PDA

View Full Version : Are curly hair meant to be braided/bunned only when wet/damp?

August 9th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Like above. I see these curly tutorials on yt where they braid damp hair... I finally got to the length when I'm able to make small bun, but it worked when wet and it all poofed out and slipped out when I tried the same thing on dry hair. :/

Is that where my problems stem from? I remember I always had more luck with updos with wet or heavily oiled hair (like, dripping with oil). If I'm supposed to do it on wer hair, then how the hell am I supposed to put my hair up before bathing on the days when I don't wash my hair -_-

AutobotsAttack
August 9th, 2020, 12:58 PM
I don’t think it’s so much of a curly haired problem as it is a length problem. As your hair grows out, braids and buns will become more secure. If they stay better being wet or damp then go for it, otherwise I wouldn’t be so alerted by your style coming apart. That’s just what they’re going to do.

Kathie
August 9th, 2020, 03:23 PM
I agree with AutobotsAttack, with more length the ends will be more securely anchored. The wet or heavily oiled hair seems to be creating the friction needed to hold it in place, think about how flowy and silky dry hair is compared to wet or oiled.

Something else that might help though... Im not sure what you are using to hold the bun? For me forks will hold better than sticks and sticks better than a hair-tie over the bun. I can successful bun just past shoulder length with a fork because they hold so well. Edit: referring to dry hair here.

shelomit
August 9th, 2020, 07:25 PM
I can bun my hair pretty comfortably wet or dry, but (even with much longer hair than yours) find it easiest to braid neatly if it's slightly damp. It takes my hair forever to dry when I properly wash it, but I find that I can give it a little spritz of water to braid it and that works very well. It provides enough moisture to keep the frizz down and make the hair less inclined to tangle as I braid it, but isn't enough to soak in, so it dries quickly (probably in half an hour). ETA: I should have made it clearer that the problem with braiding dry hair for me is not that it doesn't want to "stick," but rather that it's difficult to separate the hairs into sections without it tangling without the added lubricant of water. I can braid it dry, but the braid will look much messier and I often wind up pulling out a hair or two accidentally due to the curly little frizzy bits getting tangled.

I just picked up a very plain plastic spray bottle, the type that you might use for a cleaning fluid, at a dollar store.

hennalonghair
August 9th, 2020, 08:39 PM
If I braid and / or bun my hair while fully wet, it doesn’t dry at all. My hair usually needs a full day to thoroughly dry.

When I first joined this site my hair was only APL and I’d never really worn buns before even though my my hair was longer for most of my life. It was here that I learned about how to bun my hair but most hair styles I couldn’t do. My hair was too short, too curly and too thick & coarse.

It was here that I learned that hair should be worn up to protect it and keep it healthy but my hair doesn’t like being bunned. It gets far too dried out and retains the shape of the hairstyle long after I’ve taken it out so now my go to hair style is a single or double braid.

I wet my hands before braiding and leave about 8 inches unbraided. With this remaining 8 inches I wet fairly well and add a dollop of conditioner so my ends re-curl. It makes my braids healthier and look nicer.

With curly hair , pieces stick out. That’s the curse of having curly hair. The dreaded frizz is even worse. The spray bottle filled with water is a great idea. I used to add some conditioner to it and shake it up to use but the nossle gets all gunked up at times which is why I’ll rub a dollop into my wet hands and scrunch it in the ends. My ends have never been healthier and I’m at TBL.

All my hairstyles are braided first but never braided fully wet. I’d have a case of fungus head in no time. Lol

Simsy
August 10th, 2020, 03:30 AM
It kinda depends on the hair more than texture. Mine won’t dry in a bun; and it won’t braid properly unless it’s completely dry.

I bun my hair for showers, you may find the beak clips useful at your length. A shower cap also works if your hair isn’t too heavy. You should be able to just pile your hair up on top; use a clip or hair tie to hold it up; and that should work well enough while you get a bit more length for more options.

florenonite
August 10th, 2020, 05:36 AM
I agree with the above that it sounds more like a length thing than a curl thing. I see your hair is fine, which can make it quite slippery. I don't wash my hair every day (and I can't bun it wet or it'll irritate my scalp), so what I'll often do is mist my hair with water so it's damp before putting it up.

I suspect you see a lot of these tutorials done on wet hair because it's easier to mould the curls into place when they're wet so you can get a smoother look; IMO this is really a personal preference thing because I think the curls add a lovely softness to updos and braids.

lapushka
August 10th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Like above. I see these curly tutorials on yt where they braid damp hair... I finally got to the length when I'm able to make small bun, but it worked when wet and it all poofed out and slipped out when I tried the same thing on dry hair. :/

Is that where my problems stem from? I remember I always had more luck with updos with wet or heavily oiled hair (like, dripping with oil). If I'm supposed to do it on wer hair, then how the hell am I supposed to put my hair up before bathing on the days when I don't wash my hair -_-

Wet hair stretches out. So it is longer in that state than when it is dry. For that reason, I never *tightly* bun when wet, because that is just a disaster waiting to happen when it dries. I don't have anything against wet bunning, that's not what I said. ;)

How long is your hair right now?

