PDA

View Full Version : Is there any possibility that alcohol could make your hair grow faster?

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:04 AM
I cut back my alcohol intake a couple months ago. Then, about a month and a half ago I stopped drinking entirely.

Before I changed my drinking habits my hair was growing over 1" per month every month. Now, it has slowed down to a half inch or less.

Do you think these two things are related or is the change merely a coincident?

luluj
August 11th, 2020, 07:17 AM
I would have to say, maybe, jane_marie. We are all different in the way our bodies work. As of August 8th 2019 I have been alcohol free. The medication I was prescribed at the time required absolutely no alcohol to be consumed while on it. It has been an entire year of no alcohol and my hair seems to be growing at the same average rate it always did.

This is my experience, though. It will be interesting to hear what other members might have experienced.

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:21 AM
I would have to say, maybe, jane_marie. We are all different in the way our bodies work. As of August 8th 2019 I have been alcohol free. The medication I was prescribed at the time required absolutely no alcohol to be consumed while on it. It has been an entire year of no alcohol and my hair seems to be growing at the same average rate it always did.

This is my experience, though. It will be interesting to hear what other members might have experienced.

Thanks for responding. I have a feeling the extra calories were making for faster hair production or something.

Mariekeeee14
August 11th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Is there something else that changed in your routine inside and out or is it JUST the alcohol?

florenonite
August 11th, 2020, 07:28 AM
The only thing I can think of is that beer contains B vitamins and various minerals like magnesium and selenium, so it's possible that beer was a major source of those nutrients in your diet, and you may now not be getting enough to support regular functions AND hair growth. I would say to take a look at your diet and make sure you're getting enough of these nutrients.

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:28 AM
Is there something else that changed in your routine inside and out or is it JUST the alcohol?

I'm outside more and exercise more but I thought sun and exercise helped increase growth. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure no drinking is the biggest change. I haven't been able to replace the liquid calories with anything else.

As a result I have lost quite a bit of weight.... can eating less calories slow growth?

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:31 AM
The only thing I can think of is that beer contains B vitamins and various minerals like magnesium and selenium, so it's possible that beer was a major source of those nutrients in your diet, and you may now not be getting enough to support regular functions AND hair growth. I would say to take a look at your diet and make sure you're getting enough of these nutrients.

Thank you for this! As soon as you mentioned B vitamins I realized that I haven't been coating nearly as much stuff in nutritional yeast lately. I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.

ETA - Maybe it's due to dehydration. I don't drink water because I hate buying plastic bottles and I live in a very old house with extremely hard water. It's gross. I still drink the same amount of non-alcohol fluids as before. Maybe I need to have more herbal tea (herbal tea disguises my water lol).

Bri-Chan
August 11th, 2020, 07:56 AM
As a result I have lost quite a bit of weight.... can eating less calories slow growth?
I think this could happen if you are eating less calories comparing to the amount you are supposed to eat.

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 08:04 AM
I think this could happen if you are eating less calories comparing to the amount you are supposed to eat.

hmmm... I don't know how to fix that. I'm not finding myself hungry and can't stomach more fattening stuff anymore. I find it really difficult to eat the amount I am supposed to (according to cronometer, mfp) without drinking of eating a bunch of greasy food.

florenonite
August 11th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Thank you for this! As soon as you mentioned B vitamins I realized that I haven't been coating nearly as much stuff in nutritional yeast lately. I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.

ETA - Maybe it's due to dehydration. I don't drink water because I hate buying plastic bottles and I live in a very old house with extremely hard water. It's gross. I still drink the same amount of non-alcohol fluids as before. Maybe I need to have more herbal tea (herbal tea disguises my water lol).

Oof, I hear you on the hard water. Mine is something like 500ppm, and even softened (it has to be; my hair and skin wouldn't cope otherwise) it tastes vile. Have you tried a filter jug? I find this one (https://www.aqua-optima.com/) helps a lot.

Suortuva
August 11th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Well, I really do hope it doesn't make hair grow faster, because I quitted alcohol I don't even remember when... 12+ years ago I think. And if I must choose, I'll stuck with shorter hair then, lol.

Fimu
August 11th, 2020, 10:02 AM
You've mentioned weight loss, but I wonder, have you done bloodwork on iron, B12, thyroid, etc?

Another explanation I could think of is that alcohol gave an extra blood flow boost to your scalp?

Aerya
August 11th, 2020, 10:11 AM
It's probably possible but it sounds a bit weird to me. If anything drinking a lot of alcohol should slow it down due to stress on the body. Maybe you're consuming less calories now?

spidermom
August 11th, 2020, 12:08 PM

You could get a pitcher filter for drinking water. That's what husband and I use for ourselves and our pets. We have the pur brand that removes the most contaminants.

