PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Silk Pillowcase?

Shorty89
July 18th, 2020, 11:22 AM
I've been using a silk pillowcase every other week lately and, while I like the results, I've also had some side effects. When I use it, I wake up with a stuffed-up nose and itchy eyes. It took me a while to put it together with the pillowcase, but I can't think of anything else it could be. I know it's not my detergent or dryer sheets. I use the same ones for all my laundry and don't get a reaction from my cotton pillowcases. It's not that the pillowcase is dirty since this happens from the first day I change my sheets. My only other thought is that the pillowcase is old. I got it from my parents who received silk pillowcases 30+ years ago as a wedding gift. They never used them and I took one to try out a while ago. Could the silk sitting for years cause my allergic symptoms? I also can't say for sure if it's silk or satin. Any tag has either faded or been removed.

I could buy another pillowcase to test, but I'd hate to spend that much money only to find that new silk ones cause the same issues. But, I do love that I have less frizz when I use the pillowcase. I'm hoping that there's another explanation besides an allergic response. Any ideas? I'd love alternatives to a silk pillowcase too. Maybe just high thread count cotton?

lapushka
July 18th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Can't be the age of the item... Nope.

Could be that you are allergic. Have you tried taking something for allergies, and then seeing if you still have it that night? Might be a little convoluted to try and figure it out, but at least you'll have it solved then.

I would not throw them out.

I use microfiber bedding (except for my cotton sheets, so duvet cover, and pillow cases). It is as smooth as silk and you can wash it on a hot cycle (60°C), which is what I need from all of my bedding!

luluj
July 18th, 2020, 11:44 AM
It would seem as though something to do with the silk pillowcase is causing your discomfort. I am intrigued because I have a family member who said the same thing. They suggested that the silk scarf I bought for them was causing the same reactions as you mentioned.

I did a quick search and came up with this bit of info...

"Silk allergies are quite rare so generally it’s safe for most people. Though also rare, allergies to plant-based fibers like cotton or linen can also occur. But if these are causing a reaction chances are it’s not the fiber itself that’s the culprit."

The entire article.....

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ava-shamban-your-skin-and-your-health/weathering-fabric-allergies/

apollosdrawer
July 18th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Silk is a material and is supposed to be hypoallergenic. But I think satin is a weave, so if it is satin you could be allergic to something in it! I would get a 100% silk pillowcase if you're still interested and see if you fare better before deciding

Shorty89
July 18th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Can't be the age of the item... Nope.

Could be that you are allergic. Have you tried taking something for allergies, and then seeing if you still have it that night? Might be a little convoluted to try and figure it out, but at least you'll have it solved then.

I would not throw them out.

I use microfiber bedding (except for my cotton sheets, so duvet cover, and pillow cases). It is as smooth as silk and you can wash it on a hot cycle (60°C), which is what I need from all of my bedding!

I actually already take something every morning for allergies so I'm not if that would work for me. I'll look into microfiber bedding though. That does sound nice and I should probably get a new set of sheets in the next 6 months.

It would seem as though something to do with the silk pillowcase is causing your discomfort. I am intrigued because I have a family member who said the same thing. They suggested that the silk scarf I bought for them was causing the same reactions as you mentioned.

I did a quick search and came up with this bit of info...

"Silk allergies are quite rare so generally it’s safe for most people. Though also rare, allergies to plant-based fibers like cotton or linen can also occur. But if these are causing a reaction chances are it’s not the fiber itself that’s the culprit."

The entire article.....

https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ava-shamban-your-skin-and-your-health/weathering-fabric-allergies/

Silk is a material and is supposed to be hypoallergenic. But I think satin is a weave, so if it is satin you could be allergic to something in it! I would get a 100% silk pillowcase if you're still interested and see if you fare better before deciding

Thanks for the article. I do have cranky skin and asthma plus allergies (that have mostly been in remission until this year). Is there a way to tell if an item is satin or silk? That would probably help me a bit. I just hate paying $40+ for a silk pillowcase that I might not be able to use. I'm cheap like that. :lol:

Jane99
July 18th, 2020, 01:55 PM
I’m not sure if in Canada there is the same offerings on Amazon as in the US but I was able to get 2 silk pillowcases for like $15.

