PDA

View Full Version : How to manage split-end-heavy hair that's been weakened from mild anemia?

Fimu
July 18th, 2020, 04:06 AM
Last summer I got diagnosed with iron deficiency but it already was going around for many more years probably. Fortunately, I'm recently recovered as I upped my ferritin levels from 18 ug/L last December to 69 ug/L this month, but this means I don't have much healthy new growth yet.

I struggle with many incomplete splits and mid-shaft splits 3 - 5 inches from the ends. Doing S&D regularly thins out my hemline too much, so I try to restrict that, yet I want to restrict trimming again until I start to see obviously improved "damage resistance" in my new growth. I'm too scissor-happy for microtrimming.

So how do you take extra care of fragile/weakened hair due to past internal imbalances in the meantime?

These are my own considerations:
* Certain tea rinses, but only if the pH is between 4 and 6.
* Investing in an Olaplex 3 bottle if my routine is settled
* Implementing more vegetable oils in my routine, like for styling and between washes. I understood that oil build-up can be removed with CO, but I have to make it work for me by letting the CO sit longer on my hair.
* I try to wear up my hair more often but I need to find more hair-friendly headbands to hide my very frizzy edges.
* if my routine is settled: mixing favorite deepco with honey if it's pH balanced (SMT isn't for my because my hair is sensitive to aloe juice)

A doubtful case is henna -- I have done full-length henna treatments three times with Nupur 9 and during those years I gained the most length, but I thought it increased the porosity due to mechanical damage and that it gives coarse hair too much of a "dry" feel, so I quit doing it since 2 years (but maybe it overlapped with my deficiency era). But perhaps I can use pure henna powder (Rajasthani) one day, but only if it's really worth the effort for coarse textured hair.

I can't let go of cones atm because they detangle better than vegetable oils on wet hair and perhaps they also provide more protection against hard & alkaline water (135 ppm, pH 8 ). I recently tried 2% ACV rinse but it didn't do much for my hair and I stay away from any very low-pH treatments.

Damage control practices I already do:
* I pre-poo my hair before every wash.
* Using fingers only for detangling and combing
* Coney conditioners for good wet detangling (I have curly hair, so wet detangling remains inevitable)
* I use protein conditioners in moderation (Silicon Mix is protein lite).
* I use distilled water for extra wetting during detangling, as final rinse after rinsing off most with shower, during styling by bowl method, in my spray bottle for refreshing.
* Protecting against the sun by wearing a light colored Buff
* trying to make time for deepco or double conditioning

My challenges are:
* Finding a balance between build-up and over-cleansing
* Reducing/delaying breakage
* Reducing tangles, but the tangles are mostly caused by (incomplete) splits
* Stiffness and rough feel on my hair between washes.

lapushka
July 18th, 2020, 11:49 AM
My mom just washed as little as possible, and conditioned well (something from the hair dresser, I mean, conditioner at that time wasn't really sold yet in regular stores at that time; it was sort of a rinse). And she kept it in a shorter cut (she didn't know what else to do, plus it was fashionable at the time). Mind you, these were the times beehives still weren't quite out of fashion, so it always looked like she had a lot of "good" hair.