PDA

View Full Version : For those with SCALP ISSUES! ( funky, itchy , dandruff etc... )

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 05:52 AM
Funky scalp care
I’m not sure how many of you have this problem. Due to how thick my hair is, my scalp has issues. During the winter it becomes itchy and I often get dandruff. During the summer it can get really funky with a layer of dandruff that’s more like stinky goop.

Shampoos like Paul Mitchell’s Tea Tree Oil work well but they dry my hair out really bad.

Recently I came across a shampoo from the body shop and the reviews are exceptionally promising.

For the last 3 or 4 months I’ve been having a massive hair shed so have decided to increase my washing from once a week to twice a week.

For those who have scalp issues, what do you use?

I’ve used peppermint and while it works well for ridding fungus and bacteria, it’s not so great for the funky smell.

Unfortunately I can’t use silicones in my hair; especially not on my scalp. It suffocates my pores and I end up with super oily hair and my hair is never oily. It’s ridiculously dry.

This shampoo will only be used for scalp washes only. I may go to a Body Shop store today and get some to try. The reviews are amazing and I particularly liked the fact that many of them commented about the lovely ginger scent. I love the smell of ginger. Normally I use all natural products but for my scalp, this might not be best.

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/hair/shampoo/ginger-scalp-care-shampoo/p/p002450?activeVariant=1078300&ds_kid=92700052923182787&utm_placement=Ginger&gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google&utm_id=go_cmp-9787095266_adg-99881459237_ad-430052416730_pla-323722114768_dev-m_ext-_prd-1078300_sig-Cj0KCQjw-uH6BRDQARIsAI3I-UfQVJ4UVl267pvi6sM1zrcLwb8_DNrW6PGOHvxOaf3yiIijCG7 _YLUaAjxzEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uH6BRDQARIsAI3I-UfQVJ4UVl267pvi6sM1zrcLwb8_DNrW6PGOHvxOaf3yiIijCG7 _YLUaAjxzEALw_wcB

Dear mods .... if this thread is better served in a different thread please feel free to move it where it’s better suited.

lapushka
September 9th, 2020, 07:22 AM
I think this thread can also be linked here, the official SD thread! I do understand your scope is wider than this!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045&highlight=dermatitis

Ylva
September 9th, 2020, 07:46 AM
There's also the "Scalp care" thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=149083

xoxophelia
September 9th, 2020, 08:54 AM
Hi there! I have a little bit of dandruff and use head and shoulders. I started developing visible scaling from my ear stretching into my scalp. So, I basically apply the head and shoulders to my scalp every other day, let it sit for at least 5 minutes, and then I rinse and shampoo/condition my hair. I know every other day is a lot but I was advised to actually do it every single day until the issue clears up and then use it 1-2 times a week.

Basically, the flakes can happen because of an overgrowth of natural yeast that lives on the scalp and feeds off oils. The yeast then irritates the skin and the immune response is to shed skin more quickly (flakes). It is contrary to LHC advice but with these scalp issues it is then important to regularly treat and keep the scalp free of oil or buildup.

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Yes indeed. Dandruff is definitely a fungus and needs to be treated as such. I’ve been dealing with this issue my entire life’s. When life gets busy I somehow forget. Perhaps it’s the old age factor. Normally I brush my hair more and give myself scalp massages which really help a lot. Somehow this problem got forgotten along with how important it is until I see the piles of hair.

Anyway today I went into The Body Shop and picked up Ginger Scalp Care Shampoo, Conditioner & Serum.
While talking with the woman I told her I don’t normally use shampoos with SLS in them since they are so harsh on my hair and said that these are strictly plant based and very gentle ( sodium laureth sulfate ). Since I washed my hair this morning I haven’t tried it yet but I did just use the ginger serum and can feel the extra blood circulating on my scalp and it feels great. It’s so soothing. The smell is of fresh ginger is intoxicating. The conditioner is nice and light, smells wonderful. Since I only added a touch tondry hair I can’t really give a full review here but I think I’ve found the right stuff for me.

I’ve used Head ‘n Shoulders and while it also works well, it’s a bit too drying for my already dry curls.
Those threads look like perfect scalp care resources so thank you ladies. Much appreciated.

waff
September 9th, 2020, 12:44 PM
I have always dealt with scalp issues since childhood, and I still do as an adult. I have tried all the shampoos, the only one that worked for a while was Nizoral. It does not work on controlling the issue anymore. I get flare ups, itching, flakes, dandruff to the point that if I don't do something about it it forms a thick layer of gunk right on top of my scalp. Lately the only thing that has been helping me is oiling my scalp. I use a mix of Carrier oils and EO such as peppermint and tea tree oil. I have to do this at least once a week, and I wash twice minimum a week. When I stay on top of the scalp oiling and the washing, the flakes can completely go away. Anytime I slack off the hot oil treatments due to been busy with life, it comes back with full force.

