PDA

View Full Version : Fixing blonde - Help!!

Primrose14
August 16th, 2020, 10:21 AM
So a month and a half ago my hair stylist did a balayage and highlights I didn't really want and damaged my hair in the process. I was already blonde (a warm, golden/honey blonde) and she lightened my hair way too much. The balayage is very cool toned and my ends are almost white.

Right now I'm taking care of my hair and it's feeling stronger every time I wash it (I'm using Olaplex and doing protein and moisture treatments) so I'm thinking about fixing the color next month since I hate it.

How can I fix the color and make it a golden blonde again? The hair stylist that did the balayage said she can fix it and make it warmer with a toner. Is that possible? I thought toners only made your hair "cooler" but I don't know much about hair coloring and toners.

Another stylist I went to offered to dye it. I'm scared since I don't want to make the damage any worse. She said it's an organic dye without ammonia.

I also read demi permanent or semi permanent colors don't damage your hair as much since they're only depositing color. Is that true? My hair is very porous right now (I'm working on it) and I'm worried that the color will not turn out like I want it to or that it won't last long on my hair and I'll have to keep dying it (and damaging it further).

I'm also considering using a color depositing conditioner to make my hair warm toned if toning or dying is not an option.

Another thing I read about is using a color gloss or a color glaze but I don't know if that would be suitable for my hair.

I'm not planning on doing any of this at home though (unless it's something like color depositing conditioner).

I'm very new to all of this and I've never colored or dyed my hair before. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Thank you! :)

Ylva
August 16th, 2020, 10:39 AM
I'm also considering using a color depositing conditioner to make my hair warm toned if toning or dying is not an option.

You could use a color-depositing conditioner, or you could just wait a few washes, because the ash tone will fade. Bleaching hair tends to bring out warmth (orange or yellow tones), so that's what's underneath.

Laurab
August 16th, 2020, 10:47 AM
My first question is how exactly did the highlights happen? Is it that you didn't want the highlights at all, or that the color wasn't right? Have you been happy with the stylists work until this point or has it always been rocky? Have you felt pressured to get things done to your hair that you don't want to?

I think if you're mostly happy with her as a stylist, giving her a second chance to fix your hair makes sense. You can ask her your questions about toner and have a consultation about what you want.
If you feel like she doesn't really listen to you, go somewhere else.

My understanding is the problem with porous hair is it soaks up color really fast. You're right about the color just depositing, but if your hair's really damaged it'll change fast. Like, I've heard of people just using a toner to try and become more cool toned, and their hair turns out purple. Because of that I'd be very careful about doing anything at home, even toning conditioners.

Personally, I think I would wait a couple of weeks. Not only will your hair be in better condition, without a toner or purple shampoo hair doesn't really stay pure white that long, it tends to discolor to more "brassy" tones. If you're lucky, that'll be closer to what you actually want. But if you really can't stand it, having a long conversation with a stylist and asking about all of your fears and concerns.

jane_marie
August 16th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Hello! Your color could certainly be corrected with a toner. There are all sorts of toner shades used to modify color slightly. The issue is that toners can release pretty quickly which will send you back to the salon monthly or so for a touch up.

If I were you I would go with a semi mixed into your conditioner (a better/cheaper option than Overtone). If you go somewhere like Sally's you should be able to find a golden tone you like and mix it into your favorite bottle of conditioner. Then you can just apply that to your dry hair and let it sit before rinsing it out.

Additionally, I think there is a herb that can be used to dye hair a more golden tone. I'm not versed in herbal hair coloring though so I can't suggest anything specific. It's possible there might be something more long lasting (like henna but a gold blonde instead of red) that you can change the color of cool platinum hair with but I can't say for sure. Check out the herbal hair care section to catch some people who have actual knowledge about that sort of thing. :)

Edit- LauraB's comment wasn't there when I wrote this but now that I have seen it I wanted to agree that the white will likely turn a bit more golden with time. The only way to really get a white is to use a purple toner. With time that toner will wash out and your hair should be less cool toned.

