PDA

View Full Version : how would you wear your hair if you were born elsewhere?

Lucy McLucyFace
September 10th, 2020, 02:03 AM
That cultural appropriation thread seemed a little pessimistic so I was thinking why not do something a little more fun :)

In this thread, let's picture how we would wear our hair if we were born into a different cultural and/or ethnic background.

I start:
- If I were born African I'd go crazy in my puberty about all sorts of colourful weaves and box braids. Then in adulthood I'd try to go for a more natural approach, maybe grow it out and use relaxers to show the length
- If I were born in east Asia I would experiment with different trendy layered cuts and bangs on mid to long hair (my hair as it is doesn't react well to layering unless it's very long layers)
- If I were born in South Asia I'd probably have a rebellious phase in my puberty and then conform to more traditional ways of wearing hair. I've seen how gorgeous Indian women's long hair looks
- If I were of native American descent I'd do my usual puberty thing as I've done in my life but later on I would have done research into my roots and how they wore their hair
- If I were born anywhere and my hair was red I would grow it out as long as possible to look like a giant flame, I just think it looks so beautiful

I'm leaving out a lot of areas of the world just because I don't know much about their hair

CuteCrow
September 10th, 2020, 05:39 AM
I'm a bit curious if this is a "If i were born with a different hairtype in a different culture" or more like "if I were born in a different culture with my current hair"
Also... Are you american? No offence indented, but I found it interesting how you categorise entire continents as a single culture, but then "Native American" as an independent one and I've seen this happen a lot with Americans lol. I think hair styles would be different if you are talking about Egypt or Mauritania than those of Congo or Uganda. I think a good idea for this thread would be talking about individual cultures, I'd be really culture apreciative.

Lucy McLucyFace
September 10th, 2020, 06:20 AM
I'm a bit curious if this is a "If i were born with a different hairtype in a different culture" or more like "if I were born in a different culture with my current hair"
Also... Are you american? No offence indented, but I found it interesting how you categorise entire continents as a single culture, but then "Native American" as an independent one and I've seen this happen a lot with Americans lol. I think hair styles would be different if you are talking about Egypt or Mauritania than those of Congo or Uganda. I think a good idea for this thread would be talking about individual cultures, I'd be really culture apreciative.

I'm Portuguese. I meant born as being in a different ethnic background. No intent to offend but I'm not here to list down every individual country, just roughly regions

CuteCrow
September 10th, 2020, 09:41 AM
I'm Portuguese. I meant born as being in a different ethnic background. No intent to offend but I'm not here to list down every individual country, just roughly regions

Sorry for assuming your nationality. It just happens that I encountered mostly Americans who do those generalisations.
I didn't meant that you should name every single country but it would be a lot more sensitive to name individual countries because even two neighboring countries can have totally different approaches and trends about hair.
Also, generalising like that leads to stereotypes and a lot of people can find it really offensive.

I wasn't trying to attack you or your post, just trying to make it more friendly and appreciative toward different cultures.

For example playing by the rules "same ethnic background but born and raised in a different culture" I could say:

- If I were born in Algeria I would use garlic to make my hair grow faster and thicker and wear it in a low ponytail with a string of cloth wrapped around it that works both for protecting my hair and as a heatless straightening method.

- If I were born in Andean peru I'd wash it with saqta root to make it shiny and growth faster. I would wear my hair in a single or double English braids, as I age I'd wear tassels and pompoms at the ends of the braids to make them look longer.

I think this would be funny and help us learn about other cultures it could even turn out to be a kind of "hairstyle of the month" but with hairstyles around the world :D

Dark40
September 10th, 2020, 09:57 AM
That cultural appropriation thread seemed a little pessimistic so I was thinking why not do something a little more fun :)

In this thread, let's picture how we would wear our hair if we were born into a different cultural and/or ethnic background.

I start:
- If I were born African I'd go crazy in my puberty about all sorts of colourful weaves and box braids. Then in adulthood I'd try to go for a more natural approach, maybe grow it out and use relaxers to show the length
- If I were born in east Asia I would experiment with different trendy layered cuts and bangs on mid to long hair (my hair as it is doesn't react well to layering unless it's very long layers)
- If I were born in South Asia I'd probably have a rebellious phase in my puberty and then conform to more traditional ways of wearing hair. I've seen how gorgeous Indian women's long hair looks
- If I were of native American descent I'd do my usual puberty thing as I've done in my life but later on I would have done research into my roots and how they wore their hair
- If I were born anywhere and my hair was red I would grow it out as long as possible to look like a giant flame, I just think it looks so beautiful

I'm leaving out a lot of areas of the world just because I don't know much about their hair

I'm an American but born of different races. Mainly Iberian, Indian, Hispanic, and of African descent. If I was born in Iberia I would wear it down pin straight all of the time, and if I was born in India I would also wear it in the way they were theirs(which is up or down on a daily basis). Which is very beautiful I totally agree with you. If I would born a Hispanic country I would also wear my hair the majority of their beautiful hair styles as well. If I was born in Africa I would mostly wear it in weaves and relax it to show it's length.

mermaid lullaby
September 10th, 2020, 10:07 AM
and ....here we go with the fighting. At least to me.

Lucy, I get what you are trying to do, and I think it's great! but it's inevitable that this will end up like the other thread. It's just... how people are now.