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 01:31 PM
I have always dealt with scalp issues since childhood, and I still do as an adult. I have tried all the shampoos, the only one that worked for a while was Nizoral. It does not work on controlling the issue anymore. I get flare ups, itching, flakes, dandruff to the point that if I don't do something about it it forms a thick layer of gunk right on top of my scalp. Lately the only thing that has been helping me is oiling my scalp. I use a mix of Carrier oils and EO such as peppermint and tea tree oil. I have to do this at least once a week, and I wash twice minimum a week. When I stay on top of the scalp oiling and the washing, the flakes can completely go away. Anytime I slack off the hot oil treatments due to been busy with life, it comes back with full force.

The way you described your scalp and how you dealt with it is exactly how I dealt with mine minus the Nizoral. Peppermint and tea tree oil do work great and I have those essential oils. I think I just needed a new routine with a fresh new scent which is exactly what I have now. Like yourself, my life got busy and I wasn’t taking care of myself properly. The patches you explained quite well. The reason why I regularly wear braids instead of wearing my hair up is due to this. Even wearing hats gives me issues. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Chromis
September 9th, 2020, 02:30 PM
I don't think all dandruff is always fungus.

I have noticed that for me, it is always tied to hard water. Extreme hard water, not just a little hard!! HLH, I suspect you are having similar issues given that you are on a dolostone formation. Your native rock is extremely rich in magnesium and calcium and has a high pH. (Dolostone is limestone that has had part of its calcium converted to magnesium by seawater. Americans call it dolomite and the UK calls it magnesium limestone). Horrible for the scalp, but great for healthy bones and you do have some cool fossil sites out your way!

My scalp problems basically disappeared now that I have moved to a place with no municipal water since we are on rainwater catchment. Using a whole house water softener in KW did help a great deal though. Henna did as well and so did making sure I used an acidic rinse with every wash. No matter what I washed with.

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 04:08 PM
No! Not all dandruff is fungus related.
OMG! That’s it!! We have super hard water and my husband unplugged the water softener since it was going off every night and emptying our well. The salt helps with the mineral deposits as well as breaks down bacteria and fungus. We need a new water softener. Rinsing with Apple cider vinegar has always helped and something I stopped doing.
Thanks for the reminder Chromis. That was awesome. It makes more sense to me now. I’m still very pleased with the products I got today. I’ve got more hair goodies coming in the mail soon too.

Note: colouring with henna helped a lot. Plus I’d add peppermint oil to henna and did this every two weeks. My scalp was definitely healthier then. I did miss henna.

Strands
September 9th, 2020, 04:39 PM
I recently made a whole thread about my recent bout with a small case of scalp psoriasis. I do NOT know how similar our issues are, but I encourage you guys to try washing with TEA a couple times a week, then conditioning as usual.

I did 2. COUNT THEM -- 1 ... 2. Treatments like this and my issues are GONE. I tried a lot of things before this. I was suffering since FEBRUARY. I really encourage you to try it. :flowers:

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 05:03 PM
Thanks Strands! That’s interesting.
So is this orange peako type tea?
Do you leave it on or rinse it out?

Strands
September 9th, 2020, 05:42 PM
Thanks Strands! That’s interesting.
So is this orange peako type tea?
Do you leave it on or rinse it out?

Nope, it was a WHITE tea! Just plain white tea that I steeped super long, think an hour. One tea bag in 2 cups of HOT water. Once the time was up I took the bag out, and used it to wash my scalp in the shower.

I used an empty coffee creamer bottle to distribute the cooled/brewed tea and that worked great for me. I got head wet, and then poured a little and worked the scalp a little, then moved on to the next spot. Did the whole head like that. I even went over a couple spots with the extra. Let it set while I washed up, then rinsed it out lukewarm water, conditioned ears down, and etc as per usual. Even did LOC when I got out. I did the first treatment on a Tuesday, and the second one on a Thursday and by that weekend the day of my regular shampoo wash my psoriasis was GONE. Nothing since, and it has been a week now.

I imagine you COULD leave it on, I don't see how it could hurt honestly. I mostly think I rinsed etc. because I do have to condition everytime my hair gets wet or it gets pretty bad.

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 06:26 PM
Nope, it was a WHITE tea! Just plain white tea that I steeped super long, think an hour. One tea bag in 2 cups of HOT water. Once the time was up I took the bag out, and used it to wash my scalp in the shower.

