PDA

View Full Version : Increasing ponytail circumference!

Dominga
October 7th, 2020, 03:29 AM
How many of you has noticed an increase of ponytail circumference/density of hair?
Is it possibile to do that with good hair caire?
My ponytail is 3,14 inches, not that much but I see lots of baby hairs growing (pretty thick too) and I have some short hairs at the front that are growing (I'm measuring every two months)

Glad to hear your experiences! :joy:

lapushka
October 7th, 2020, 03:48 AM
If it's always been that thickness, it's always going to be that way. :flower:

You are born with a set number of follicles on your head and no amount of good hair care is going to increase that amount, that would be physically impossible.

Now if you have a bad diet and you have lost density, then yes it is possible to regain it; otherwise, there is no increasing density, whatsoever.

Sorry to burst the bubble. ;)

Dominga
October 7th, 2020, 04:03 AM
Yup, I know about the follicles.. What we have from birth is what we have to stick with forever :D
I was just wondering If baby hairs (if they grow and not snap everytime) could effect the circumference of the ponytail making it more dense :D

Dominga
October 7th, 2020, 04:04 AM
Yup, I know about the follicles.. What we have from birth is what we have to stick with forever :D
I was just wondering If baby hairs (if they grow and not snap everytime) could effect the circumference of the ponytail making it more dense :D

lapushka
October 7th, 2020, 04:08 AM
I would not measure every couple months. I would measure yearly. Seasonally, you'll go through lots of changes and that might affect the density. I would not want you to panic over it, every time you see a variation. It fluctuates even month to month. Just if you get a good yearly constant, that's what matters.

About the baby hairs, depends on where they're located. If you are talking the wispy hairs at the nape, front hairline... those will not grow past a certain length; it's like that. Middle of the head? They should catch up.

But that is part and parcel of just having hair, you get short hairs in within the long ones constantly. It's because hair goes through a cycle of growth & regrowth. Not all of it is all one length.

To answer the question, I think that sort of figures into the measurement already. :)

GoddesJourney
October 7th, 2020, 06:13 AM
I think mine increased about a half inch or so once I stopped destroying it. The hairs themselves were just slightly thicker and more short hairs were actually growing long enough to make my ponytail. I have a lot of short pieces around my face that could probably add too it but it would require more babying than I find practical and I would have to improve my sleep so I can toss and turn less. If I could do that it would fix many other problems that are more important than hair thickness.

sipnsun
October 7th, 2020, 07:01 AM
Mine has increased 1/2" in the past year but it's because I gave up bleach and heat styling. I think my poor, fragile hair was breaking a lot more than I thought so my new routine has improved it tremendously. My pony diameter measures an all time high of 2.5" but my poor ends with all of the damage are smaller than my pinky in diameter.

sipnsun
October 7th, 2020, 07:04 AM
I should also add that I'm getting a lot more gray hairs and they are a little more course which could be another factor in it thickening up a little.

esmeralda80
October 7th, 2020, 12:49 PM
Although the number of follicles is constant, the diameter of each strand can change over time. There is at least one scientific study that shows hair diameter can increase with regular scalp massage. It is hard to say how much that alone would increase your ponytail circumference, and if it is even worth it - but that combined with better overall care of yourself and your hair should make a difference! There is hope!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4740347/

neko_kawaii
October 7th, 2020, 12:59 PM
Yes! When I joined LHC my thickness was 3 inches. About a year after I switched the frames of my glasses (old ones broke hairs regularly) and started using a sleep cap my thickness increased to 3.25. A couple years later, I had a major stress shed and went back to 3 inches.

So, if you have some factor causing breakage before hair can be measured in a ponytail, or have experienced a shed your thickness can increase. You can't however increase your thickness past your individual optimal thickness which is determined by genetics.

lapushka
October 7th, 2020, 01:10 PM
Although the number of follicles is constant, the diameter of each strand can change over time. There is at least one scientific study that shows hair diameter can increase with regular scalp massage. It is hard to say how much that alone would increase your ponytail circumference, and if it is even worth it - but that combined with better overall care of yourself and your hair should make a difference! There is hope!

I have F strands, henna made them N, but the color was just too much for me, and my hair was *already* thick enough as it was. So...

If you already have C hair, though, I wonder how that goes. :hmm:

Technically it's cheating a bit, isn't it? :lol:

esmeralda80
October 7th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Technically it's cheating a bit, isn't it? :lol:

if so, I’m fine with it lol!

akurah
October 7th, 2020, 01:17 PM

It could, but some baby hairs may have short terminal lengths. I have several baby hairs that frame my face and are all wispy but refuse to grow much longer than a few inches. It's unclear if they're permanently shortened because my alopecia areata keeps coming back then clearing up, or if it's just those hairs can have shorter terminal on anyone who has them.

Feral_
October 7th, 2020, 02:21 PM

This is an interesting one. My ponytail circumference has increased since I went WO. I do scalp massage which I didn’t before. My hair is definitely thicker, previously my ear would stick out and a hair tie would need to go 3 times around to secure a pony tail. Whereas now my ear doesn’t stick out and a hair tie will go twice around. Measurable gains!

esmeralda80
October 7th, 2020, 05:17 PM
This is an interesting one. My ponytail circumference has increased since I went WO. I do scalp massage which I didn’t before. My hair is definitely thicker, previously my ear would stick out and a hair tie would need to go 3 times around to secure a pony tail. Whereas now my ear doesn’t stick out and a hair tie will go twice around. Measurable gains!

That’s great to hear, Feral_ ! How often do you massage and for how long?

Feral_
October 8th, 2020, 05:11 AM
That’s great to hear, Feral_ ! How often do you massage and for how long?

Usually every night for 2-3 minutes with my head upside down before I brush it to put in my plait for bed :o

esmeralda80
October 8th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Usually every night for 2-3 minutes with my head upside down before I brush it to put in my plait for bed :o

Thanks - that’s just about what I’m doing too!

maborosi
October 8th, 2020, 05:50 PM
I can't remember exactly what mine was when I joined (I think 3.25"?) but at its thickest, my hair measured 4.1". (no idea what it is now. I'll have to check after I wash it)
My hair has gotten coarser as I've gotten older, it used to be all F and floaty, now it's more F/M with more and more M and even some C hairs as time goes by.

But good hair care from LHC has absolutely been the biggest contributor to letting my hair grow to its full potential.
Heck, I was even able to get my baby hairs (at the nape of my neck) to grow past waist with proper care. I 'm sure that helped some :P