Hairkay
August 10th, 2020, 07:51 AM
I'm in agreement with the others. You need more length with thick hair. I do plait, twist and sometimes bun my hair damp but that depends on the weather or if I'm staying in a warm environment for some time. I do have to be careful though with damp hair. If it's barely staying in a bun maybe using smaller sections making bantu knots?

Briar.Rose
August 10th, 2020, 08:58 AM
I spritz with water and finger set angle usually put an oil or a leave in, I try not to manipulate it too much when wet if I have a lot of frizz maybe do you routine after detangling and give the damp hair time to dry before putting it up? I know it’s a bit of a hassle but could help it find it’s pattern and fall the way it wants to

Briar.Rose
August 10th, 2020, 08:59 AM
Detangle not set angle sorry

Hairkay
August 11th, 2020, 11:21 AM
I spritz with water and finger set angle usually put an oil or a leave in, I try not to manipulate it too much when wet if I have a lot of frizz maybe do you routine after detangling and give the damp hair time to dry before putting it up? I know it’s a bit of a hassle but could help it find it’s pattern and fall the way it wants to

That is so hard to do with tight curls. The only way most of the family know the pattern of the hair would be to cut it to 5mm then the hair whorl will be visible because that's shorter the the tightest curl. There are some who'd have to cut it to 1-2mm because there are even curls that tight. Of course the longer hair never falls in that pattern if it falls at all.

BerrySara
August 12th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Idk about what curly hair is meant to do but for me, I definitely do wet my hair a little bit and typically add some conditioner or styler in order to tame the frizzy crown and have it stay in place when I bun. I also cant bun or braid if fully wet because it just wont dry. So typically on wash day I leave my hair be to air dry and on days when I bun, I spritz some water on dry hair and add some conditioner before I bun. If I braid I also brush out the curls (damp with conditioner added).

If I am just home though and don't care what it looks like, then I do a curly pinapple or bun with dry hair. Frizz halo and all.

Bat
August 14th, 2020, 09:31 PM
From their Sig it seems like they shaved it all off unless it's a really old signature

lapushka
August 15th, 2020, 02:21 AM
From their Sig it seems like they shaved it all off unless it's a really old signature

That was some time ago now, Bat.

August 16th, 2020, 01:10 PM
I don’t think it’s so much of a curly haired problem as it is a length problem. As your hair grows out, braids and buns will become more secure. If they stay better being wet or damp then go for it, otherwise I wouldn’t be so alerted by your style coming apart. That’s just what they’re going to do.

THEY DON'T STAY BETTER WHEN THEY'RE LONGER. Stop saying that they will get better... I had tailbone length and I could do 3 strand braid ONLY when my hair were completely slathered with oil. This is serious. I started looking at short cuts... If I won't be able to put up my hair when I go take a bath I'll have to cut, what else am I supposed to do? Bun falls apart so many times it takes me 30 mins to put them up... After I succeed I have to scrub my face and it of course falls apart while I scrub, so I have to start all over again. Only serious responses please. I spent years on making my hair more managable and no go... Please don't say it's because of lack of skill - I'm not a good braider, but my buns are ok, I can do stick buns and stuff... I might not be perfect at every single hairstyle I try, but I really think it's because my hair is so slippery and poofy.

Edit:
Now it's grown out into, dunno... A mullet? I guess. And my bangs are past my nose.

August 16th, 2020, 01:27 PM
I'm in agreement with the others. You need more length with thick hair. I do plait, twist and sometimes bun my hair damp but that depends on the weather or if I'm staying in a warm environment for some time. I do have to be careful though with damp hair. If it's barely staying in a bun maybe using smaller sections making bantu knots?

Yes, I do think that I probably need more length for the same styles that people with thinner hair do at the same length, I noticed that. There are some tutorials where people already do some styles and I have to wait. But that's not what I'm asking about, they're very unruly in general, when long I could only bun/braid heavily oiled hair, not sure why or how to go around this. I have trouble with bantu knots, not sure if due to my hair or lack of skill... Probably both, heh. With bantu knots, the one on top stays, but in the back and on the sides they unravel.

I tried bunning on dirty/oily hair, I wet my hands, finger combed through and it stayed really well but my scalp hated it, so itchy :/. But was very secure. Not sure if I can do something like that all the time.

Hairkay
August 16th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Yes, I do think that I probably need more length for the same styles that people with thinner hair do at the same length, I noticed that. There are some tutorials where people already do some styles and I have to wait. But that's not what I'm asking about, they're very unruly in general, when long I could only bun/braid heavily oiled hair, not sure why or how to go around this. I have trouble with bantu knots, not sure if due to my hair or lack of skill... Probably both, heh. With bantu knots, the one on top stays, but in the back and on the sides they unravel.

I tried bunning on dirty/oily hair, I wet my hands, finger combed through and it stayed really well but my scalp hated it, so itchy :/. But was very secure. Not sure if I can do something like that all the time.

It sounds as if you need more practise. You're still getting used to your hair in it's curly state since as I recall you had it straight for some time. Doing hair in the back is always trickier especially when hair is shorter.