PDA

View Full Version : Very long with fringe?

Tangles
November 11th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I was wondering if any of you had hair waist or over with a fringe (not bangs); if so, I'd like to see photos of how it looks. I know spidermom has one, but it doesn't show much in photos. I want to see what this looks like, because I'm considering leaving in the slight layering I have currently as I grow. I don't know. I like the idea of all exactly one length, but I also don't like the flat-head that results.

Also, what length should the shortest layer be at in order to have more body around your face but not get INTO your face? I'm thinking collar bone and APL length layers would look great on someone with hip length hair, for example.

Comfrey
November 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have mine like that and I'm having it trimmed back into shape on saturday. I'll try and remember to get some pictures taken :)

On an aside I find it more flattering now everything is heading south, because I can hide my forehead wrinkles under my fringe and my sagging jawline is masked somewhat by the hair framing my face :liar:

jojo
November 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I thought a fringe and bangs were the same? are they not?

Tangles
November 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
On LHC I've seen lots of people use fringe to mean face framing layers as distinguished from bangs. :) In the UK, it means bangs, I know.

Kaeri
November 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Um.. I have classic hair with a 'grown out' type fringe thats just past my chin. It was never a fringe itself, I got it cut there about a month ago. Unfortionatly it looks to be a lot more of one length than layered like I wanted (Still not impressed with the hairdresser but not getting into that, suffice to say they have a very different idea of bits of hair round my face than I do)

Not entirely sure which you're meaning when you're distinguishing tho - do you want fringe as in above the eyebrows straight across length hair or shorter bits by your face?
(I'm UK and so the 2 meaning the same thing is ever so slightly confusing me lol)

If you mean it like I've described I'll try get a piccy sorted to see if its any help to you. If not then I'm not going to bother as I hide from cameras usually :P
(don't think the ones in my album are likely to be much use tho you're welcome to check)

Fantak
November 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I have TB length hair and have always had wisps of hair framing my face, I think it gives a softer more feminine look.

I usually cut them myself since stylists always tend to make it look rigid :/

Last time I did it I loved the result. What I did was I did a side parting about 1.5-2cm wide. I combed down the hair so that it covered my face. I then cut each side at an angle in a straight line so that it went from eye level to mid-neck (I hope that makes sense) on each side. It looked like an upside down, lop-sided V.

The natural waves in my hair give it bounce, it also means it doesn't need any styling. I like how the ends frame the face at different heights. It also gives you a lot of flexibility when it comes to emphasising different facial features.

Sorry I don't have a picture to show you, but I hope the description helps ^.^

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Here's a better picture of what my fringe does:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg
Oh, and this one:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/inside.jpg
In this one, all the rest of my hair is styled, fringe left out:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/nautilus.jpg

I hope that helps. These are the best pictures I already had in photobucket.

wintersun99
November 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
As you probably noticed, mine slanted from about cheek-bone length to collarbone length. I'm doing a one year of no hair cuts, so fringe now slants from chin-length to almost APL.

Tangles
November 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Yep, yours look good, SM, and I looooove the Dutch braid with the bun! They really frame your eyes. Unfortunately when I had bangs at that length they made my face look too narrow.

I'm thinking about definitely keeping some layers at around collarbone, but nothing shorter, too much flying around ;)

RedJen
November 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I can't find any good pictures of my fringe, but I do have light bangs that hit right around my eyebrows. I find that all one length, pulled back (because it's overwhelming), is a bit more severe than I like. My hair is almost knee-length.

vindo
November 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I have almost classic length hair with straight bangs and face framing layers.
Regular layers have never made my hair look fuller, it was the opposite. This is also due to the fact that my hair is too straight to really 'show' layers.

The picture was intended for something else so excuse the goofiness..:o:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/NAGAI-KAMI/WoodburyMallDay.jpg

I can wear my bangs in my face as well as side swept as well as out of my face.:)

Tangles
November 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Hmm, is there a way to keep hair all one length except for just a few face framing layers? Does this look awkward? I really want the thickness of all one length combined with something to lift my crown up a bit.

Emichiee, I've been a fan of your bangs, but bangs are not good for me. Unfortunately--because I think they really perk up and add interest to long hair.

jojo
November 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
On LHC I've seen lots of people use fringe to mean face framing layers as distinguished from bangs. :) In the UK, it means bangs, I know.

no its fringe in the UK for face framing or blunt!;)

jojo
November 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have almost classic length hair with straight bangs and face framing layers.
Regular layers have never made my hair look fuller, it was the opposite. This is also due to the fact that my hair is too straight to really 'show' layers.

