PDA

View Full Version : Hairstylist tips/habits/situation/experience that make you cringe ?

GoldenRussian
July 18th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Share it with us :)

Bri-Chan
July 19th, 2020, 02:37 AM
Why assuming that my hair should be easy to manage because I have fine hair? And why none can actually detangle it? It's not that difficult but hairdressers have always struggles with it. I mean, if I can do it, why someone who should be qualified to take care of hair, cannot? It's not just one hairdresser, I always had this experience here, since when I was a child and both if my hair was super healthy or damaged. I'm actually afraid now to go to an hairdresser because my hair is extremely damaged but I can deal with that, but an hairdresser would probably end causing a lot of breakage.

I came to the conclusion that my hair is extremely rare in my geographic area. Very very fine (like children hair) but with some area with a very high density. But still frustrating.

Vacurlylady
July 19th, 2020, 03:17 AM
I’m quite sure IF I went she would think to get the thinning shears out AND the blow dryer. My hair is curly and thick. Not a good combo.

Although, my stylist is a dear friend ❤️ and I know without a doubt that she would listen and do EXACTLY what I want now. I have just never been so specific with my hair in the past. So it’s all not her fault.

lapushka
July 19th, 2020, 10:37 AM
What always had me go... "not again", was that every single stylist without fail told me this. "You have fine hair. You can't possibly have that much hair, but you have a lot of hair." And then those who just thought that one tube of dye would do, and then when half the dye was on would have to go mix a second batch (with a lot of sighing involved). Hated that!

Jane99
July 19th, 2020, 11:35 AM
They always blow dry my hair and make it as straight as possible and take out any volume I could possibly have, even when I always say I try to have volume in my hair. Every time. Never again!!

Kat
July 19th, 2020, 08:39 PM
Ripping a comb through my hair after washing while I listen to the hair snap and break. I loved my former stylist... my mom and I would go together. She'd wash my hair and let me detangle it while she cut my mom's hair, then she'd trim my hair. Worked perfectly. Don't know if I would ever again get a stylist to wait for me to finger-detangle my own hair though (especially since it works best not when it's dripping wet).

I've actually asked salons before if I can just show up with clean, damp, detangled hair rather than have it washed there, for precisely this reason.

0xalis
July 19th, 2020, 08:42 PM
I once had a super cuts hairdresser insist on letting her wash my hair. I think she was grossed out by my sebum :rolleyes: And of course they only use shampoo, no conditioner... at least it was pleasant enough but I was super embarrassed the whole time. At least this last time the hair dresser didn't seem to give 1 crap about that and cut my hair exactly as I asked lol.

Shorty89
July 19th, 2020, 08:49 PM
I once had a super cuts hairdresser insist on letting her wash my hair. I think she was grossed out by my sebum :rolleyes: And of course they only use shampoo, no conditioner... at least it was pleasant enough but I was super embarrassed the whole time. At least this last time the hair dresser didn't seem to give 1 crap about that and cut my hair exactly as I asked lol.

Why wouldn't they use conditioner? That would result in so many tangles and splits on my hair!

I mostly cut my own hair but theone time I actually went to a salon to get my hair (mostly my bangs) cut, she used a silicone based serum despite me saying that I don't want cones on my hair. Thankfully, she did a good job on the actual cut, but didn't understand what cones were and upcharged me because my hair was long (it was dry cut, no shampooing or conditioning etc).

Jools69
July 19th, 2020, 11:03 PM
When I used to have frequent trims and sometimes perms in the 80s and 90s, when hairdressers used to tease the hair to achieve the ‘big hair’ look. They would look at me if I was weird, when I asked for it not to be teased, but still couldn’t help themselves and still do some. :rolleyes:

Yeahnah
July 20th, 2020, 03:08 AM
Why on earth do hairdressers not know how to use a diffuser on curly hair? EVERYTIME I let the hairdresser style my curls I always leave with a frizzy mop and wash and style myself wheh I get home. Every single one just carelessly rakes their combs through my wet hair, while bunching random clumps into the diffuser and vigorously shaking it up and down, then brush again. And then after all that they go get their cream (which I've learnt is never good) and roughly scrunch through, leaving a crunchie coat on whatever isn't frizzy.

