PDA

View Full Version : Honey

Ranee
March 8th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi guys, it's so good to be back! :D

Now, let's talk hair... I've tried the honey mixed with conditioner several times and it did little to nothing for my hair. So now I'm wondering... would it be possible to use honey only (without the condish?) Has anyone ever tried this before?

ktani
March 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Ranee

What are you trying to do with the honey - condition or condition and lighten?

Yes, you can use honey alone - it will be considerably more sticky - one person reported using it in tiny amounts as a leave-in - really tiny amounts - as in rub a bit into the palms of your hands and use the "shine" to run along damp hair length - and extra honey put directly on wet hair before applying the honey and conditioner treatment - in her case for lightening - the recipe was 50:50 honey and coconut cream. The leave-in was for conditioning and lightening (very slight added lightening).

Have a look at the Preferred List of Conditioners and more details on methods and recipes here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

Patrycja
March 8th, 2008, 05:42 PM
ktaniI clicked on two of your links on your siggy.The one about honey and the other about the ingrediants.I thought you should know that they aren't working properly.

Thanks for the link within your post though.I've had numerous problems with honey and I would like to see if I can use it,I just haven't found the right way for me yet.

ETA-I am getting so tired of editing after I look more throughly...I saw that you already know about the links.Sorry!m

ktani
March 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
ilovemycop

That is ok - I just removed the links - I will put them back if and when the archived threads return - I hope that they do but we will have to wait and see.

Please do not feel so bad about editing - I usually miss a typo or like now think of something else to add after the fact.

Sometimes it is unavoidable no matter how precise you try to be - but it is definitely not stupid - thoughtful, yes - sometimes not being careful yes - very human IMO.

Ranee
March 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
@ Ktani

I'm not trying to lighten. Just desperately trying to condition my crunchy en tangly hair.
Using honey as a leave in is a good idea! Parhaps mixed together with some EVOO. I'm a try that soon!

ktani
March 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Ranee

That sounds good - honey can leave a residue - that is why some people reported crunchy ends from a treatment - mixing it with EVOO would help but as I said the amount of honey as a leave-in was tiny.

A weak vinegar rinse following a honey treatment helps remove residue - 1 tsp to 24 oz of water, left on the hair 30 to 60 seconds and rinsed out. Either acv or white vinegar is fine.

ktani
March 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Ranee

The crunchy ends reported did not last following subsequent washings - no damage or lasting dryness were reported.

Viviane is the person who used/uses honey as a leave-in and did not report problems using it that way - she used/uses coconut cream in her treatment so she got conditioning through that as well.

FrannyG
March 9th, 2008, 07:15 AM
ktani, has anyone had success getting beyond the "reddish" phase when lightening their brown hair with honey?

ktani
March 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
frannyg

As far as I know, no one reported getting a reddish phase with honey lightening except henna users who reported their hair going more brown in most cases - but that varied - henna is a whole different animal.

In fact honey removed the reddish tone from a natural dark blonde with a reddish tone - unexpectedly - and it removed the reddish tone from a henna user who had used a henna mix - but as I said - results vary.

FrannyG
March 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thank you ktani. You're a wizard! :flowers: