PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete split ends / "holes" in the strands

Fimu
July 26th, 2020, 12:29 AM
Does anyone here also have a lot of these kinds of split ends? If yes, what were possible culprits for you?

I have many "incomplete" splits. Some are at 2 - 3 inches above the tips, but I also spotted those holes mid-shaft (right below my chest). I suspect it's caused by using products (conditioners and stylers) that have too little slip. When I googled, I see results of natural hair forums/blogs where they blamed the Tangle Teezer brush -- I've never used the TT but I have used the Denman brush until somewhere in 2018.

Here are some examples of "incomplete" split ends (source: google images):
https://2kinkyladies.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/20130928-203154.jpg
https://www.naturalme4c.com/uploads/1/4/5/1/14511778/8269929.jpg?493
https://66.media.tumblr.com/5483e7a35054b238eb1fab3c14c66c8a/tumblr_od1k2oEHav1tvbtlfo1_1280.png
https://blackhairinformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Split-ends-and-mid-shaft-splits-2.png

The images are from Type 3c/4 hair bloggers, but looking at older threads from this forum describing these kinds of splits, I understood these "holes" can also occur in non-curly hair.

TatsuOni
July 26th, 2020, 03:44 AM
I can't say that I have a lot of them, but I do encounter them in my hair every once in a while.

Jane99
July 26th, 2020, 05:49 AM
Yeah I have no shortage of those, but fewer since I started taking better care of my hair. I had them way before I ever had a TT. I’ve had many hair care changes in the last year so I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint any one change as to why I have fewer now. Possible changes could be, more thorough S&Ding with better scissors, not using heat, using henna/cassia, not using harsh SLS shampoo every day, oiling the ends after washing, pre-poo coconut oil overnight, catnip rinses. I’m hoping that leaving my hair up in a bun most of the day every day will prevent more splits, and not getting the lengths wet daily I hope will also help. I believe my hard water may be adding to the problem. Also my hair has damage from a history of blow drying daily, not wearing it up, a recent bleach and dye in October 2019, shampoo daily with SLS, wet brushing it with a brush. This could have contributed to protein loss, contributing to splits.

sipnsun
July 26th, 2020, 06:04 AM
I also get mid-shaft splits, I assume they are from my days of blow outs and bleach which I did regularly until March of this year. I don't own a TT so I can rule that out for sure. I did a S&D this morning and had a lot less than usual so I think following a Capillary schedule has been good for it.

lapushka
July 26th, 2020, 07:22 AM
I haven't ever had any of those, and I have been using a TT (even a knock-off), for over a decade! Since they came out on the market, in fact.

I do always keep my hair moisturized really well and splits are really not in my vocabulary. :o

Those are in fact awesome! I don't think I have seen many of those, Fimu! I mean, yeah it's annoying to have them but at the same time... how cool! :)

Fimu
July 26th, 2020, 10:57 AM
Yeah I have no shortage of those, but fewer since I started taking better care of my hair. I had them way before I ever had a TT. I’ve had many hair care changes in the last year so I wouldn’t be able to pinpoint any one change as to why I have fewer now. Possible changes could be, more thorough S&Ding with better scissors, not using heat, using henna/cassia, not using harsh SLS shampoo every day, oiling the ends after washing, pre-poo coconut oil overnight, catnip rinses. I’m hoping that leaving my hair up in a bun most of the day every day will prevent more splits, and not getting the lengths wet daily I hope will also help. I believe my hard water may be adding to the problem. Also my hair has damage from a history of blow drying daily, not wearing it up, a recent bleach and dye in October 2019, shampoo daily with SLS, wet brushing it with a brush. This could have contributed to protein loss, contributing to splits.

I need an SLES now and then for clarifying (1 to 3 times a month), but I'm recently trying out diluted shampoo. Until last spring I also clarified with olefin sulfonates shampoos.

I did weekly diffusing and hood drying on medium heat in late 2018 to early 2019, but now I'm back to plop + air drying. I've never dyed my hair with harsh chemicals, but I'm growing out my hennaed hair because it can work conflicting on high-porosity coarse hair.

Hmmm wet brushing is a popular styling practice in curly communities. In the past I used a Denman now and then, and since last year I use a Wet Brush on conditioned hair for wet trims.

I also live in a hard water area but it doesn't accumulate limescale quickly on bathroom stuff.

In 2018 and 2019 I didn't pre-poo consistently but now I do :). But I use olive oil instead of coconut atm. And I reintroduced oil styling as well.

Fimu
July 26th, 2020, 10:58 AM
I also get mid-shaft splits, I assume they are from my days of blow outs and bleach which I did regularly until March of this year. I don't own a TT so I can rule that out for sure. I did a S&D this morning and had a lot less than usual so I think following a Capillary schedule has been good for it.

Can you refer me to a Capillary thread on this forum? I only know it from IG.

sipnsun
July 26th, 2020, 11:42 AM

I learned about it through youtube from OrganicallyAnna's channel. I also follow her on IG and she's doing a summer growth challenge which ultimately led me back to the LHC after a break. I haven't seen a thread on here that goes into any detail so I would recommend checking her channel out in the meantime. I'll do a search on the forum and if I find anything I'll link it.

sipnsun
July 26th, 2020, 11:48 AM

Here ya go, Gisela gives a terrific explanation of each step in the process.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148745&highlight=capillary+schedule