I used an empty coffee creamer bottle to distribute the cooled/brewed tea and that worked great for me. I got head wet, and then poured a little and worked the scalp a little, then moved on to the next spot. Did the whole head like that. I even went over a couple spots with the extra. Let it set while I washed up, then rinsed it out lukewarm water, conditioned ears down, and etc as per usual. Even did LOC when I got out. I did the first treatment on a Tuesday, and the second one on a Thursday and by that weekend the day of my regular shampoo wash my psoriasis was GONE. Nothing since, and it has been a week now.

I imagine you COULD leave it on, I don't see how it could hurt honestly. I mostly think I rinsed etc. because I do have to condition everytime my hair gets wet or it gets pretty bad.

This is really quite interesting. I haven’t had any psoriasis patches since I’ve started brushing my hair properly but I’m going to get some white tea anyway and honestly,.... I LOVE using old age wisdom or holistic methods than any other type. They usually end up being the easiest solutions.
Thanks Strands :flower:

Chromis
September 9th, 2020, 07:42 PM
No! Not all dandruff is fungus related.
OMG! That’s it!! We have super hard water and my husband unplugged the water softener since it was going off every night and emptying our well. The salt helps with the mineral deposits as well as breaks down bacteria and fungus. We need a new water softener. Rinsing with Apple cider vinegar has always helped and something I stopped doing.
Thanks for the reminder Chromis. That was awesome. It makes more sense to me now. I’m still very pleased with the products I got today. I’ve got more hair goodies coming in the mail soon too.

Note: colouring with henna helped a lot. Plus I’d add peppermint oil to henna and did this every two weeks. My scalp was definitely healthier then. I did miss henna.

No prob!

I had been playing with sedr and cassia for a while to see if they would have a similar effect but without colouring my sparklies but now I have to be much more careful with my water consumption so that would be too much rinsing. My scalp is happier with the rainwater, but I did also like how henna made my hair glossier and sleeker too and I quite miss that!

hennalonghair
September 9th, 2020, 08:48 PM
You know I actually considered cassia while growing out my greys. It may have lightened my red some. There’s no way I’d try it now though. It would leave a yellow stain on my silvers which I wouldn’t like. My silver is more blue silver.

That sedr sounds like it would work. It claims to condition the scalp just like henna, provides body, aids in detangling and adds shine.

The water used to for washing hair makes a huge difference.

I miss using henna. I miss seeing the depth of colour as well as the defined curls, extra body and shine.
It keep my scalp really healthy.

Strands
September 9th, 2020, 09:18 PM
This is really quite interesting. I haven’t had any psoriasis patches since I’ve started brushing my hair properly but I’m going to get some white tea anyway and honestly,.... I LOVE using old age wisdom or holistic methods than any other type. They usually end up being the easiest solutions.
Thanks Strands :flower:

No problem! Hope this helps! I was reading about the tannins in tea having different healing properties and their use for skin problems which lead to this attempt. Let me know if this works!!!

GoddesJourney
September 9th, 2020, 11:12 PM
If the hard water thing doesn't turn out to be the case, I find that washing more frequently and scrubbing with a silicone brush really got my scalp back to health. I had nasty flake scalp for years of living in a hot and humid environment and always having to wear a hat outdoors, plus stress and insomnia. Even cutting my hair short and having it thinned out didn't work. I got gentler shampoos with just a touch of oil and went from CO most of the week and one or two S and C, to S and C almost every day and rarely if ever CO. I shed more but my scalp I super happy and doesn't itch anymore. No more flakes.

I tried a bottle of the trader Joe's tea tree shampoo. Although I did like it (the smell was not my favorite but not actually bad) special shampoos never seem to help more than a little and never for longer than a week or so.

This is probably irrelevant information, and hopefully the hard water is the issue. Just thought I'd share in case it wasn't.

Bri-Chan
September 10th, 2020, 03:32 AM
My scalp is capricious. It seems to be both oily and dry. I mean, I can go 3 to 5 days without washing, but when I touch my scalp I can feel it really dry but with some oil. I have some dandruff, in some seasons more. And it's itchy. I've still not found a shampoo that actually works, because often shampoos created for dry hair are too harsh on me. I considered cowash and I do it sometimes but my scalp gets worse when massaged so it's something I can't do so often. The shampoos I "like" more makes my hair dirty faster.

Strands
September 10th, 2020, 05:40 AM
My scalp is capricious. It seems to be both oily and dry. I mean, I can go 3 to 5 days without washing, but when I touch my scalp I can feel it really dry but with some oil. I have some dandruff, in some seasons more. And it's itchy. I've still not found a shampoo that actually works, because often shampoos created for dry hair are too harsh on me. I considered cowash and I do it sometimes but my scalp gets worse when massaged so it's something I can't do so often. The shampoos I "like" more makes my hair dirty faster.

