PDA

View Full Version : Hair fall help! Could biotin supplement be to blame?

Ab1J
August 1st, 2020, 05:52 AM
I’m having an absolute nightmare with my hair at the moment, I’m losing loads of hair every time I wash it and it’s got so thin. I’ve been taking a 12,000 mcg biotin supplement since May - I started taking it because my hair was thin and falling but it’s massively worse now. I’ve also used a few protein conditioners over last few months but none have helped, I also take collagen powder every day. I’m in dire need of some hair help, if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them. I’m 45 and have fine curly hair, it’s hasn’t been thick for years but now I’m getting really scared by how thin it is ��

emmacarol
August 1st, 2020, 10:05 AM
I'm not a doctor, but I've definitely heard that while biotin supplements help some people with their hair, it can cause excessive hairfall in others. If the biotin is the only thing that you've changed since your hairfall got much worse, that could potentially be part of it. However, the root cause of the problem might be medical (some sort of deficiency in your diet, hormonal issue, or other undiagnosed health problem). My mother is around your age with a similar problem, and her hairstylist told her it might be good to check with a doctor to see if there's a medical reason for her hairfall. So, it might be best to see a doctor if you think something like that could be wrong. Always best to be safe!

SleepyTangles
August 1st, 2020, 10:50 AM
Unless you are taking the supplements for medical reasons, I'd stop them for now and see how it goes.
In general supplements are meant to be taken for a limited time... So either way stopping is not a bad thing (again,
unless there's a medical condition to keep under control).

My hair hates protein and breaks more with treatments that contain it.

Wish you the best luck with this shedding :flower:

Ab1J
August 1st, 2020, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the replies, I’m going to stop taking the biotin and see what happens, and cut out all products containing protein! I have hypothyroidism which can cause hair loss but I’m medicated for that and my test results were fine last time they were checked.

emmacarol
August 1st, 2020, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a good plan! I hope it works out for you. :)

lapushka
August 1st, 2020, 12:00 PM
I'm not a doctor, but I've definitely heard that while biotin supplements help some people with their hair, it can cause excessive hairfall in others. If the biotin is the only thing that you've changed since your hairfall got much worse, that could potentially be part of it. However, the root cause of the problem might be medical (some sort of deficiency in your diet, hormonal issue, or other undiagnosed health problem). My mother is around your age with a similar problem, and her hairstylist told her it might be good to check with a doctor to see if there's a medical reason for her hairfall. So, it might be best to see a doctor if you think something like that could be wrong. Always best to be safe!

Best advice ever. Age 40/50 there could definitely be hormones at play. Do check with a doctor. A blood panel and hormone check is fairly easy to do!

I was quite surprised at the amount of biotin you are taking. :shocked:

Ab1J
August 1st, 2020, 12:09 PM
Best advice ever. Age 40/50 there could definitely be hormones at play. Do check with a doctor. A blood panel and hormone check is fairly easy to do!

I was quite surprised at the amount of biotin you are taking. :shocked:
I should also add that in January I had a full blood check as had been feeling very low and I wondered if I could be pre-menopausal, I’m not. And nothing else was amiss either. The biotin is vita bright high strength Biotin with coconut which I got on Amazon, loads of reviews on how people’s hair grew thicker and longer after taking. Just my luck that it hasn’t worked for me! The collagen powder I’ve taken on and off for a couple of years and I do find it strengthens my nails, but not my hair bizarrely. Thinking about it I did have an Olaplex treatment on my hair a few months back and noticed loads of breakage after. Keep your fingers crossed for me that stopping the supplements and protein products works cos I’m not pretty enough to rock the bald look! ��

hennalonghair
August 1st, 2020, 12:27 PM
Drink coffee
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/treating-female-pattern-hair-loss

jеstеr
August 1st, 2020, 12:51 PM
If you are taking more than 5000 mcg of biotin per day, that can be the cause of hair fall. It has been described in the literature that biotin in higher than needed doses might be toxic.

0xalis
August 1st, 2020, 08:43 PM
That much biotin is bad for your liver.

Ab1J
August 2nd, 2020, 03:15 AM
If you are taking more than 5000 mcg of biotin per day, that can be the cause of hair fall. It has been described in the literature that biotin in higher than needed doses might be toxic.

I haven’t come across that anywhere, I read that biotin is water soluble and that your body dumps any excess! I don’t know why they sell these supplements and claim they help hair growth if they have the opposite effect :/

Ab1J
August 2nd, 2020, 03:16 AM

Can I ask where you’ve found that info? I’m worried now!

AutobotsAttack
August 2nd, 2020, 03:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about the biotin claims on here. There's so many mixed views concerning that. I tend to stick to the most relevant literature on that, which states that biotin is water soluble, and as you've mentioned, your body will rid itself of excess, even in higher than normal amounts. Of course it can vary with individuals, but that margin of variability is quite small. Relatively speaking, and if there were any signs of toxicity, i'm sure your body would've alerted you anyways, (nausea, skin flushing, insomnia, excessive urinating, stomach issues, etc.)