I just ask them to straighten it now :O

Yeahnah
July 20th, 2020, 03:09 AM
Oh yeah, I've had the whole second batch thing too

florenonite
July 20th, 2020, 05:38 AM
Why wouldn't they use conditioner? That would result in so many tangles and splits on my hair!

I mostly cut my own hair but theone time I actually went to a salon to get my hair (mostly my bangs) cut, she used a silicone based serum despite me saying that I don't want cones on my hair. Thankfully, she did a good job on the actual cut, but didn't understand what cones were and upcharged me because my hair was long (it was dry cut, no shampooing or conditioning etc).

Oh goodness, my pet peeve is when stylists charge more for longer hair, or charge more for women than men. A blunt cut at waist length on a woman isn't harder or more time-consuming than a lot of fashionable men's styles (and of course some women have buzz cuts and some men have long hair).

I can see charging more if there's a lot of hair to shampoo/condition/blow dry, or it's a more complex cut that takes more time and skill, or even if the hair is long enough that the stylist needs to crouch down the whole time to trim it, but it drives me batty when I'm charged twice as much just because I'm a woman with below shoulder-length hair and all I want is a blunt cut with a bevelled hemline.

Bat
July 20th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Oh goodness, my pet peeve is when stylists charge more for longer hair, or charge more for women than men. A blunt cut at waist length on a woman isn't harder or more time-consuming than a lot of fashionable men's styles (and of course some women have buzz cuts and some men have long hair).

I can see charging more if there's a lot of hair to shampoo/condition/blow dry, or it's a more complex cut that takes more time and skill, or even if the hair is long enough that the stylist needs to crouch down the whole time to trim it, but it drives me batty when I'm charged twice as much just because I'm a woman with below shoulder-length hair and all I want is a blunt cut with a bevelled hemline.

This bothers me too I'm female to male trans gendered and I've had female and male pricing pricing should be either because of the length of hair or what process is, being done to it, and they should charge the same no matter what gender, times have changed, more men these days are growing long hair because of the man bun fad

Bat
July 20th, 2020, 05:52 AM
What annoys me is when they wash your hair the water is either too cold or too hot and the chairs are torture devices for necks

Xlena
July 20th, 2020, 07:31 AM
Hair dressers never using heat protectant but passing the blowdrier or the flat iron 100 times in the same lock.

ZoeZ
July 20th, 2020, 07:56 AM
This bothers me too I'm female to male trans gendered and I've had female and male pricing pricing should be either because of the length of hair or what process is, being done to it, and they should charge the same no matter what gender, times have changed, more men these days are growing long hair because of the man bun fad

Nice to hear from someone who has seen both sides. I always wondered if I was just being paranoid with the male-female price differences. :)

Jools69
July 20th, 2020, 09:31 AM

This also grinds my gears, too. Once while I was waiting for a 5 minute dry trim on my SL hair, I watched a man having his hair done. He must of sat in the chair for a minimum of 15 minutes. He had his short hair washed, then cut with layers - all of which were being checked over a couple of times, before the stylist used the clippers to neaten around the edges. How can they justify to charge me more because I’m female? Especially now us women have to pay more car insurance to match men’s premiums, as not to discriminate!:steam

ZoeZ
July 20th, 2020, 05:34 PM
This also grinds my gears, too. Once while I was waiting for a 5 minute dry trim on my SL hair, I watched a man having his hair done. He must of sat in the chair for a minimum of 15 minutes. He had his short hair washed, then cut with layers - all of which were being checked over a couple of times, before the stylist used the clippers to neaten around the edges. How can they justify to charge me more because I’m female? Especially now us women have to pay more car insurance to match men’s premiums, as not to discriminate!:steam

Would men's hair not take longer as a rule anyway, to most women's cuts? you can hide a lot of irregularities in a woman's longer hair, a man's hair has to be pretty precisely cut and even. I've gotten too many really bad haircuts in the past which seems to be simply carelessness on the stylist's part - many times I've found a far longer strand of hair in the cut that I have had to cut out myself to even up. Long hair is so much easier!

Ylva
July 20th, 2020, 07:11 PM
I've shared this story on the forum before but might as well write it out again.

