PDA

View Full Version : What to do about over chlorinated water?

lostchyld
July 24th, 2020, 12:09 AM
Our municipal water system has been more chlorinated than usual, or I've gotten more sensitive. Either way, what comes out of the faucet smells like a public swimming pool and the shower has started to make me dizzy, it's so strong. I'm not certain how to test levels at home or who to report this to to get it tested.

I'm basically blind getting out of the shower, because any little drip in my eyes starts the itching and swelling, and my skin is getting really bad too. Not to mention the internal havoc from this being my drinking water. And I think it's not washing out of my clothes or something, because my clothes have been getting itchier and causing hives.

I need suggestions. I can purchase drinking water easily. The food coop is blocks from my house and has the best water. But that doesn't resolve the skin and eye problems from the tap water. I'm not even worried about my hair at this point. I just need to be able to shower comfortably.

-Fern
July 24th, 2020, 03:42 AM
You can contact your municipal water supplier directly (same people you pay your water bill to, or if you are in an apartment, generally the city has a water authority). They can easily do a spot test (usually using a hose connection outside the building) with chlorine strips or a chlorine meter. Sometimes there is a temporary surge due to an issue atthe water treatment plant, but it shouldn't last more than a day or two. If it is high longer than that, they may not be aware of the issue. Sometimes they will need to flush the water main to fix it.

Lucy McLucyFace
July 24th, 2020, 04:22 AM
I second the previous reply with something to add: always complain in situations like this. Even if it's temporary. If nobody complains and sits back waiting for the authorities to fix it, the problem will continue. Email local authorities, make sure to describe everything you said here but as exaggerated and dramatic as possible.

Lucy McLucyFace
July 24th, 2020, 04:25 AM
But for the time being you could wash your hair the way it was done before running water: use a large bowl and some way of pouring bottled water (a large jar for example) and gradually pour it over your hair so you use as little water as possible

Lady Stardust
July 24th, 2020, 04:34 AM
I agree that you should complain.

In the meantime, something in the back of my mind tells me that you can leave water to stand and the chlorine will evaporate. I think it should stand for at least an hour, but I have no idea if that’s correct. It’s information that has lodged itself in my brain somewhere.

Jane99
July 24th, 2020, 05:05 AM
Sending a complaint is a great idea!
And you can look into a shower filter. I believe they are more effective for chlorine than hard water

sipnsun
July 24th, 2020, 05:24 AM
I would start with where ever you pay your water bill, maybe they can direct you with whomever you need to speak with. In the meantime, a shower water filter is a quick and easy add on. We bought ours at Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember) and it was pretty inexpensive. It not only filters the water, it softens it too. Good luck, that sucks and I'm sorry you are having to deal with that!

Kalamazoo
July 24th, 2020, 07:10 AM
I buy bottled spring water to use for dip & pour bathing & hair-washing (after heating it on the stove to a comfortable lukewarm, carry it to the shower, and pour it over my washcloth or self. It takes less than 2 gallons for bathing + hair-washing.), as well as drinking & cooking. Sometimes, I have rinsed dishes in bottled water after washing them in tap water. When I thought I was sensitive to my freshly laundered clothes, I switched laundry detergents. My current favorites are "Free & Clear" made by either Seventh Generation or the Eos brand. I also avoided using fabric softener for the longest time, due to not getting along with perfumes, etc. Recently, I found wool balls (about the size of tennis balls) being sold for adding to the dryer instead of fabric softener. I like them. ... What I'm trying to say is, I think it's easier to change one's laundry detergent & fabric softener, than to change the water in one's washing machine, so if you can solve the problem by switching detergent & softener, that would be nice. But if the water's the problem, well, some people get a whole-house reverse osmosis water filter installed. I don't think that's an option for me as an apartment dweller, which is why I continue to buy bottled water.

Yes, Mama told me years ago to let the chlorinated tapwater stand for about a day before using it to water houseplants, to let the chlorine evaporate.

Chromis
July 24th, 2020, 10:05 AM
If it is chlorine, letting the water stand will let it evaporate, but not if it is chloramine. Your district should have this information available. If you can't find it online, ask them when you call in!

MusicalSpoons
July 24th, 2020, 04:47 PM
Oh, miracle water - citric acid and ascorbic acid, for washing so your skin is happier. 1/32 teaspoon ascorbic acid + 1/4 teaspoon citric acid to one gallon water, or to whatever level makes your water taste slightly sour/citrusy.

Most shower filters don't soften the water (even though they claim to :rolleyes:) but they do neutralise chlorine/chloramine. You can even get Vitamin C filters which will just do the chlorine/chloramine; I'm not sure if they're more expensive or not but until the problem is sorted it might be worth a try.

LadyLongLocks
July 25th, 2020, 01:35 PM
I just moved from an area where the water had lots of chlorine. I put a shower water filter in and it really helped. You could always rinse with filtered water in the shower but its a pain. Our chlorine varied a lot and some days it was so strong.( Chicago suburb) I now have well water in my new home and a water softener.Chlorine is known to evaporate if left in the open. Hope you find a solution.