Im more concerned with what you're deeming "hair fall". Can you recall if this hair fall is shedding or if its breakage? If its the former, perhaps theres things concerning your diet, exercise, or hormonal activity which could stand to be corrected? If its the latter, then there's definitely something going on with your hair care, and product usage that could stand to be fixed.

Ab1J
August 2nd, 2020, 03:53 AM
Im more concerned with what you're deeming "hair fall". Can you recall if this hair fall is shedding or if its breakage? If its the former, perhaps theres things concerning your diet, exercise, or hormonal activity which could stand to be corrected? If its the latter, then there's definitely something going on with your hair care, and product usage that could stand to be fixed.
I’ve had both, there was definitely some breakage a few weeks back which has made me think it could’ve been down to protein in hair treatments. Over the last couple of weeks though it’s coming out loads when I wash my hair and there are disturbing amounts on my comb when I comb conditioner through, and my hair is looking noticeable thinner.
My diet is good, I exercise regularly, and the only health issue I have that I know of if hypothyroidism. I think I’m going to try and speak to my doctor and get another blood test.

MusicalSpoons
August 2nd, 2020, 04:56 AM

It's water-soluble, so more likely to do your kidneys in than your liver I thought?

OP water-soluble doesn't mean benign, our bodies still have to process it in order to excrete the excess and megadoses can put a strain on the systems processing it. Overdosing is one thing and in terms of vitamins is usually okay, but megadosing is quite another. If you haven't had any symptoms I wouldn't worry about long-term damage, but we have had members who've had kidney pain from excess biotin without other symptoms like acne. It can also skew blood test results, just FYI in case you get any bloodwork done while taking / having recently taken it.

Ab1J
August 2nd, 2020, 05:05 AM
It's water-soluble, so more likely to do your kidneys in than your liver I thought?

OP water-soluble doesn't mean benign, our bodies still have to process it in order to excrete the excess and megadoses can put a strain on the systems processing it. Overdosing is one thing and in terms of vitamins is usually okay, but megadosing is quite another. If you haven't had any symptoms I wouldn't worry about long-term damage, but we have had members who've had kidney pain from excess biotin without other symptoms like acne. It can also skew blood test results, just FYI in case you get any bloodwork done while taking / having recently taken it.

Thanks for the info, I’m glad I posted here and I think you’ve all confirmed my suspicions about the biotin. I’ve not taken it today and won’t be ever again. Just hope my hair loss stops now, it’s quite upsetting to think that I’ve been taking the damn things to help my hair and have probably ended up making it a million times worse :-(

sipnsun
August 2nd, 2020, 06:00 AM
Please speak to your doctor before taking supplements. My iron got all out of whack several years ago and I don't even take a vitamin without her approval. As others have said, some vitamins can be toxic and any amount that is more than your body needs is too much.

Dark40
August 3rd, 2020, 08:59 PM
I totally agree with everyone else above me. That much biotin is bad for the liver. I'm only taking either 3,000 mcg or 5,000 mcg of biotin daily for my hair, skin, and nails. My hair loves protein but Ii only use protein treatments and conditioners once a month. As you know, there is a such thing as protein overload, and the hair loss or fall can be do to a medical condition or stress. But, if stop taking biotin for a while helps you then fine. Whatever works for you. But I would definitely have my hormones check.

TwilightMermaid
August 3rd, 2020, 10:10 PM
I've never heard of biotin harming the hair, even in excess. You just pee out what your body doesn't use. Definitely talk to a medical professional if possible. Situations like these are why it's always best to talk to a doctor before taking any supplements.

Ylva
August 4th, 2020, 08:10 AM
I've never heard of biotin harming the hair, even in excess. You just pee out what your body doesn't use. Definitely talk to a medical professional if possible. Situations like these are why it's always best to talk to a doctor before taking any supplements.

The thing is that the body still needs to process whatever goes through, and having to process a sh**ton of biotin could be very straining and take space from something else that needs to be processed instead.

TwilightMermaid
August 4th, 2020, 03:12 PM
I haven't thought about it that way Ylva. That makes sense.

jеstеr
August 5th, 2020, 08:00 AM
Yes. That, too.

0xalis
August 5th, 2020, 11:31 PM
I don't actually remember the source I got that information from, it was a few years ago, so I would humbly accept being wrong.
THAT BEING SAID- you don't really need to take any supplemental vitamins unless you have a really crappy diet and actually have a deficiency.
They can be worse than nothing in general for people who eat a balanced diet. Even for deficiencies sometimes they're not that helpful.
But I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I still eat a multivitamin now and again, we have three big containers of these chocolate ones that are too good to pass up haha.

Here's an article (https://theconversation.com/new-vitamin-supplement-study-finds-they-may-do-more-harm-than-good-97246) about vitamin supplements and here's the study (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109718345601) cited in the article.

Trichypixie
August 7th, 2020, 01:23 AM
I tried biotin hoping to speed up/thicken hair growth and found that not only did my hair fall increase but my skin, normally not too bad, broke out something fierce. All my friends swear by it, but everyone is different and what works with some persons body chemistry may not work with someone elses. I hope you find the cause soon!