PDA

View Full Version : Styles Over 40

cm006j
September 1st, 2020, 05:16 PM
As I’m approaching 40, the age at which I’ve often heard I have to cut my hair (it’s too “youthful”) I wanted to write a blog post about long hair styles for women over forty. But I find myself at a loss because I don’t plan to change anything I’m doing!

Are there any of our updos that would be particularly good for mature women?

Strands
September 1st, 2020, 05:25 PM
Ya know I can't speak too much on this however my husband recently purchased me some ficcare clips. Both maximus and claw. He bought them because I am approaching 30 in a yearish, and figures I should be using nicer and more socially acceptable forms to hold my buns up. Mind you, I am a homebody and wear my sticks and forks to God's end in my house.

BUT - I can see how maybe he would feel a ficcare in general would look more mature? Does this help you? :)

tinymoon
September 1st, 2020, 05:26 PM
Well, I'm in my thirties, so I can't speak to being in the *exact* demographic you're looking to write for, but personally I'd just love to see your favorite styles! I think one of the most empowering style-related things for women can be recognizing that gatekeeping certain styles (hair, clothes, etc.) to certain age demographics is a thing of the past. I'd love to embrace trying all sorts of hair styles and ideas for my long hair, no matter my age. :)

So maybe something mold-breaking, like how braids can be seen as a more juvenile hairstyle by a good portion of folks, but can actually be great for people at any age. That's probably the tack I'd be most interested in--traditionally "young" styles that are actually super flattering and versatile for women of any age.

Kathie
September 1st, 2020, 06:20 PM
I'm 6 months from 40 and will continue wearing my hair how ever I like. My go to style is a half up with 2 side ponies held with claw clips. So essentially pigtails... What ever suits my style and face-shape is appropriate for me.

I feel comfortable in my skin (thank you age!), and if someone tells me that my hair or anything else is not age appropriate, I know they are trying to project their beliefs and insecurities onto me, its something I dont have to take in.

Ashtaroth
September 1st, 2020, 07:43 PM
I took up circus training at age 42 so it is quite possible that my view of what is appropriate may be faulty....
Now at age 48 and still wearing pigtails, space buns, and whatever other hairstyle I feel like that day. I loathe the idea that anyone should stop doing something they want just because of age. There are more than enough other reasons we are limited in this world.

Ashtaroth
September 1st, 2020, 07:48 PM
But above comments aside, my day job is in a conservative field where I need to look professional with my hair back for safety reasons. For that my go to styles are buns or braided buns, sometimes with the sides rolled and pinned (like the Benadette Banner tutorial).

MadelineMomo
September 1st, 2020, 07:52 PM
Where I used to live, there was this old woman (probably in her 70s?) who I'd sometimes see at the grocery store. She has a knee-length ponytail. She had a kinda spindly and frail build, and she wore a lot of sundresses. She looked for all the world like a fairy. I want to be her someday.

Jane99
September 1st, 2020, 08:28 PM
The fairy lady at the grocery store reminds me of a dear former coworker of mine... she’s in her mid 60’s and has long (hip length?) white hair. Usually wears some sort of colorful skirt. A wonderful woman. Her hair is almost always in a ponytail.
edit: She got so mad at me when I cut back to shoulder length a few years ago, impulsively, for no real reason. I get it now!!

Iyashikei
September 1st, 2020, 09:26 PM
You should wear your hair the way you want. If it's traditionally "young" styles then so be it. I know it's unconvincing hearing that from me and my 27 winters but it's the way I've always thought. Just see if breaking the mold has any nice results on you and use that for your blog. Remember, your look should be something *you* feel good in.

Dragon
September 1st, 2020, 10:23 PM
I know two ladies over 70 with long hair. One has about hip and the others has about BSL. They always wear it in some type of neat bun. The other person I know would be 50s or close to it and always wears a braid that goes about half way down her back and her sister who I’ve never meet but looks like she would be about 40s also wears a braid down her back.

cjk
September 1st, 2020, 10:36 PM
I find that the older I get, the less I care what others deem appropriate.