SleepyTangles
August 16th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Adding warm tones is pretty easy, it's going cooler that's challenging. I think that your stylist won't have difficulties.

Maybe bring in a picture of the shade of blonde you want, so she can envision clearly what you have in mind.

All dyes are somewhat damaging, but here you are going to deposit color in, not lift. If you want zero damage, you need a blonde tinted conditioner.

I personally won't use herbal dyes, as they don't mix well with regular chemical dyes... unless you have made your mind and are sure you are not going to use normal chemicals dyes anymore. Or for few years, at least.

MusicalSpoons
August 16th, 2020, 11:02 AM
If I were you I would go with a semi mixed into your conditioner (a better/cheaper option than Overtone). If you go somewhere like Sally's you should be able to find a golden tone you like and mix it into your favorite bottle of conditioner. Then you can just apply that to your dry hair and let it sit before rinsing it out.

Additionally, I think there is a herb that can be used to dye hair a more golden tone. I'm not versed in herbal hair coloring though so I can't suggest anything specific. It's possible there might be something more long lasting (like henna but a gold blonde instead of red) that you can change the color of cool platinum hair with but I can't say for sure. Check out the herbal hair care section to catch some people who have actual knowledge about that sort of thing. :)

Cassia :) it lasts for usually about 4-8 weeks depending on the hair and washing method and frequency.

I know very little about all this but my recommendation would also be a deposit-only dye mixed with conditioner - and my instinct would be to start with maybe one shade lighter than you think, just to be on the safe side with your hair being very porous now, especially as you're wary of doing things at home. That way it surely can't go wrong, and if it doesn't get you back to your previous colour after a few applications you could then go a shade darker.

Edit:

I personally won't use herbal dyes, as they don't mix well with regular chemical dyes... unless you have made your mind and are sure you are not going to use normal chemicals dyes anymore. Or for few years, at least.

Henna and indigo are the ones to watch out for. Something like cassia (as long as it's pure, no metallic salts) would be absolutely fine.

SleepyTangles
August 16th, 2020, 01:53 PM
In my experience cassia is very sensitive to mineral and metallic residue, and can definitively go a bit greenish-blonde on the wrong base :).
I actually trust henna more than cassia, in combination with traditional dyes. But that's ok, not everyone has the same experience.

MusicalSpoons
August 16th, 2020, 02:26 PM
In my experience cassia is very sensitive to mineral and metallic residue, and can definitively go a bit greenish-blonde on the wrong base :).
I actually trust henna more than cassia, in combination with traditional dyes. But that's ok, not everyone has the same experience.

Fair enough. I would have thought that once it's worn off it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have experience of this, only learning from what I read of people's experiences here :)

Nightshade
August 16th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Fair enough. I would have thought that once it's worn off it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't have experience of this, only learning from what I read of people's experiences here :)

The good news is if that happens you can remove the mineral buildup on your hair after and it'll keep the golden color but ditch the green!

Jo Ann
August 16th, 2020, 09:55 PM
You could tone it at home, with toner and 10-vol (or less) developer--I wouldn't go any higher than 10-vol. Sally Beauty Supply has quite a few lines of toner you can check out, from Wella Color Charm to their Ion brand. It wouldn't hurt to stop in and chat with one of their employees and see what's out there. The supplies would be cheap enough and you would probably be able to tone it yourself.

lapushka
August 19th, 2020, 03:31 AM
Balayage will grow out fairly nicely (without too much of an obvious root). So I would leave well enough alone and just grow it out. Here's me again with the let's not mess with it further.

But honestly it's a good way to go, because you'll be stuck in the cycle of "not getting the color to come out perfect" and then it never ends.

Been there, done that far too many times over with dyes and bleach, and even henna and indigo.

There is a huge dye grow out thread here. Maybe go there for support, post a starting picture (of the back of the head) and see how far you get (hopefully until it's all gone).

Anyway, just wanting to throw that out there. :)

Meanwhile: lots of pampering.

