PDA

View Full Version : Dyed hair always goes orange?!

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Hi
i am wondering if anyone else has this problem.
it seems that no matter what colour I dye my hair, no matter if it is permanent or semi permanent, it always fades to orange. When I try to grow it out and been to professional hairdresser and asked them to match to my own natural ash brown colour, within a week it has faded and orangey tones come through. I’ve tried going lighter to see if I can bleach it out - still no good.
professional hairdresser says that it’s a build up of dye and I can’t do anything other than grow it out. I find that odd because I’m not one for dying my hair very often. I just want my hair to be a similar colour so it’s not as obvious growing out. But it seems it’s not meant to be.
I’m now thinking it’d be nice to have different colours but I darent colour it because I know it will be orange in a matter of days/weeks!
has anyone even heard of this before or have I just got really weird hair?!
ps - I have tried purple shampoo and blue shampoo in the past - doesn’t have any effect. It’s like my hair is hennaed although I cut the henna off years ago.

Lady Stardust
September 7th, 2020, 08:11 AM
My hair used to do that when I used box dye. I haven’t used any for over 20 years for that reason. I switched to henna, because it’s the only red that doesn’t fade away (and also because I decided not to use anything containing bleach anymore).

Someone might be able to give you some advice about using deposit dyes to cover the colour while it’s growing out.

TechnoAngel
September 7th, 2020, 08:11 AM
Have you tried using a color foam? You can use that more often than real hairdye.

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 08:47 AM
My hair used to do that when I used box dye. I haven’t used any for over 20 years for that reason. I switched to henna, because it’s the only red that doesn’t fade away (and also because I decided not to use anything containing bleach anymore).

Someone might be able to give you some advice about using deposit dyes to cover the colour while it’s growing out.

I grew the henna out because it didn’t suit me. My hair never used to be orange. No idea why it’s decided to do it now. Probably doesn’t help that no box dyes are ashy enough for me, they are alll warm colours no matter what it says on the box!

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 08:49 AM
Have you tried using a color foam? You can use that more often than real hairdye.

Colour foam? Oh I’d not heard of that. I’ll have a look. Depends what colours they have available. It has been my experience that all colours, even ‘cool’ colours are usually warm in reality. Worth checking out though so thanks ��

Lady Stardust
September 7th, 2020, 08:54 AM
I grew the henna out because it didn’t suit me. My hair never used to be orange. No idea why it’s decided to do it now. Probably doesn’t help that no box dyes are ashy enough for me, they are alll warm colours no matter what it says on the box!

Yes I’ve seen other people complain about that. Box dyes seem to be tailored to warm tones.

Obsidian
September 7th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Thats why you go to a beauty supply store like sallys. You can pick and mix individual colors.

Aerya
September 7th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Yeah. Even ashy ones. I dyed my hair to match my natural colour and it turned out quite ashy for a box dye, but then it faded to a way more brassy tone that makes my roots look straight up grey in comparison. Oh well.

I've always had that happen with dye, even if I use salon colours. It turns brassy and warm and looks terrible regardless of what I do. That's part of the reason why I'm giving up on dye. At least my virgin hair doesn't flare orange in the sunlight.

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 10:03 AM
Yeah. Even ashy ones. I dyed my hair to match my natural colour and it turned out quite ashy for a box dye, but then it faded to a way more brassy tone that makes my roots look straight up grey in comparison. Oh well.

I've always had that happen with dye, even if I use salon colours. It turns brassy and warm and looks terrible regardless of what I do. That's part of the reason why I'm giving up on dye. At least my virgin hair doesn't flare orange in the sunlight.