Reyn127
July 18th, 2020, 02:06 PM
You may not want to do this to your pillowcase, but there is one way that I know of to determine if your fabric is silk or synthetic - put a little flame to it and see how it burns. Silk should make ash, and charred edges which you can unravel. Anything synthetic will melt, and make a melted, bubbly "edge". The smell of the smoke should be able to help you as well, if it smells plastic-y it will be synthetic material but if it smells like hair burning it is likely a natural fiber.

And yes, like Apollosdrawer said, silk doesn't necessarily = satin, so if you are allergic to the material, you can likely find an alternative that will still be gentle on your hair. If it's silk that you are allergic to, just try to find a satin weave made out of any other material. If your pillowcase is synthetic material, you CAN try silk (which doesn't HAVE to be in a satin weave, any weave of silk will work, although satin is best it is usually pricey), OR just a satin weave made out of a different synthetic material.

I hope that makes sense! Once you do figure out what your pillowcase material is, I would definitely stop using it entirely, despite the benefits. Allergies can get to be really terrible.

SelenVinland
July 18th, 2020, 03:33 PM
I got some inexpensive polyester satin pillowcases off of amazon for about $12USD (for two), if you're willing to go that route. If the pillowcase you're currently using is real silk that could be where the allergy is coming from. Microfiber would also probably be a good alternative, it's also gentler than cotton.

MusicalSpoons
July 20th, 2020, 01:00 PM
I got some inexpensive polyester satin pillowcases off of amazon for about $12USD (for two), if you're willing to go that route. If the pillowcase you're currently using is real silk that could be where the allergy is coming from. Microfiber would also probably be a good alternative, it's also gentler than cotton.

This is what I thought - all my synthetic satin pillowcases were around £3-4 each so would be a cheap way to test if the allergy is to the silk (and a cheap alternative, if you get on with synthetic satin!)

I wouldn't say that all weaves of silk are suitable, I've felt some really rough silk before which to me seemed like it would be worse than cotton! But a silky satin weave should be fine whatever the material.

Shorty89
July 20th, 2020, 01:02 PM
This is what I thought - all my synthetic satin pillowcases were around £3-4 each so would be a cheap way to test if the allergy is to the silk (and a cheap alternative, if you get on with synthetic satin!)

I wouldn't say that all weaves of silk are suitable, I've felt some really rough silk before which to me seemed like it would be worse than cotton! But a silky satin weave should be fine whatever the material.

That's a good idea. I was thinking of buying real silk to test things but there's no reason not to test a synthetic. As far as we (my mom and I) know, these are real silk.

Alexandrina
July 20th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Hmm, how were these pillowcases stored? You said they were over 30 years old, I know a lot of older people storing fabric items that long store them with mothballs, which can cause bad reactions if you're breathing it in a lot like you would be if it were next to your face all night?? Just a possibility.

lapushka
July 20th, 2020, 02:44 PM
Hmm, how were these pillowcases stored? You said they were over 30 years old, I know a lot of older people storing fabric items that long store them with mothballs, which can cause bad reactions if you're breathing it in a lot like you would be if it were next to your face all night?? Just a possibility.

Yes but they've been washed after a number of times, that surely doesn't come into play any longer at that time! :)

Shorty89
July 20th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Yes but they've been washed after a number of times, that surely doesn't come into play any longer at that time! :)

No mothballs were with them and as Lapushka said, they've been washed many times since then.

Alexandrina
July 20th, 2020, 06:51 PM

True, but I think it depends also on how many times you wash it and also the methods used to wash it...
For example things owned by smokers, I've seen where someone thinks they got it all out because they washed it twice already, and yes it's clean, but if someone more sensitive to smells like me smells it, the smoker smell is definitely still there!

No mothballs were with them and as Lapushka said, they've been washed many times since then.

ah okay, if there were none then I hope you find out what it is affecting you!

Robot Ninja
July 20th, 2020, 07:01 PM
You may not want to do this to your pillowcase, but there is one way that I know of to determine if your fabric is silk or synthetic - put a little flame to it and see how it burns. Silk should make ash, and charred edges which you can unravel. Anything synthetic will melt, and make a melted, bubbly "edge". The smell of the smoke should be able to help you as well, if it smells plastic-y it will be synthetic material but if it smells like hair burning it is likely a natural fiber.

If you can work a few threads out of the seam allowance you can burn those without setting the pillowcase on fire. You really should only burn a few threads when doing burn tests anyway, for safety.

