PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Dye Allergy

carlablack
November 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hello!

I've got allergy against almost everything (what my doctor said when he applied a test on me).

and now i'm worried about a possible hair dye allergy :S I never dyed my hair before, but bleached hair on my arms, which made me suspicious because although there were no redness, swell etc. it was a little itchy :/

so, as i'm planning to dye my hair in future, i wonder ,

- is it bleach or dye itself that causes most problems? or both?
- which is safer? darker or lighter colours? (in terms of allergy)

thanks in advance! :)

Islandgrrl
November 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Carla, it all depends on what your allergy is to. :)

All commercial hair dye is loaded with chemicals, any of which can provoke a reaction. It's absolutely essential that you do a patch test on a small area of your skin at least 24 hours before you plan to use the product, to determine if you have a sensitivity or allergy before you go slathering anything all over your head. Most of the time an allergic reaction will be readily apparent, but they can also be somewhat delayed, showing up hours after exposure. And you have to do this every time you color - you could be allergic to something today you've never been allergic to before (ex: I've eaten walnuts my entire life - last year I became crazy allergic to them).

Even if you don't have a contact reaction to commercial hair dye, there are also very noxious fumes associated with the products that can cause a reaction if you have asthma or any other breathing issues.

Natural dyes like henna and indigo can also cause reactions, although it's not as common.

I don't really know which is safer, light or dark. Dark is usually not as harsh on your hair, but I don't know for sure.

I have heaps of allergies. I don't use commercial hair dye anymore (I used to dye my hair brown :shudder:) because I started becoming sensitive to something in the dye (burning sensation & itchy afterward - I decided not to push my luck). I use henna to cover the grey at my temples with absolutely no side effects (other than the whole henna addiction thing).

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hello!

I've got allergy against almost everything (what my doctor said when he applied a test on me).

and now i'm worried about a possible hair dye allergy :S I never dyed my hair before, but bleached hair on my arms, which made me suspicious because although there were no redness, swell etc. it was a little itchy :/

so, as i'm planning to dye my hair in future, i wonder ,

- is it bleach or dye itself that causes most problems? or both?
- which is safer? darker or lighter colours? (in terms of allergy)

thanks in advance! :)

Conventional hydrogen peroxide and bleach can both damage skin and sting. The damage depends on the potency (volume of the peroxide) used and the amount of bleach and time applied.

With hair colours, like anything else, it can be tricky.

One can be allergic to anything. Even though many may not react to a specific dye, you might.

burns_erin
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I stongly agree with the patch test, but I would suggest waiting 3 days, because 2.5 or so was the longest it has ever taken for me to have a reaction. But remember, you can develop an allergy or reaction at any time in the future, and the more you expose yourself when you start having reactions, the more likely they are to be more serious. I would speak with your physician about the specifics as they are the most conversant with what exactly you are allergic to.

And btw, if you do not mind looking silly, for breathing issues, you can always wear a respirator.

Loviatar
June 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM
If you raise your alergen level in your blood, the body stops reaction!!!

While whatever you did worked for you, it is highly dangerous to advise people to deliberately take an allergen into their bodies if they are or may be allergic to that item.

I have a friend Pippa who is severely allergic to alcohol. If she raises her alcohol levels as you describe, it could and probably would kill her. I am not joking. My mother is highly allergic to dust and various flower pollens, my sister is allergic to chocolate. I have another friend Abbie who can never use PPD hair dyes again for similar reasons. In both of these cases, none of them would 'stop reaction'. They would be seriously ill or damaged, possibly fatally in Pippa's case.

I myself am allergic to bergamot oil and to certain suntan lotions. I would in no way use these preparations to try and desensitise myself to the allergens. I do take mixed pollens from a homoeopath to combat my hay fever. This may be similar to how you dealt with your indigo allergy. However my pollens are prescribed and I am monitored.

Please do not advise anyone to take neat allergens into their bodies unless you are a professional trained in allergy desensitisation (such as EPD) who is completely understanding of that specific person's care. Everyone is different and 'raising the level of the allergen' in blood or body will not have the same effect on everyone.

Mods - various posts reported.

Alvrodul
June 15th, 2012, 06:28 AM
While whatever you did worked for you, it is highly dangerous to advise people to deliberately take an allergen into their bodies if they are or may be allergic to that item.

I have a friend Pippa who is severely allergic to alcohol. If she raises her alcohol levels as you describe, it could and probably would kill her. I am not joking. My mother is highly allergic to dust and various flower pollens, my sister is allergic to chocolate. I have another friend Abbie who can never use PPD hair dyes again for similar reasons. In both of these cases, none of them would 'stop reaction'. They would be seriously ill or damaged, possibly fatally in Pippa's case.

I myself am allergic to bergamot oil and to certain suntan lotions. I would in no way use these preparations to try and desensitise myself to the allergens. I do take mixed pollens from a homoeopath to combat my hay fever. This may be similar to how you dealt with your indigo allergy. However my pollens are prescribed and I am monitored.

Please do not advise anyone to take neat allergens into their bodies unless you are a professional trained in allergy desensitisation (such as EPD) who is completely understanding of that specific person's care. Everyone is different and 'raising the level of the allergen' in blood or body will not have the same effect on everyone.

Mods - various posts reported.
^^ This. Allergies can be deadly! I strongly recommend that you discuss it with your physician, and definitely DON'T experiment on your own!