PDA

View Full Version : Washing the hair, how?

lapushka
October 5th, 2020, 09:47 AM
I see sooo many videos of people washing but missing their nape area, letting suds run down even there, without scrubbing the scalp there.

I came across this video, and she's not *against* washing as often as is needed (even weekly or every two weeks). Thought this was a good one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLB2i2CpPQ

Although I cringed a bit when I saw her "smoosh" her conditioner in like that. :lol:

But it's not a bad little video!

(I was looking at the men's cut, my dad is up for his cut tomorrow.) :D

Dark40
October 5th, 2020, 08:25 PM
I think this is a great video! Thank you for sharing! :) I think it's interesting how it shows how to properly shampoo your hair.

ExpectoPatronum
October 5th, 2020, 09:12 PM
I don't agree with squeezing water out of the hair before conditioning. I use a thick conditioner and I find adding water helps me to spread it throughout my hair, but that goes to show that different things work for different people. It was an interesting video, nonetheless. I never really made the connection between washing more often = styling more often, which contributes to damage. I don't blow dry or flat iron my hair anymore, but I used to do it daily shudder: No wonder my hair was fried all those years ago!

Jo Ann
October 6th, 2020, 01:08 AM
I complained to the stylist that bleaches my roots about how I can't get my dye to fade evenly (it's always more intense at the roots and back of my head), and she told me it was because I wasn't washing my hair properly. I'm going to give the tips in this a try and see if it makes a difference.

Feral_
October 6th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Interesting. Back in the day when I used shampoo I remember the instructions on the bottle would say to repeat. I still believe the reason for that was so you would use more product, rather than the hair actually requiring two washes! I’d wager if she used double the amount of shampoo on that first wash it would lather up more and clean the hair in the same way.

I’m sure there are times when a double wash IS necessary, like if you’ve heavily oiled your hair. Also I’m obviously biased / sceptical because I wash ONCE using water! Her application of the conditioner was way too quick for me.. if I use conditioner it goes on wet, not squeezed out hair, and I squish it in - then clip my hair up and finish my shower. But we’re all different! :o

Bri-Chan
October 6th, 2020, 03:24 AM
I second Feral_ about the double shampoo. On me one wash is more than enough. I used to shampoo twice when I was younger and I could go a week without washing, but now that I wash twice a week, my hair seems extremely clean after the first application.
But to be honest, I'm curious to try it again know.
For the conditioner, I apply it on soaking wet hair because it makes easier to distribuite the product.

lapushka
October 6th, 2020, 03:30 AM
I do an "interesting" thing. I wet my hair, as you do. LOL Then I smash my shampoo on, suds up, then rinse a teeny bit, so most of the suds are still in there, but that makes them sort of diluted and easier to spread (thick hair worries, there ya go), and I suds that up again. It is not exactly a second wash, but it seems to make my hair more fluffy after the wash (near the roots). I've been doing this for as long as I've had my blog on here, I think.

Sometimes when I get overzealous with rinsing the first suds out, I scoop a bit of new shampoo in there, but that doesn't happen very much. I usually am careful with the rinse, just "boop", and that's it, barely get the shower head over it.

And the final rinse = very thorough, almost too thorough. I rinse when the suds are gone some more.

Vacurlylady
October 6th, 2020, 03:51 AM
I like this video. I just learned about ONLY shampooing my scalp a few months ago. Up until then I was conditioner only. One thing I have to do before any shampoo touches my head is I MUST slather on conditioner to my length so that IF shampoo comes down a bit on my length the conditioner protects it from tangles.

I do add more water to my scalp after the initial scrub so that it is more bubbly like you do, Lapushka. I think it is thick hair worries. Haha.

Jools69
October 6th, 2020, 04:06 AM
Very good video and I do most of it already. I tend to lift my hair up to rinse the nape area and mostly use a widetooth comb to spread the conditioner.

lapushka
October 6th, 2020, 05:13 AM
I like this video. I just learned about ONLY shampooing my scalp a few months ago. Up until then I was conditioner only. One thing I have to do before any shampoo touches my head is I MUST slather on conditioner to my length so that IF shampoo comes down a bit on my length the conditioner protects it from tangles.

