PDA

View Full Version : Are there any updos that don't pull hair?

Orlas
September 25th, 2020, 02:12 PM
I would like to use a protective hairstyle like a bun, but I am kind of scared of them since childhood. Maybe they were poorly made, but I could almost feel them pulling the hair out. Is it even possible to make a bun that does not pull on the roots? Because no matter how loose it is and how many points of tension there are, it still stays up by grabbing the hair that's close to scalp. Doesn't it weaken it?
Thank you a lot in advance. :blossom: I was looking for such a thread and found similar ones, but none centered around this specific question.

akurah
September 25th, 2020, 02:41 PM
With your thickness, your hair might not be long enough for the more common buns without causing pulling.

spidermom
September 25th, 2020, 03:02 PM
I find that braided buns don't pull as long as you don't pull too tight while braiding. As for buns, it all depends. There are times when I can whip in a very quick bun that stays comfortable all day long. Other days I have to take it down and re-do it every 10 minutes more or less until I give up because I just can't get it comfortable.

No, I do not believe that putting in a bun weakens the hair at the root. Usually whatever you are using to secure the bun passes under a pretty wide section of hair at the root, so the weight is distributed over the entire area, not concentrated at one spot. There is a learning curve, however. Practice a lot. There are many how-to videos on YouTube.

lapushka
September 25th, 2020, 03:05 PM
I would like to use a protective hairstyle like a bun, but I am kind of scared of them since childhood. Maybe they were poorly made, but I could almost feel them pulling the hair out. Is it even possible to make a bun that does not pull on the roots? Because no matter how loose it is and how many points of tension there are, it still stays up by grabbing the hair that's close to scalp. Doesn't it weaken it?
Thank you a lot in advance. :blossom: I was looking for such a thread and found similar ones, but none centered around this specific question.

akurah is onto something with the thickness. I needed hip length with my iii hair to do a bun *comfortably*. At waist, myeah, but it pulled. So I think it might be that you're underestimating how much length you'll need?

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2020, 04:06 PM
If your stats are correct and your hair is 40" long you should be fine for buns. It will just take experimenting to find which ones work for you, which styles and how they're secured (stick/s, fork, spin pins, flexi-8, claw clips, amish pins, U pins, spiral stick, helix stick, etc.)

The LHC hairstyle thesaurus (sticky at the top of the forum page) or Style of the Month threads might give you some inspiration, or the relevant length thread (I'm guessing tailbone to classic?) and also the Show me your buns thread :)

Edit: many of us wear buns every day with no problems. I personally don't even feel my hair when it's up (unless I've done it really wrong!).

ynne
September 25th, 2020, 04:20 PM
You could experiment with a high or really low placement to see what pulls less for you; for some, high bun means the hair goes in an unnatural direction so the scalp starts to feel sore, on the other hand it can mean the bun sits on the head and there's less of a gravity pulling it down. :) I get your concern about the part where you grab scalp hair, though, I wasn't able to find much information about that either! I think a bun worn in the same spot, done the exact same way, would get damaging over time, no matter how loose it is.

Bonsai
September 25th, 2020, 04:21 PM
For me bun was a little not comfortable 3 months ago (earlier I had to short hair), but now I love buns! My hair is exactly 70 cm (I check it today ;) ).

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2020, 05:23 PM
I think a bun worn in the same spot, done the exact same way, would get damaging over time, no matter how loose it is.