In the past, I was always stylist-hopping to whoever my mom went to at the time. I think I went in for highlights, which the hairdresser (who had a very short style that was apparently dyed dark) accomplished beautifully, but the tragedy started in the sink. She quite obviously had no experience with long hair (mine was past hip back then as well, I think this was in early 2017). My hair got hopelessly tangled in the sink and she proceeded to RIP a brush through my FRESHLY BLEACHED hair while it was wet. My scalp was hurting to the point that it was genuinely uncomfortable, and I'm pretty stoic. I was watching the blonde hairs gather at the hairbrush at an alarming speed while she was yanking the brush down from the top of my head down to about ear-level where it would get stuck in tangles. I hinted about the amount of hair that was breaking off, but she laughed it off in some way which I have, probably luckily, forgotten.

My current ends are probably still from that time. No wonder they're a bit thin.

SleepyTangles
July 21st, 2020, 02:35 AM
Backcombing, as I'd ever need more tangles than I already have.

Feral_
July 21st, 2020, 03:26 AM
What annoys me is when they wash your hair the water is either too cold or too hot and the chairs are torture devices for necks

Staring at one piece of leftover tinsel sellotaped on the ceiling, while at the same time wondering how many degrees of cervical spine extension your neck is being forced into.

The celebrity magazines. For the love of god why.

The inane chit chat / forced conversation.

RunOnCaffeine
July 21st, 2020, 03:36 AM
Razoring and thinning out my hair. My hair behaves better with weight and it took me years to work this out.

sipnsun
July 21st, 2020, 04:29 AM
Using thinning shears on my ends for 'movement' (I prefer straight blunt ends) and drying me till I'm crispy then putting the flat iron on my fine, highlighted hair on the highest temperature. I've had to ask her not to do any of these things anymore and she was happy to accommodate.

truepeacenik
July 21st, 2020, 08:22 AM
Using thinning shears on my ends for 'movement' (I prefer straight blunt ends) and drying me till I'm crispy then putting the flat iron on my fine, highlighted hair on the highest temperature. I've had to ask her not to do any of these things anymore and she was happy to accommodate.

So, stylists fake fairytale ends?

Ylva
July 21st, 2020, 08:53 AM

They seem to, quite often! But naturally, it is only cool and acceptable if they are purposely cut in... Otherwise, they're "dead ends". :rolleyes:

TatsuOni
July 21st, 2020, 10:57 AM
They seem to, quite often! But naturally, it is only cool and acceptable if they are purposely cut in... Otherwise, they're "dead ends". :rolleyes:

I've never understood this... But the same goes for a lot of things. Like using a lot of hair oil is "disgusting", but half a jar of wax or whatever that makes your hair looks like you've poured butter over it, is styled and trendy.

Hexana
July 21st, 2020, 11:19 AM
Like using a lot of hair oil is "disgusting", but half a jar of wax or whatever that makes your hair looks like you've poured butter over it, is styled and trendy.

This! I never got this either. When I used to go to hairdressers they always asked (after blow drying my hair) if they can put some oil on my (dry) ends. Of course not knowing much about haircare then I said yes. And I always, ALWAYS looked like I haven't washed my hair for weeks when they were finished.

florenonite
July 21st, 2020, 11:56 AM
I've never understood this... But the same goes for a lot of things. Like using a lot of hair oil is "disgusting", but half a jar of wax or whatever that makes your hair looks like you've poured butter over it, is styled and trendy.

And now grey hair is trendy - but only if you have naturally darker hair and you bleach it and tone it to a cool ashy grey. Otherwise you're "letting yourself go".

TatsuOni
July 21st, 2020, 12:19 PM
And now grey hair is trendy - but only if you have naturally darker hair and you bleach it and tone it to a cool ashy grey. Otherwise you're "letting yourself go".

So the trend is simply to spend money to get what "nature" gives for free :rolleyes:

spidermom
July 21st, 2020, 01:12 PM
I think the worst thing was when thinning shears were used on my hair. I don' have a problem with my hair being thick, and I had no idea that thinning shears would result in tens of thousands of little ends poking out through long hair all over the place. If anything, it increased the volume in my hair because of the shorter ends pushing out the longer strands.