I'm gonna harp my tea rinse on you as well. Mostly because I am curious how far the range of it will go. :horse: For how quickly the tea cleared up my problems, I just must know what all it is good for. If you try this out PLEASE let me know. I am way too excited about this recent discovery to just let it go obviously.

florenonite
September 10th, 2020, 05:46 AM
I don't think all dandruff is always fungus.

I have noticed that for me, it is always tied to hard water. Extreme hard water, not just a little hard!! HLH, I suspect you are having similar issues given that you are on a dolostone formation. Your native rock is extremely rich in magnesium and calcium and has a high pH. (Dolostone is limestone that has had part of its calcium converted to magnesium by seawater. Americans call it dolomite and the UK calls it magnesium limestone). Horrible for the scalp, but great for healthy bones and you do have some cool fossil sites out your way!

My scalp problems basically disappeared now that I have moved to a place with no municipal water since we are on rainwater catchment. Using a whole house water softener in KW did help a great deal though. Henna did as well and so did making sure I used an acidic rinse with every wash. No matter what I washed with.

This is interesting, because my scalp was worse when I lived in Scotland, which has soft water, than it is now in KW, where the water is freakishly hard. We do have a water softener, but it's old and not terribly good (it's much better than nothing, but I can still tell the water is harder than what we had in Scotland). Though that could be because Scotland is damp and humid ALL THE TIME, so it took my hair an eternity to dry, whereas here it's bone dry in the winter and hot in the summer and only takes around 6-8 hours to dry.

I'm with you on the acid rinse; I haven't had to do one in a while, but I love Nightblooming's alluvial (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/600148600/alluvial-chelating-crystal-rinse-255g?ga_search_query=alluvial) when my scalp is acting up. I usually find that if my scalp is starting to get itchy and flaky I can do one rinse with that the next time I shower and I'm good for a wee bit.

hennalonghair: One thing that I do find helps is lathering twice. Because my hair is so thick and dense, sometimes the first time I shampoo it's really hard to get a good, fluffy lather over all my scalp, which is crucial for actually dispersing the cleanser across the entire scalp. So I'll shampoo once without worrying too much if it's lathering (my water is hard, so it doesn't), rinse, then shampoo again and get lots of lather and be able to scrub it across my entire scalp.

Bri-Chan
September 10th, 2020, 07:43 AM
I'm gonna harp my tea rinse on you as well. Mostly because I am curious how far the range of it will go. :horse: For how quickly the tea cleared up my problems, I just must know what all it is good for. If you try this out PLEASE let me know. I am way too excited about this recent discovery to just let it go obviously.

Could tea make hair darker? Also, I don't own white tea. Just tones of green and black tea. Could they work too?

Strands
September 10th, 2020, 08:21 AM
Could tea make hair darker? Also, I don't own white tea. Just tones of green and black tea. Could they work too?

I don't see why not. I used to use green tea to rinse my hair a lot and I found it helped with growth. I stopped doing it simply because I got lazy. But I think for the sake of trying to correct your scalp, I would use black tea.

I do not think it would color your hair. You are rinsing it to wash the scalp, and then rinsing it out. I certainly did not notice a color change, and even the white tea brewed is quite dark after the hour it takes to really get a lot of tannin in it.

I would try it with the black tea myself.

Bri-Chan
September 10th, 2020, 08:36 AM
I don't see why not. I used to use green tea to rinse my hair a lot and I found it helped with growth. I stopped doing it simply because I got lazy. But I think for the sake of trying to correct your scalp, I would use black tea.

I do not think it would color your hair. You are rinsing it to wash the scalp, and then rinsing it out. I certainly did not notice a color change, and even the white tea brewed is quite dark after the hour it takes to really get a lot of tannin in it.

I would try it with the black tea myself.

Oh, fine. I'll try for sure, maybe next week.

lapushka
September 10th, 2020, 03:07 PM
I always do recommend if you're unsure and cannot figure it out to try a dermatologist. I suffered with "dandruff" for so long in my teens before actually going to the dermatologist for another issue. He took one look at my scalp (which was red at the time in spots and had big flakes here and there), and prescribed me Nizoral 2%. The rest is history. It works for me, but that means it's been taylored to my scalp by a pro.

If you can figure it out by yourself, awesome, but don't suffer in silence when you don't have to would be my message, especially if nothing you try (like natural or otherwise) helps!

EdG
September 10th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Make sure that the hair is not matted or folded against the scalp. Every time that I combed out such a mat, I was left with a bunch of lint, broken hairs, and the smell of mold/bacteria. This was not good for the scalp.
Ed

ExpectoPatronum
September 10th, 2020, 03:49 PM
I don't really know what's going on with my scalp. It has this oily powder on it that gets worse the longer I wait between wash days.