But I'm in my upper forties, about a decade older than you.

The key is to make sure that your hair looks groomed and intentional. Beyond that, it's personal styling.

Present yourself however you feel comfortable.

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2020, 12:52 AM
I live south of Tampa Bay in FL, and there are some things I've noticed:

Former professional women, who kept their hair short when they worked, can't wait to let it grow and have long hair for the first time since their teen years. They are amazed by how little the upkeep is with their longer hair, compared with their former work styles--less trimming, less product, less time to style, etc.

There are long-term Southern ladies (either by choice or born/bred) that have really long hair. For example, one of my customers has hair just past CL and wears it down almost exclusively. I have a few older friends who have hair HL or longer; some wear it down, some bun, some braid, some wear half-ups.

I also have friends that let their hair grow in winter (it DOES get cold here--not as bad as Up Nawth (North), but, for us, it's downright frigid) and cut it shorter for summer.

One weird phenomena I've noticed regarding some of those who retired here from Up Nawth: the ladies' hair gets shorter, and I mean shorter than a pixie :shocked: , while the men's hair gets longer and pulled into ponytails! Go figure :confused:

TLDR: Whatever floats your boat works just fine--just be yourself and do wear your hair in whatever way makes you comfortable :popcorn:

Lucy McLucyFace
September 2nd, 2020, 01:07 AM
I've found that the character Carmella from the show the Sopranos wears a lot of sophisticated updos even at shorter lengths. One she wears often is the French twist and I think it's a fine choice both for practicality and elegance

mermaid lullaby
September 2nd, 2020, 01:59 AM
Um...I cant say I'm 40 myself but I do have to look professional for my workplace. I tend to do french braid most of the time but, I like crowd half up hairstyle, or a fishtail braid. I like hairstyles that are fast to do.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 2nd, 2020, 02:15 AM
I do think the French Twist is a very polished and elegant look. I wear that, and enjoy it, along with buns, braids and log rolls.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2020, 03:32 AM
For any long hair? Just updos & buns, is about all you can go with, IMO. And there's plenty of links to hairstyles on this forum. Age has nothing to do with it, IMO. ;)

cm006j
September 2nd, 2020, 05:36 AM
These are all great comments!!!! Thank you all so much

Ashtaroth
September 2nd, 2020, 06:32 AM
These are all great comments!!!! Thank you all so much

Can you post a link when the blog post goes up? Would love to read it!

AmaryllisRed
September 2nd, 2020, 08:19 AM
I'm 39. I don't plan to change my styles once I turn 40. :)
But my styles are much more determined by the length of my hair. At some point, when I'm past 40, I'll cut back to a shorter length and do more elaborate braids. I've mostly quit because it's just too time consuming at this length.

Cg
September 2nd, 2020, 09:38 AM
For any long hair? Just updos & buns, is about all you can go with, IMO. And there's plenty of links to hairstyles on this forum. Age has nothing to do with it, IMO. ;)

This.

characters for the browser

bparnell75
September 2nd, 2020, 03:15 PM
But above comments aside, my day job is in a conservative field where I need to look professional with my hair back for safety reasons. For that my go to styles are buns or braided buns, sometimes with the sides rolled and pinned (like the Benadette Banner tutorial).

I think that softening the hair around the face like the Bernadette Bannerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eobsHXCfys is a style that can compliment any face ans softens the effects of a straight back bun.

Robot Ninja
September 2nd, 2020, 03:22 PM

Bold of you to assume that women over 40 are mature. I am 42 and sometimes very immature, thank you very much.

My hair is also purple and blue so no matter how I wear it I doubt it'll be "age-appropriate" in the eyes of people who care about those kinds of things.

neko_kawaii
September 2nd, 2020, 03:28 PM
Bold of you to assume that women over 40 are mature. I am 42 and sometimes very immature, thank you very much.

My hair is also purple and blue so no matter how I wear it I doubt it'll be "age-appropriate" in the eyes of people who care about those kinds of things.

This thread makes me want to put bows in my hair.

