PDA

View Full Version : Lauramidopropyl Betaine. What are your experiences?

cathair
September 26th, 2020, 10:09 AM
I was wondering if others have tried shampoos with Lauramidopropyl Betaine in them and what your experiences were like? It's the first time I've stumbled across this ingredient I think.

I've been using one of the newer Herbal Essences Bio renew with Aloe and Hemp lines. My scalp is getting very sore like I haven't washed my hair in a week a day or so after washing with it. My hair/hormones has been a bit weird lately and I thought it was that, but I am starting to wonder if it's the shampoo.

Ingredients from packaging:

Aqua, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Parfum, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Salicylate, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Glycerin, Linalool, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Coumarin, Limonene, Butylene Glycol, Histidine, Cannabis Sativa Seed Extract, Alcohol Denatured, Ecklonia Radiata Extract

Conversely, the conditioner and the leave in is great. The length of my hair is feeling a ton smoother.

lapushka
September 26th, 2020, 10:20 AM
"Betaine", at least the CB, is supposed to be a *really gentle* surfactant. Maybe it's too gentle? I mean, maybe it's that your scalp hurts from not cleansing it well enough (that happens). Maybe try re-setting, clarifying.

cathair
September 26th, 2020, 10:40 AM
"Betaine", at least the CB, is supposed to be a *really gentle* surfactant. Maybe it's too gentle? I mean, maybe it's that your scalp hurts from not cleansing it well enough (that happens). Maybe try re-setting, clarifying.

It's advertised as 'sulfate free', so I was expecting it to be pretty gentle too. I know I clarified somewhat recently, but I can't remember if it was before or after starting this shampoo now. It couldn't hurt to do it again, thanks for the suggestion.

lapushka
September 26th, 2020, 11:01 AM
It's advertised as 'sulfate free', so I was expecting it to be pretty gentle too. I know I clarified somewhat recently, but I can't remember if it was before or after starting this shampoo now. It couldn't hurt to do it again, thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome; you saying your scalp felt sore kind of resonated with me as I had that when (for medical reasons) I could not get my hair washed for 14 days in a row (and boy that is *too* long for me). I had such an achy feeling!

leayellena
September 30th, 2020, 05:16 AM
I think this link (https://cosdna.com/eng/9d84091860.html) might help...
btw. cleansing agents. I know someone who just washed his hair with water (wo-washes) in the 90's. his scalp hated any cleansing agent in shampoos so he found his method I guess ;)