I see this theorised reasonably often but to me it doesn't make sense - the hair grows, so over time it's not straining exactly the same part of every hair anyway? :confused: of course if it starts to feel uncomfortable then that's as good a reason as any to make an effort to change it up, but if it's still perfectly comfortable I can't see that it would do any harm.

ynne
September 25th, 2020, 06:01 PM
I see this theorised reasonably often but to me it doesn't make sense - the hair grows, so over time it's not straining exactly the same part of every hair anyway? :confused: of course if it starts to feel uncomfortable then that's as good a reason as any to make an effort to change it up, but if it's still perfectly comfortable I can't see that it would do any harm.
I think the "spot" of possible damage moves the fastest for ponytails, but I've seen so much about elastics damage that I'm unsure what to believe! It's a good point, though. I haven't reached the length for perfectly comfortable, very loose buns yet so your experience is a lot more relevant here, but I was thinking of e.g. twisted buns that kind of affect the whole length (now that I learnt some hair can be sensitive to twisting and get damaged by it)... or that it could be repeatedly straining the hair roots where the bun is held. But I'd like to be wrong. :)

MusicalSpoons
September 25th, 2020, 06:32 PM
I think the "spot" of possible damage moves the fastest for ponytails, but I've seen so much about elastics damage that I'm unsure what to believe! It's a good point, though. I haven't reached the length for perfectly comfortable, very loose buns yet so your experience is a lot more relevant here, but I was thinking of e.g. twisted buns that kind of affect the whole length (now that I learnt some hair can be sensitive to twisting and get damaged by it)... or that it could be repeatedly straining the hair roots where the bun is held. But I'd like to be wrong. :)

Oh with elastics! Yeah they do damage quickly enough, that's for sure. I was thinking buns held with things that don't damage the hair :) That's a good point about twisting too; I think for that it really does depend on how your hair does with twisting and how tightly it's twisted. As for roots, I guess it's possible if an individual's scalp is sensitive to it, or if you can feel the weight of the entire bun pulling on the same small area all the time - but you would feel that. If it's loose enough and balanced enough to be barely felt or not felt at all though, I would be very surprised if it caused any damage.

(That said, if you get to the point where you can hold up a bun without even needing to involve scalp hair because there's enough bulk to hold by putting the implement just through the bun hair, you could be absolutely assured it's not pulling on the scalp :D I don't know how much length that takes though, as I only discovered how to do it with some buns last year.)

akurah
September 25th, 2020, 07:29 PM
If your stats are correct and your hair is 40" long you should be fine for buns. It will just take experimenting to find which ones work for you, which styles and how they're secured (stick/s, fork, spin pins, flexi-8, claw clips, amish pins, U pins, spiral stick, helix stick, etc.)

The LHC hairstyle thesaurus (sticky at the top of the forum page) or Style of the Month threads might give you some inspiration, or the relevant length thread (I'm guessing tailbone to classic?) and also the Show me your buns thread :)

Edit: many of us wear buns every day with no problems. I personally don't even feel my hair when it's up (unless I've done it really wrong!).

For iii hair and almost iii hair, that's not always true, and they say their hair is iii.

knobbly
September 25th, 2020, 08:03 PM
I have some of the same experiences as others and will definitely say that experimenting a lot will help you find what works for you. For me, I find that a cinnabun held with spin pins sitting right at the top of my head is the most comfortable, and the bun I do most often. I even sleep in it. My hair is also iii and the same length as yours, so hopefully that helps. I use two long spin pins from the front and back and two short ones on either side.

C_Bookworm
September 25th, 2020, 09:23 PM
My go-to on days when my head is super sensitive is a top knot with a hair stick or fork. I think because the hair is sitting on top of my head, there’s less weight pulling on each individual strand.

florenonite
September 26th, 2020, 06:44 AM
I find that braided buns don't pull as long as you don't pull too tight while braiding. As for buns, it all depends. There are times when I can whip in a very quick bun that stays comfortable all day long. Other days I have to take it down and re-do it every 10 minutes more or less until I give up because I just can't get it comfortable.

No, I do not believe that putting in a bun weakens the hair at the root. Usually whatever you are using to secure the bun passes under a pretty wide section of hair at the root, so the weight is distributed over the entire area, not concentrated at one spot. There is a learning curve, however. Practice a lot. There are many how-to videos on YouTube.

This is interesting, because I find the exact opposite. In my case I think it's because my hair has never been long enough to properly coil the braid; at its longest, about BCL, I was still tying my braid off above BSL, so I could barely do a LWB with it.