I tried washing with an SLS shampoo regularly, but that only exacerbated the issue. My scalp calms down when I use gentle shampoos. Using a shampoo brush to deep clean helps too.

Strands
September 10th, 2020, 04:21 PM
I don't really know what's going on with my scalp. It has this oily powder on it that gets worse the longer I wait between wash days.

I tried washing with an SLS shampoo regularly, but that only exacerbated the issue. My scalp calms down when I use gentle shampoos. Using a shampoo brush to deep clean helps too.

I get that near behind my ears sometimes! When I started being more careful about NOT getting conditioner on the upper parts of my hair it stopped. I suspected the conditioner I had used all along was bothering my scalp, although it was great on the length. It was a giovanni product, and this was almost 3 years ago now, but what a strange thing. It was just as you described - White powdery / oily. And it smelled funny, it was NOT left over conditioner I was just not rinsing out. Check your conditioner routine! Keep it away from your ~problem areas~.

BexLocks
September 10th, 2020, 04:32 PM
I get small pimples on the back of my head. Usually only 1 or 2, and it's often day 3-4 after a wash. I oil my scalp before washing every time, otherwise I have terrible itching. Anybody having similar issues? I think they could be related to my rosacea. I sadly spent a lot of money on a fancy redken conditioner that flares it up. My scalp seems to do much better silicone/SLS free, although it could also have been the fragrance in the condish. It was very strong. Live and learn.

EdG
September 10th, 2020, 04:40 PM

I get that near behind my ears sometimes! When I started being more careful about NOT getting conditioner on the upper parts of my hair it stopped. I suspected the conditioner I had used all along was bothering my scalp, although it was great on the length. It was a giovanni product, and this was almost 3 years ago now, but what a strange thing. It was just as you described - White powdery / oily. And it smelled funny, it was NOT left over conditioner I was just not rinsing out. Check your conditioner routine! Keep it away from your ~problem areas~.White powdery/waxy stuff sounds like old sebum.

The comb tines need to reach the scalp and cover every square inch. Mats or folds in the hair can prevent the tines from reaching the scalp. The areas around the ears and nape are especially susceptible.
Ed

Strands
September 10th, 2020, 05:11 PM
White powdery/waxy stuff sounds like old sebum.

The comb tines need to reach the scalp and cover every square inch. Mats or folds in the hair can prevent the tines from reaching the scalp. The areas around the ears and nape are especially susceptible.
Ed

Huh! That would certainly be interesting to consider to go back in time, but for how seriously I was shampooing back then before I found out about diluting my shampoo and water I can be fairly certain from memory but I was definitely shampooing more than enough to remove any old sebaceous oil... but of course as humans we can only remember what we remember and we can’t go back and re-examine. Maybe you’re right! But from what I remember I was shampooing pretty vigorously trying to get rid of it and the only thing that helped me was to keep conditioner further away. Who knows!

EdG
September 10th, 2020, 07:37 PM
Huh! That would certainly be interesting to consider to go back in time, but for how seriously I was shampooing back then before I found out about diluting my shampoo and water I can be fairly certain from memory but I was definitely shampooing more than enough to remove any old sebaceous oil... but of course as humans we can only remember what we remember and we can’t go back and re-examine. Maybe you’re right! But from what I remember I was shampooing pretty vigorously trying to get rid of it and the only thing that helped me was to keep conditioner further away. Who knows!My experience is that shampoo removes only the lighter, oily components of sebum. The heavy, waxy components need to be removed mechanically by combing. I have combed waxy sebum out of shampooed hair. It can accumulate in mats/folds along with lint if the comb has never reached those places.
Ed

Strands
September 11th, 2020, 07:09 AM
My experience is that shampoo removes only the lighter, oily components of sebum. The heavy, waxy components need to be removed mechanically by combing. I have combed waxy sebum out of shampooed hair. It can accumulate in mats/folds along with lint if the comb has never reached those places.
Ed

hmm. Well I can be sure that must not by my issue from the description. I brush daily in quarter sections each morning to detangle and use product in my hair. If I had a spot in my hair that was so severe it FELT funny I would lose my lid, that has never happened.

The oily/powdery white from the conditioner I had used was NOT waxy or something I could comb out. :/ I am pretty convinced at this point it was a bad body chemistry reaction between my scalp and the conditioner. I have only had this issue with one of the Giovanni Conditioners, I have bought it at least twice now but I LOVE said conditioner because of the way it leaves my hair once dry. I just cannot let it reach my scalp, it causes issues.

