PDA

View Full Version : Hair drying help

victor_tinyduck
September 29th, 2020, 08:02 AM
So my hair is really fine, but also pretty thick, and it's about at BCL. It's always taken a long time to dry, but recently I feel like it's getting ridiculous. When I shower it takes 12-24 hours for my hair to be completely dry (I usually shower in the morning and it's still damp enough that I can't braid it when I go to sleep). Is there anything I can do to speed up my hair drying? I do wrap it in a microfiber towel after showering for 10-15 minutes, but it doesn't help much.

Feral_
September 29th, 2020, 08:06 AM
Not cheap but how about a floor fan?

MusicalSpoons
September 29th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Fluffing it, shaking it out, wrap it in another (dry) towel for a while after the first towel?

KokoroDragon
September 29th, 2020, 08:23 AM
Not a cheap solution, but I've found sitting in a small room (for me that's the bathroom) with a dehumidifier going works pretty well.

Jo Ann
September 29th, 2020, 12:14 PM
I'm another one for sitting in front of a floor fan and running my fingers through my hair when I want it to dry quickly. Sitting outside with the breeze blowing through it also helps speed up my drying time.

luluj
September 29th, 2020, 12:27 PM
We have forced air heat vents in our home, they are on the floor in each room. It is not uncommon for me to let my hair towel dry (turbie) for 15 minutes or so, shake it loose while upside down and then dry it when the furnace or air conditioner is running. I just bend at the waist and use my fingers to detangle a bit. Sounds strange, but it works like a charm.

I often do this in hotel rooms, when we travel. They always have the wall mounted heaters and you can adjust the temperature and the fan speed.

lapushka
September 29th, 2020, 12:35 PM
So my hair is really fine, but also pretty thick, and it's about at BCL. It's always taken a long time to dry, but recently I feel like it's getting ridiculous. When I shower it takes 12-24 hours for my hair to be completely dry (I usually shower in the morning and it's still damp enough that I can't braid it when I go to sleep). Is there anything I can do to speed up my hair drying? I do wrap it in a microfiber towel after showering for 10-15 minutes, but it doesn't help much.

I sort of "devote" half of my Sunday to my weekly wash.

I wrap in a microfiber towel for 30-35 minutes, because I have time. Then I airdry for 2-4H, because I have time, and then all that needs to happen is a quick run of the diffuser through it for about 5 minutes. And then it's completely dry. If you wait at least a couple hours to airdry and then just run your blowdryer through it on cool/warm (which is *perfectly* harmless), then you should be fine and need just 5 to 10 minutes on top of that! The longer you airdry, the faster the blowdrying goes!

There is no need to fully airdry! None!

florenonite
September 29th, 2020, 12:42 PM
The only thing I've found that was worth it for me is sitting in front of a dehumidifier (a fan on low might work too) while working on my computer or reading (ie, doing something else I'd be doing in that time anyway). Combing out your hair and fluffing it with your fingers a bit as it dries might help, too, as you have straight hair.

Blow drying takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for me and every time it starts to feel dry I'll turn off the dryer and five minutes later my hair feels much damper again. Everything else I've tried might shave some time off the drying time, but takes more active time so it's not worth it for me. I mostly just give up and plait it while it's still damp :p

Lucy McLucyFace
September 29th, 2020, 01:10 PM
The thing that's been working for me is hair fanning. There's some threads about it around here.
I don't own any equipment to help me but just doing the process of holding up pieces of hair and gradually dropping it seems to reduce drying time drastically. Also walking around and switching the amount of hair that is in front and behind the shoulders so it all gets to have some contact with the air

knobbly
September 29th, 2020, 01:11 PM
+1 for chilling out and occasionally combing my hair/flipping my part in front of a fan

Bri-Chan
September 29th, 2020, 03:19 PM
I've a similar issue with my hair. It takes about 6 hours to dry, but for my lifestyle it often happen to wash it at night. So, a bit unpopular here, but I use an hairdryer with a diffuser. Low speed and low or medium heat, from a distance of about 10 inches. I do it for about 20 minutes and then I let them airdry, it takes about 3 hours in this way.

baanoo
September 29th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Fluffing it, shaking it out, wrap it in another (dry) towel for a while after the first towel?

Seconding the dry towel! Also thirding (fourthing? Who’s counting!) going the last mile with the cool diffuser, sometimes you just don’t have time to sit around all day waiting for your hair to dry, especially when it’s cold out.

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 07:18 PM
Not cheap but how about a floor fan?

That really helps! I just started using a floor fan to dry my hair. It cut the time in half.