BexLocks
September 2nd, 2020, 05:58 PM
I've never been "age-appropriate" in most of what I do. When I was young, I liked to do things that were "too old" for me, like knitting and crochet. (Gasp!) Now that I am solidly past 40, I agree with cjk that I care less and less about what other people think I should do and just try to do things to make myself happy. One thing that I have learned (now that I am old, though not yet gray!) is that no one else is going to make me happy - it's up to me. I'm going to buy that silly coffee mug, use it unashamedly at work, and wear my nearly hip-length hair however I want. Even with bows if I feel like it, neko_kawaii!

cm006j - In thinking about your blog post (which I would love to read), I wonder if the baby boomer generation in the US has had an impact on what is considered "age-appropriate" in terms of hairstyles. There are plenty of women who are continuing to rock hair longer than shoulder length well into their 60's, which goes against my (mis?)conception of "mature" styles as being super short cuts styled fairly close to the scalp. I suppose this goes with the 1960's hippy ethos of "young and free, I do what I want." And then there's the recent trend of young people getting their hair dyed gray. How does that change what "mature" hair looks like? It's also important to remember that "age-appropriate" hairstyles also vary culturally - not every culture thinks that you should cut your hair just because you got to a certain age. And as for what would be considered "professional?" I heard a recent quote from an Emory University professor, Dr. Kaela Singleton - "Your identity is not unprofessional." Now those are Words to Live By, and something to think about before criticizing or judging another person for how they choose to be.

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2020, 08:21 PM

Since I went back to work a couple of years ago, my hair has been almost every color from orange to deep blue (nothing yellow or black). FWIW, I'm 63 and, from my customers' reactions, it brings them much joy and surprise--they're never sure what color I'll be wearing the next month :p

Iyashikei
September 2nd, 2020, 09:26 PM
I just remember seeing a woman in her late 70's/ early 80's with pink hair once. Back then I thought it was weird but awesome at the same time.

This thread makes me want to put bows in my hair.

Do it!

baanoo
September 3rd, 2020, 03:35 AM
Once when I was a teenager I asked my mom if she was going to wear her hair short and curly like my grandmothers when she was old and she looked at me, rather askance, and said, “you do realize that old ladies tend to wear their hair in the way they did when they were younger just because that’s how they like to wear it, right? I don’t wear my hair that way, it’s a vintage style.”

And I thought, oh. Huh, good point. At 37 I am still immature myself, but I am striding forward in the full confidence of a future eccentric old lady.

florenonite
September 3rd, 2020, 05:35 AM
Once when I was a teenager I asked my mom if she was going to wear her hair short and curly like my grandmothers when she was old and she looked at me, rather askance, and said, “you do realize that old ladies tend to wear their hair in the way they did when they were younger just because that’s how they like to wear it, right? I don’t wear my hair that way, it’s a vintage style.”

And I thought, oh. Huh, good point. At 37 I am still immature myself, but I am striding forward in the full confidence of a future eccentric old lady.

Yup. In the 50s and 60s it was fashionable for younger women to cut their hair short. I'm sure they thought long hair in a bun or plait was a hopelessly old-lady style because that was how THEIR grandmothers wore their hair.

sapphire-o
September 3rd, 2020, 07:09 AM
I read an article lately about older women (over 40) and hair. And curiously I kinda agree with it. It's mostly because of aging tend to make hair thinner, and more gray of course. It's a sad truth about life. Most people who don't start out with very thick hair will lose volume with aging. Cutting it shorter is a way to cover up the thinness. Of course coloring the hair damage the hair's quality, so it can't grow as long. If your hair is not too thin and you keep it in good condition, you don't have to cut it short at all. I don't think you (OP) have anything to worry about. :) Of course this is assuming you need to live up to typical hair expectations. I know plenty of people who don't color their hair or change their hairstyle as they get older. :)

I'm 48 now and starting to get a few gray hairs. My hair's quality is about the same as before. I guess I'll hold out a few more years and see how I like it then.

Ashtaroth
September 3rd, 2020, 09:58 AM
Agreeing with sapphire-o that thinning is probably a big reason for shorter hair on older women. Curling as well may be to add volume.

