PDA

View Full Version : Sudden appearance of a ton of split ends?

beha
October 11th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Hi,

I search and destroy pretty much daily, and it's hard to find many significant split ends. Last week I fell a bit out of my normal hair care routine* and didn't S&D either. When I went to S&D again, I noticed an unusually high density of visible split ends. Here's my question: does damage happen that fast or was it there all along?

*I normally shampoo and condition once or twice a week, oil several times a week. Last week I just water-only'd and oiled frequently and heavily because I got this new oil that I was a little too excited about. It's just coconut oil.

this has happened several times in my history.

Jane99
October 11th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Not all hair likes coconut oil so that could contribute. But when this has happened to me in the past, it was from S&Ding with the wrong/dull scissors

Lucy McLucyFace
October 11th, 2020, 09:15 AM
It may have been that you just had better lighting on that day and so you could see more splits. Happens to me a lot.
But I second the previous reply, it may also be due to dull scissors which may give you split ends in the place you just cut

darklyndsea
October 11th, 2020, 12:41 PM
Sometimes it happens when you hit a new length where your usual routine causes more damage, like when your hair gets long enough to hit the chair back when you sit, or when it gets long enough to sit on.

sipnsun
October 11th, 2020, 05:27 PM
When I wear my hair down for a significant amount of time I tend to get more split ends from mechanical damage. Also as Jane99 said, not everyone's hair does well with coconut oil, mine used to hate it but tolerates it in small amounts now. If you are using any other chemicals such as hairspray, gel ect., that could also be a culprit.

baanoo
October 11th, 2020, 07:08 PM
...But when this has happened to me in the past, it was from S&Ding with the wrong/dull scissors

Ooohhhh that is a very interesting observation

esmeralda80
October 11th, 2020, 07:32 PM
You may have dried out your hair a bit by not using a humectant or conditioner all week. It will be interesting to see what happens when you get back to your normal routine - hopefully no real damage was done!

lapushka
October 12th, 2020, 04:44 AM
Hi,

I search and destroy pretty much daily, and it's hard to find many significant split ends. Last week I fell a bit out of my normal hair care routine* and didn't S&D either. When I went to S&D again, I noticed an unusually high density of visible split ends. Here's my question: does damage happen that fast or was it there all along?

*I normally shampoo and condition once or twice a week, oil several times a week. Last week I just water-only'd and oiled frequently and heavily because I got this new oil that I was a little too excited about. It's just coconut oil.

this has happened several times in my history.

Don't S&D too much (and I would say weekly is too much), or you may significantly thin out / alter your hemline, especially if the splits are high up on the hair and you need to cut larger bits off.

Do you have previous damage in your hair from hot tools (like straighteners, curling irons, blow dryers on *hot*)?

Scottster
November 3rd, 2020, 02:56 PM
I agree, it may be to the wrong or dull scissors. What have you tried to repair the split ends? Currently I am hearing that Keratin treatment is now improved as a good method for split end repair and last longer than your next hair wash. I would l check it out. Good luck!

lapis_lazuli
November 3rd, 2020, 04:05 PM
Aside from your hair truly being that damaged so quickly, it could be many things such as the lighting you were in or them emerging after going undetected for a while. We can only speculate where splits come from.
In any case, as long as your hair is still growing, not breaking, and otherwise healthy, IMO splits are not something to be overly concerned about. I S&D'ed religiously near the beginning and my hair grew. I've since stopped S&D altogether and my hair still grows the same. Some hair is just more prone to splits, and that's OK. Monitor its condition but don't obsess :flower: I hope you get it sorted out.