longer than your bun is wide. It can be longer, of course, but that tends to look funny. Width is pretty much entirely a matter of preference. Mine end up being very pointy and tapered, but I've seen a lot of blunter chunkier ones for sale so they probably work great too.

Some excellent tips here, thank you! I never thought about the pith thing either (and I'm a woodworker from way back - but only bought wood, lol. I will try this.

LoungeLady
October 18th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Wow! Thanks! I also would not have thought to use non-pithy parts of the wood- super helpful. Thanks so much!!!

LoungeLady
October 19th, 2020, 10:14 AM
I'm so new here that I don't know how to post a photo yet (can that be done by phone??) but I did make one quick and easy one with the branch I played with yesterday.... it's in my hair now! She isn't pretty but she works.... I used a super fine grit sander at the end to smooth it all out. Yay. OK - now back to the simple updos haha.... thanks again!

MsBubbles
October 19th, 2020, 10:30 AM
The first 'bun' I was ever able to do with my hair (which mostly just jumped out of any updo) was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElSCHnzYtM8

I liked it back in the day because I could just shove some really small claw clips in either side and it'd hold all day. I think I wore this for a good three years before daring to try other buns.

MusicalSpoons
October 21st, 2020, 03:58 PM
I'm so new here that I don't know how to post a photo yet (can that be done by phone??) but I did make one quick and easy one with the branch I played with yesterday.... it's in my hair now! She isn't pretty but she works.... I used a super fine grit sander at the end to smooth it all out. Yay. OK - now back to the simple updos haha.... thanks again!

Upload to a hosting site, then you can post either the link or the BBCode :) To upload pics to an LHC album you need 25+ posts.

Jane99
October 21st, 2020, 07:00 PM
I am not a whittler so I ended up getting some buffalo bone sticks cheap from a guy on etsy. I think they were like $3 or $4 a piece and I got two. It’s been months and I haven’t lost them yet! And I like having bones in my hair :)

Bonsai
October 22nd, 2020, 12:59 AM
So... I was waiting for "month style" every month... because I wanted learn what I can do with my hair... and I never thought all hair style can be on one place?

I love it and... I feel like idiot (but really happy idiot, who learned how play with hair ;) )

Feral_
October 22nd, 2020, 04:36 AM

I had to watch this a couple of times and mirror image it in my brain as I use the other hand, but it works! It’s a nice looking bun with the two loops.. most buns on me just look like the hair’s being restrained rather than styled :rolleyes: so thank you Sipnsun for this!

Bonsai
October 22nd, 2020, 05:05 AM
How I missed this video?

Maybe this Lazy Wrap Bun be working with my hair :p

sipnsun
October 22nd, 2020, 08:02 AM
I had to watch this a couple of times and mirror image it in my brain as I use the other hand, but it works! It’s a nice looking bun with the two loops.. most buns on me just look like the hair’s being restrained rather than styled :rolleyes: so thank you Sipnsun for this!

You're welcome! I watched a bunch of videos before I found this one and it was the first one I could do successfully that held all day! I figured if it held her hair which is shorter than mine, it would hold my thin slippery hair and it did!

sipnsun
October 22nd, 2020, 08:03 AM
Yay Bonsai, she has a couple more videos that are worth checking out as well!

LoungeLady
October 22nd, 2020, 11:25 AM
I am not a whittler so I ended up getting some buffalo bone sticks cheap from a guy on etsy. I think they were like $3 or $4 a piece and I got two. It’s been months and I haven’t lost them yet! And I like having bones in my hair :)
Oh that’s a good idea! I may (eek) have something similar already- my mom had a collection of such things at one point! Off to check!

LoungeLady
October 22nd, 2020, 11:29 AM
You're welcome! I watched a bunch of videos before I found this one and it was the first one I could do successfully that held all day! I figured if it held her hair which is shorter than mine, it would hold my thin slippery hair and it did!
Yes, double thanks! My hair is in this right now- it’s basically all I’ve worn since you posted it. It’s so comfortable alllll day! I also have fine slippery hair - so grateful this works! I found a disc bun video that worked for me too but this one is just so easy once you get the hang of it. I truly was considering cutting my hair because it was starting to be problematic in claw clips or scrunchies all day- the one stick buns I’ve worn since starting this thread have been game changers (oh and making my own hair stick! Cool!)!