Yep! That’s sounds just like me. Maybe I should leave it to grow out. Problem is it’s at waist and it has 6 months virgin growth. This is going to be a loonnng journey :(

TechnoAngel
September 7th, 2020, 01:04 PM
Colour foam? Oh I’d not heard of that. I’ll have a look. Depends what colours they have available. It has been my experience that all colours, even ‘cool’ colours are usually warm in reality. Worth checking out though so thanks ��

I mean the tinted foam/mousse. The one that is not permanent. I'm sorry, english is not my first language.

jane_marie
September 7th, 2020, 01:25 PM
If your hair is very fairly dark and you are using demis and permanent hair it actually makes a lot of sense that it would pull brassy for you. The issue is that demi and permanent dye both use a delveloper to damage the hair a bit which gives the dye a bit more to hang onto. Since dark hair goes orange when it's bleached I suspect what is happening on you is that the developer is leaving the color of the hair under your dye brassy and as the dye wears off that brassiness shows through more.

Obsidian
September 7th, 2020, 02:00 PM
I agree with this, as the dye fades its the lightened hair underneath you are seeing.
You might be able to use a purple shampoo or temporary dye to tone the brassy out. I wouldn't use a regular toner since they use developer.

Some hair just doesn't hold dye well. No matter what kind of dye I've used, its gone within 2 weeks.
I managed to get the absolute perfect ashy blonde, matched my roots nearly perfect. Poof, gone in just a few washes.

Bri-Chan
September 7th, 2020, 02:09 PM
I tried to keep the color less orange as possible for the first months, then I gave up.

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 02:16 PM
If your hair is very fairly dark and you are using demis and permanent hair it actually makes a lot of sense that it would pull brassy for you. The issue is that demi and permanent dye both use a delveloper to damage the hair a bit which gives the dye a bit more to hang onto. Since dark hair goes orange when it's bleached I suspect what is happening on you is that the developer is leaving the color of the hair under your dye brassy and as the dye wears off that brassiness shows through more.

My hair isn’t that dark, I’d say it’s mousey/med ash brown, although I get what you’re saying. So no matter what colour I dyed my hair, underneath it my hair has been ‘lifted’ to an orange colour that then becomes visible when the dye has faded. Still not sure why it does that now, I never had the problem until about 10yrs ago.

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 02:17 PM
I agree with this, as the dye fades its the lightened hair underneath you are seeing.
You might be able to use a purple shampoo or temporary dye to tone the brassy out. I wouldn't use a regular toner since they use developer.

Some hair just doesn't hold dye well. No matter what kind of dye I've used, its gone within 2 weeks.
I managed to get the absolute perfect ashy blonde, matched my roots nearly perfect. Poof, gone in just a few washes.

I’ve tried toning the brassy out but it doesn’t do anything. Have tried blue toning shampoo, purple toning shampoo, even manic panic but still made no difference.

Flossiebell
September 7th, 2020, 02:18 PM
I tried to keep the color less orange as possible for the first months, then I gave up.

Yes I’m thinking that updos are the way forward! Lol

lapushka
September 7th, 2020, 02:33 PM
Trying to match your hair to your roots is a lost cause. It's better if you want your own color or a close match to just let it grow out. And I agree, don't use the box dyes, they *are* taylored to warmer tones. If you want an ash tone get a separate tube of dye and separate developer from the beauty supply store.

But if you are trying to match your roots... just don't it is a street with no end!

ynne
September 7th, 2020, 07:23 PM
Could a permanent darker dye cover it up better..? (As a reverse-ombre of sorts?) I'm not sure what colors you were aiming for before, but I've heard of some dark dyes that are really hard to wash out. I don't have any specific suggestions, though.

But I find it hard to imagine that a strong toning shampoo or a temporary dye didn't do anything on already damaged, porous hair... if anything, I'd imagine it'd turn into some washed-out inbetween color, but for it to do no staining at all, that is strange. Is it possible you used too weak mixes, or too light purple/blue dye? :0 I personally had to use dark purple which was then dilluted a lot, because medium to light dyes just didn't have enough pigment to show up, even when my hair was significantly bleached.

geenie
September 8th, 2020, 03:27 AM
You need to use a toner.