I do add more water to my scalp after the initial scrub so that it is more bubbly like you do, Lapushka. I think it is thick hair worries. Haha.

Believe me, the thick hair... I sympathize. :lol: ;)

florenonite
October 6th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Interesting. Back in the day when I used shampoo I remember the instructions on the bottle would say to repeat. I still believe the reason for that was so you would use more product, rather than the hair actually requiring two washes! I’d wager if she used double the amount of shampoo on that first wash it would lather up more and clean the hair in the same way.

I’m sure there are times when a double wash IS necessary, like if you’ve heavily oiled your hair. Also I’m obviously biased / sceptical because I wash ONCE using water! Her application of the conditioner was way too quick for me.. if I use conditioner it goes on wet, not squeezed out hair, and I squish it in - then clip my hair up and finish my shower. But we’re all different! :o

I used to think that, too. Then I tried double shampooing and literally messaged one of my LHC friends saying, "Is this what clean hair really feels like???" :p

In my case, my hair is fine, dense, and low porosity. The first lather gets the surface grease off so my hair is clean-ish, but the second one really gets into all the nooks and crannies, especially the hair at the crown that it's hard to get in at when my hair is wet and greasy. No matter how much shampoo I use for the first lather, it never really lathers properly, and in my experience a fluffy lather is essential to a good, thorough clean.

Everyone is different, though, and I'm a greaseball :lol:

knobbly
October 6th, 2020, 06:34 AM
Huh. I’ve tried washing twice a few times this year, but it doesn’t seem to do anything *different than my normal wash. I have seen a difference since I began doing the following:

I put a good blob of shampoo in my squeezy bottle (like let’s say a tablespoon) and fill up the rest of the bottle with warm tap water, then shake a bit to combine. It’s slightly less than a cup of water I believe? It’s the kind of soft plastic bottle one would use for home hair color. Then I get in the tub and with dry hair apply the water/shampoo mix. I find I can get a more even application this way, because my lengths aren’t as heavy as they would be wet. With the point of the squeezy bottle I can get to all areas of my scalp. After applying the mix, everything else is mostly the same. Scrub my scalp, then turn on the shower and add more water if necessary, then rinse while scrubbing my scalp some more.

Anyway I’ve been loving this little change. Let me know if you try it, anyone!

*worth noting that I don’t use any styling products near my roots but I do sometimes oil my scalp prior to washing

Feral_
October 6th, 2020, 07:38 AM
I used to think that, too. Then I tried double shampooing and literally messaged one of my LHC friends saying, "Is this what clean hair really feels like???" :p

In my case, my hair is fine, dense, and low porosity. The first lather gets the surface grease off so my hair is clean-ish, but the second one really gets into all the nooks and crannies, especially the hair at the crown that it's hard to get in at when my hair is wet and greasy. No matter how much shampoo I use for the first lather, it never really lathers properly, and in my experience a fluffy lather is essential to a good, thorough clean.

I think if I tried shampoo now I’d probably be shocked at what rinses out! :lol: A bit like when I HAVE to shampoo one of my dogs (and that’s only if it’s rolled in something disgusting)... The rest of the fur looks and smells clean but a lot muck comes out! :bigeyes:

Huh. I’ve tried washing twice a few times this year, but it doesn’t seem to do anything *different than my normal wash. I have seen a difference since I began doing the following:

I put a good blob of shampoo in my squeezy bottle (like let’s say a tablespoon) and fill up the rest of the bottle with warm tap water, then shake a bit to combine. It’s slightly less than a cup of water I believe? It’s the kind of soft plastic bottle one would use for home hair color. Then I get in the tub and with dry hair apply the water/shampoo mix. I find I can get a more even application this way, because my lengths aren’t as heavy as they would be wet. With the point of the squeezy bottle I can get to all areas of my scalp. After applying the mix, everything else is mostly the same. Scrub my scalp, then turn on the shower and add more water if necessary, then rinse while scrubbing my scalp some more.

