PDA

View Full Version : S&D: is it worth it?

soleluna
March 23rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Is the S&D trimming worth it or does it just make hair loose bulk and shape in the end? Is a once every 6/8 months trim (leaving hair be in the meanwhile) better?
Do ends look think after prolonged S&D?

Your opinions here. Thanks

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM
S&D is worth it.. it takes out the split ends that get missed with my quarterly microtrims. I am not going nuts over it though, once a week a short time is more than enough here.

Xandergrammy
March 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
My goal is to have completely natural ends, untouched by scissors, so I don't do S&D or trims.
I think you'll find many different opinions on this topic and the opinions are usually a result of trial and error. I decided to stop S&D missions because I tended to get obsessed (surprise!) and carried away with it. :gabigrin:

peachy.pudding
March 23rd, 2008, 07:10 AM
I personally found that S&D did more harm than good, simply because you can over do it and then your hair starts growing unevenly and it almost seems like you make the hair more fragile each time you set a blade to it.

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Wow, I would never make it without S & D's. My hair has reached the length at which, for me, I get far more splits up and down my length than at my ends. Micro trims would remove hardly any splits for me.

I S & D about once every 3-4 weeks, or whenever I notice that I've got loads of splits.

I don't find that I loose actual bulk, though it does sometimes seem like I do. But that's simply because I'm cutting out all the splits which do seem to make hair look fuller to a certain degree.

Anje
March 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
S&Ds are worth it for me. Most of my splits are not on the ends of my hair but dispersed through it, so trims don't fix it.

Carolyn
March 23rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yes! For me they are so worth the effort. I don't think I loose bulk. I'm only nipping off the last 1/4-1/2" on random hairs. I don't see how that would reduce bulk. It's removing damaged ends that are not always on hairs that reach the hemline. I also find I need small trims of the hemline to keep that nice and neat. If you don't have many split ends, it's probably not worth your time in sitting there searching for them, but if you have a lot then yes it probably is worth it.

ktani
March 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
S&D's are definitely worth it IMO.

While I no longer have split ends - I do get some breakage - white dots - they make my hair more prone to tangling by catching other hair.

When I remove those ends, my hair does not tangle.

I do not need to s&d as often as I used to and no, it does not alter my hemline because I am not trimming that many - there are less to trim and I just take off the tips of the breakage - just above the dot.

When I had more breakage - whether I s&d'd or not - my ends tapered - breakage can do that when it is left unchecked.

The key for me was figuring out what caused the breakage in the first place - for me - coatings - and emiminating the cause.

My hair went from tapered ends between trims to even thickness to the ends.

S&d'ing helps keep my hair from getting more breakage through mechanical damage.

ilovelonghair
March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
I used to think: "s&d? nonsense!" then I joined this board and started doing it. I couldn't believe how much difference it makes. No you don't loose bulk, because you only cut of the split ends, usually that's only a few milimeter (what is that in inches?) and that grows back in 2 weeks anyway. I s&d every week, and when I just see a split end and scissors are nearby :p

trolleypup
March 23rd, 2008, 08:00 AM
For me, not keeping up with the S&D means tangles, and tangles beget damage, so S&D is critical for me, as a side benefit, detangling and preening is so much more pleasant.

Also, I'm at terminal, so my splits are all through my length.

Ursula
March 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Trimming, at the ends, is not a substitute for S&D. (More precisely, it is not the equivalent of S&D. Each does different things for your hair.) Splits can happen throughout the length of your hair, at any point where a hair ends, (which is everywhere, due to the whole shed/regrowth cycle.) A trim would only get splits on the very longest hairs.

Trims are to even up your hemline or reduce length. S&D is for managing splits, fairy knots and other damage throughout the length of your hair.

Teacherbear
March 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
S&Ds are VERY worth it for me. Like Trolleypup said, my hair gets a tangle or a split and the other hairs attach to it like velcro creating more splits and tangles. It is a vicious cycle.

I use to get my hair trimmed/cut 3-6 inces per year. My hair seemed to get to a length, become unmanageable, then I'd cut. After joining the hair boards I started snipping off just the splits and fairy knots (one tiny knot on one strand of hair). After doing that several times I noticed a DYNAMIC improvement in my hairs manageability. :cheese:

As far as the appearance of the ends, I don't think it changes it at all. Not many hairs are snipped and virtually no length is removed (ok, 1-2mm per snip - unless the split is further up the length).

For me, a trim off the hemline, even a dusting (where so little hair is cut it looks like dust on the floor) was a short term fix. It didn't do anything for the damage further up the hair.

I hope that helps!

FrannyG
March 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
S & D is essential for me. My hair is so fine, and splits and fairy knots cause terrible tangles for me. The tangles could potentially cause me to lose more bulk that S&Ding ever would. As others have said, my splits are not at the ends, so my regular trims wouldn't touch them.

ktani
March 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
A very good point has been raised - my breakage is not usually at the ends or hemline either - but throughout my hair.