Totally agree with you that it can vary day by day, though. I've gone through phases where I've worn nothing but braids for months because every time I tried a bun it tugged and pulled and was so uncomfortable, and this was using the same hair toys and the same buns I'd used for years. I swear every time I grow my hair out the buns it likes are different, too; 12 years ago I did a cinnabun with a single stick as my go-to bun, and I haven't even been able to get a cinnabun to hold with pins in close to a decade.

To the OP, all you can do is experiment. Personally, I find the most comfortable place for a bun is the crown of my head. Too high, and it pulls the hairs in the wrong direction and irritates my scalp; too low, and the weight of it tugs at the fine hairs at my crown. I used to use single sticks, but lately I favour forks and even pins. And like I said, the buns my hair likes change even at the same length as I've had it before (I am currently on my fourth? fifth? grow out since joining LHC :lol: ), so I think there are hair faeries that tug at my hair and force me to change my default buns. I have a pretty sensitive scalp, and my hair is both fine and thick, which are about the worst conditions for comfortable updos, but I still find a well-balanced bun the most comfortable way to wear my hair much of the time. So while I'm sure there are some people who will never find buns comfortable no matter what they try, I think in many more cases it's just a matter of developing the right technique and finding the right buns for your length/thickness.

Out of curiosity, what's your circumference? If it's around 4" then you should be able to do something like a modified lazy wrap bun (I wrap my hair over all four fingers and then around the base of the bun, rather than around my thumb); my circumference is just over 4" and I can do buns from about 26". If it's much thicker, you could try something like a disc bun or another sectioned bun.

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2020, 06:57 AM
For iii hair and almost iii hair, that's not always true, and they say their hair is iii.

True, I tend to think of members who have 4" and 5" circumference who have been able to comfortably bun for a while, but that does depend on how compressible the hair is - plus iii covers larger ponytail circumferences than that anyway.

Feral_
September 26th, 2020, 07:46 AM
For an easy to wear updo try the Frida Kahlo braid using a long thin scarf. I think Tatsu has done a vid tutorial.

I did that today to go into town as was windy out and it was super comfortable! :o

luluj
September 26th, 2020, 07:51 AM
I like a loose french braid, kind of a boho look, with a few strands left loose at the temples. Once I reach the bottom of the braid, I tuck it under and secure with a small flexi. Not really an updo, perhaps, but it looks the part and is so comfy.

This is what it looks like. Looking at the photo, I see I used a medium flexi, not a small.

https://i.imgur.com/o4DOcHM.jpg (https://lunapic.com)

jane_marie
September 26th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Hello!

I have fairly thick hair and I also struggle with finding comfy buns... though my hair is much much short than yours. :)

I am going to agree with some previous users that a high placed cinnamon bun secured with spin pins, Frida braids, and loose french braids are an awesome idea.

I hope you find something that works for you!

lapushka
September 26th, 2020, 09:13 AM
I don't know if it helps any, but I started out with a LWB (lazy wrap bun), and only after about a year, I transitioned into a Nautilus bun. Maybe those would be good starters! The LWB can be done fairly soon.

Bonsai
September 26th, 2020, 10:21 AM
I don't know if it helps any, but I started out with a LWB (lazy wrap bun), and only after about a year, I transitioned into a Nautilus bun. Maybe those would be good starters! The LWB can be done fairly soon.

It's funny, because I use Nautilus bun all the time (even in night), but I still can't make lazy wrap bun - I try many times and my hair escaped in 15 minutes every time.

Deborah
September 26th, 2020, 11:12 AM
I think spin pins are the most comfortable way to hold up a bun. They don't seem to leave any area that feels pulled.

lapushka
September 26th, 2020, 12:53 PM
It's funny, because I use Nautilus bun all the time (even in night), but I still can't make lazy wrap bun - I try many times and my hair escaped in 15 minutes every time.

