PDA

View Full Version : How much hair do you shed per day?

Dominga
October 12th, 2020, 01:46 AM
I don't think I saw other posts talking about hair shedding/seasonal shedding.
I was curious to see how much hair you lose, I do lose 50/70 hairs per day which to me feels like a lot even tho is normal ;)
I wash my hair twice some times once a week and I shed a LOT of hair maybe more than 150 every wash day:eek:
This kinda affects me, I'm scared I'm gonna go bald some day :bigeyes::uhh:

Nini
October 12th, 2020, 01:49 AM
I have no idea :) But as my braid stays pretty much the same and I don't have any bald spots forming I figure I'm good.

Dominga
October 12th, 2020, 01:51 AM
Same here, I don't notice any bald spots and my pony circumference stays the same! But sometimes the fear is real :lol:

lapushka
October 12th, 2020, 03:26 AM
Same here, I don't notice any bald spots and my pony circumference stays the same! But sometimes the fear is real :lol:

Worrying about it is what makes it worse. ;)

I'm all with Nini as that is so true.

I went through bald spots and excessive (chunks of) shedding at the start of puberty, it was something hormonal that was out of whack but after about a year it readjusted itself fine.

Shedding is perfectly normal. It's when you start to actually look at it that you get freaked out. :lol: So just, don't look at it too too much. Besides the longer the hair gets, the more it seems.

I lose 3x a palm full of hair during my washing process. And then what comes out finger detangling throughout the week.

Still, my circumference? If at all, I measure it yearly, but I eyeball it now, so no longer with the tape measure. I figure it's all good if I don't lose chunks.

Individual hairs = normal. Chunks? Call the doctor.

Milynn
October 12th, 2020, 03:45 AM
For me, this varies - during spring and summer I seem to lose around 30 per day if even that, during autumn the number is apparently twice that, 65 - 80. Probably normal, though it does make me freak out some times. Logically, this evens out and the total average of a year would be ~50.

Still, this (hopefully) seasonal shedding period is scary.

Bonsai
October 12th, 2020, 07:01 AM
For me, this varies - during spring and summer I seem to lose around 30 per day if even that, during autumn the number is apparently twice that, 65 - 80. Probably normal, though it does make me freak out some times. Logically, this evens out and the total average of a year would be ~50.

Still, this (hopefully) seasonal shedding period is scary.

On my seasonal shedding I can lost 200-250 per day - it's really scary! Normally I loose "only" something around 100 per day... Well - beauty extra thin hairs (my single hair is almost impossible to see, but I still have 9-cm ponytail :p ).

Milynn
October 12th, 2020, 08:05 AM
On my seasonal shedding I can lost 200-250 per day - it's really scary! Normally I loose "only" something around 100 per day... Well - beauty extra thin hairs (my single hair is almost impossible to see, but I still have 9-cm ponytail :p ).

Well, this proves how much it really can vary from person to person without having noticeable effect! I have around 4.75 inch ponytail but with coarse hair, so I might have less than you have.

But I bet indeed that amount is scary to see! Yet it is double to your normal, as is my seasonal shedding - perhaps that is some pattern?

But yeah, all in all, it is best to compare only to yourself and what's your "normal".

sipnsun
October 12th, 2020, 08:11 AM
I've never counted my actual shed hairs but I can tell you that it's a lot more this time of year. I've been cleaning my brush every couple of days lately but over the summer only cleaned it once a week at most. Plus I'm getting the gross little wads in the shower drain so I'm definitely shedding more than normal. As long as I don't have a bald spot or lose a ton of my thickness (I don't have much to start with) I don't stress over it.

spidermom
October 12th, 2020, 08:17 AM
I would never-ever count my shed hairs. Since I know that shedding out hairs is normal, it's easy to ignore the shedding and not worry about it. After my father's death in 2015, I shed out so much hair that my length started to look much thinner than was normal for me, and that, along with just being tired of dealing with long, tangly hair, led to me cutting from around tailbone length to collarbone length. I loved it so much I kept that length for 2 years.

I usually shed more as summer turns into autumn, but it never results in thinner-looking hair.

Bonsai
October 12th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Well, this proves how much it really can vary from person to person without having noticeable effect! I have around 4.75 inch ponytail but with coarse hair, so I might have less than you have.

But I bet indeed that amount is scary to see! Yet it is double to your normal, as is my seasonal shedding - perhaps that is some pattern?

But yeah, all in all, it is best to compare only to yourself and what's your "normal".

I think it's more from how many (thousands) hair you exactly you have ;).
The most funny is... I started check it few years ago, when I had ponytail only 5 cm!

