PDA

View Full Version : I found this interesting video about Native American hairstyles

jane_marie
October 8th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Hi guys!

I wanted to share this video I found! I thought it was really interesting and would love to hear any thoughts you guys might have on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZI-4GExQk

Jo Ann
October 9th, 2020, 12:28 AM
Very interesting, Jane_Marie. I like the simplicity of the styles.

Amenahh
October 9th, 2020, 01:04 AM
Very interesting jane_marie, thanks for posting.

When I was at uni in the UK, there was a Native guy there, around 35, who had the best hair on campus in my opinion. I still remember him because of the hair.
1a, iii, tailbone/classic, black and shiny.
He wore in a simple low ponytail and it was beautiful.

Lucy McLucyFace
October 9th, 2020, 01:34 AM
I love this. I'm always curious how peoples of different cultures and with different resources available did personal things like hairstyles

Feral_
October 9th, 2020, 03:22 AM
So interesting, love the simplicity, thanks for sharing this.

lapushka
October 9th, 2020, 04:15 AM
With the skins to tie off styles, that is often seen in movies, isn't it?

Thank you for posting the video. Love her "log roll"!

Tinyponies
October 9th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this!

C_Bookworm
October 9th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Thank you for posting this! I found it fascinating. I’m indigenous on both sides of my family, but over time we’ve lost connection to some of the culture and tradition. It makes me want to dive deep into research on my heritage.

TatsuOni
October 9th, 2020, 10:40 AM
Thanks for sharing! It's very interesting! :)

GoddesJourney
October 9th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Thank you for posting this! I found it fascinating. I’m indigenous on both sides of my family, but over time we’ve lost connection to some of the culture and tradition. It makes me want to dive deep into research on my heritage.

I am too. I feel like unless you grew up on a reservation there is basically no connection to the culture whatsoever. The best I got was a few stories here and there and my aunts on my dad's side trying to research genealogy and pinpoint which tribes we came from on that side (which is surprisingly difficult). And one of them has been pretty well wiped out and the language, even in remnants, is mostly lost to time.

Unfortunately, the north American natives have gone mostly into poverty and the central American ones on my mom's side are also mostly in poverty. It makes it very difficult to reconnect.

It's nice to get even little tidbits of culture like this.

C_Bookworm
October 9th, 2020, 07:16 PM
I am too. I feel like unless you grew up on a reservation there is basically no connection to the culture whatsoever. The best I got was a few stories here and there and my aunts on my dad's side trying to research genealogy and pinpoint which tribes we came from on that side (which is surprisingly difficult). And one of them has been pretty well wiped out and the language, even in remnants, is mostly lost to time.

Unfortunately, the north American natives have gone mostly into poverty and the central American ones on my mom's side are also mostly in poverty. It makes it very difficult to reconnect.

Definitely. On my dad’s side, all we’ve got are a few stories. There’s more knowledge preserved on my mom’s side than my dad’s side. My great-great grandma came to live with the family once she went blind, so she was able to pass along more of the traditional ways of doing things. But it’s sad to think how much is lost that we don’t even know about.

Dark40
October 9th, 2020, 09:26 PM

Yeah, me too! I also find it fascinating too. I'm Native American on my mother's side, and on my dad's side I'm Iberian. We also over time lost connection to some of the culture and tradition as well. IT also makes me want to dive deep into research on my heritage too.

Yeah, me too! My mother has also told me stories that on her side, and on her father's side we have some Native American heritage, and I also know that we also have some Central American heritage in us as well. It's so sad when you don't know anything about your culture or heritage.

Dark40
October 9th, 2020, 09:27 PM
jane_marie, Wow, this is an interesting video! Thank you so very much for sharing!