How are you doing the LWB, though. Not many do it the right way. ;)

spidermom
September 26th, 2020, 01:01 PM
For me, the Gibralter bun is almost always comfortable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXfp_wANOkw

Of course, there are exceptions. Some days, I can't get anything to feel comfortable, not even leaving all my hair down.

Feral_
September 26th, 2020, 02:09 PM
How are you doing the LWB, though. Not many do it the right way. ;)

Lapushka do you have a link for how to do it the right way? The reason I ask is I can’t do one! Thanks :o

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2020, 02:16 PM
^ if it helps, lots of videos show using the thumb for a LWB but I can't get those right. I only use my fingers.

Feral_
September 26th, 2020, 02:22 PM
^ if it helps, lots of videos show using the thumb for a LWB but I can't get those right. I only use my fingers.

Thanks Spoons, I do a version of a nautilus wrapping around 2 fingers so that would probably be easier for me to master. I’m not good at buns in general, about one in ten is a decent one :shrug:

lapushka
September 26th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Lapushka do you have a link for how to do it the right way? The reason I ask is I can’t do one! Thanks :o

Hang on! I'll have a look see for a good video! Here's one, and she's got other tutorials linked, so that's great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwu9b8fOmI

MusicalSpoons
September 26th, 2020, 05:10 PM
Thanks Spoons, I do a version of a nautilus wrapping around 2 fingers so that would probably be easier for me to master. I’m not good at buns in general, about one in ten is a decent one :shrug:

So it seems almost every single tutorial uses the thumb and many of them recommend twisting too (which surprises me, for a bun called both Lazy and Wrap) - maybe I am doing them wrong! :couch: But these two are the closest to what I do, though mine are with 3 fingers and a fork. When I've finished wrapping I spread my fingers apart to start gently loosening the loop; I find having my thumb and little finger free helps control the loosening so it doesn't go too quickly, end up too loose, then fall apart.

https://youtu.be/iG9PPb8gCsI
https://youtu.be/7Uw3dI9HGUA

(If I'm using a thinner fork, a stick, or a flex, I have to double-wrap, but that's because I don't have enough thickness to hold all the rest of the length in the middle.)

Orlas
September 27th, 2020, 03:05 AM
So happy to see all the answers, thank you!

Feral_
September 27th, 2020, 05:00 AM
Hang on! I'll have a look see for a good video! Here's one, and she's got other tutorials linked, so that's great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwu9b8fOmI

Thank you! I will have a practice.

So it seems almost every single tutorial uses the thumb and many of them recommend twisting too (which surprises me, for a bun called both Lazy and Wrap) - maybe I am doing them wrong! :couch: But these two are the closest to what I do, though mine are with 3 fingers and a fork. When I've finished wrapping I spread my fingers apart to start gently loosening the loop; I find having my thumb and little finger free helps control the loosening so it doesn't go too quickly, end up too loose, then fall apart.

(If I'm using a thinner fork, a stick, or a flex, I have to double-wrap, but that's because I don't have enough thickness to hold all the rest of the length in the middle.)

Thanks! The stick along the back of the hand is new to me, will try that.

florenonite
September 27th, 2020, 06:27 AM

I do mine like the top video, but like you I spread it with my fingers before putting the fork in; if I don't it ends up far too tight.

I have short, stubby fingers (hobbit hands!) and thick hair, so I can't do buns wrapping around only a few fingers with dry hair. I can juuuuust about manage a LWB around my thumb on soaking wet hair in the shower, but that's about it. Otherwise I have to wrap my hair around my entire palm just so it doesn't slide off the ends of my fingers.

shelomit
September 27th, 2020, 12:40 PM
In my tender-scalped experience, it was not so much a matter of the type of hairstyle or the method of securing it, as where the hairstyle is placed on the head. For the longest time I would have to deal with an extremely sore scalp if I wore a bun that was slightly off-center, or higher than an inch or two from my nape. So perhaps try a style you are already familiar with making, and experiment instead with where on the head you place it?

jane_marie
September 27th, 2020, 12:45 PM

Wait, what? Are you not supposed to twist an LWB? I might have a chance of doing one if I didn't twist it. I had no idea buns would even hold without the twist.

