PDA

View Full Version : Can Shampoo Bars Damage hair?

Kirin
November 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
In the past, I've tried using shampoo bars with not good results. After a time of trying other methods, for the past two weeks I had returned to them. I use a natural bar hand crafted by a local soapmaker specifically for hair. After this two weeks, today being the day, I could no longer take it! (i did to rinses and the whole thing).

Since I started there was only one good day, the rest horrible, with gunky feeling tangly dry hair or the length was "greasy".... even with vinegar or citric acid rinses. My hair felt thicker using the bars, however that was pointless as it was quite frankly a rat's nest. Unable to stand the tangling and rough raspy ends (my hair was like silk prior) I washed my hair with regular clarifying shampoo twice to get rid of the gunkiness, and did a deep treatment (cholesterol, SMT's of any kind make my hair go banannas).

My hair .... well, at least it feels clean? The ends look fried, as if I'd bleached it, not used shampoo bars! Is this a temporary effect after washing away the poo bar build up? Will this tame down with more moisture over the next few days, or has it screwed up my hair?

BlndeInDisguise
November 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I haven't found that poo bars damage my hair. The only thing I can think of is that either your hair got damaged because of it being so tangled, or when you clarified, it made the damage really show up. The splits were "sealed down" by shampoo/conditioner/oil, etc.

Those are the only things that I could think of that might have been the problem.

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
There is the potential for damage, as soap is alkaline. Alkaline substances raise the cuticle. Of course the acid rinse (like ACV) is supposed to bring the cuticle down, and water raises the cuticle, too, so if you wash your hair, you can't get around it -- that cuticle is coming up. Still, the alkalinity might have been more drying than water alone would be.

Kirin
November 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I've carefully checked my ends, there are no splits at all, not one. They just feel frizzy and weird, almost in a fuzzy way. I am guessing perhaps, my cuticles are "up" after the poo bars maybe, and i can get them down with maybe some vinegar rinses and moisture?

GlassEyes
November 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I got that too. It's buildup from the bars, and it'll fade. I got it throughout my hair but it was worst with the ends.

What I noticed with the ars was that my hair would be crud the day of the washing, then I'd CO the next day and it'd be awesome...at least for a time. My profile picture was taken on one of those awesome, end-buildupy days. Then my hair went 'NUCLEAR MUSHROOM CLOUD' on me.

But that should be temporary.

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've carefully checked my ends, there are no splits at all, not one. They just feel frizzy and weird, almost in a fuzzy way. I am guessing perhaps, my cuticles are "up" after the poo bars maybe, and i can get them down with maybe some vinegar rinses and moisture?

It's worth a try. Some of my ends have a fuzzy appearance, like the cuticle is up and my hair is unraveling. Not good. Thank goodness it's only a few of them. I clipped the ones I could see a couple of days ago, then swore off S&D for awhile because I got carried away and could not stop for 1-1/2 hours.

healingsolitude
November 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I've never had this issue with the shampoo bars. It does sound like a buildup issue from what you say. Doing some more vinegar rinses could help with the problem. Or you could do a CO and start over again, only make sure to do a vinegar treatment everytime you use a shampoo bar in case that is the problem. Do you have very hard water by any chance? You've tried other shampoo bars with not good results so maybe this is more of a water issue? Have you tried using filtered or bottled water in your final rinse?

Also, I don't know if it would help or not, but perhaps you could list the ingredients in the bar or bars that you are using? Maybe someone here has gone through something similar and could pick out what ingredient caused the issue for them.

rymorg2
November 12th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I get that from buildup, AND I get that from ingredients in the bars that my hair doesn't like. Some ingredients my hair hates are castor oil and avacado oil. As long as my bars don't have those I'm safe.

Aditi
November 12th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Never have tried poo bars but now that majority here is saying that it doesn't damage the hair maybe i will give it a try.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Alkaline products can be harsh but I agree with the others about the ingredients being the main problem. It depends on what was in the bars.

It really does sound like a build-up issue.

Vinegar rinses can remove most soap residues but it cannot remove wax and other types of product build-up.

Try a shampoo for normal hair or a clarifying shampoo and that should work to remove the remaining build-up.

If you do not have split ends or breakage, you do not have damage from the bars and any damage you would have has been caused IMO, by mechanical stress in detangling.

lora410
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I got this the last time I used a shampoo bar. I used to use them all the time and then switched to something else. I realize now that my hair has changed and just. doesn't. like. them. I clarified condish and oiled. It takes a few days for the hair to return to normal so hand in there.

Nightshade
November 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM

Shea's good for smoothing the cuticle back down. While my hair hates straight shea, I do have luck with my own blend of shea, honey, etc. Perhaps fox's conditioning cream would be worth a shot?

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Camellia oil has been reported to be an excellent cuticle smoother too, especially the Japanese ones.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Here is the camellia oil thread.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=456

Kirin
November 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Since my hair last night felt like death on a garbanzo bean, I figured what the heck and saturated the goodness out of it with my carrot oil. I was pretty greasy and smelled like a herb factory, but braided it and went to bed. This morning when I showered I decided to CWC with my regular products and shampoo..... after conditioning I could feel a "sludge" come off my hair. I washed then conditioned again and it seems all good.

I am guessing as many of you said that weird fuzzy feeling was build up. My ends are now marvelous. I don't think I will revisit shampoo bars again.

I honestly couldn't tell you what exact ingredients were in the few bars I have used, but I'd venture to guess an ingredient in them is the culprit. Still, with the tangles and hair fall using them, I think I'll avoid it.

For those who asked, I have soft water here in Connecticut. My husband and DD14 have no problem using the bars, their hair feels great. I just have to console myself with the fact that my hair (as per usual) just doesn't get along with a lot of things.

Euphony
November 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Many times I've noticed hair soap is superfatted at too high of a percentage. For some reason many soapers feel that the hair soap needs to have that extra oil in there. They do need extra oils, but not as much as what is added. It could be a superfatting problem, it could be an ingredient problem or likely a combination of the two.

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I'm so glad my hair likes 'poo bars, I think they are so fun! :D

Dolly
November 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm so glad my hair likes 'poo bars, I think they are so fun! :D

Mine too! I have 4 CV bars that I now rotate, and I love them all......so does my hair!

MandaMom2Three
November 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
It's addicting though! I can't go to a health food store now without looking through their soap selection :D and I have a long list of CV and PLH bars I want to but and...and...and....I think I need to join poo-bars-anonymous :D

Dolly
November 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
It's addicting though! I can't go to a health food store now without looking through their soap selection :D and I have a long list of CV and PLH bars I want to but and...and...and....I think I need to join poo-bars-anonymous :D

Oh, I know.....I am TOTALLY hooked!

Kirin
November 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
it stinks because i love the idea of soap bars for hair...... it really really appealed to me but its too much work! That and any risk to damaging my hair is right out the door... *whine*

Euphony
November 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
it stinks because i love the idea of soap bars for hair...... it really really appealed to me but its too much work! That and any risk to damaging my hair is right out the door... *whine*
Perhaps another soap maker would do it for you? There's a huge following for CV here, I've not tried it so I can't attest but I've thought about ordering some just to see.

janeytilllie
December 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe there is something in the soap bar your hair doesnt like? i would try using an ACV rinse again and maybe an over night oiling of coconit oil on the ends? hope this helps

truepeacenik
December 25th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I second (or more) trying a different maker. Find someone fairly local as their blend will be meant (and tested) in local water.
I found I could use some CV soaps as 'poo, and I found a Colorado maker that just rocks.