Jane99
August 11th, 2020, 12:52 PM
We use a filter too... Zero water is awesome!! It removes everything to 0PPM total dissolved solids! I think it could make sense that fewer calories consumed equals decreased hair growth... and I *thought* alcohol decreased available B vitamins... that’s why those “hangover cure” pills are really just mega doses of B vitamins

meepster
August 11th, 2020, 02:34 PM
I wonder if the vasodilation has anything to do with it. In which case, maybe a nice hot sauna can have the same effect?

AutobotsAttack
August 11th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Alcohol typically inhibits pretty much everything. From muscle growth, fat loss, and a lot of other metabolic functions. Alcohol makes your liver work pretty hard in order to process it. By extension, hair growth can be effected. I’m pretty sure other things you were doing, were allowing you to see increased hair growth. Eating less, also impacts hair growth. I won’t say weight loss inhibits hair growth because weight loss and fat loss are different. Weight loss can be muscle loss and fat loss. One of which you actually want to hang onto as much as possible. Muscle mass, how much of it you have at least, really impacts basal metabolic rates. Your metabolism also greatly impacts your growth rate.

blackgothicdoll
August 11th, 2020, 02:44 PM
I'd have hair to the front door if that were the case.

Aerya
August 11th, 2020, 03:26 PM
I'd have hair to the front door if that were the case.

Lol, same.

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Lol, same.

Ends up I have just mixed up my hair photos/lengths. I figured it out. I'm still averaging the same I just forgot to label last months image. silly mistake. :rolleyes:

-Fern
August 11th, 2020, 03:42 PM
I think many people have a growth spurt in late Spring/early Summer, and then it slows down towards the end of summer.

Aerya
August 11th, 2020, 04:03 PM
Ends up I have just mixed up my hair photos/lengths. I figured it out. I'm still averaging the same I just forgot to label last months image. silly mistake. :rolleyes:

:lol: Well I guess that explains that mystery. And here I was, ready to participate in the drunk control group in an experiment!

I'm glad your growth rate is still well and good though. :flower:

daisy rei
August 11th, 2020, 07:00 PM
12" of hair a year? Somehow that doesn't seem feasible to me. That would be like going from waist length to FTL in one year.

Anyway, congrats on becoming sober. DBF and I quit drinking in January and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

sipnsun
August 11th, 2020, 07:07 PM
:lol: Well I guess that explains that mystery. And here I was, ready to participate in the drunk control group in an experiment!

I'm glad your growth rate is still well and good though. :flower:

Me too, lol! I don't drink much but was willing to participate as well and came here to say that!;)

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:18 PM
12" of hair a year? Somehow that doesn't seem feasible to me. That would be like going from waist length to FTL in one year.

Anyway, congrats on becoming sober. DBF and I quit drinking in January and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Yeah, I have a 1" growth rate.

Here is a B/A showing September 2019 to May 2020.
https://i.imgur.com/oSjqdqS.png

I cut multiple times during the time period as well. It's all very well documented in my blog if you would like to check it out. :)

sipnsun
August 11th, 2020, 07:21 PM

I cut multiple times during the time period as well. It's all very well documented in my blog if you would like to check it out. :)

WOW! That is impressive growth, you are so lucky to have such fast growing hair. It's healthy and beautiful too!

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:33 PM
WOW! That is impressive growth, you are so lucky to have such fast growing hair. It's healthy and beautiful too!

Thanks so much!

It was actually quite damaged it just looked shiny because of cones. I chopped it back to BSL to remove layers and get a more blunt hem after this photo.

Jane99
August 11th, 2020, 07:47 PM
I’m glad the mystery is solved!

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 07:59 PM
I’m glad the mystery is solved!

Thanks so much. I'm happy it's been figured it out.

0xalis
August 11th, 2020, 08:52 PM
Well, I really do hope it doesn't make hair grow faster, because I quitted alcohol I don't even remember when... 12+ years ago I think. And if I must choose, I'll stuck with shorter hair then, lol.

Same here, I quit 2 years ago and I'm never looking back, it was the worst substance out of everything I've tried and I still chose to drink too much! I'd rather stick with my .6'' a month than drink to get faster hair growth.

0xalis
August 11th, 2020, 08:54 PM

:thud: I already believed you but actually seeing it is just WOW!

jane_marie
August 11th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Thanks Oxalis, I'm just hoping the pace stays the same. I'd love to hit TBL by this time next year!