*worth noting that I don’t use any styling products near my roots but I do sometimes oil my scalp prior to washing

That sounds a good method to reach all areas of the scalp. Maybe those with thick hair could benefit from your tip too :)

knobbly
October 6th, 2020, 08:25 AM
That sounds a good method to reach all areas of the scalp. Maybe those with thick hair could benefit from your tip too :)

Yes I have fine hair but it’s super dense. The pointy bit of the squeezy bottle is key for me!

ynne
October 6th, 2020, 03:22 PM
I don't agree with squeezing water out of the hair before conditioning. I use a thick conditioner and I find adding water helps me to spread it throughout my hair, but that goes to show that different things work for different people. It was an interesting video, nonetheless. I never really made the connection between washing more often = styling more often, which contributes to damage. I don't blow dry or flat iron my hair anymore, but I used to do it daily shudder: No wonder my hair was fried all those years ago!
I saw this advice for squish to condish and similar – to keep on adding water, not more conditioner, until it feels like seaweed. I started doing it, and it helps coat all hair, but really cuts down on conditioner use. :)

lapushka
October 6th, 2020, 03:28 PM
I think if I tried shampoo now I’d probably be shocked at what rinses out! :lol: A bit like when I HAVE to shampoo one of my dogs (and that’s only if it’s rolled in something disgusting)... The rest of the fur looks and smells clean but a lot muck comes out! :bigeyes:

Unfortunately diluting is maybe good for thick hair, but I do it "my" way, due to the SD (seborrheic dermatitis) that I have to struggle with.

Yes I have fine hair but it’s super dense. The pointy bit of the squeezy bottle is key for me!

There's lots of people on here who dilute their shampoo. I can't do it. My SD will have at me. :lol:

MusicalSpoons
October 6th, 2020, 04:29 PM
You know, a while ago I started using more shampoo for the first scrub then much less for the second - this video makes me wonder if I should use an equal amount for each. I'll have to remember to try it next time I wash. I think I tried that because I thought I was only supposed to shampoo once, but the tiny amount lathering up so much for the second shampoo was quite reassuring, and I liked being able to let it sit on my scalp for a bit when it was the shampoo with TTO/peppermint/willow bark etc.

The bolded bits are exactly my experience too.

This is very interesting. I've been thinking recently that I wish I had the energy to use a shampoo brush because it did get my scalp cleaner, but my arms just can't do it and it tangled my hair more too. This might be an alternative to try - though the bottle we have has some sort of edge on the pointy nozzle which catches on the hair, so I might have to either try to file it down or acquire another one. Dry hair might be the key; I've seen someone say about using a herbal wash on dry hair being more effective too.

Jo Ann
October 6th, 2020, 10:34 PM
OK, tried the tips and tried washing my hair upside-down. I could not believe the difference in the way my hair felt when it was wet and I focussed on my roots and scalp :shocked: I swear, it was like scrubbing the bottom of a pan, because my hair near my scalp felt rough, not soft like my ends--and the only thing my roots get is conditioner in the shower and a leave-in afterward! My scalp felt cleaner and my roots looked better--and I got extra dye off my roots, a bonus!

Lucy McLucyFace
October 7th, 2020, 02:40 AM
Very good video, I've recently started to notice most people don't know how to shampoo their hair properly.

I also used to double shampoo because I didn't pay attention to how I was washing so double shampooing made sure I reached every bit somewhat. Now I go through sections of the scalp: first the hairline, then the top of the head, then the back and at last the nape. My hair is very resistant to water and to lather and I've found that this sectioning plus using small amounts of shampoo at a time and diluting them (thank you LHC ladies for the tip) and adding extra bits of water to the scalp where it's needed helps a lot. It's slow but more reliable than wasting a bunch of shampoo like in the video and hoping for the best

Finda
October 7th, 2020, 10:31 AM

I do the exact same thing, except I don't always use a lot of water. Just enough to produce lots of foam once I shake the bottle. It was such a gamechanger. I always had sticky hair after washes, partly because I had a hard time distributing the shampoo, especially among the underlayer. With that method, it's no trouble anymore. At first I used an empty shampoo bottle, but with the applicator bottle it's even better^^

Shorty89
October 7th, 2020, 01:38 PM
I could never shampoo twice. I have an eczema prone scalp and shampooing occasionally to clarify dries things out as it is! But, for CO, I feel that massaging it in well is really key to cleaning it with conditioner. I usually put some directly near the nape to massage in and use a handheld shower head to get it all out afterwards.