Maybe that's my roadblock.

knobbly
September 27th, 2020, 01:04 PM
Have you tried a disc bun jane_marie? My hair is def not as thick as yours but I can do a disc bun that holds great but my LWBs are a crapshoot most of the time.

SleepyTangles
September 27th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Lately I have been using a wide hairband to "encase" my braids: it's supremely comfortable, I plan of making it my go-to style for the Winter.

Sorry for the flyaways and lack of make-up, hopefully It shows what I mean:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42657&d=1601234167

I know it looks like a turban but it's not, it's just a wide twist headband!

jane_marie
September 27th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Have you tried a disc bun jane_marie? My hair is def not as thick as yours but I can do a disc bun that holds great but my LWBs are a crapshoot most of the time.

Sadly the disc bun hasn't worked so far. With a bit of practice I think a vortex bun might be the next one I can do successfully! I will be trying an LWB without twisting tomorrow thought just to see. :)

Lately I have been using a wide hairband to "encase" my braids: it's supremely comfortable, I plan of making it my go-to style for the Winter.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42657&d=1601234167

That's such a great idea! Thank you for this!

MusicalSpoons
September 27th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Wait, what? Are you not supposed to twist an LWB? I might have a chance of doing one if I didn't twist it. I had no idea buns would even hold without the twist.

Maybe that's my roadblock.

Well according to a lot of tutorials you are, apparently ;) but somewhere along the lines of trying to make it work for me, I must have dispensed with it :shrug:

AmaryllisRed
September 27th, 2020, 03:08 PM

[IMGhttps://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42657&d=1601234167[/IMG]

I LOVE this!

Kat
September 27th, 2020, 04:22 PM
For me, I find buns become uncomfortable largely because they shift*. So, a bun or other style will be fine when I first put it in, but then eventually it will start to sag (or, for a cinnabun, untwist a bit), just enough that it puts pressure on my hairpins or hairstick(s) and they start to dig into my scalp (at times it will pull the hair as well because the hair is pinned in place but the whole structure is trying to slide down, but that's not the main problem for me-- other people might find it creates a pulling situation, though). If I'm not lazy and am in a situation where I'm able, I might re-do it and then it's fine again for a while. Otherwise, no matter the "up" style-- even Heidi braids-- after several hours it needs to come down because my scalp is just sick of having pins digging in.

*Or sometimes, if I have to spend a lot of time looking down-- because I'm reading, writing something, etc. My neck gets annoyed with that anyway, but it happens faster if I have the weight of a bunch of hair piled on my head.

Amenahh
September 28th, 2020, 03:59 AM

Thanks for this. Just tried the LWB for the first time with the first tutorial, and it worked perfectly, and it's so comfortable. I'm pretty sure this is going to become a staple 'at home' hairstyle.

Amenahh
September 28th, 2020, 04:05 AM
My standard comfortable hairstyle is a twisted bun on top of my head, secured with standard claw clips. Either with one large one when I'm at home (it doesn't look that pretty, but it's really comfy), or with two smaller ones that fit arond the loops of my bun on either side of my bun.

I haven't seen anyone on LHC using claw clips. I wonder why. Is it just cause they don't look as nice (which is true!), or is there a hair-health reason? I don't find them damaging.

sapphire-o
September 28th, 2020, 04:29 AM
For me it's important to comb or brush the hair out before putting it up. If your hair is not detangled some strands would pull while you're twisting it. Many buns and twists can be done without the hairsticks touching the scalp at all. For example, inside out bun, Gibraltar bun, infinity bun. My favorite is infinity bun. It acts like a hair slide and the stick or fork doesn't have to touch scalp at all.

ZoeZ
September 28th, 2020, 04:34 AM
My standard comfortable hairstyle is a twisted bun on top of my head, secured with standard claw clips. Either with one large one when I'm at home (it doesn't look that pretty, but it's really comfy), or with two smaller ones that fit arond the loops of my bun on either side of my bun.