It is best from my experience, to trim the breakage just slightly above where the break or white dot is to get rid of all of the damage.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
No. Absolutely not. My ends got thinner and more prone to tangles, which caused more splits, and it was never-ending. Plus it made me hate my hair. I am going to do my best to judge my hair by how it looks in the mirror and how it feels from now on. I am going to resist that impulse to pull my ends up and look at them. And I'm going to have regular trims to keep my ends in shape. That will have to be enough.

EbonyCurls
March 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
It's worth it for me. I only cut the ones that split at the ends which, as someone mentioned, is only like a 2mm snip so it doesn't decrease bulk for me.
I find it makes my ends smoother, softere, shinier (less fuzzy looking ends) and ALOT less static-y.
If you have good scissors I don't think that it should leave the end more susceptible to splits because I used to do it every two weeks and each time I would fin less and less.
I stopped doing it for a month and just the other day went to do it again and still, I could hardly find any at all.
It also helps me prolong those dreaded trims and the less trims I get the less likely I am to come face to face with a choppy hairdresser (I go to a different one each time). Here I was going to get one after 6 months and it's been a year and I still don't see the need to get the trim.

Meli
March 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, I think it's worth it. My hair is split-prone and I know what it will look like if I don't S&D... And trimmings don't help because, as others have mentioned as well, I get splits through the entire length and not only at the ends. I did lose some bulk through the last inches after excessive S&D-ing, but then you must keep in mind that literally all my hairs were split before I found LHC. Many of them had deep splits several inches from the ends. Now that I have learned what my hair likes, I don't get as many new splits as I did a couple of months ago. It is not likely that I will lose much bulk in the future, because the new splits are only that tiny, couple of millimeters kind of splits.

getoffmyskittle
March 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
S&D is only worth it if you know you will be careful to *only cut the split end* and not take out 2 or 3 other healthy hairs while you're at it. If you're not careful, it will lead to thinning and losing shape. If you are careful, it's a very valuable thing to do.

Delila
March 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
It works well for me to minimize tangling.

Good shears are essential, as is good light, and a bit of patience.

I don't S&D on a schedule, but I do sometimes grab a strand with a split (so I don't lose it) and go get the shears to trim it away. Once I make the effort to do that, I usually find a few more that need to be cut, but not always, which I guess is a sign that it's a useful thing to do.

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have never tried a S&D.I get my trims three times a year and that's it.I would go crazy chasing round my hair for splits.:p:rolleyes:

prosperina
March 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
I've often thought about giving it up, because I have the tendency to get obsessed and upset with the yucko ends and wanting to cut them too then I end up cutting more of my hair. Lately, I've been able to get over that and only go for the split hairs, and I can tell a difference in the bottoms of my hair--they're a lot less tangly. Once I get a lot of the damage cut out of my hair, I'll reassess if I want to do S/D since I don't see a lot of splits farther up in my hair.

Lisa-Maria
March 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM
I guess it depends on your hairtype, for me it's a must since I get far more knots in my hair without regular S&D and knots mean damage to my undamaged hair

soleluna
March 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback! what o you mean by good scissors? where do I get them?

serenitygal
March 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I know S&Ds work well for a lot of people. For me, they are a waste of time simply because I have very few or no split ends. I do have layers (which I like), so I go in about every 3-4 months for a trim/reshape from my stylist. My ends will get a bit velcro-y by the end of the 3-4 month time frame, but since it's almost all of them that are damaged and it is only the ends (less than an inch), I just get them trimmed off.
I tried S&Ding briefly, but found that a) I just don't have splits and b) it really strained my eyes.
HTH!

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yep. since the ends are trimmed, they have no splits, but up the length is where a bulk of them sit, especially where i once bleached. So i do a session about monthly. As i see fit. After i first started henna i noticed a reduction in splits!!! Now they are sort of there again. Ah well!

soleluna
March 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
So, any scissors suggestions?

Katze
March 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I still do it, though I am not sure about it. if I spend the time doing an S and D, it's hard to get all my hair (short layers in the back, tangly coarser nape hairs) and i can do another the next day and still find splits.

Though I'm trimming, my trims are focused on thickening up my hemline and thus don't get the (much shorter and finer) layers in the back where the majority of splits and tangles are. I'm trying to keep my hair as natural (less trims) as possible but the thin ends look bad, so I am forced to both trim and S and D.

whether S and D really helps in the long run, or whether those hairs are just doomed to split, isn't something I've been able to figure out...