I have no plans to cut my hair, but it has always been thick and if my parents are indicators then it is likely to stay that way. My 75 year old father has a full head of hair. I spotted an older woman with armpit length full gray straight hair on the bus last year and set that as my ideal potential older style.

Cg
September 3rd, 2020, 12:28 PM
I read an article lately about older women (over 40) and hair. And curiously I kinda agree with it. It's mostly because of aging tend to make hair thinner, and more gray of course. It's a sad truth about life. Most people who don't start out with very thick hair will lose volume with aging. Cutting it shorter is a way to cover up the thinness. Of course coloring the hair damage the hair's quality, so it can't grow as long. If your hair is not too thin and you keep it in good condition, you don't have to cut it short at all. I don't think you (OP) have anything to worry about. :) Of course this is assuming you need to live up to typical hair expectations. I know plenty of people who don't color their hair or change their hairstyle as they get older. :)

I'm 48 now and starting to get a few gray hairs. My hair's quality is about the same as before. I guess I'll hold out a few more years and see how I like it then.

In my experience, cutting thin hair just looks like shorter thin hair. We may cheerfully delude ourselves, but others are not fooled.

Women of my generation wear their hair short because it's the accepted norm. Many never wore long hair as adults so they don't know how much easier long is.

Robot Ninja
September 3rd, 2020, 03:03 PM
Women of my generation wear their hair short because it's the accepted norm. Many never wore long hair as adults so they don't know how much easier long is.

Or it isn't easier for them. When we say "long hair is easier" we mean "throwing your hair into a bun with a stick is easier than styling it every day and I never have to go to the hairdresser." Wash-and-go haircuts exist for a reason, and some people enjoy going to the hairdresser. And for some older women, who might not be comfortable shopping online, they can't get the forks and sticks you need to make a bun in 30 seconds, so they'd have to fiddle around with a bunch of hairpins.

Jo Ann
September 3rd, 2020, 11:09 PM
...At 37 I am still immature myself, but I am striding forward in the full confidence of a future eccentric old lady.

Eccentric Old Ladies ROCK!! https://media.tenor.com/images/305a7117847c3b49c6c738eaa17ea890/tenor.gif

florenonite
September 4th, 2020, 05:52 AM
Or it isn't easier for them. When we say "long hair is easier" we mean "throwing your hair into a bun with a stick is easier than styling it every day and I never have to go to the hairdresser." Wash-and-go haircuts exist for a reason, and some people enjoy going to the hairdresser. And for some older women, who might not be comfortable shopping online, they can't get the forks and sticks you need to make a bun in 30 seconds, so they'd have to fiddle around with a bunch of hairpins.

Yep. And if you've had a wash-and-go short style for 40 years then it probably IS easier than growing it out and learning to deal with longer hair. Plus women of my grandparents' generation often don't wash their own hair at all; they go to the salon once a week and get it washed and set and then it's completely hands-off the rest of the week. For someone who likes to go to the salon, or who is losing mobility and strength in their arms and shoulders, that likely is easier than having to comb and bun your own hair.

eresh
September 4th, 2020, 06:57 AM
I'm 45 since 2 days :D

I don't think I would wear 2 pigtails anymore, I would'n't feel comfortable wearing those, but double buns, yes, why not.
In my village is a woman with the most beautiful greysilver hair, she wears 2 braids often :)

So, it all comes down to, what do you feel okay with to wear.

Most women over 40 here wear their hair "short and spicy" and coloured.
I think it also has to do because it is maybe more practical with little kids?
Not just the age thing?

eresh
September 4th, 2020, 07:02 AM
I think that softening the hair around the face like the Bernadette Bannerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eobsHXCfys is a style that can compliment any face ans softens the effects of a straight back bun.