I haven't seen anyone on LHC using claw clips. I wonder why. Is it just cause they don't look as nice (which is true!), or is there a hair-health reason? I don't find them damaging.

I use claws all the time - my hair isn't quite long enough to look good with a stick, and I find they really protect my ends. There are pretty ones, it's just that they aren't as unusual as sticks in my neck of the woods. If not for claws, I don't think I could grow long either - barrettes pull awfully, as do most scrunchies. I would think quite a few LHC'ers wear them.

jane_marie
September 28th, 2020, 06:06 AM

Hi! I use mini claw clips at the sides of my cinnamon buns all the time. So, you're not alone.

I also use them to secure braids if I can't be bothered to find something. :shrug:

jane_marie
September 28th, 2020, 08:08 AM
Well according to a lot of tutorials you are, apparently ;) but somewhere along the lines of trying to make it work for me, I must have dispensed with it :shrug:

Oh my goodness! I tried doing an LWB this morning without twisting (and using just one finger instead of four and I think I might have figured out how to make something kind of similar.

Thank you so so so much for this. :happydance:

AmaryllisRed
September 28th, 2020, 08:44 AM

I occasionally wear a cinnabun with claw clips on the sides, and I know Zesty does, too, 'cause she gave me the idea!
I don't like the way it looks as well as a pretty flexi or stick or fork, but it's very comfortable.

knobbly
September 28th, 2020, 09:15 AM
I do use claw clips but only at home because I don’t think they are cute in the least. I prefer the ones that are lined with silicone so they stay put.

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Oh my goodness! I tried doing an LWB this morning without twisting (and using just one finger instead of four and I think I might have figured out how to make something kind of similar.

Woohoo! :cheer: that's great to hear!
Very glad to have helped :D

ynne
September 28th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Claw clips are really common here! :) For cinnabuns (or other twisted buns) I see them used pretty often, alongside spin pins. (This member even has a tutorial with them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=436o91HbWxY).) As long as they don't have sharp edges anywhere, you should be fine!

Congratulations on your first successful LWB! :)

Alexandrina
September 28th, 2020, 03:07 PM

I occasionally use them too! I just think they are not as pretty as some of my other hair things, so I try to not rely on them too much.

Amenahh
September 29th, 2020, 12:58 AM
Haha, nice to know that so many of you also use claw clips! I just hadn't seen them mentioned anywhere.
I agree they're not as pretty as other hair toys!

Milynn
September 29th, 2020, 10:30 AM
I also have problem with the buns, as my scalp doesn't seem to tolerate weight of my hair. There was somewhere a mention that there are buns which do not actually require involving scalp hair (I think it was this thread, but I could be wrong) - could someone give an example? :) my hair is hip lenght with iii thickness, so I just might be able to do some.

AmaryllisRed
September 29th, 2020, 01:31 PM
I also have problem with the buns, as my scalp doesn't seem to tolerate weight of my hair. There was somewhere a mention that there are buns which do not actually require involving scalp hair (I think it was this thread, but I could be wrong) - could someone give an example? :) my hair is hip lenght with iii thickness, so I just might be able to do some.

Yes I was curious about this, too. I always pick up some scalp hair but I would love to know how not to need to do that.

MusicalSpoons
September 29th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Yes I was curious about this, too. I always pick up some scalp hair but I would love to know how not to need to do that.

For me it's because I have enough length wrapped around the base (mainly of centreheld buns) that putting the fork through that mass holds just as well as picking up scalp hair.

baanoo
September 29th, 2020, 04:07 PM

I also have ii thickness hip length hair, and I find that buns like the Jamie Leigh (cinnabunned French braid, I think that’s the same thing?) are really easy to put up with a fork and not catch any scalp hair. Since you have the braid to work with, you can weave your fork through pretty easily. I wear my hair up like this all the time and it’s super comfortable (and I have the type of scalp that protests angrily if there’s too much pressure on it anywhere!).