PDA

View Full Version : The "Does this style have a name?" thread

jane_marie
September 16th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Hello! I've been putting together an index of different styles I can do but I'm running into trouble knowing what to label them.

Although not everyone is composing a style index for themselves I thought it might be useful if we had a thread where people can show a hairstyle that they would like to do or did and others can help them find the LHC name for the style (if one exists). That way those that are learning can find tutorials and improve.

Please feel free to add any new styles you see or figure out to the thread. ❤

Here is a link to the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554). If you don't know what a style is checking through the that link can be incredibly helpful!

jane_marie
September 16th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Here is a style I have been playing with on and off recently.

https://i.imgur.com/lb1Gm32.png

It's sort of like Frida Kahlo braids but reversed.

How to: Brush hair well and separate it into two pigtails (one just behind each ear) using claw clips. Place the scarf so the center of the length is at the center top of the head and the tails are hanging to either side. Bring the end of each side under the section and to the opposite side so that the the left scarf tail is on the right side and the right on is on the left. Remove the claw clips and sub divide the each pigtail into two sections. Use the scarf end placed on that side as the center strand of that side's braid. Tie off each pigtail. When both pigtails are done crosse them over one another at the back of the head. Tie the scarf at the front of the head. Ends can be tucked, made into a bow or covered with decoration. Hair ends and pokies can easily be zhuzhed up under the scarf.

Feral_
September 16th, 2020, 10:49 AM
That’s really useful jane_marie. Your reversed frida looks lovely. I can actually do a frida! Though I looked at the braids part 1 link and wanted to cry.. so many I know I will never achieve. Like 99% of them!

jane_marie
September 16th, 2020, 11:09 AM
That’s really useful jane_marie. Your reversed frida looks lovely. I can actually do a frida! Though I looked at the braids part 1 link and wanted to cry.. so many I know I will never achieve. Like 99% of them!

Hopefully it can be a useful thread. :)

Thanks for the compliment. I bet you could do these too they are super fast and easy... even if I did do a crap job explaining them.

The braids index is super intimidating! Thinking about how long it will take before I can do a simple rope braid gets me every time (so many layers to grow out).

HaMalka
September 16th, 2020, 01:13 PM
Your reversed Frida braids look really cool, jane_marie! I wish I could do them.

jane_marie
September 16th, 2020, 02:03 PM
Your reversed Frida braids look really cool, jane_marie! I wish I could do them.

Thanks! I bet you could do them but just wrap all that lovely length around like a coronate braid and if there is any still left over you could do little loops hanging down or something.

Your hair is so freaking lovely! I hope someday I can get mine grown out like yours. :crush:

eresh
September 16th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Wow that's a really beautiful hairstyle jane_marie!
I'm going to try it when I'm in a good mood
LOL I have moodpoisoning today

Jane99
September 16th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Moodpoisoning... I like the descriptor.
And yes Jane Marie, this is a great idea and your braid looks amazing.

0xalis
September 16th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Oh man, I have a style that belongs in this thread! I just call it the "twist and clip" because that's how you do it.
You gather your hair into a ponytail, twist it upward, and clip the "ponytail" part vertically on your head.

I have several examples, including a half-up version. I love this style for a quick and easy updo especially around shoulder length. My wife and I both had hair shorter than SL in these 3 examples though:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/755924106863575090/FotoJet.jpg?width=1115&height=577

I wanted more example photos, particularly on somewhat longer hair so I asked my wife to let me use her as a hair model.
Her hair is collarbone length with some layers from growing out a buzz cut with only one big trim, much like mine before I had all my layers cut off.
Her hair is also very thick and very slippery, this style turns out neater looking on thinner SL hair with less or no layers. I think it's cute regardless.
(Sorry for the horrid image quality, my phone doesn't like fidgety subjects lol.)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/755929530367213718/FotoJet2.jpg?width=744&height=577

jane_marie
September 16th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Oh man, I have a style that belongs in this thread! I just call it the "twist and clip" because that's how you do it.
You gather your hair into a ponytail, twist it upward, and clip the "ponytail" part vertically on your head.

