PDA

View Full Version : Isopropyl alcohol near the bottom

Dragon
August 13th, 2020, 08:44 AM
If a conditioner contains isopropyl alcohol near the end of the ingredients list, would you still try the conditioner or avoid it?

jane_marie
August 13th, 2020, 08:54 AM
I don;t think I would use anything with isopropyl alcohol. I clean things in the lab with that. :(

sipnsun
August 13th, 2020, 09:10 AM
It is used in conditioners for it's drying effect but I like to avoid it. The way I see it, if it is used for it's drying effect, it will most likely dry out my hair too!

CuteCrow
August 13th, 2020, 09:47 AM
It's often used to dissolve other ingredients, particularly Behentrimonium Chloride (Not sure if I spelt it correctly) and usually evaporates during the whole process of mixing the ingredients. I wouldn't mind using a conditioner with IPA if it's down in the list.

lapushka
August 13th, 2020, 10:01 AM
I know that if a drying alcohol is near the very bottom, it is often "just" used as a preservative; nothing more.

Fimu
August 13th, 2020, 10:22 AM
It's often used to dissolve other ingredients, particularly Behentrimonium Chloride (Not sure if I spelt it correctly) and usually evaporates during the whole process of mixing the ingredients. I wouldn't mind using a conditioner with IPA if it's down in the list.

This is also what I've understood. I'm not a cosmetic expert, so I don't know exactly why some manufacturers choose to use conditioner agents dissolved in IPA and some for alcohol-free conditioning agent pellets (requires more heat to dissolve).

Mariekeeee14
August 13th, 2020, 04:10 PM
I’ve used conditioners with isopropyl alcohol low on the list and they did not dry out my hair so again, if it’s low on the list I’m game to try

Bri-Chan
August 14th, 2020, 10:10 AM
Yes because I don't mind a single ingrediente but the whole formulation, and usually isopropyl alchol is used as preservative.

Carrie's hair
September 13th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Far in the composition is a preservative. If it's high, I wouldn't buy it. I used to have a mask that had isopropyl in 4th place ... It was a product from a time when I didn't read the ingredients. Later, with good care, I used this mask once a month and it was ok. I didn't notice my hair getting dry.