I love this video, thank you for posting it :)
Going to try that tomorrow, because I am always a bit bothered by how flat my hair is when bunnen and my high forehead.
She also presents the video in a really fun way :)

baanoo
September 4th, 2020, 12:17 PM
Eccentric Old Ladies ROCK!! https://media.tenor.com/images/305a7117847c3b49c6c738eaa17ea890/tenor.gif

Yessss! I’m well on my way. ;)

meepster
September 4th, 2020, 01:15 PM
I'm 44 and I am just growing out my hair. I think updos of some sort - buns or French twists or whatever - look perfectly mature and dignified at any age, and I intend to attempt those styles as soon as I've got enough length to do it with. Right now, all I can manage is a silly-looking ponytail stub.

harpgal
September 4th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Where I used to live, there was this old woman (probably in her 70s?) who I'd sometimes see at the grocery store. She has a knee-length ponytail. She had a kinda spindly and frail build, and she wore a lot of sundresses. She looked for all the world like a fairy. I want to be her someday.

I absolutely adore this!

I am in my 70s and wear a braid wrapped around my head or simply a bun (a braid wrapped around a hair stick). What is really cool are the streaks of white that are getting wider and wider. I wear shorts and flip flops most of the time so I probably don't look like a fairy, however the thought is delicious!

ynne
September 4th, 2020, 04:50 PM
I think this is a good point. As far as convenient hairstyles go, I feel like – for me, with my hairtype – nothing truly beats hair in the buzzcut-to-a-bob category. It may be harder to hide a bad hair day, but washing it is so fast, it doesn't have to be a problem often. So extra length doesn't necessarily have to be easier from all perspectives. For me, it means more styling, longer washing, and limited wash-and-go options. For different hairtypes, it means more combing. Still extra work!

I'm 45 since 2 days :D
I don't think I would wear 2 pigtails anymore, I would'n't feel comfortable wearing those, but double buns, yes, why not. (...)
Late happy birthday!
I was told pigtails weren't appropriate anymore when I was in my late teens, I wouldn't wear those either, there are too many associations I'd want to avoid. But I think it's great when others do because they want to, of course. :)

cm006j
September 5th, 2020, 01:16 PM
Here is what I ended up coming up with! https://link.medium.com/iK1UV (https://link.medium.com/iK1UVcTyx9)cTyx9

BexLocks
September 5th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Great blog post! The styles you chose are very elegant. Thank you for sharing!

oldrocker
September 6th, 2020, 02:22 AM
As I’m approaching 40, the age at which I’ve often heard I have to cut my hair (it’s too “youthful”) I wanted to write a blog post about long hair styles for women over forty. But I find myself at a loss because I don’t plan to change anything I’m doing!

well geeze....if you are almost 40, who is that 20 something person in your sig picture???? (tee hee)

O.R.

sipnsun
September 7th, 2020, 05:26 AM
The only reason I have changed my hair style in my mid-forties is because it has gotten too long for some of the previous styles that worked for me. For instance, I used to do messy buns now I do lazy wrap buns instead. I still love braids and have learned to do a 2 strand rope braid to change it up a little. Honestly age has nothing to do with the styles I choose, hair length and what will stay up without damage are my deciding factors. :p I enjoy your video tutorials and have learned a lot from them!

meepster
September 7th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Here is what I ended up coming up with! https://link.medium.com/iK1UV (https://link.medium.com/iK1UVcTyx9)cTyx9

Oooh, I can't wait to have enough hair to try all of these! So pretty.

Ashtaroth
September 7th, 2020, 04:41 PM

Love it! I have every intention of wearing pigtails if I am fortunate enough to see my 80s.

GoatLady
October 17th, 2022, 09:31 PM
I'm 63 and growing my hair as long as I can get it. I'll wear it down, in a bun, or in a braid. Whatever style I feel like wearing that day.

bparnell75
October 18th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Well I am the oldest on this forum and have gone to the classical retro: Gibson girlish
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51878343374_9a77dd0775.jpg
I suppose I should add that get compliments almost every time I leave the house.

lapushka
October 18th, 2022, 02:25 PM
I just turned 50 and the Nautilus is my staple.

GoatLady
October 19th, 2022, 11:09 AM
Well I am the oldest on this forum and have gone to the classical retro: Gibson girlish
I suppose I should add that get compliments almost every time I leave the house.