I would not mess with cassia either because on chemical dyes, you will never know what that's gonna do.

Dark40
August 19th, 2020, 03:00 PM
You could use a toner at home like a few others are saying, and that is very true that demi and semi-permanent dyes don't damage the hair as some permanent hair dyes do. But, the kind of permanent hair dye I use don't ever damage my hair, and I've been using it for over 30 years!

Primrose14
September 2nd, 2020, 06:15 AM
*Update*
I've actually been using Joico K Pak Reconstruct and somehow my hair is now a beautiful warm/honey blonde. I don't know if it's because it removed my toner or because it "stained" my hair but I'm not complaining! It was so cool toned and I hated it. I'm so happy because now I won't have to dye it or even tone it. It also has made my hair feel and look so much better! I'm being very careful since it's a protein treatment and have only use it twice so far, but I'm so happy with the results. Thank you for all the advice!

Bat
September 2nd, 2020, 11:08 PM
*Update*
I've actually been using Joico K Pak Reconstruct and somehow my hair is now a beautiful warm/honey blonde. I don't know if it's because it removed my toner or because it "stained" my hair but I'm not complaining! It was so cool toned and I hated it. I'm so happy because now I won't have to dye it or even tone it. It also has made my hair feel and look so much better! I'm being very careful since it's a protein treatment and have only use it twice so far, but I'm so happy with the results. Thank you for all the advice!

Joico reconstructor doesn't Stain it is just the toner that faded out, I love the bubble gum smell of that stuff

Jo Ann
September 4th, 2020, 04:06 PM
*Update*

The Calvin Coolidge Approach (Four-fifths of all our troubles would disappear, if we would only sit down and keep still)...Lapushka was right again!

lapushka
September 4th, 2020, 04:55 PM
The Calvin Coolidge Approach (Four-fifths of all our troubles would disappear, if we would only sit down and keep still)...Lapushka was right again!

LOL! ;) I have to say, this "just leave it" or "let it be" approach is getting predictable. :p

Jane99
September 4th, 2020, 07:37 PM
I’m glad it worked for you!!

Dark40
September 9th, 2020, 08:14 PM
So a month and a half ago my hair stylist did a balayage and highlights I didn't really want and damaged my hair in the process. I was already blonde (a warm, golden/honey blonde) and she lightened my hair way too much. The balayage is very cool toned and my ends are almost white.

Right now I'm taking care of my hair and it's feeling stronger every time I wash it (I'm using Olaplex and doing protein and moisture treatments) so I'm thinking about fixing the color next month since I hate it.

How can I fix the color and make it a golden blonde again? The hair stylist that did the balayage said she can fix it and make it warmer with a toner. Is that possible? I thought toners only made your hair "cooler" but I don't know much about hair coloring and toners.

Another stylist I went to offered to dye it. I'm scared since I don't want to make the damage any worse. She said it's an organic dye without ammonia.

I also read demi permanent or semi permanent colors don't damage your hair as much since they're only depositing color. Is that true? My hair is very porous right now (I'm working on it) and I'm worried that the color will not turn out like I want it to or that it won't last long on my hair and I'll have to keep dying it (and damaging it further).

Another thing I read about is using a color gloss or a color glaze but I don't know if that would be suitable for my hair.

I'm not planning on doing any of this at home though (unless it's something like color depositing conditioner).

I'm very new to all of this and I've never colored or dyed my hair before. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Thank you! :)

You could use a color glaze right at home. Many years ago I bought a color glaze by John Frieda in "Golden Blonde," I think. It works really well with your already blonde hair! I remember the first time when I dyed my hair at home, and it was a red hair dye. I've been coloring my hair at home for 30 years, and I never ended up damaging it at all with box dye. That's because I found a box dye brand I really like, and I've been sticking to it for that long. I haven't been to a salon to have my hair highlighted or bleached in 12 years! I had gotten my hair highlighted at a beauty school. It wasn't all that expensive as much as at a salon.