The picture was intended for something else so excuse the goofiness..:o:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/NAGAI-KAMI/WoodburyMallDay.jpg

I can wear my bangs in my face as well as side swept as well as out of my face.:)

i love this fringe, this is how I had mine once a pon a time, i think the longer the hair the better it looks. It makes me wonder wether to go back to them looking at your photos. x

spidermom
November 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
If you don't cut your fringe yourself, I suggest you pull back any hair you do not want included. That is what I did when I had mine cut. Otherwise the stylist will do too many layers and include too much of your hair. They're taught to do layers a certain way, so if you want yours different, you have to protect the rest of your hair. You really do.

Kaeri
November 11th, 2008, 04:38 PM
If you start them much shorter than chin length you'll have a nightmare of a time tucking them back behind your ears without some falling in your face. I used to have mine starting from the bottom of my nose and those bits would never stay back anywhere

Kaeri
November 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
If you don't cut your fringe yourself, I suggest you pull back any hair you do not want included. That is what I did when I had mine cut. Otherwise the stylist will do too many layers and include too much of your hair. They're taught to do layers a certain way, so if you want yours different, you have to protect the rest of your hair. You really do.

You definatly do. where I went seemed to think that all the hair that you can part to the side of your hair was what wanted cutting into layers. :(

vindo
November 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm sure just face framing layers instead of bangs would look just as good. It's just a different style.
I second what spidermom said, or maybe let them part it and then tell them to make it a tad less or more hair. Once that is agreed you could pull your hair in a ponytail.

Crinita
November 11th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I recently took this drastic step (ok, it seemed drastic at the time!) myself. Oh how I kvetched over it! Aieee! I am very thrilled with the results and find that it really softens updos to add a less "evil librarian" aspect to my look. My hair is between tailbone & classic. This is the shortest any portion of my hair has been Since Bill Clinton's first term in office.

I searched images of Bollywood actresses (they have hair similar to mine and tend to wear it looooong!) to take examples to my stylist. The actress' name is Amisha Patel.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/pissycelt/banginspiration.jpg http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/pissycelt/BANGs.jpg(webcam shot, a bit fuzzy)

My stylist is awesome (never trims too much and calls styling my hair her zen garden) and captured it pretty darned well! :D

Pax,
Crinita

enitsirk
November 11th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I recently cut my hair from fingertip to hip, and also put in some face framing pieces a bit longer than chin length. I am happy with the look and I don't think it looks strange at all :D

intothemist1999
November 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Mine look not unlike Crinita's, but shorter.

I've wondered about the same thing, Tangles. If you check my album in my profile, you'll see a bit of the fringe near my face. I really don't like the look of NO fringe - on me, that is. However, it's been a real trick to get those how I want them: letting them (and areas around them) grow out and keep re-tweaking.

I've just thinned them out a bit (they were a bit too heavy - from going too far back on the top of my head) and cut them to chin length. For me, they are useful for covering up my double chin :D

Darn, in the "Length" folder I chopped the fringe out of the photo. However, right where it gets chopped is about where my fringe would have been in that photo, just about shoulder level.

Now that my hair is waist-length, I'm wearing it in a pony (and starting to wear it up more and more)....therefore, it more often WON'T be hanging loose with the entire head of hair. For the times that it does, it doesn't look bad, actually, which was my concern. I have fairly straight hair, so it sort of blends in, and I often end up putting the fringe hairs behind my ears anyway. I do intend to grow the length a bit longer, but will probably keep the fringe the same.

I think if it's long enough, when you wear it all down, you can brush the front hair back and it does a nice layered effect. I would like mine to be longer (and have), but then it doesn't work for me when the hair is pulled back or up. I had tried to get a very deep angle happening so if I had it up some would be short enough to stay down, and some long enough to get pulled back. It was just too much of a science for me to get it right.

As I mentioned, I just trimmed them again, I *thought* at an angle, but less-steep, but now it looks almost all the same length!

Then today, I'm really wondering if I should have stuck with bangs! That's another story :) And no, I don't think I will.

ETA: I find that the fringe hanging down when the hair is pulled back looks better from the sides. From the front it just looks like I have very short hair!! lol One more reason I was considering the bangs.

crystal_89
November 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I have waist-length hair with a short side swept fringe which varies in length and LOTS of layers. The only reason I have a side fringe instead of bangs is because I'm not entirely sure I look good with blunt bangs, plus my friends complain when I get them. There are pics of my layers and fringe in my photo album.

I was also thinking of one day growing my hair into the layered style that Nicole Scherzinger of PCD appears to have in the 'when I grow up' video clip. It looks like her hair is in a U or V shape with the shortest layers possibly starting at APL and the longest at Hip with a centre part.

And I've noticed that my fringe has to be past chin length just to get back into a pony tail. Much longer than that just to stay in a braid or hairstick bun. Possibly a bit shorter than chin length to stay behind my ears.