Kat
July 21st, 2020, 09:30 PM

I have a friend who went to a barbershop for a men's cut... and they told her they don't cut women's hair. "But I want a men's haircut," she said. Didn't matter. *headdesk*

YES. What is/was with that "gray hair" trend? It's "cool" when you're 20 but when you're 40 it's gross?

(That's up there with glasses being "cute" when worn for fashion but unattractive if you're wearing them because you actually need them.)

jane_marie
July 21st, 2020, 09:38 PM
1. I have no desire for a blowout. I don't care if the dryer is on cool.

2. Why can no one cut a blunt line into thick hair? I know for a fact it isn't that hard.

3. Please don't wash my hair. I don't know what is in that shampoo.

Bat
July 22nd, 2020, 01:22 AM
I have a friend who went to a barbershop for a men's cut... and they told her they don't cut women's hair. "But I want a men's haircut," she said. Didn't matter. *headdesk*

hopefully she found a better barber than that one!

Bat
July 22nd, 2020, 01:24 AM
Staring at one piece of leftover tinsel sellotaped on the ceiling, while at the same time wondering how many degrees of cervical spine extension your neck is being forced into.

The celebrity magazines. For the love of god why.

The inane chit chat / forced conversation.

^^^^ yes that, I much prefer a hairdresser that works instead of talks, I've said somewhere before if they talk too much they don't have their attention fully on my hair

florenonite
July 22nd, 2020, 05:34 AM
YES. What is/was with that "gray hair" trend? It's "cool" when you're 20 but when you're 40 it's gross?

(That's up there with glasses being "cute" when worn for fashion but unattractive if you're wearing them because you actually need them.)

Yeah, I found it absolutely wild when I first saw it because my natural colour is a very ashy dark blonde/light brown colour, to the point where when I haven't hennaed in a couple of months my roots DO look grey. And before I started hennaing people used to act like it was somehow shocking that I didn't highlight my hair because it was such a "boring" colour. But now it's fashionable to get your hair bayalaged to look like mine used to naturally.

(FTR, I didn't henna because my natural colour is "boring". I actually do rather like it. I have just always, always loved red hair).

Roses-at-dawn
July 22nd, 2020, 08:46 AM
Used to have a stylist who would heavily push products that I absolutely didn't need. Every time I went in it was "what about this serum? or this shampoo? or this hairdryer?" Like lady, I have what I need, just cut my hair.

SleepyTangles
July 22nd, 2020, 09:26 AM
1. I have no desire for a blowout. I don't care if the dryer is on cool.

2. Why can no one cut a blunt line into thick hair? I know for a fact it isn't that hard.

3. Please don't wash my hair. I don't know what is in that shampoo.

My hairdresser is a gem, but she always looks at me weirdly when I tell her I want my hair to airdry (in winter)
Like I'm nuts :crazyq:
I just don't like the kind of volume that her ultra powerful blow drier gives me: I feel like an housewife from the 60's.

But she always let's me bring my own shampoo+conditioner, so ++!

sipnsun
July 22nd, 2020, 10:38 AM

Yes! But the sad thing is, if I went in with fairy tale ends she would probably want to blunt them ugh! It makes no sense and I'm a former stylist, sigh.

PallasAthena
July 22nd, 2020, 03:10 PM
Well, I haven't been to a hairdresser since about 1992 but there is a reason for that. One was because, at the time, I wore my hair very short but was still charged for a woman's cut for no reason.

I have genetic hair loss which started at around 17. It mostly is just a slowly thinning spot behind my hairline and diffuse thinning, pretty easy to hide with styling. I would get so annoyed by all the ideas hairstylists had as to why my hair was thinning and how to stop it. I heard: don't wear headbands or hats, your hair needs to breath. Don't use so much conditioner, it makes your hair fall out. No, use more conditioner. Take biotin. Drink blackstrap molasses. Castor oil!

I'm sure all of this stuff has some relevence for people with traction alopecia, whose hair can eventually grow back, but this is genetic. See my mom? See my moms' hair? That's where it comes from. Grandmas' is the same. Now give me a combover, please.

Whew. Sorry for rant!