And yes, like Apollosdrawer said, silk doesn't necessarily = satin, so if you are allergic to the material, you can likely find an alternative that will still be gentle on your hair. If it's silk that you are allergic to, just try to find a satin weave made out of any other material. If your pillowcase is synthetic material, you CAN try silk (which doesn't HAVE to be in a satin weave, any weave of silk will work, although satin is best it is usually pricey), OR just a satin weave made out of a different synthetic material.

Satin weaves of silk are best. Some silk is deliberately woven in a textured weave, which is no good. The reason silk is used for pillowcases is because it's a natural fiber that can be woven to be smooth.

lapushka
July 21st, 2020, 04:59 AM
True, but I think it depends also on how many times you wash it and also the methods used to wash it...
For example things owned by smokers, I've seen where someone thinks they got it all out because they washed it twice already, and yes it's clean, but if someone more sensitive to smells like me smells it, the smoker smell is definitely still there!

That must be some really *heavy* smokers then, because when washed on hot, everything comes out here (my parents smoke).

SleepyTangles
July 21st, 2020, 07:50 AM
I have very sensitive skin and dust mites can really wreak havoc to my skin and airways. Silk can be a little tricky to wash thoroughly without ruining it...
Personally, with my silk scarves (that are real silk but also quite cheap, and I don´t fear ruining), every now and then I add just a tiiiiiny bit of bleach in their water. Like, a spoon. I usually wash them by hand in a bucket of cold water with some mild baby soap. Every three or four washes I´d add the spoonful of bleach and let it sit for 15 minutes.

truepeacenik
July 21st, 2020, 08:49 AM
I actually already take something every morning for allergies so I'm not if that would work for me. I'll look into microfiber bedding though. That does sound nice and I should probably get a new set of sheets in the next 6 months.

Thanks for the article. I do have cranky skin and asthma plus allergies (that have mostly been in remission until this year). Is there a way to tell if an item is satin or silk? That would probably help me a bit. I just hate paying $40+ for a silk pillowcase that I might not be able to use. I'm cheap like that. :lol:

I use an allergy tablet good for 24 hours.
I started taking it at night so I’d wake more clear.
Could the same help your experiment?

Shorty89
July 21st, 2020, 05:21 PM
If you can work a few threads out of the seam allowance you can burn those without setting the pillowcase on fire. You really should only burn a few threads when doing burn tests anyway, for safety.

Satin weaves of silk are best. Some silk is deliberately woven in a textured weave, which is no good. The reason silk is used for pillowcases is because it's a natural fiber that can be woven to be smooth.

I'm going to try this in the next few days. Hopefully I can pull a few threads out. The seam allowance is pretty tight though.

I have very sensitive skin and dust mites can really wreak havoc to my skin and airways. Silk can be a little tricky to wash thoroughly without ruining it...
Personally, with my silk scarves (that are real silk but also quite cheap, and I don´t fear ruining), every now and then I add just a tiiiiiny bit of bleach in their water. Like, a spoon. I usually wash them by hand in a bucket of cold water with some mild baby soap. Every three or four washes I´d add the spoonful of bleach and let it sit for 15 minutes.

That's an interesting thought. Dust mites do cause me problems and I usually wash my sheets on high heat. But, I've been washing the sink pillowcase on a delicate setting. I'll try washing it with a touch of bleach and see.

I use an allergy tablet good for 24 hours.
I started taking it at night so I’d wake more clear.
Could the same help your experiment?

Mine is good for 24 hours but the first twelve work best so I'd rather not waste those with sleep. Plus, they contain caffeine which might keep me awake all night!

Shorty89
July 25th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Okay. I was only able to get two threads out of the pillowcase. They burnt quickly and shriveled. So, I think that means it isn't silk?

Robot Ninja
July 25th, 2020, 07:31 PM
Okay. I was only able to get two threads out of the pillowcase. They burnt quickly and shriveled. So, I think that means it isn't silk?

Silk does burn and shrivel. It's a protein fiber. Like hair. You have to look at the ash; if you get ash, it's a natural fiber, if you get a sticky goo, it's synthetic.

Shorty89
July 25th, 2020, 08:54 PM
Silk does burn and shrivel. It's a protein fiber. Like hair. You have to look at the ash; if you get ash, it's a natural fiber, if you get a sticky goo, it's synthetic.

I only had like two threads so I couldn't really even see the ash. :(