Dark40
October 12th, 2020, 01:10 PM
I don't think I saw other posts talking about hair shedding/seasonal shedding.
I was curious to see how much hair you lose, I do lose 50/70 hairs per day which to me feels like a lot even tho is normal ;)
I wash my hair twice some times once a week and I shed a LOT of hair maybe more than 150 every wash day:eek:
This kinda affects me, I'm scared I'm gonna go bald some day :bigeyes::uhh:

I've noticed the same thing too! When I wash less frequently. If I wait 7 days or longer I shed from 50-100 hairs daily, and I think that's entirely too much hair loss. So, that's why I co-wash 5 times a week, and I shampoo once a week. I've also experimented with shampooing everyday for one week, and I did not notice hardly any shedding!

wishy
October 12th, 2020, 01:25 PM
I have counted my shed hairs several times because it's something I often stress out about. So it's nice to get a baseline of what's normal for your hair and what isn't. Over the summer, my lowest number was around 60 hairs per day. It's usually around 100 though. I can very easily shed 50 hairs just in the morning after my shower (I alternate between CWC and CO and the method does not seem to make much of a difference). This time of year, I'm shedding more. I stop counting at 120, so probably a bit more than that. It's worrisome because I already have thin hair (2 inch), but that's just how it is and how it's always been. But even with these shed counts, I've been able to increase my ponytail circumference by 1/2 inch from this time last year.

Finda
October 12th, 2020, 02:04 PM
I'm with lapushka. I've never counted my shed hair because I don't want to stress myself too much. That's why I also don't measure my ponytail circumference. About three years ago I had a phase (about two months) during which I seemed to loose more hair than usual. When I conditioned my hair I could sometimes pull out several hairs at once. That was a bit worrysome. Luckily it stopped before I noticed my hair getting thinner.

Bri-Chan
October 13th, 2020, 02:19 PM
I never counted my shed since some weeks ago. I use to shed just few hair a day, but I'm shedding a lot since late July. So, some weeks ago I counted the shed, in a day was about 120-130 hair. It seems not a lot of hair, but this is at least tree times my usual shed. I lost 0,5 cm of pony in about 3 months. I have a lot of new hair about 10 cm long, so I hope it's nothing to truly worry about, but wash day is kinda scary.

Dominga
October 14th, 2020, 01:08 AM
Summertime is scary for me, it makes me shed more than winter maybe because of the hot temperatures and maybe because I'm so stupid that I don't take good care of my hair with leave in etc.. :lol:

GordonMurphella
October 14th, 2020, 03:59 AM
Since I'm still home all but one day a week, for over 7 months now,I'm only washing one or two times per week .. down from 5 so I don't bother freaking out about the shed since it's so many days' worth. I've also found that obsessing about it is counter-intuitive. Self-perpetuating anxiety, right?

GordonMurphella
October 14th, 2020, 03:59 AM
Summertime is scary for me, it makes me shed more than winter maybe because of the hot temperatures and maybe because I'm so stupid that I don't take good care of my hair with leave in etc.. :lol:

Don't call yourself stupid, please.

WonderGirl
October 14th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Hi, it's normal to shed between 80 to 200 hairs a day. Some people just have more hair. I would start being concerned if you notice your hair is looking very thin. Summer is normal for shedding, even animals shed their alot of fur in summer. I am usually more worried about using the right hair care so I don't get split ends and dryer hair. Yeah you have nothing to worry about. I think it looks like alot more hair when you have long hair. It looks like 4 times the amount.

Finda
October 14th, 2020, 03:07 PM
I never counted my shed since some weeks ago. I use to shed just few hair a day, but I'm shedding a lot since late July. So, some weeks ago I counted the shed, in a day was about 120-130 hair. It seems not a lot of hair, but this is at least tree times my usual shed. I lost 0,5 cm of pony in about 3 months. I have a lot of new hair about 10 cm long, so I hope it's nothing to truly worry about, but wash day is kinda scary.

Oh man, that really sucks! I feel for you and hope it will revert back to your normal level!

Bri-Chan
October 16th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Oh man, that really sucks! I feel for you and hope it will revert back to your normal level!

I remember a similar shed like this in 2011, it lasted from July to early February. I suppose I can just wait.

moonsista
October 20th, 2020, 04:14 AM
I also definitely shed more on wash day - which seems like normal, as you’re rubbing your scalp? However, seasonal shedding caught up with me lately, and I’ve started taking a multi to try and mitigate the hairfall.

Bat
October 20th, 2020, 04:44 AM
I only seem to lose a few hairs when I dye my hair or do oil treatments, I'm amazed I don't lose More with how I kill my hair