Your hair looks absolutely beautiful.

GoatLady
October 19th, 2022, 11:10 AM
I just turned 50 and the Nautilus is my staple.

I have been wearing a nautilus bun all week. It's so easy to put up.

lapushka
October 19th, 2022, 11:27 AM
I have been wearing a nautilus bun all week. It's so easy to put up.

IKR! It took me until about classic (layered) for me to be able to do one. I wore a LWB (lazy wrap bun) all the time before that. Compared to that one a Nautilus is so easy!

tuanyiji
October 19th, 2022, 02:10 PM
IKR! It took me until about classic (layered) for me to be able to do one. I wore a LWB (lazy wrap bun) all the time before that. Compared to that one a Nautilus is so easy!

I had been wearing the nautilus bun from June to August because it can stand on its own without a stick, but once I mastered lwb in September it was unstoppable to experiment with new variations. I now wear lwb almost every day, and I think it’s easier than the nautilus, I love that I can skip the final pull over motion because my ring sometimes gets caught by the strand, something I try to avoid.

lapushka
October 19th, 2022, 03:55 PM
I had been wearing the nautilus bun from June to August because it can stand on its own without a stick, but once I mastered lwb in September it was unstoppable to experiment with new variations. I now wear lwb almost every day, and I think it’s easier than the nautilus, I love that I can skip the final pull over motion because my ring sometimes gets caught by the strand, something I try to avoid.

I did wear a LWB longer than now a Nautilus, but I don't see myself going back to the LWB anytime soon. Preference, I guess. ;)

Joyful Mystery
October 21st, 2022, 04:13 PM

So pretty! :crush:

lapushka
October 21st, 2022, 04:20 PM
So pretty! :crush:

I know, it's a very sweet updo, IMHO. I think it's her go-to? Or, not? I have seen it a couple times before, but of course that doesn't mean it's a go-to per sé. :)

GoatLady
October 21st, 2022, 10:22 PM
IKR! It took me until about classic (layered) for me to be able to do one.

I spoke too soon. For some reason my hair is now refusing to stay in a nautilus. I'm sure I just need more length. That and the Celti knot bun will have to wait until I get to WL, I think. I watched videos for the Nessa and Spock buns so I will be trying those. I get bored with the same old cinnabun, but at least that one stays put.

tuanyiji
October 22nd, 2022, 06:34 AM
I spoke too soon. For some reason my hair is now refusing to stay in a nautilus. I'm sure I just need more length. That and the Celti knot bun will have to wait until I get to WL, I think. I watched videos for the Nessa and Spock buns so I will be trying those. I get bored with the same old cinnabun, but at least that one stays put.

I was looking at the Helix bun and thought to myself, do I have enough length for that yet?

lapushka
October 22nd, 2022, 08:33 AM

In my own experience, yes, I needed a lot of length to master a Nautilus, I mean enough that it would stay put comfortably, without pulling, and the entire day.

squirrrel
October 28th, 2022, 03:14 AM
Interesting thread. I’m another will be 40 in a couple of months and when it comes to the little things like how I wear my hair, if there’s not a good reason for someone to dictate how I wear it (such as safety or hygiene) then I shall have it how I want it and let them think what they want. I’m looking forward to reading the blog post.

SandyBottom
October 31st, 2022, 07:34 PM
Interesting thread. I’m another will be 40 in a couple of months and when it comes to the little things like how I wear my hair, if there’s not a good reason for someone to dictate how I wear it (such as safety or hygiene) then I shall have it how I want it and let them think what they want. I’m looking forward to reading the blog post.

Well said. I'm well past 40 (55) and feel the same way.

Fiorentina
November 8th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone

Well, I must say I am in my midd 40`s and my favorite for ages is LWB.
So, and now I stopped coloring my hair, "grow out" calls my project.

WednesdayAddams
November 8th, 2022, 04:24 PM
I'm over 40. I love ponytails and I also wear beach waves. I create the waves with steam rollers (they only get warm, not hot). The waves stay for a few days.

I also wear a bun on top of my head occasionally, but almost all the time in the summer.