PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Shea butter

esmeralda80
October 2nd, 2020, 12:57 PM
So Shea butter is the one thing I have not tried in my hair yet. How does it compare to using oils, especially coconut oil? How do you use it and are there any brands or forms of Shea butter that you’d recommend?

thanks!

sipnsun
October 2nd, 2020, 01:17 PM
I ordered Essential Depot organic shea butter in a 2 lb tub from Amazon last time. I've also purchased 100% shea butter at Bath & Body Works but it's more expensive than Amazon. I have used it to make homemade soaps, body butters and chap sticks but tried the body butter in my hair a few times. It's melted in a double boiler and blended with other oils and butters, then whipped with a mixer so it's light and spreadable. All the ones I have made have been too greasy for daily use in my hair (but my skin loves it) so I have been using some salve from Nightblooming which I like better than anything I've put together so far.

esmeralda80
October 2nd, 2020, 01:32 PM
Thank you sipnsun -that is way too much work for me so maybe I’ll just wait until the night blooming salves are in stock!

Btw, did you recently update your profile pic? Your hair is looking gorgeous!

lapushka
October 2nd, 2020, 02:57 PM
So Shea butter is the one thing I have not tried in my hair yet. How does it compare to using oils, especially coconut oil? How do you use it and are there any brands or forms of Shea butter that you’d recommend?

thanks!

I used like even less than a pea size (just what you can scrape with your fingernail), spread it in palms of hands, and then applied to the ends. I found it much easier and convenient to use oils, and later serums.

sipnsun
October 2nd, 2020, 03:11 PM
Thank you sipnsun -that is way too much work for me so maybe I’ll just wait until the night blooming salves are in stock!

Btw, did you recently update your profile pic? Your hair is looking gorgeous!

Awe, thanks so much! I took that pic yesterday, the only changes I've made in the last month are adding Nightblooming products and herbal tea rinses. I can't believe the difference in texture and shine!

esmeralda80
October 2nd, 2020, 03:35 PM
Lapushka - thanks for the fb - ease of use is certainly important!

Sipnsun - what nightblooming products / herbal tea rinses are you using?

Amy-Lee
October 2nd, 2020, 04:12 PM
I've only used it for my skin and it works wonders. I've always wanted to see how my hair would react with Shea butter. I'll put the link for the brand I use. It comes in a bar or jar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFX2LKF/ref=twister_B07WCC8Z3G

sipnsun
October 2nd, 2020, 04:14 PM
Lapushka - thanks for the fb - ease of use is certainly important!

Sipnsun - what nightblooming products / herbal tea rinses are you using?

esmeralda80, I am using Nightblooming's Selkie detangling spray daily plus a little Ostera's or Freya's salve rubbed into the ends at night. I'm looking forward to trying Panacea's salve when it's back in stock. For my herbal rinse, I use a bunch of different dried flowers and leaves. It took me awhile to gather all of them but I mixed a huge batch in an airtight container so it's easy grab and steep once a week. It's a mixture of:
Calendula flowers
Hibiscus flowers
Horsetail herb
Chammomile flowers
Rooibos tea
Lavender buds and
Catinip leaf and blossom tea
Nettle

I sent some home with my mom and aunt today and I'm interested in hearing their results with the herbal rinse as well! One other thing I forgot to mention, we had a cheap shower head filter and we replaced it with a really nice one about a month ago. Not for my hair but because my husband has super sensitive skin. I'm sure my hair and scalp are benefiting as well though.

Obsidian
October 2nd, 2020, 08:38 PM
Shea is one of the few oils I like on my hair. I use refined, the raw has a scent I don't care for.
Just a tiny bit is needed, melt it well on your hands before applying.
It makes my hair soft and supple

Feral_
October 3rd, 2020, 07:18 AM
From people’s experiences is shea best used on damp or dry hair?

sipnsun
October 3rd, 2020, 07:26 AM
From people’s experiences is shea best used on damp or dry hair?

I've used it both ways, it's great on my dry braid tail to smooth the damaged ends but I also like to use it to seal in moisture after a shower.

Feral_
October 3rd, 2020, 08:09 AM
I've used it both ways, it's great on my dry braid tail to smooth the damaged ends but I also like to use it to seal in moisture after a shower.

Thanks! I’ve got some unrefined in a jar that I use as a hand / face moisturiser in winter, never thought to put it on my hair :thumbsup:

hennalonghair
October 3rd, 2020, 08:38 AM
Love Shea butter

lapushka
October 3rd, 2020, 04:04 PM
I have used it both wet & dry too, when dry I can't even use as "much" (little) as on wet hair. It gets "filmy" and oily fast on dry, for me.

GordonMurphella
October 4th, 2020, 04:06 AM
I can use it in things but not solo. Not my favorite stuff so I don't particularly seek it out.

Carrie's hair
October 4th, 2020, 10:12 AM
My hair loves coconut oil, but not shea butter. It was similar with palm oil. Shea butter was too heavy for me. I used them on my hands after washing dishes, patted cheeks and lips in winter.