PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a conditioner that's too thick?

October 10th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Like above. It's too thick for my hairtype, even for a deep threatment. Maybe I could dilute it with water? What do you think?

CuteCrow
October 10th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Yes, I would just dilute it with water. Or use it for some DIY hairmasks, if it's a cheap one you could use it for other things too, like shaving (hair conditioners make great shaving creams).

GoddesJourney
October 10th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Yes, I would just dilute it with water. Or use it for some DIY hairmasks, if it's a cheap one you could use it for other things too, like shaving (hair conditioners make great shaving creams).

I second this.

MusicalSpoons
October 10th, 2020, 11:23 AM
Yep, dilute it with water. Maybe a little bit at a time though, otherwise it might go off - the preservatives in the original conditioner probably won't be enough for the extra water.

Edit: I meant a small amount of conditioner at a time, as in not the whole bottle.

Dark40
October 10th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Yep, dilute it with water. I second the other posts.

Kat
October 11th, 2020, 01:45 PM
Or, you could dilute it with a thinner conditioner (especially something really light/thin like V05 and similar, if those work for your hair), or, add a small amount of it to your regular conditioner for "extra" conditioning.

Simsy
October 16th, 2020, 02:38 AM
I have a very thick conditioner that I put on sopping wet hair, then pin it up to just sit for 20 mins. That might be an option, I basically apply like a mask, coated on fairly thick and allowed to soak.

Deborah
October 16th, 2020, 11:14 AM
If you worry that it could go bad, dilute it with distilled water. That should keep it fresh for a lot longer.

Carrie's hair
November 1st, 2020, 03:26 PM
You can also use honey, aloe, panthenol, humectants in general. You just can't overdo it.

cat11
November 2nd, 2020, 08:12 AM
Sometimes I do CWC with a conditioner that's too heavy. It can end up quite nice if I put it on the length or ends, shampoo and make sure it reached the conditioned areas to get off the excess and then condition again with something lighter.

Kalamazoo
November 2nd, 2020, 04:56 PM
Sometimes, I put just the tiniest drop possible of my too-thick conditioner in the palm of my hand, and draw the tips of the teeth of my comb through that drop. That leaves most of the drop still in my hand. The bit that's on the comb is just enough to act as a detangler as I comb through my hair. If your hair needs more conditioner, then you could apply more from the drop in your hand. Otherwise, you can wipe the extra off on a hand towel, & then, when you do your laundry, the extra conditioner can be a little fabric softener in the washing machine.

Curly Hermione
November 2nd, 2020, 05:11 PM
When I've had this before I've added in a thinner conditioner, or sometimes some olive oil or almond oil, to thin it. Water as others have said would do the job I'm sure though.

hennalonghair
November 2nd, 2020, 06:58 PM
Like all the others said, dilute it with water. I do it often.

November 2nd, 2020, 08:04 PM
Sometimes, I put just the tiniest drop possible of my too-thick conditioner in the palm of my hand, and draw the tips of the teeth of my comb through that drop. That leaves most of the drop still in my hand. The bit that's on the comb is just enough to act as a detangler as I comb through my hair. If your hair needs more conditioner, then you could apply more from the drop in your hand. Otherwise, you can wipe the extra off on a hand towel, & then, when you do your laundry, the extra conditioner can be a little fabric softener in the washing machine.

Detangler, interesting... I'm afraid it'd make my hair oily, though.

A lot of interesting replies here.