I have never had matts or folds in my hair that have gone untouched. :/

EdG
September 11th, 2020, 09:04 AM
I have never had matts or folds in my hair that have gone untouched. :/I am certain that everyone is different. :)

I have been combing out mats/folds for the past three years. The irony is that the hair is only 0.5-2 years old. Mats are really hard to remove once the lint has reached a certain concentration.
Ed

Strands
September 11th, 2020, 09:32 AM
I am certain that everyone is different. :)

I have been combing out mats/folds for the past three years. The irony is that the hair is only 0.5-2 years old. Mats are really hard to remove once the lint has reached a certain concentration.
Ed

Indeed! We are all very different - mileage may vary.

ExpectoPatronum
September 11th, 2020, 03:29 PM
I get that near behind my ears sometimes! When I started being more careful about NOT getting conditioner on the upper parts of my hair it stopped. I suspected the conditioner I had used all along was bothering my scalp, although it was great on the length. It was a giovanni product, and this was almost 3 years ago now, but what a strange thing. It was just as you described - White powdery / oily. And it smelled funny, it was NOT left over conditioner I was just not rinsing out. Check your conditioner routine! Keep it away from your ~problem areas~.

Glad I'm not the only one! However, I don't think my issue is conditioner. I am very careful to not apply conditioner anywhere near my scalp. My problem area is the top of my head, which is nowhere near where I apply conditioner.

White powdery/waxy stuff sounds like old sebum.

Ed

Maybe I'll try giving my hair a good comb before washing. I actually don't really comb or brush my hair outside of finger-detangling in the shower :hmm:

hennalonghair
September 12th, 2020, 05:17 AM
I’ve washed my hair with this Ginger Shampoo from the body shop so will write my review so far.

https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-ca/hair/shampoo/ginger-scalp-care-shampoo/p/p002450

It lathers REALLY well which I like a lot.
The ginger smell is very clean & fresh.
It’s super gentle and soothing to the scalp.
It rinses out easily.

The conditioner is silky smooth, has no silicones and smells amazing. It’s so easy to apply.

I finished with an apple cider rinse and my scalp feels amazing.

The hair serum is very soothing to the scalp and probably something I didn’t need to purchase but I’ll keep it for if and when I get any troublesome spots of psoriasis or whatever it is.

I’ll give an update on how well it dries and how long my scalp stays healthy.

Today I’m going to wash all my combs and brushes.

I’ve decided not to try the tea. Since my hair is very silver on top, I don’t want to risk staining it a yellow colour and with how naturally porous and coarse my hair is, it would.

September 12th, 2020, 09:28 AM
Hey,
WO helped some, but not enough. For me cheap mild baby shampoo from the grocery store (not Johnson's, grocery store brand) works great IF I don't use it more often than every 4 days. If I use it more often it gives me flakes too. Egg yolk and aritha (not in the same wash, lol) remove flakes too but also cause them if used regularly, so idk.

hennalonghair
September 13th, 2020, 04:34 AM
Water only would make my scalp far worse. This ginger shampoo is very gentle and did the trick. I conditioned the length and washed my scalp twice. My hair is super clean but really soft, shiny and fluffy. I wasn’t expecting to love this shampoo so much but it’s great. I’m not fond of the serum though and will skip that part next time. I love the fresh ginger scent. It goes nicely with my coconut / lime scent I wear.

ExpectoPatronum
September 13th, 2020, 06:08 PM
So, I tried EdG's suggestion of giving my scalp a really good combing before washing. So far, it looks promising! Immediately after combing, I thought the powederiness looked worse which I took as a sign that the comb loosened up all the "gunk" off my scalp so it can be washed away. So far, there's only been a minor improvement so I'm going to try it a few times to see if it helps.

ExpectoPatronum
September 14th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Just wanted to come back and say that combing my scalp thoroughly really helped! There's still some residue but it's noticeably less than before.

I used a "fine-toothed" bamboo comb to really scritch my scalp after detangling my hair. It looks like I need to make this a regular part of my routine!

hennalonghair
September 14th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Just wanted to come back and say that combing my scalp thoroughly really helped! There's still some residue but it's noticeably less than before.

I used a "fine-toothed" bamboo comb to really scritch my scalp after detangling my hair. It looks like I need to make this a regular part of my routine!
I’d have to agree that combing or brushing with hard enough bristles to penetrate the scalp works wonders. I’d say that when I don’t do think is when I get scalp issues so it’s definitely worth doing. It’s like it sloughs off dead skin cells so your scalp can breath and helps with blood circulation which also helps greatly.