Anlbe
March 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I think it depends on the type of hair you have. Mine is very brittle and splits spectacularly, not just at the ends but sometimes up the length. If I don't S&D my hair won't go to BSL let alone beyond. Also as my hairs arn't all the same type (some fine, some medium, some fine wires) the uneveness and lack of defined shape cause by S&D doesn't really make any difference to me, so for me S&D all the way.

HeavenlyTresses
March 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I bought my scissors at Wal-Mart and they are only used for cutting hair. If you use them on anything else it will dull the blade. They were only aroud $7 and work really well and are pretty sharp. I am a merciless S&Der and I will sacrifice length to get rid of damage. I hate that dry frizzy look and I don't have nearly as many tangles when the splits are gone. I trim my ends every 4-6 months. I don't get too obsesive probably because I get bored easily.

trolleypup
March 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I have some excessively nice shears from Bonika, but I think pretty much any dedicated haircutting quality scissors should be fine.

Lixie
March 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
S&Ding really improves the overall health of my hair, I'd say it's difinitely worth it. I use hairdressing scissors I bought from a chemist for about £10.

DarkChocolate
March 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
My hair is in much better condition since I started doing S&D. I clip off the bent ends, splits and ends with white dots. I have found some pretty freaky splits in which the hair has split multiple times. Splits do get worse so it better to trim them as soon as possible. I dust every week. It is much easier to dust in natural light.

Alaskanheart
March 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
from my perspective of growing out layers and old chemical bleach, S&Ding is very important. Trimming regulary hardly would help, because my layers wouldnt get touched, and in my layers is where most of the damage is, and where it gets tangly.Also because of the old Chemical bleach my hair is weaker at the ends, so if I dont S&D I get tangles and knarles, then the tangles make it difficult to comb, and that creates splits and damage.

Maybe when all of my old chemical hair is grown out I wont need to S&d, I dont know.

I just make sure I only cut one hair at a time, that my scissors are sharp, and that I cut the hair straight across.I do this whenever I feel like Im getting tangly.

jojo
March 25th, 2008, 05:00 PM
for me i get too obsessed and then i end up cutting more than i want, so im going to try and do a year without scissors and see what happens.

birthmarkie
March 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think it is worth it. It drives me nuts to look for splits when I am without my scissors, though. A good session here and there can really make you feel like your ends are thanking you. Especially if you get to the point where you can't find any more splits for the time being. :cheese:

squiggyflop
March 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
my ends have been looking pretty thin since i did a s&d but about 40% of my hairs are split due to me bleaching and dyeing my hair all the time before LHC... im probobly going to have to cut of a good 7 inches of my hair little by little to get rid of all the damaged hair...

EdG
March 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I don't get split ends; however, I do get plenty of tangles. I deal with the tangles by very carefully finger-untangling them. I can almost always avoid cutting unless a few strands become hopelessly knotted.

Arianwen
March 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I'm a lazy S&Der....I guess it's worth it. :) I use some cheapo Goody scissors.

n3m3sis42
March 26th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the feedback! what o you mean by good scissors? where do I get them?

Hey, I wanted to know the same thing, so I started my own thread about hair scissor recommendations. Here's the link in case that helps.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1699

soleluna
March 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I bought my new scissors today!! Thanks!

MusingFrog
March 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I have two answers to this. When I first joined LHC I started doing S&D and it really really helped with tangles and knotting. At that point I had lots of Y shaped splits and they would catch easily on other hairs.

It has been awhile since then though. I still have splits, but they aren't that Y shape anymore. Now it is mainly lots and lots of little white bulbs on the ends of my hair (I can't even remember if those are actually bad...). I haven't had a tangle in several months, I can easily run my fingers through my hair, etc. I haven't S&Ded in ages. So for me, while I'm sure it couldn't hurt, I simply do not see the point. I tend to go by how my hair feels over how it looks. It doesn't look bad and it certainly doesn't feel bad. I don't want to mess with a good thing.

emeraldjoy
March 26th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I am in the middle of S&D. My hair is in kind of a funk right now. I am hoping this will perk it up a bit.

Siowiel
March 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
My hair needs S&D, too. It is medium fine and from shoulders down very damaged from harsh colorations.

When I tried to grow my hair previously, I knew nothing about cutting only split ends (neither anything about keeping hair up, using gentle products and brushes etc...) and always reached a point where the only solution seemed to be a great chop (about 10-15cm), usually shortly before BSL. Now, I am at waist, haven't trimmed for nearly 13 months and I am quite happy with my hair (although I slacked a bit off with S&D and have therefore more splits now).

Garnetgem
January 22nd, 2016, 05:20 AM
Yes i feel it is i have been S&D for the past 20 years and my hair is in a nice condition i rarely have it trimmed only from time to time to tidy it up,but S&D seems to prevent tangles..for me at least :)

lapis_lazuli
January 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Absolutely. The condition of my hair has vastly improved since I've been doing it. You just need a lot of patience :)