I have several examples, including a half-up version. I love this style for a quick and easy updo especially around shoulder length. My wife and I both had hair shorter than SL in these 3 examples though:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/755924106863575090/FotoJet.jpg?width=1115&height=577

I wanted more example photos, particularly on somewhat longer hair so I asked my wife to let me use her as a hair model.
Her hair is collarbone length with some layers from growing out a buzz cut with only one big trim, much like mine before I had all my layers cut off.
Her hair is also very thick and very slippery, this style turns out neater looking on thinner SL hair with less or no layers. I think it's cute regardless.
(Sorry for the horrid image quality, my phone doesn't like fidgety subjects lol.)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/755929530367213718/FotoJet2.jpg?width=744&height=577

Hey Oxalis! I think that's called a peacock twist! :)

HaMalka
September 16th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Thanks! I bet you could do them but just wrap all that lovely length around like a coronate braid and if there is any still left over you could do little loops hanging down or something.

Your hair is so freaking lovely! I hope someday I can get mine grown out like yours. :crush:

Thank you very much! :D I hope your growing goes well and you like how your hair ends up.

Your idea might work for a very colorful and fancy hairstyle. I'd end up with several scarves as I don't have any long enough, and my head would be absolutely covered in braids so not ideal for a practical style but fun. Thank you for the idea.

ETA:Oxalis I agree with jane_marie on it being a peacock twist.

0xalis
September 16th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Hey Oxalis! I think that's called a peacock twist! :)

ETA:Oxalis I agree with jane_marie on it being a peacock twist.

You know, I thought that might be it too, but when I look it up it just looks so different from mine! Maybe mine is just a modified version? It does seem to be made in quite a similar fashion!
Edit: I did a little more research, that's gotta be it. There's just several ways to do them that all have slightly different looking results. Thank you both!! :o

jane_marie
September 17th, 2020, 07:36 AM
You know, I thought that might be it too, but when I look it up it just looks so different from mine! Maybe mine is just a modified version? It does seem to be made in quite a similar fashion!
Edit: I did a little more research, that's gotta be it. There's just several ways to do them that all have slightly different looking results. Thank you both!! :o

Happy to help! :bunny:

lapushka
September 17th, 2020, 09:31 AM

That's actually called a peacock twist. ;)

ETA/ Nevermind, I think jane_marie already answered that one - sorry guys didn't see all the messages when I posted.

MusicalSpoons
September 17th, 2020, 11:23 AM
Ooh brilliant idea for a thread jane_marie! Those inverted Frida braids (should we call them jane_marie braids?) look great!

[eresh 'mood poisoning' is an excellent term, although I hope you feel better soon.]

jane_marie
September 17th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Ooh brilliant idea for a thread jane_marie! Those inverted Frida braids (should we call them jane_marie braids?) look great!

[eresh 'mood poisoning' is an excellent term, although I hope you feel better soon.]

Oh no! Please don't name them after me!

In my mind I tend to call them something like tudor braids or peasant braids because the way the scarf lays reminds me the strip of fabric you can see under women's head dresses in old paintings but I'm no fashion historian so... :shrug:

Inverted Frida braids would work just as well.

Glad you like the idea for a thread. :)

eresh
September 17th, 2020, 12:27 PM

Inverted Frida braids sounds cool!

Haha thanks, yes my mood was better today but my head not (migraine)
Yesterday literally everything went wrong.

elise.autumn
September 17th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Great thread. Jane I lovelove your braids.

Here's one I did a few months ago, posted in another thread, and nobody knew if it had a previous name before. I did a tutorial and had to call it something, so I called it "Petals Bun". Please enlighten me if this is already a thing!

https://youtu.be/VKSSOAdiDBY

MusicalSpoons
September 17th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Here's one I did a few months ago, posted in another thread, and nobody knew if it had a previous name before. I did a tutorial and had to call it something, so I called it "Petals Bun". Please enlighten me if this is already a thing!

Oh cool! I shall certainly be giving that a try at some point, I love the idea of a bun constructed and held very differently from my usual styles.

elise.autumn
September 17th, 2020, 06:28 PM
MusicalSpoons do let me know if it works for you! I'm not sure if anyone else has done this style yet.

I don't know what length/thickness/texture combination it needs to stay. But the one day I did it most sturdily, I think with two Quattro basics, it lasted the entire day.

oldrocker
September 17th, 2020, 11:07 PM

Hi Ms Elise...

While I am nowhere near being able to recreate your style...I just thought it was so cool to hear your voice on this video. Regardless of the video you were doing....hearing your voice made you so much more than a mere poster here....it made you real..I hope that is ok to have this 'revelation'..since i have only heard 2 'old' LHCers voices...and they were in 'real life'

O.R.