EdG
September 14th, 2020, 12:31 PM

I used a "fine-toothed" bamboo comb to really scritch my scalp after detangling my hair. It looks like I need to make this a regular part of my routine!Hi-five, ExpectoPatronum! :hifive:

I learned the hard way that lint and waxy sebum cannot be shampooed out. Thorough combing all the way down to scritching the scalp is the only way to remove them.
Ed

MusicalSpoons
September 14th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Water only would make my scalp far worse. This ginger shampoo is very gentle and did the trick. I conditioned the length and washed my scalp twice. My hair is super clean but really soft, shiny and fluffy. I wasn’t expecting to love this shampoo so much but it’s great. I’m not fond of the serum though and will skip that part next time. I love the fresh ginger scent. It goes nicely with my coconut / lime scent I wear.

The ingredients in this sound like something my scalp would really like, except for the SLES. May I ask what you were using before, and whether your scalp really disliked certain things or not? (I can't remember if you've already mentioned, sorry.)

hairconvictions
September 14th, 2020, 09:56 PM
Thank you for starting this thread. I have a dry scalp that flakes like crazy after 5-6 days. It itches so bad that sometimes it ends up bleeding by the time I get in the shower because I just can't stop scratching. How do I know if this is dandruff or just some other scalp issue/ washing issue?

florenonite
September 15th, 2020, 05:20 AM
Thank you for starting this thread. I have a dry scalp that flakes like crazy after 5-6 days. It itches so bad that sometimes it ends up bleeding by the time I get in the shower because I just can't stop scratching. How do I know if this is dandruff or just some other scalp issue/ washing issue?

The best way to know for sure is to see a dermatologist.

Other than that, when you say it flakes after 5-6 days, does that mean it's fine for the first few days or that it gets progressively worse? If so, you might just need to wash your scalp more often.

NicoleLionne
September 15th, 2020, 06:01 AM

I can't add much to what florenonite said ;).

I have noticed that three days is the most that I can go between washes. After that, my scalp becomes unbearably itchy and flakey. When it's very hot and humid, three days is already too much and I need to wash after two. My dermatologist told me that my scalp produces a very waxy sebum (and quite a lot of it). In combination with my low-medium porosity hair, that means that it quickly builds up and causes irritation. My skin is very sensitive in general, so I really need to take good care of it and make sure my scalp can breath and doesn't get clogged. If it's possible to see a dermatologist, I would highly recommend doing so.

hennalonghair
September 15th, 2020, 07:29 AM
The ingredients in this sound like something my scalp would really like, except for the SLES. May I ask what you were using before, and whether your scalp really disliked certain things or not? (I can't remember if you've already mentioned, sorry.)

Certainly yes. A good question. Most products I use on my skin and hair are all natural. Being a retired holistic nutritionist, I gravitate towards holistic products and routines. My last shampoos were ANDALOU Exotic Marula Oil Shampoo & Conditioner - for waves and ringlets, Biotene H-24 with conditioner , Love Beauty & Planet - Purposeful Hydration. Occasionally I use Aveda Be Curly or Quidad products since I have dry curly hair which needs extra hydration.

What things can’t I use or do with my hair due to this condition.

I can’t use conditioners or silicones on my scalp. My scalp does NOT like it but I can however use antibacterial / anti fungal oils like castor oil or coconut oil. Silicones suffocate my scalp.

I can’t wear my hair up everyday. My scalp needs AIR so has to breathe. My go to hair styles are usually braids worn down so my hair can swing. My roots seem to prefer movement as opposed to being stagnant.

Hair sprays or settling lotions and most of those EXTRAS aren’t for me. My routine is fairly simple.
Wash & condition my hair- keep it down for the day to dry and braid.

The thing that sets me back most has to be the lack of combing or brushing. My scalp needs daily sloughing off dead skin cells and excess sebum or my pores get suffocated and start building up bacteria and fungus which then causes an irritable scalp condition.

hennalonghair
September 15th, 2020, 07:48 AM
My pleasure. Please remember that there are other GREAT threads about this. Lapushka has some of the same hair and scalp issues I have but her approach is more of a conventional one which might be more suited to you. There are links on page one of this thread.

Paying a dermatologist a visit is a good idea. What you and Nicole describe is exactly how my hair is. My hair is fine until after a certain amount of days, temperature being a huge influence. Like Nicole I have excess sebum which is why I HAVE to BRUSH or comb. I can’t do that finger combing curly girl stuff. That just doesn’t fly with my scalp. The very idea of not having a brush or comb sends me into a frenzy. LOL! :lol:

There are many home remedies that work well for ME like: Note: these might not work for you the same.

Dabbing original listerine on scalp
Washing scalp with diluted borax
Adding a few drops of peppermint and / or tea tree oil into my shampoo and letting it sit on my scalp several minutes before rinsing
Dabbing Apple cider vinegar on scalp and using as a hair rinse after every shampoo
Epsom salt baths. Soaking hair and massaging scalp in the salty water.

