PDA

View Full Version : People with ultra-healthy, prob. low porosity hair that gets weighted down easily

September 12th, 2020, 09:17 AM
...there must be some! Please come here, lol. There are tons of tutorials for people who need thick conditioners and stuff, but I just can't find anything if you're the other way. Since being WO for extended period of time (it didn't completely work for me, but it made my hair healthier), now using mild baby shampoo, and buzzing all my hair off they grown out... Very sleek. I finger comb as well, no hair dryer, no dyes, no nothing. So now the biggest problem is finding something that doesn't make my hair oily. Any other people like that here? What's your routine like? How do you style? How do you choose products? Do you use a conditioner at all?

florenonite
September 12th, 2020, 10:35 AM
*raises hand*

For years I didn't use conditioner because it just made my hair greasy and gross, and I grew it as long as hip length using just SLS shampoo and never had issues with tangling or split ends. I started using conditioner a while ago since moving to a place with hard water, as I started to get split ends; I suspect a big part of what conditioner helps with here is that conditioner binds to the cuticle, and if the conditioner is binding to the cuticle then the minerals in the water can't.

That said, with or without conditioner my hair does get frizzy very easily, especially in humid weather; when I lived in Scotland it never looked presentable until after I had slept on it. I have wavy hair that plays at being straight (I get ringlets and spirals here and there, but if I comb it while wet it dries straight), so I'm experimenting very tentatively with a heavily modified CG approach to see if I can turn the frizz into actual waves without just looking like I dipped my head in a chip pan. The first thing I'm going to try is to just use more conditioner until my hair feels slimy and I can easily run my fingers through it, then the squish to condish method to rinse it out, as that doesn't involve actually leaving anything in the hair.

September 12th, 2020, 11:23 AM
*raises hand*

For years I didn't use conditioner because it just made my hair greasy and gross, and I grew it as long as hip length using just SLS shampoo and never had issues with tangling or split ends. I started using conditioner a while ago since moving to a place with hard water, as I started to get split ends; I suspect a big part of what conditioner helps with here is that conditioner binds to the cuticle, and if the conditioner is binding to the cuticle then the minerals in the water can't.

That said, with or without conditioner my hair does get frizzy very easily, especially in humid weather; when I lived in Scotland it never looked presentable until after I had slept on it. I have wavy hair that plays at being straight (I get ringlets and spirals here and there, but if I comb it while wet it dries straight), so I'm experimenting very tentatively with a heavily modified CG approach to see if I can turn the frizz into actual waves without just looking like I dipped my head in a chip pan. The first thing I'm going to try is to just use more conditioner until my hair feels slimy and I can easily run my fingers through it, then the squish to condish method to rinse it out, as that doesn't involve actually leaving anything in the hair.

Hello xD
What conditioner/s do you use? That don't make your hair greasy?

Obsidian
September 12th, 2020, 12:36 PM
When I actually have non damaged virgin hair, its gets weighed down with even a tiny amount of conditioner, no matter how much I rinse it.
I mostly stopped using conditioner but when I do, its either the foaming pantene one or suave daily clarifying.

florenonite
September 12th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Hello xD
What conditioner/s do you use? That don't make your hair greasy?

I find most cone-free conditioners seem to be okay; I use this one (https://ca.live-clean.com/collections/hair/products/live-clean-clean-air-weightless-volume-conditioner) in big gobs to wash out henna and I've used this one (https://www.herbalessences.ca/en-ca/discover-products/collections/charcoal/replenish-white-charocal-conditioner) to good success as a general post-shampoo conditioner. Recently I've been using Nightblooming's solid Selkie shampoo and conditioner bars (https://nightblooming.com/2020/07/19/selkie-bar-samples/) and really loving them ^_^

lapushka
September 12th, 2020, 03:31 PM
...there must be some! Please come here, lol. There are tons of tutorials for people who need thick conditioners and stuff, but I just can't find anything if you're the other way. Since being WO for extended period of time (it didn't completely work for me, but it made my hair healthier), now using mild baby shampoo, and buzzing all my hair off they grown out... Very sleek. I finger comb as well, no hair dryer, no dyes, no nothing. So now the biggest problem is finding something that doesn't make my hair oily. Any other people like that here? What's your routine like? How do you style? How do you choose products? Do you use a conditioner at all?

Try "volumizing" stuff.

For instance the Pantene Aqua Light is not a bad lightweight conditioner. And of course it also depends... I didn't use conditioner until about APL, before that your hair is just not long enough to need it. :shrug:

illicitlizard
September 12th, 2020, 04:01 PM
I agree with Lapushka, volumising shampoo works well for me, just finished the Sukin Volumising Shampoo (sulphate free), now onto something heavier that weighs my hair down a bit but I don't mind these days...
For conditioner, lots of cone free conditioners have worked for me, look for ones with reviews that say aren't thick enough with ingredients lacking oils/butters is a good start. I love Silk18 conditioner for being so light, Desert Essence mango conditioner also works well for me.
My main other tips are use sulphates if your skin can handle it, always made my hair way more voluminous especially in my teens when I was a little oily. Also only condition the ends of they need it.

September 30th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Try "volumizing" stuff.

For instance the Pantene Aqua Light is not a bad lightweight conditioner. And of course it also depends... I didn't use conditioner until about APL, before that your hair is just not long enough to need it. :shrug:

How did you style them then? You'd just use shampoo and apply styler after, like a foam or something?

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 04:25 AM
Alberto Vo5 Moisture Milk Strawberries and Cream shampoo helps with oily hair... for me at least. The conditioner that goes with the shampoo helps soften my strands without causing my hair to look greasy. I then wait till it air dries, comb, and do a low ponytail braid.