PDA

View Full Version : When to use protein after bleach/dye?

Obsidian
July 17th, 2020, 05:30 PM
So I'm going to go back blond before my hair grows anymore.

Plan is to bleach, then use a ashy box dye with added violet booster followed with a toner if necessary.

My question is should I use a protein mask after the bleach but before the color or wait and use it once I'm done with all the chemical processes? Or use it after the bleach and again after the color?

I know we have some hairdressers here, hoping one will see this.

ExpectoPatronum
July 17th, 2020, 05:55 PM
I don't think it really matters that much. If I were doing this, I'd use it after all of my damaging treatments have been done.

Obsidian
July 17th, 2020, 07:47 PM
I was just wondering if the extra protein would help the color attach better. I'll probably just wait until I'm done to do it.

paulownia
July 17th, 2020, 11:07 PM
It is recommended to wait with protein treatments ( and use of penetrating oils such as coconut, for exemple) up to a week to 10 days after the colouring.
The idea is that protein is entering the hair core and might be lifting some of the fresh dye pigments that just been deposited there. Thus making the colour fade quicker.
It's safer to wait and use acidic rinses or products that close the cuticle and help the colour stay on place. After this first period you may start using protein again.
The same applies to henna. I always wait with proteins at least a week after the treatment.

Obsidian
July 18th, 2020, 07:30 AM
Thank you, I will wait then. I don't expect to have much damage, just some dryness. My hair is crazy resistant to chemicals.

paulownia
July 18th, 2020, 08:07 AM
Thank you, I will wait then. I don't expect to have much damage, just some dryness. My hair is crazy resistant to chemicals.
You can combat dryness with moisturizing treatments ;) aloe vera and honey will be your friends:o