Bat
September 15th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Tied oiling in a different way
I used Castor and a little bit of rosehip as the carrier oil, then added a few drops of Peppermint, Rosemary and Lemongrass essential oils Plus Olaplex 3 and Aloe hairfood mask in a mug and nuked it for 30 seconds, it turned Into a runny liquid it was so easy to put in my hair soaked in pretty good.
I then cling wrapped my head and at in the sun for 15 minutes, I've washed it out now and I'm air-drying in the sun atm

hennalonghair
September 15th, 2020, 07:27 PM
Tied oiling in a different way
I used Castor and a little bit of rosehip as the carrier oil, then added a few drops of Peppermint, Rosemary and Lemongrass essential oils Plus Olaplex 3 and Aloe hairfood mask in a mug and nuked it for 30 seconds, it turned Into a runny liquid it was so easy to put in my hair soaked in pretty good.
I then cling wrapped my head and at in the sun for 15 minutes, I've washed it out now and I'm air-drying in the sun atm

This sounds very interesting. Please let us know how it turns out.

NicoleLionne
September 16th, 2020, 12:07 AM
My pleasure. Please remember that there are other GREAT threads about this. Lapushka has some of the same hair and scalp issues I have but her approach is more of a conventional one which might be more suited to you. There are links on page one of this thread.

Paying a dermatologist a visit is a good idea. What you and Nicole describe is exactly how my hair is. My hair is fine until after a certain amount of days, temperature being a huge influence. Like Nicole I have excess sebum which is why I HAVE to BRUSH or comb. I can’t do that finger combing curly girl stuff. That just doesn’t fly with my scalp. The very idea of not having a brush or comb sends me into a frenzy. LOL! :lol:

There are many home remedies that work well for ME like: Note: these might not work for you the same.

Dabbing original listerine on scalp
Washing scalp with diluted borax
Adding a few drops of peppermint and / or tea tree oil into my shampoo and letting it sit on my scalp several minutes before rinsing
Dabbing Apple cider vinegar on scalp and using as a hair rinse after every shampoo
Epsom salt baths. Soaking hair and massaging scalp in the salty water.

Haha, I can't live without a brush or comb either! My scalp would become unbearable

ACV rinses work great for me as well. I really notice the difference on my scalp when I haven't been using them. But I have never tried dabbing it on my scalp before, that sounds very interesting!

I have used peppermint oil like Bat in a carrier oil (avocado - so far the only oil my hair and scalp like and tolerate). A few drops seem to make it easier to rinse out my excess sebum. Perhaps because it loosens it up a little. I was terrified of putting oils on my scalp, but this one seems to be okay so far. More testing is required for any definite statements though :p. I have never thought of putting it in my shampoo, that's a great idea!

This morning I tried Kevin Murphy's maxi.wash for the first time. It contains (fruit) AHA to exfoliate, which has done wonders for the skin on my face. My scalp and my face seem to be very similar in what they like and don't like. My scalp has been acting up lately, probably due to all the weird temperature and humidity changes we had. My hair is still drying, but so far no itchiness. I will let you know what happens in the next couple of days.

September 30th, 2020, 04:47 PM

Oh my gosh, this sounds so yummy, lol

Amy-Lee
October 1st, 2020, 03:15 AM
Usually when I start to have dandruff or an itchy scalp, all I do is shampoo and condition with Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Moisturizing Strawberries & Cream. My dandruff disappears and the itching stops immediately. It's the cheapest shampoo and conditioner, but it gets the job done.

aerolith
October 3rd, 2020, 12:52 PM
I actually had to cut ALL my growth off to get a fungal dandruff buildup out of my scalp. This has happened to me in the past and cutting my hair, in my experience, is literally the only way to get it out. I would have waited, but this time it was probably the worst it had ever been. I don't really know how to describe my dandruff, but it's not "normal" in the sense that it's not falling out of my hair, but it's like a thick layer that builds up over time (seborrheic). I've always had allergies and extremely sensitive eczema-prone skin, so I'm assuming it's connected to that. Anyway... There was NO way I was getting this out, and I was actually losing large clumps of hair from the root because of how damaged my scalp was. I guess I could have gone to a doctor, but idk. I just wanted it GONE.

I switch back and forth from feeling sad about it to just accepting it. I had basically just grown my hair out from a pixie, and I know it took around 2 years, which is relatively fast. If I want to grow it back, all I have to do is wait, lol. I also like my hair when it's super short. Mainly, I'd like to try and figure out how to treat my scalp well to prevent any further infections or scalp buildups if I decide to grow it all out a second time. Coal tar shampoo works wonderfully for me, so I'm probably going to strictly stick to that and VERY light conditioning to try and avoid any buildup whatsoever.